Inform API?

Jeremy Crockett

Aug 1, 2011, 9:13:57 AM8/1/11
I'd love to use Inform 7 in combination with some other programming
languages, to collect user data, have some sort of multiplayer, etc.

A Google search for "inform 7 api" shows I'm not the only one
interested in this, as that's one of the suggested search options.

Does an API exist in any capacity right now? Are there any plans in
the future to make one?

Jim Aikin

Aug 2, 2011, 11:18:59 AM8/2/11

I've never taken a computer science course, so quite possibly I'm
misunderstanding the question. But since nobody else has yet answered
your question....

Inform is a compiler. It hardly seems likely an API for a compiler would
be useful. What I think you're envisioning is a way for another app to
communicate with a compiled Inform game.

The way to do that is via the Glulx specification. This is public. It's
what every author of an interpreter uses to enable the interpreter to
talk to the compiled game software. In effect, the Glulx spec is the API
of every compiled Inform game. In order to have your own app interact
with a game, what you need to do is write your own custom interpreter.

As to whether any of the existing interpreters has a published API ... I
don't know. Some of them may be open-source, though. Maybe that would be
a good starting point.

Hope this helps.

--JA

Aaron A. Reed

Aug 7, 2011, 9:12:30 PM8/7/11

Have you checked the official site at inform7.com? Most of I7's code
has been publicly released. Here might be a good place to start:
http://inform7.com/sources/

Note that Inform 7 is a programming language with an IDE, not a web
service, so it may not have the kind of API you're thinking of.

koo5

Aug 9, 2011, 5:47:31 PM8/9/11

Thanks to the file i/o, you can communicate with another language. My
first try was a pygtk helloworld. Check out lemon 5 (real time), melon
(a guestbook) and sitegen on my github page (koo5). Its a mess, just
experiments. Speed became the biggest issue now. Im slowly exploring
the i6 compiler and hoping to allow it to compile to C. Maybe this
would solve the libraries problem too. I could use any help with it.

Yet another option is to link the interpreter to stuff.

koo5

Aug 10, 2011, 12:48:09 PM8/10/11
mah cheapglk fork shows how to start with that....