New Game Released -- Spaceship!

Wikicoders

Sep 30, 2009, 6:51:07 AM9/30/09
Hi

A new game called Spaceship! written by the Guardian's Gamesblog
Community has been officially released under the GPL license. This was
an experimental project to try and design a wiki-based text adventure.
The content of the game was written by 40 + contributors (not
including anonymous contributors.) There was also a more buggy version
of this game released last year, but this version is the first proper
edition.

The game's official website is here:

http://barrymars.co.uk/spaceship/index.html

The project was a good learning opportunity for people interested in
making IF games, and it also helped to introduce many newcomers to the
wonderful medium of text adventures (including myself).

Craig A Davies and the rest of the wikicoders

Victor Gijsbers

Sep 30, 2009, 7:35:16 AM9/30/09

Wikicoders

Sep 30, 2009, 8:03:02 AM9/30/09
Hi Victor

The files have been uploaded to the IFarchive, but in doing so I made
a small error, so the game is currently sitting in the unprocessed
category. It will probably be moved to the correct glulx category
soon, though. Many thanks for the extra points :) Due to the open
nature of the project, we all agreed that an open source license would
be best. I'm not sure if mowing the grass away before your feet is an
English proverb, but if not, then it probably should be.

Regards

Craig A Davies

> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

Poster

Sep 30, 2009, 6:47:35 PM9/30/09
In article
<a57de60e-d405-4dc2...@m11g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>,
Wikicoders <wikic...@googlemail.com> wrote:

Very cool. I salute your efforts and hope y'all stick around in the IF
community a while.

--
Poster

www.intaligo.com I6 libraries, doom metal, Building
sturmdrangif.wordpress.com Game development blog / IF commentary
Seasons: fall '09 -- One-man projects are prone to delays.

Wikicoders

Oct 1, 2009, 8:00:23 AM10/1/09
Thanks Poster. I'm certainly going to stick around, and maybe when I
get a bit better with Inform7, I will write a game of my own.

Regards

Craig A Davies

On 30 Sep, 23:47, Poster <pos...@nospam.com> wrote:
> In article
> <a57de60e-d405-4dc2-947d-8c6c5fad1...@m11g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>,

Chuck

Oct 1, 2009, 8:08:54 AM10/1/09

Wow! Thanks for including the source. You did a super job of
organizing and explaining your code. I can keep it handy as I play to
use it as a learning tool. How long did it take to create to reach
this finished form?

Craig A Davies

Oct 1, 2009, 4:48:45 PM10/1/09
Hi Chuck

The bulk of the coding was completed during a 6 month period starting
from around July last year up to Christmas, with some playtesting and
cleaning up taking place over the following 3 months. Then,
unfortunately, the project had to be left to languish for a while, but
we managed to finish the game up during August and September of this
year. Overall it took about 11 months of picking away at the coding to
complete. Considering that all of the coders had to learn Inform7 from
scratch, that's not too bad a timeline. It was quite a fun and
educational process! Thanks for the compliments on the code. I hope it
proves useful to you as a learning resource -- despite being a bit
novicy in parts!

Regards

Craig A Davies

Chuck

Oct 2, 2009, 8:43:47 AM10/2/09
On Oct 1, 3:48 pm, Craig A Davies <pepis...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Chuck
>
> The bulk of the coding was completed during a 6 month period starting
> from around July last year up to Christmas, with some playtesting and
> cleaning up taking place over the following 3 months. Then,
> unfortunately, the project had to be left to languish for a while, but
> we managed to finish the game up during August and September of this
> year. Overall it took about 11 months of picking away at the coding to
> complete. Considering that all of the coders had to learn Inform7 from
> scratch, that's not too bad a timeline. It was quite a fun and
> educational process! Thanks for the compliments on the code. I hope it
> proves useful to you as a learning resource -- despite being a bit
> novicy in parts!
>
> Regards

A bit novicy? Goodness, that makes me like an I7 baby still in
diapers. Is there something more green than a "novice"?

It's fun learning I7 (or at least trying to). I think your entire
effort feels like a class act with all the added stuff you bring to
Spaceship! I had the feeling that you really care about your audience.
Give my congrats to your entire team.

Chuck
Kansas State University

Craig A Davies

Oct 2, 2009, 5:52:10 PM10/2/09
Hi Chuck

Many thanks for the compliments! You are right, Inform7 is a lot of
fun. We did try our best with this game, despite lacking the
experience. Hopefully people will find it as fun to play as it was to
code.

Regards

Craig A Davies

Ryusui

Oct 8, 2009, 2:36:22 AM10/8/09
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

> iEYEARECAAYFAkrDQnQACgkQoiOrMwvIZLyK9ACffsPoMWd5rU7jsJPsyBN5IZux
> /GUAnAnjlbVZOsihRKUW/SnKzkpKiDrj
> =YkYz
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

From the context, I'm pretty sure the English equivalent would be
"step on your toes" or "steal your thunder".