Interactive non-fiction

1 view

chads...@my-deja.com

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
There was a thread a little while ago asking whether interactive non-
fiction was possible, say historical interactive fiction.

I believe this is possible. I think that the "interactive" of IF means
that the _world_ is creates is interactive. You can examine a rock,
pick it up, throw it and feel it. Granted, many actions will results in
a default response, but the concept is still there. The "fiction",
however, that is, the plot, is not always interactive.

If historical non-fiction is possible, why not historical IF? After
all, the player does not need to actually change history, just watch.

Chad Schultz (chads...@hotmail.com)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Jesse Burneko

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Steven Jones wrote:

> Another deviance from history is that in the game, the ship is seen
> sinking in one piece. As depicted in Cameron's film, the real ship
> broke apart.

Actually, I have to step in here and make one correction. When I first
saw the end sequence of Titanic - Adventure Out Of Time I thought too that
the ship was going down in one piece which I knew to be historically
incorrect. However, on subsequent replays I noticed that it does indeed
go down in two. It's difficult to tell because of the way the visuals go
by so fast but yes, the ship breaks apart even in the game.

Jesse Burneko

Michael Gentry

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Not to be niggly or anything, but "Historical fiction" is not non-fiction.
It's fiction.

"Historical non-fiction" is called history.

Okay, nevermind, that was niggly.

-M.

<chads...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Quentin.D.Thompson

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
In article <82j8h4$c9a$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

chads...@my-deja.com wrote:
> There was a thread a little while ago asking whether interactive non-
> fiction was possible, say historical interactive fiction.
>
> I believe this is possible. I think that the "interactive" of IF means
> that the _world_ is creates is interactive. You can examine a rock,
> pick it up, throw it and feel it. Granted, many actions will results in
> a default response, but the concept is still there. The "fiction",
> however, that is, the plot, is not always interactive.
>
> If historical non-fiction is possible, why not historical IF? After
> all, the player does not need to actually change history, just watch.

I agree on this one. (In fact, I was working on a historical I-F game, but
changed horses in midstream when I came up with the "Halothane" idea.) I
think it's a little puzzling that historical and romance I-F (which, I'm
guessing, would be rather appreciated) are still rather untried genres?
Anyone want to take a bash at it? (Also, there's quite a nice article on
interactive non-IF at Mark Silcox's page: www.suite101.com.)

--
Quentin.D.Thompson. [The 'D' is a variable.]
Lord High Executioner Of Bleagh

Steven Jones

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
I was referring to interactive 'fiction' inspired by actual events, i.e.
'Titanic, Adventure Out of Time'. During the game the player can change
the course of history. In T-AOT, the player must retrieve certain
objects and get them off the ship before it goes down. Complete success
results in the prevention of both world wars and the Russian
revolution. Failure to obtain the necklace or the Rubaiyat results in
WW1 happening, failure to obtain the painting results in WW2 happening
and failure to get the notebook results in the revolution. While many
events in the game are based on real life, e.g. A man posing as a woman
to get on a lifeboat, the characters and other events are fictional.

Bert Byfield -- no mail

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
>Not to be niggly or anything, but "Historical fiction" is not non-fiction.
>It's fiction.

>"Historical non-fiction" is called history.

"Historical fiction" tells the truth; "History" is all lies.

Bert Byfield
http://www.caravelabooks.com (or amazon.com)
Now in print: Rage of the Bear and Scream of the Eagle
In Preparation: Last Stand at Perekop