Testament to Inform 7

SimonW

Apr 23, 2007, 2:21:18 PM4/23/07
I remember when Inform 7 came out, and I thought I am not going to like
this being a software developer.

The more I thought about it, I realised writers are not programmers, so
I understood why natural language was the way to go.

Anyway my kids, are into these interactive books: turn two page 2 to do
this, or go to page 54 to do something else etc.

So I show them Inform 7, with a couple rooms and a door with a few
objects, and they are off!

They are creating their own rooms, objects and new things, ok
occasionally I have to help them, but my point is they are interested,
and they can see their game run straight away by pressing go.

I am sure they would not be able to do all that under Inform 6.

The documentation is excellent and they find loads of examples to help
them, or me when they are stuck.

May I publicly thank everyone that has been involved in Inform 7 for
making a product that is literally "so easy a child can do it".

Kristopher Neidecker

Apr 23, 2007, 3:49:35 PM4/23/07

"SimonW" <boz...@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message

I second that! I am a long time programmer, as a matter of fact I started
programming when they CALLED it programming (not 'software engeneering' or
any other corporate title). I have done things in Java, C++, Basic, you
name it.

I will say that in general Inform 7 is more intuitive and understandable
than any other language I've used, and tends to align more with the thoughts
a writer or designer will have in their head with minimal translation to
computer gibberish.

My thanks to all those involved with Inform 7 and the Docs, IDE, etc. as
well!

And to SimonW it is very cool to get your kinds into something as creative
as IF games and reading in general. I applaud you for that, as I know from
personal experience children who read and enjoy stories have an advantage
over their peers when it comes to life in general.

Blank

Apr 24, 2007, 6:35:47 AM4/24/07
When I visited my sister recently I showed I7 to the kids, who were
instantly hooked. My spies report that already their spelling is showing
improvement (because of course you have to spell the code right!),
though there has also been some worry in the neighbourhood because their
kids have also gone suspiciously quiet! :o)

Fabio Bittar

Apr 25, 2007, 8:29:52 AM4/25/07
On Apr 24, 7:35 am, Blank <b...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> Kristopher Neidecker wrote:
> > "SimonW" <bozz...@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message

I7 has accomplished something I am particularly satisfied about:
programming has been made easier on us not-vulcans and 21st century
children may be drawn to it now that it features a fancy IDE and an
approach to story-telling these kids have never been introduced to.
Gamebooks haven't changed at all, children are still fighting the
sorcerer of Firetop Mountain and the genre remains popular. There is
very little room for improvement and writing something innovative is
practically impossible. IF suffers from certain limitations which can
(and will) be resolved as vulcan-speaking programmers bring us new
tools to build our stories. Modern tools that are both attractive and
user-friendly.

This is not to say TADS3 or HUGO fail to deliver an improvement, but
I7 does it in a way writers of all ages won't be frightened by an
infinite number of variations and codes and functions.

It may become the front door (and possibly the definite tool) to many
young IF writers.