Other people that talk about games, stories, etc.

George Oliver

Jan 11, 2008, 1:22:16 AM1/11/08
Recently I happened upon some cool game sites, game forums, and so on.
Here are a few of them -- if you have some to share I'd be into seeing
them.

1. The TIGSource forums -- some nice and fun people talking about
indie games, mainly casual, platformer, and shoot-em-up games but some
adventure and IF as well. There's also a tigsource main page.

http://forums.tigsource.com/

2. PlayThisThing - profile around 5 games a week. Wide range of games
including IF -- a sort of offshoot of Greg Costikyan's Manifesto Games
site. This is just a really nice site

http://playthisthing.com/

3. AdventureDevelopers - mostly graphical adventure games but still
many good articles and discussions.

http://www.adventuredevelopers.com/index.php

4. Great Games Experiment - wide variety and huge number of games;
you'll even find some IF here (like needles in a haystack), but a cool
community site regardless.

http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/

5. Planet Ogre Cave - a feed aggregator of many design journals and
blogs, mostly related to RPGs, but a really good source of design and
content ideas.

http://planet-sg.ogrecave.com/

There are other electronic literature sites I've been reading for a
while including:

6. Writer Response Theory - text arts, digital literature.

http://writerresponsetheory.org/wordpress

7. if:book - electronic books and publishing.

http://www.futureofthebook.org/blog/

8. TeleRead - ebooks and ebook devices.

http://www.teleread.org/blog

I'd love to see some good fiction sites -- mostly I stck to small
genre and zine sites. Anyone know of some good fiction and prose sites
and/or forums?

Dutchy (Rhian)

Jan 11, 2008, 3:10:00 AM1/11/08

It's a nice list to start with.

> I'd love to see some good fiction sites -- mostly I stck to small
> genre and zine sites. Anyone know of some good fiction and prose sites
> and/or forums?

Maybe you could visit (and perhaps others too):
http://eastoftheweb.com/
The have 2 sections at the moment: Short stories (some aren't that
short actually) and games (no IF yet).
There is a link on the first page called 'interactive' and when
checked you'll see they call for some form of IF (in the broadest
sense of the meaning). I know that particular page has been there for
quite a while, perhaps 6 moths or more, so I don't know what they
intend to do.

Rhian

George Oliver

Jan 11, 2008, 10:20:40 AM1/11/08
On Jan 11, 12:10 am, "Dutchy (Rhian)" <dutchy.rh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe you could visit (and perhaps others too):http://eastoftheweb.com/
>
> Rhian

hey Rhian, that's a pretty cool site!

It also brings home the idea that it would be great to have a fast
Flash player for IF, or even some way to include a Flash player with
the game source -- I don't mean bundle, but more like compile it with
the player included. That would make it easy for people to submit
games to sites like this.

I've seen Flash-based IF where the game and the player were written in
the same source, but never a separate IF source merged with a Flash
front-end -- anyone have ideas on this?

lilb...@yahoo.com

Jan 25, 2008, 2:30:34 PM1/25/08
On Jan 10, 10:22 pm, George Oliver <georgeolive...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recently I happened upon some cool game sites, gameforums, and so on.

> Here are a few of them -- if you have some to share I'd be into seeing
> them.
>
> 1. The TIGSourceforums-- some nice and fun people talking about

> indie games, mainly casual, platformer, and shoot-em-up games but some
> adventure and IF as well. There's also a tigsource main page.
>
> http://forums.tigsource.com/
>
> 2. PlayThisThing - profile around 5 games a week. Wide range of games
> including IF -- a sort of offshoot of Greg Costikyan's Manifesto Games
> site. This is just a really nice site
>
> http://playthisthing.com/
>
> 3. AdventureDevelopers - mostly graphical adventure games but still
> many good articles and discussions.
>
> http://www.adventuredevelopers.com/index.php
>
> 4. Great Games Experiment - wide variety and huge number of games;
> you'll even find some IF here (like needles in a haystack), but a cool
> community site regardless.
>
> http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/
>
> 5. Planet Ogre Cave - a feed aggregator of many design journals and
> blogs, mostly related to RPGs, but a really good source of design and
> content ideas.
>
> http://planet-sg.ogrecave.com/
>
> There are other electronic literature sites I've been reading for a
> while including:
>
> 6. Writer Response Theory - text arts, digital literature.
>
> http://writerresponsetheory.org/wordpress
>
> 7. if:book  - electronic books and publishing.
>
> http://www.futureofthebook.org/blog/
>
> 8. TeleRead  -ebooksand ebook devices.

> http://www.teleread.org/blog
>
> I'd love to see some good fiction sites -- mostly I stck to small
> genre and zine sites. Anyone know of some good fiction and prose sites
> and/orforums?

Earn big money by selling ebooks/software with your own website. Keep
all profits for yourself. http://www.fastdatacash.com/in.php?ix=2174