txtMap, an adventure generator from textual input

balt...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2007, 1:57:09 PM7/7/07
Hi, there !

This is to announce the availability (even in english) of the txtMap
tool. This tool accepts an input of text, similar to the transcription
of a game, and is able to generate the source code for inform.

The following items are supported: room/object descriptions, room
connections, inventory (i.e., objects that are carried by the player
when the game is begun), and designation of carriable objects.

For example, with an input such as the following one:

==
Room 1
This is room1.

> ex lantern
It illuminates the room.

Room 2
This is room 2.

> ex knife
A knife.

> take knife
Taken.
==

txtMap would create inform code for two rooms, two objects (a knife,
carriable, and a lantern, static), and a connection by the east in
order to go from room1 to room2.

The creation of the adventure, provided the previous input file is
saved as example.txt, is:

$ txtmap --PL=inform example.txt
$ inform example.inf
$ frotz example.z5

This tool allows a truly declarative language to be employed in order
to define adventures. However, is *not* able to create actions, say
move an object from a location to another one when another is taken.

A link to a small article in english:

http://caad.es/baltasarq/txtmap_eng/txtmap.html

Salud !

Baltasar

Chitterbits

Jul 7, 2007, 5:00:03 PM7/7/07
Baltasar, sounds like txtMap would help some of our elementary school
students (ages 10-13) who want to write IF.

We use only Mac OS X in the elemtary panel. Will txtMap run on OS X?

Brian Slesinsky

Jul 7, 2007, 6:29:32 PM7/7/07
This is a clever and probably very useful idea. I expect that most
people don't know what paws and superglus are. Could you explain that
a little more?

I downloading txtMap and tried running make, but it didn't work:

txtmap.h:19:37: error: ../../MyLib/persistente.h: No such file or
directory
txtmap.cpp:9:35: error: ../../MyLib/stringman.h: No such file or
directory

It would probably be easier for people to get started if everything
needed comes in one zip file, so that you can type "make" and it just
works.

balt...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2007, 4:19:30 PM7/8/07

Hi !

> This is a clever and probably very useful idea.

It is probably in the same path that I7 has open, though I started
this when I7 was not public. It takes, however, a completely different
point of view.

Thank you.

> I expect that most
> people don't know what paws and superglus are. Could you explain that
> a little more?

Well, PAWS is the next adventure creator that appeared after "The
Quill" (created in britain). I supposed that it would be quite famous
around here.

Anyway, in the zip you'll find an "ejemplos" [examples] directory,
containing some input files that I think are worth taking a look.

> I downloading txtMap and tried running make, but it didn't work:
>
> txtmap.h:19:37: error: ../../MyLib/persistente.h: No such file or
> directory
> txtmap.cpp:9:35: error: ../../MyLib/stringman.h: No such file or
> directory
>
> It would probably be easier for people to get started if everything
> needed comes in one zip file, so that you can type "make" and it just
> works.

Yeah, sorry, my fault. I've already solved that issue. Also note that,
in the bin directory, you can find the windows and ubuntu gnu linux
executables.

Thank you for your interest.

Salud !

Baltasar

balt...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2007, 4:26:01 PM7/8/07
Hi !

> Baltasar, sounds like txtMap would help some of our elementary school
> students (ages 10-13) who want to write IF.
>
> We use only Mac OS X in the elemtary panel. Will txtMap run on OS X?

I think it should be a matter of cd'ing into the src directory and
type "make", provided you have the gcc compilers installed. If your c+
+ compiler is another one, then edit the Makefile and change the first
line "cc=g++", replacing "g++" with your compiler of choice.

It would be very interesting to use txtMap in education. An
interesting idea would be to use SciTE, so you can compile your
adventure from withing an editor.

Salud !

Baltasar

Chitterbits

Jul 8, 2007, 8:07:42 PM7/8/07
> > We use only Mac OS X in the elemtary panel. Will txtMap run on OS X?
>
> I think it should be a matter of cd'ing into the src directory and
> type "make", provided you have the gcc compilers installed. If your c+
> + compiler is another one, then edit the Makefile and change the first
> line "cc=g++", replacing "g++" with your compiler of choice.

I have absolutely no idea what you mean.

Do you have an example?

Brian Slesinsky

Jul 9, 2007, 1:46:23 AM7/9/07

I tried downloading txtmap-0.41.zip again and it seems to be a
corrupted archive?

- Brian

balt...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2007, 4:45:40 AM7/9/07

Hi, there !

> I tried downloading txtmap-0.41.zip again and it seems to be a
> corrupted archive?

Oh, my god. Ok, corrected, and verified now. Sorry for the
inconvenience.

Salud !

Baltasar

balt...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2007, 4:53:45 AM7/9/07

Hi !

> > I think it should be a matter of cd'ing into the src directory and
> > type "make", provided you have the gcc compilers installed. If your c+
> > + compiler is another one, then edit the Makefile and change the first
> > line "cc=g++", replacing "g++" with your compiler of choice.
>
> I have absolutely no idea what you mean.
> Do you have an example?

MAC OS X is a kind of BSD Unix. You should open a terminal in the same
directory in which you downloaded txtMap, and then:

$ unzip txtmap-0.41.zip
$ cd src
$ make

Provided you have the compilers installed, this should build a txtMap
for MAC. I've done a little bit of research in the web, and concluded
that you must have a "developer disk" for your MAC, which should
install the gcc compilers collection. I'm sorry, but I don't have a
MAC to test it.

Salud !

Baltasar

Brian Slesinsky

Jul 10, 2007, 4:27:47 AM7/10/07

The only change needed to get it to compile on OS X is to change "-
otxtmap" to "-o txtmap".

However, I think it's too early to use txtmap in schools. Even for
those adventurous enough to use a command line tool, it should have
good help and error messages in the language that the students use, or
they will be too frustrated.

- Brian

Chitterbits

Jul 10, 2007, 11:14:24 AM7/10/07
> However, I think it's too early to use txtmap in schools. Even for
> those adventurous enough to use a command line tool, it should have
> good help and error messages in the language that the students use, or
> they will be too frustrated.
>
> - Brian

Thanks Brian. A tool make writing IF easier should itself be easy to
use.

txtMap is a good idea and I hope it evolves.