[TADS] Organization of .T files

Message has been deleted

Matthew F Funke

May 31, 2002, 1:59:10 PM5/31/02
jhomp ssens <phoen...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I'm wondering if it would make sense to make separate .T files for
>different objects? For example, have all of my custom verbs in a
>VERBS.T, all of my rooms in a ROOMS.T, etc. It might make them easier
>to manage, I was thinking. Would there be any drawback to doing it
>this way? I assume I could just use the #INCLUDE command as is used
>with the STD.T and ADV.T?

You sure could. And what you describe makes good organizational
sense. It's exactly why inclusion of multiple .t files is permitted in
TADS (organization is made much simpler). I, personally, have found it
convenient to split the .t files even further into various "plot clumps"
for my WIP, but you certainly don't have to.
--
-- With Best Regards,
Matthew Funke (m...@hopper.unh.edu)

Stephen Granade

Jun 2, 2002, 4:41:32 PM6/2/02
phoen...@hotmail.com (jhomp ssens) writes:

> I'm wondering if it would make sense to make separate .T files for
> different objects? For example, have all of my custom verbs in a
> VERBS.T, all of my rooms in a ROOMS.T, etc. It might make them easier
> to manage, I was thinking. Would there be any drawback to doing it
> this way? I assume I could just use the #INCLUDE command as is used
> with the STD.T and ADV.T?

There are plenty of ways of organizing your files. I tend to have a
different .t file for each section of my game, with those .t files
holding all of the rooms, objects, and NPCs that are found in that
section. Anything of more general interest gets lumped into a separate
*h.t file (like griph.t and arrh.t).

Stephen

--
Stephen Granade
sgra...@phy.duke.edu

Guy Barrier

Jun 3, 2002, 10:21:26 AM6/3/02
In my experience, Stephen's is the best way to do it. I've written
games both ways--my first ones having separate files for each type of
object, room, decoration, NPC, whatever.

I decided to start organizing by section, which will keep things much
easier for you. In fact, when TADS 3 is official, this will probably
be the preferred way anyway because object location can be based on
it's relation to the object/container/room listed before it in the T
file.

So you would organize it where you could have MANSION.T for the first
area, HIGHWAY.T for the second, LAUNCHPAD.T for the third, and MOON.T
for the fourth, or whatever.