6E72: Games don't launch in the IDE, releases don't show up in the Release folder

Erik Temple

Jul 1, 2010, 3:39:38 PM7/1/10
I just downloaded I7 build 6E72 (OS X 10.5.8 Intel), but the compiler
doesn't seem to be working properly:

1) after hitting the Go button, the game compiles but fails to launch
in the IDE
2) after hitting the Release button, nothing is written to the Release
folder

In both cases, there are no errors (the compiler finishes with code
0), and the IDE continues to run normally.

[Oddly, though the application identifies itself as 6E72, the creation
date and modification date read June 20th.]

Has anyone else run into this? Or is it working for everyone but me?

Thanks,
Erik

Andrew Plotkin

Jul 1, 2010, 5:06:09 PM7/1/10
Here, Erik Temple <ek.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just downloaded I7 build 6E72 (OS X 10.5.8 Intel), but the compiler
> doesn't seem to be working properly:
>
> 1) after hitting the Go button, the game compiles but fails to launch
> in the IDE
> 2) after hitting the Release button, nothing is written to the Release
> folder

It's working for me (10.5.8, Intel).

> [Oddly, though the application identifies itself as 6E72, the creation
> date and modification date read June 20th.]

I think the build went golden-master on the 20th, and it's been
testing since then. (The previous build has a timestamp of May 3rd,
but didn't come out until mid-June.)

--Z

*

vaporware

Jul 1, 2010, 5:10:02 PM7/1/10
On Jul 1, 2:06 pm, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:

> Here, Erik Temple <ek.tem...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I just downloaded I7 build 6E72 (OS X 10.5.8 Intel), but the compiler
> > doesn't seem to be working properly:
>
> > 1) after hitting the Go button, the game compiles but fails to launch
> > in the IDE
> > 2) after hitting the Release button, nothing is written to the Release
> > folder
>
> It's working for me (10.5.8, Intel).

I'm seeing both bugs on 10.4. Try a few more times, or with a new
project instead of an existing one, maybe?

These are now filed in Mantis as #153 and #154.

> > [Oddly, though the application identifies itself as 6E72, the creation
> > date and modification date read June 20th.]
>
> I think the build went golden-master on the 20th, and it's been
> testing since then. (The previous build has a timestamp of May 3rd,
> but didn't come out until mid-June.)

I think the date is just incorrect - Graham has been resolving bugs
this week.

vw

Erik Temple

Jul 1, 2010, 5:13:11 PM7/1/10
On Jul 1, 4:06 pm, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:

> Here, Erik Temple <ek.tem...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I just downloaded I7 build 6E72 (OS X 10.5.8 Intel), but the compiler
> > doesn't seem to be working properly:
>
> > 1) after hitting the Go button, the game compiles but fails to launch
> > in the IDE
> > 2) after hitting the Release button, nothing is written to the Release
> > folder
>
> It's working for me (10.5.8, Intel).

Good to hear--it must be specific to this machine (which, since it's
not my home machine, doesn't bother me too much).

> > [Oddly, though the application identifies itself as 6E72, the creation
> > date and modification date read June 20th.]
>
> I think the build went golden-master on the 20th, and it's been
> testing since then. (The previous build has a timestamp of May 3rd,
> but didn't come out until mid-June.)

Ah, thanks, and I see what confused me--I knew that bug 0000074 was
fixed in this release and did a quick check on Mantis, where I saw a
date of 6/30 for the resolution of the bug. But going back and
drilling into the change history for that report, I see that it was
actually fixed on the 19th; on the 30th, the record was merely updated
to reflect that the issue was fixed in the new build.

Thanks!
Erik

Andrew Plotkin

Jul 1, 2010, 5:22:34 PM7/1/10
Here, vaporware <jmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 1, 2:06 pm, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:
> > Here, Erik Temple <ek.tem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I just downloaded I7 build 6E72 (OS X 10.5.8 Intel), but the compiler
> > > doesn't seem to be working properly:
> >
> > > 1) after hitting the Go button, the game compiles but fails to launch
> > > in the IDE
> > > 2) after hitting the Release button, nothing is written to the Release
> > > folder
> >
> > It's working for me (10.5.8, Intel).
>
> I'm seeing both bugs on 10.4. Try a few more times, or with a new
> project instead of an existing one, maybe?

Yes, hm. When I created a new project, it failed to run. When I quit
Inform and started it again, and then chose the "Reopen last project"
option, it worked normally.

> These are now filed in Mantis as #153 and #154.

Thanks.

Erik Temple

Jul 1, 2010, 5:35:57 PM7/1/10
On Jul 1, 4:10 pm, vaporware <jmcg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 1, 2:06 pm, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:
> > Here, Erik Temple <ek.tem...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > 1) after hitting the Go button, the game compiles but fails to launch
> > > in the IDE
> > > 2) after hitting the Release button, nothing is written to the Release
> > > folder
>
> > It's working for me (10.5.8, Intel).
>
> I'm seeing both bugs on 10.4.

> Try a few more times, or with a new
> project instead of an existing one, maybe?

I've done that, restarted the machine, trashed the preferences etc.
The issue seems to be persistent with this machine (unlike the
intermittence that Zarf reports).

> These are now filed in Mantis as #153 and #154.

Great, thanks.

> > > [Oddly, though the application identifies itself as 6E72, the creation
> > > date and modification date read June 20th.]
>

> I think the date is just incorrect - Graham has been resolving bugs
> this week.

Hm, OK, thanks.

--Erik

Ron Newcomb

Jul 1, 2010, 10:48:37 PM7/1/10

I get this behavior on my main home machine, a PPC 10.4. Release,
Release Debug Build, Test Me, double-clicking a Skein node, Replay
Last Commands, Replay Blessed Transcript, Rebuild Index... nothing
works. It compiles successfully upon selecting any of those, but
nothing happens afterward. I'm left staring at the graphic with
Translation Successful. It does this on new projects, old projects,
from the splash screen buttons or from the File menu, always and
everywhere. I cannot use this build.

I just downloaded it a few minutes ago, FWIW.
-R

Ron Newcomb

Jul 1, 2010, 10:55:58 PM7/1/10

I even tried switching VMs between Git and Glulxe, to no effect.

I should add that I can't test the case of double-clicking a project
file to open Inform, because doing this opens 6E59 instead.

Tom Armitage

Jul 7, 2010, 4:58:06 AM7/7/10
I've got the same issue - although curiously, it's working for one
source text, but not another. I tried running Inform from the shell
(rather than the Finder), and the Terminal logged this error upon a
compile:

2010-07-07 09:51:33.500 Inform[52504:10b] Exception raised during
posting of notification. Ignored. exception: '-[NSFileWrapper
addFileWrapper:] *** a document must have a preferredFilename before
it can be added as the subdocument of another document.' invoked
observer method: '*** -[IFProjectController compilerFinished:]'
observer: 0x10ddf2c0 notification name:
'IFCompilerFinishedNotification'

I've added this to Mantis, but thought I'd raise it here as well.