The First Annual Post-Comp-Comp!

Sarah

Dec 10, 2009, 9:23:49 PM12/10/09
http://selfasfractal.blogspot.com/2009/12/first-annual-post-comp-comp.html

You've seen the results. You've read the reviews, refreshed them more
times than might be healthy. The thought of a reviewer opening Google
Analytics and discovering 10,000 hits from your city makes you break
out in a cold sweat. And every time, you think to yourself:

"If I just had one more month, this could be perfect."

Well, now you do!

WHAT: The First Annual Post-Comp-Comp!

WHO: Open to any and all entrants of the 2009 Interactive Fiction
Competition, regardless of finish.

WHY: During the judging period, there was some discussion of how
authors often don't have much of an incentive to revise, work on or
even look at their work after all is said and done and the results are
in. As a result, the archives are filled with buggy, flawed pieces
that could have been great with just a bit more work.

This is your chance. The Post-Comp Comp is intended to increase the
number of post-competition releases and, subsequently, their quality.
The entries will be judged on how much and how substantially they've
improved since their initial release. Generally speaking, major
changes will be favored over minor changes, although this is naturally
a highly subjective matter.

RULES:

1. In order to enter, you must have submitted a game to the 2009
Interactive Fiction Competition.
2. All other rules of the IF Comp apply, except for the rule against
unreleased works (for obvious reasons) and the discussion rule.
Authors are free to discuss their game publicly during the judging
period; after all, they've probably been doing so for weeks.

DEADLINE: January 31, 2010, at 11:59 p.m.

PRIZES: One $50 prize for first place.

JUDGES: To be announced; send me an email (sarahcryst at gmail) if
you're interested.

David Fisher

Dec 10, 2009, 11:27:06 PM12/10/09
"Sarah" <sarah...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> http://selfasfractal.blogspot.com/2009/12/first-annual-post-comp-comp.html

> PRIZES: One $50 prize for first place.

Great idea!

A thought: maybe the prize could be for the greatest improvement in a game,
rather than just the best game (so that everyone has a chance)?

David Fisher

Sarah

Dec 10, 2009, 11:41:19 PM12/10/09
On Dec 10, 11:27 pm, "David Fisher"

<davidfis...@australiaonline.net.au> wrote:

> Great idea!
>
> A thought: maybe the prize could be for the greatest improvement in a game,
> rather than just the best game (so that everyone has a chance)?
>
> David Fisher

That's the idea, yes. Apologies if I didn't make it clear enough in my
initial post.

I should also add one thing, which should go without saying, but just
to have it in writing: while I am doing a post-comp release, as the
organizer I'm not entering myself in this competition.

Hannes Schüller

Dec 11, 2009, 3:30:41 AM12/11/09
Sarah <sarah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://selfasfractal.blogspot.com/2009/12/first-annual-post-comp-comp.html

Is there any 'intent to enter' deadline? Or do I just upload a second
release somewhere? If so, anywhere specific or do I just tell you where
to find it?

Hannes

Eric Eve

Dec 11, 2009, 6:33:53 AM12/11/09

"Hannes Sch�ller" <han...@yllr.net> wrote in message

I was about to ask the same thing; is one deemed to have entered if
one has uploaded a post-comp release to the IF-Archive and announced
that one has done so by Jan 31st, or is there some more formal
procedure?

-- Eric

David Fisher

Dec 11, 2009, 7:27:37 AM12/11/09

On Dec 10, 11:27 pm, "David Fisher"
<davidfis...@australiaonline.net.au> wrote:
>> A thought: maybe the prize could be for the greatest improvement in a
>> game,
>> rather than just the best game (so that everyone has a chance)?

> That's the idea, yes. Apologies if I didn't make it clear enough in my
> initial post.

Ah, rereading the initial post, you did make it clear actually ... sorry
about that. Read it too hastily.

David

Sarah

Dec 11, 2009, 8:29:23 AM12/11/09
I knew I forgot to copy something over when I changed some things
around.

Let's say intents to enter should be in by Jan. 2 at 11:59 p.m.

On Dec 11, 6:33 am, "Eric Eve" <eric....@NOSPAMhmc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> "Hannes Schüller" <han...@yllr.net> wrote in message

> > Sarah <sarahcr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>http://selfasfractal.blogspot.com/2009/12/first-annual-post-comp-comp...

Poster

Dec 11, 2009, 5:52:47 PM12/11/09
In article
<9ac302ea-8c23-41f1...@g12g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
Sarah <sarah...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is this something that the mysterious comp owners/judges are planning to
do going forward? If so, it might very well have the opposite effect
that you intend.

--
Poster

www.intaligo.com I6 libraries, doom metal, Building
sturmdrangif.wordpress.com Game development blog / IF commentary
Seasons: fall '09 -- One-man projects are prone to delays.

Sarah

Dec 11, 2009, 9:49:55 PM12/11/09
I don't know; I've never been able to fathom their hidden depths, they
come like thieves in the night, etc.

Conrad

Dec 11, 2009, 11:06:50 PM12/11/09

Very cool. I'll be glad to watch the contest.

Conrad.

Sarah

Dec 29, 2009, 5:32:05 PM12/29/09
Reminder: Intents to enter are due fairly soon! This requires
absolutely no effort beyond an e-mail to me. It isn't binding -- while
naturally I'd prefer that everyone who submits an intent actually
enters, I know things come up. (Coming off a month of intermittent
computer uptime, how could I not?) If meeting this deadline is a
problem, let me know, but in the time it takes to let me know you
might as well just submit an intent.

Games should be e-mailed to me once they're done. It doesn't matter
what else happens to them -- upload to the IF Archive if you want,
host elsewhere, do what you will -- just make sure that the version
you want judged is in my inbox by the deadline.

Thanks, good luck, and happy impending New Year's!