"thinking about" action

oaf

Mar 8, 2010, 1:47:38 AM3/8/10
trying to make an action to think about things even if they are not
visible. think about food, sex, a person who isnt there at the time
etc etc.

thinking about is an action applying to one thing. Understand "think
about [something]" as thinking about.

works fine for things I can see but once they are no longer visible I
get :

You can't see any such thing.

I figured saying one thing and not one visible thing would do the
trick but I was incorrect.

Jim Aikin

Mar 8, 2010, 2:04:05 AM3/8/10
Try it this way:

[code]
A thing has some text called the cogitation. The cogitation of a thing
is usually "Answer hazy -- try again later."

Thinking about is an action applying to one visible thing. Understand
"think about [any thing]" as thinking about.

Carry out thinking about:
say "[cogitation of the noun][line break]".
[end code]

Contrary to what one would expect, "one visible thing" doesn't have to
be visible to the player at the moment, whereas "one thing" does.

--JA

mwigdahl

Mar 8, 2010, 9:37:26 AM3/8/10

Just to clarify Jim's excellent example -- it's the "any" in [any
thing] that allows you to refer to things out of scope.

Matt

oaf

Mar 8, 2010, 11:06:03 AM3/8/10

excellent, I appreciate the help guys.

namekuseijin

Mar 8, 2010, 1:13:09 PM3/8/10
On Mar 8, 4:04 am, Jim Aikin <midigur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Contrary to what one would expect, "one visible thing" doesn't have to
> be visible to the player at the moment, whereas "one thing" does.

That's truly utterly counter-intuitive. But thanks for the sweet
code, Jim.