Real-time IF list

jdouglass

Oct 29, 2007, 3:24:59 AM10/29/07
I'm looking for examples of 'real-time' IF, in which turns advance
while the interactor sits and does nothing. Any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

Also, confirmations or denials of anything on the list so far would
help a lot. What I have so far:

- "And the Waves Choke the Wind" (Gunther Schmidl. 2000)
- "Border Zone" (Marc Blank. Infocom, 1987)
- "Brainscape" (Ostergren and Wilson. 1985) http://www.wurb.com/if/game/33
- "Breakers" (Rod Smith. Synapse, 1986)
- "Brimstone: The Dream of Gawain" (James Paul. Synapse, 1985)
- "Demoniak" (Palace Software, 1990)
- "Drool" (Jeff Breidenbach. 1994) http://www.wurb.com/if/game/2884
- "Dungeons of Daggorath" (Douglas Morgan, 1982) http://www.wurb.com/if/game/2871
- "Essex" (Bill Darrah. Synapse, 1985)
- "Eureka!" (Ian Livingstone. Domark, 1984) ("a few real-time elements
in some locations")
- "Getting Back to Sleep" (Patrick Evans. 2004) http://www.wurb.com/if/game/2376
- "Hex" (Geoff Larsen. Larsoft, ?) http://adventure.if-legends.org/Larsoft.html
- "Hobbit, The" (Megler and Mitchell. Melbourne House, 1983)
- "Lord of the Rings 3: Crack of Doom" (Melbourne House. 1989)
- "Madness and the Minotaur" (Spectral Associates, 1981)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madness_and_the_Minotaur
- "Mindwheel" (Robert Pinsky. Synapse, 1984)
- "Mr. Remote Mom" (Lenny Pitts. 2000) http://www.wurb.com/if/game/1232
- "Rat in Control" (Michael J. Roberts. TADS 3, 2003)
http://www.wurb.com/if/game/2126.html
- "Sadim Castle" (MP Software for the Acorn Electron, 1984)
http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/eu/revs/mp/r-sadi.html
- "Seastalker" (Galley and Lawrence. Infocom, 1984) http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Seastalker
- "Shadows of Mordor" (Philip Mitchell. Melbourne House, 1987)
- "Sherlock" (Philip Mitchell. Melbourne House, 1985)
- "Sylenius Mysterium" (C.E. Forman. 1997) http://www.wurb.com/if/game/325
- "Time and Dwarves" (Graham Nelson. Inform demo, 1997)
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.int-fiction/msg/b05db6f6308ee84f

Many of these entries are heresay - they were so marked in Baf's
Guide, r*if, or ifwiki, but for many I haven't been able to confirm if
(or how) they are real-time. Any reactions, descriptions, or
anecdotes would be most welcome.

jdouglass

Oct 29, 2007, 3:27:13 AM10/29/07
To clarify, most abuses (like IF Tetris or Snakes) technically count
as real-time, but I'm focusing on non-abuse real-time IF.

For the curious, the major past r*if threads I drew on were :

"IF in real-time" (2003)
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.int-fiction/browse_thread/thread/e8096be05432ae8b/
"Real time" games (1997)
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.int-fiction/browse_thread/thread/bda0742dc97ea18d/

Emily Boegheim

Oct 29, 2007, 3:37:07 AM10/29/07
jdouglass <jeremyd...@gmail.com> wrote in

> I'm looking for examples of 'real-time' IF, in which turns advance
> while the interactor sits and does nothing. Any suggestions would be
> greatly appreciated.

Battle of Walcot Keep http://wurb.com/if/game/2688 has a real-time mode. It
is not on by default, however. (To check it out, TOGGLE REALTIME. DOWN.)

Emily

Fredrik Ramsberg

Oct 29, 2007, 5:33:03 AM10/29/07
On 29 Okt, 08:24, jdouglass <jeremydougl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for examples of 'real-time' IF, in which turns advance
> while the interactor sits and does nothing. Any suggestions would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Also, confirmations or denials of anything on the list so far would
> help a lot. What I have so far:
>
> - "And the Waves Choke the Wind" (Gunther Schmidl. 2000)
> - "Border Zone" (Marc Blank. Infocom, 1987)
> - "Brainscape" (Ostergren and Wilson. 1985) http://www.wurb.com/if/game/33
> - "Breakers" (Rod Smith. Synapse, 1986)
> - "Brimstone: The Dream of Gawain" (James Paul. Synapse, 1985)
> - "Demoniak" (Palace Software, 1990)
> - "Drool" (Jeff Breidenbach. 1994)http://www.wurb.com/if/game/2884
> - "Dungeons of Daggorath" (Douglas Morgan, 1982)http://www.wurb.com/if/game/2871

> - "Essex" (Bill Darrah. Synapse, 1985)
> - "Eureka!" (Ian Livingstone. Domark, 1984) ("a few real-time elements
> in some locations")
> - "Getting Back to Sleep" (Patrick Evans. 2004)http://www.wurb.com/if/game/2376
> - "Hex" (Geoff Larsen. Larsoft, ?)http://adventure.if-legends.org/Larsoft.html

> - "Hobbit, The" (Megler and Mitchell. Melbourne House, 1983)
> - "Lord of the Rings 3: Crack of Doom" (Melbourne House. 1989)
> - "Madness and the Minotaur" (Spectral Associates, 1981)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madness_and_the_Minotaur

> - "Mindwheel" (Robert Pinsky. Synapse, 1984)
> - "Mr. Remote Mom" (Lenny Pitts. 2000)http://www.wurb.com/if/game/1232
> - "Rat in Control" (Michael J. Roberts. TADS 3, 2003)http://www.wurb.com/if/game/2126.html
> - "Sadim Castle" (MP Software for the Acorn Electron, 1984)http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/eu/revs/mp/r-sadi.html
> - "Seastalker" (Galley and Lawrence. Infocom, 1984)http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Seastalker

> - "Shadows of Mordor" (Philip Mitchell. Melbourne House, 1987)
> - "Sherlock" (Philip Mitchell. Melbourne House, 1985)
> - "Sylenius Mysterium" (C.E. Forman. 1997)http://www.wurb.com/if/game/325
> - "Time and Dwarves" (Graham Nelson. Inform demo, 1997)http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.int-fiction/msg/b05db6f6308ee84f

> Many of these entries are heresay - they were so marked in Baf's
> Guide, r*if, or ifwiki, but for many I haven't been able to confirm if
> (or how) they are real-time. Any reactions, descriptions, or
> anecdotes would be most welcome.

Add:

Valhalla ((Richard Edwards, Graham Asher, Charles Goodwin, Andrew
Owen), Legend, 1984):

A detailed review:

<http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemon64.com/reviews/
view.php%3Fid%3D118>

/Fredrik

rgrassi

Oct 29, 2007, 5:51:59 AM10/29/07
In"Little Falls" by Mondi Confinanti there's one turn in which the
real time is ON during the flashback at the beginning of the game.
My two cents,
Rob

David Goldfarb

Oct 29, 2007, 6:24:31 AM10/29/07
In article <1193642699....@v29g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,

jdouglass <jeremyd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>- "Mindwheel" (Robert Pinsky. Synapse, 1984)
>- "Seastalker" (Galley and Lawrence. Infocom, 1984) http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Seastalker

It's been many years since I played either of these, but I don't
recollect a real-time component to either of them -- if memory
serves me right they both had the standard "time passes only when
you enter a command" interface of most IF.

--
David Goldfarb |"To summarize the summary of the summary:
gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu | People are a problem."

Greg Boettcher

Oct 29, 2007, 3:10:44 PM10/29/07
On Oct 29, 2:24 am, jdouglass <jeremydougl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for examples of 'real-time' IF, in which turns advance
> while the interactor sits and does nothing. Any suggestions would be
> greatly appreciated.

I suppose you could include many of the Sierra games, like King's
Quest 1-4, if those fit your definition of IF.

Greg

Josh Lawrence

Oct 29, 2007, 4:40:40 PM10/29/07
On Oct 29, 3:24 am, goldf...@OCF.Berkeley.EDU (David Goldfarb) wrote:
> In article <1193642699.357928.75...@v29g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,

> jdouglass <jeremydougl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >- "Mindwheel" (Robert Pinsky. Synapse, 1984)
> >- "Seastalker" (Galley and Lawrence. Infocom, 1984)http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Seastalker

> It's been many years since I played either of these, but I don't
> recollect a real-time component to either of them -- if memory
> serves me right they both had the standard "time passes only when
> you enter a command" interface of most IF.
>
> --
> David Goldfarb |"To summarize the summary of the summary:
> goldf...@ocf.berkeley.edu | People are a problem."
> goldf...@csua.berkeley.edu | -- Douglas Adams

Mindwheel has things that continue to happen even when the user does
not type a command (lines of descriptive text continue to pop up and
scroll by), but I believe all such things are just flavor text
fleshing out the current environment (various reactions of the crowd
in the singer segment for example, and I remember at a later point
various actions of waiting demons, one picking radiator grill parts
from its teeth). I don't think any of these real-time 'events'
actually effect gameplay/puzzles, but I didn't finish the game so I
don't know for sure.

Josh

Jeremy Douglass

Oct 30, 2007, 2:32:28 PM10/30/07
I've created a "Real-Time" page on ifWiki that anyone is welcome to
edit:

http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Real-Time

Dan The Man

Oct 30, 2007, 2:58:07 PM10/30/07
Does anyone know how to get information from the host regarding time
and date in Inform? I was wanting to experiment with something like
this for a while now.

Jeremy Douglass

Oct 30, 2007, 3:08:10 PM10/30/07

Much of Mindwheel doesn't crucially advance until you interact, but it
isn't quite true that the real-time aspect is only ambience. For
example, the thug and bodyguard wander the stage in the first scene,
moving every 25-30 seconds or so. Trying to examine or attack the
thug won't work unless you are both in the same part of the stage -
you can't ignore the real-time output as mere flavor text.

Andrew Plotkin

Oct 30, 2007, 3:56:55 PM10/30/07

Can't be done, currently. You can only measure how long the player
spends at the input prompt.

It's been on the suggestion list for a possible Glk/Glulx extension
for years.

--Z

*
Bush's biggest lie is his claim that it's okay to disagree with him. As soon as
you *actually* disagree with him, he sadly explains that you're undermining
America, that you're giving comfort to the enemy. That you need to be silent.

Josh Lawrence

Oct 30, 2007, 4:08:15 PM10/30/07

Ah, I didn't realize/remember that the NPCs moved independently of
user action - very interesting.

Josh

Emily Short

Oct 30, 2007, 5:48:28 PM10/30/07
On Oct 30, 3:56 pm, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:

> In rec.arts.int-fiction, Dan The Man <danher...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how to get information from the host regarding time
> > and date in Inform? I was wanting to experiment with something like
> > this for a while now.
>
> Can't be done, currently. You can only measure how long the player
> spends at the input prompt.

Well, it almost can't be done. In theory, you could have a perl script
running in the same directory, writing the current time to a file,
which Glulx then read in; this would work the same way as the quirky
RSS-reading device shown in the manual. But of course this requires
either a) user cooperation to start the subsidiary script or b) that
you run the game off a server, so if you're aiming to surprise the
player by (as a novelty) referring to the actual time in his time
zone, that's not much good.

But it's not *completely* impossible.

David Goldfarb

Oct 31, 2007, 1:16:55 AM10/31/07
In article <1193774895.3...@e34g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,

I didn't remember that either. As I said, it's been a very long time.

--
David Goldfarb |"Why are you persecuting me? What have I ever done
gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu | to you?"
| entire planet."
|"Apart from that!" -- Doctor Who, "Boom Town"

Poster

Nov 5, 2007, 3:01:56 PM11/5/07

I think a caveat or two should apply here, just because that particular
wiki is very policed. Not everyone's edits are allowed to remain and
often highly-biased opinions rule in place of the complete truth.

In short, you may want to keep a close eye on that page.

-- Poster

www.intaligo.com Building, INFORM, Seasons (upcoming!)

Adam Thornton

Nov 5, 2007, 3:19:32 PM11/5/07
In article <8cednUEwOJgl67La...@giganews.com>,

Poster <poster@!nospam!.aurora.cotse.net> wrote:
>> http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Real-Time
>I think a caveat or two should apply here, just because that particular
>wiki is very policed. Not everyone's edits are allowed to remain and
>often highly-biased opinions rule in place of the complete truth.

Ooh ooh! A juicy story full of scandal and intrigue! Tell all!

Adam

jdouglass

Nov 8, 2007, 1:08:31 AM11/8/07
On Nov 5, 12:19 pm, a...@fsf.net (Adam Thornton) wrote:
> In article <8cednUEwOJgl67LanZ2dnUVZ_sOrn...@giganews.com>,

Don't know enough about ifwiki to say - I only have about 10 edits.

If anyone wants to have an ifwiki revert war over the entry "real-
time", of course, I'm game. But I suspect that people are saving
their fire for other categories. Honestly, though, I don't know which
ones. Still, if someone wants to point out edits they disagree with,
the nice thing about wikis is that the histories stay there forever -
just link to them. If that doesn't work, there are always other wikis
- I've heard of one called wikipedia that has a few IF-related entries
on it.

Benjamin Caplan

Nov 8, 2007, 5:51:40 PM11/8/07
> I suppose you could include many of the Sierra games, like King's
> Quest 1-4, if those fit your definition of IF.

Likewise, most MUDs and their kin (MUSH, MOO, MUCK, etc.) are
certainly realtime and arguably IF.