Possible bug in 6E59

Al

Jun 15, 2010, 1:31:06 PM6/15/10
This appears to be a bug in 6E59.
When I examine the platform I get an extra output.
Same with the guard rail.

Will someone please do a compile and let me know?
I'll report it to Graham if it is such.

Thanks.

<BEGIN OUTPUT/
Platform Test
An Interactive Fiction
Release 1 / Serial number 100615 / Inform 7 build 6E59 (I6/v6.31 lib
6/12N) SD

Above The "Board" (on the Platform)
You find yourself on a Platform hovering several hundred feet above a
gigantic "chessboard",
which itself is hovering in the darkness of space. There is no
apparent way down. A 4-foot high
Guard Rail runs around the perimeter of the Platform, placed there to
keep you from falling off of it.
From up here you can make out 8 huge shapes on the squares of the
"board" below you.
To the "north" and "south" you can discern 8 huge letters in a
horizontal format and to the "east"
and "west" 8 huge numbers in a vertical format. You also see,
floating in space to the "south"
of the board, some distance away, a Flight Pad.

>x platform
The Platform measures 100 feet square, is constructed of the very
finest metal and has rivets the size of
16 inch softballs interspersed thruout its length and breadth. A Guard
Rail surrounds the entire Platform.

On the Platform . <------THIS SHOULD NOT SHOW UP

> stand on rail
(getting off the Platform)
You get onto the Guard Rail.

>x rail
This Guard Rail runs around the perimeter of the platform, stands
about 4 feet high
and is there to keep you from falling off.

On the Guard Rail . <------THIS SHOULD NOT SHOW UP

<END OUTPUT>

<code>

"Platform Test"

AboveBoard is a room.
the printed name is "Above The 'Board' ".
the description is
"You find yourself on a Platform hovering several hundred feet above a
gigantic
'chessboard', which itself is hovering in the darkness of space. There
is no apparent
way down. A 4-foot high Guard Rail runs around the perimeter of the
Platform,
placed there to keep you from falling off of it. From up here you can
make out
8 huge shapes on the squares of the 'board' below you.
To the 'north' and 'south' you can discern 8 huge letters
in a horizontal format and to the 'east' and 'west' 8 huge numbers in
a vertical
format. You also see, floating in space to the 'south' of the board,
some distance away,
a Flight Pad.".

a chessboard is scenery in AboveBoard.
understand "board" as the chessboard.
some shapes are scenery in AboveBoard.
some squares are scenery in AboveBoard.
some letters are scenery in AboveBoard.
some nums are scenery in AboveBoard.
the Flight Pad is scenery in AboveBoard.
understand "numbers" as the nums.

the Platform is an enterable scenery supporter in AboveBoard.
the platform is scenery.
the Platform is either searched or unsearched.
understand "metal" or "rivets" as platform.
the description is
"The Platform measures 100 feet square, is constructed of the
very finest metal and has rivets the size of 16 inch softballs
interspersed thruout its length and breadth. A Guard Rail surrounds
the entire Platform."

the player is on the platform.

a GuardRail is an enterable scenery supporter in AboveBoard.
the GuardRail is scenery.
the printed name is "Guard Rail".
understand "rail" or "guard" or "railing" or "guard rail" as
GuardRail.
the description is
"This Guard Rail runs around the perimeter of the platform,
stands about 4 feet high and is there to keep you from falling off."

instead of exiting when the player is on the GuardRail:
say "You get off the rail back onto the platform.";
now the player is on the platform.

<end code>

Jim Aikin

Jun 15, 2010, 1:47:06 PM6/15/10
Oh, yeah. This is a good one, Al. I stripped down your code to make it
easier to test. I get the same bug with the following complete game:

AboveBoard is a room. "You're on a board."

The Platform is an enterable scenery supporter in AboveBoard. The
description is "The Platform is flat."

The player is on the platform.

I'd suggest that you report it using this simple version, as it will be
easier for them to detect what's going on.

--JA

cunningjames

Jun 15, 2010, 1:53:59 PM6/15/10

This is due to the new "examine supporters rule"---see the release
notes for a reference implementation. "The examine supporters rule is
not listed in any rulebook" gets rid of the weird output.

Best,
James

Jim Aikin

Jun 15, 2010, 1:58:55 PM6/15/10
On 6/15/2010 10:53 AM, cunningjames wrote:

> This is due to the new "examine supporters rule"---see the release
> notes for a reference implementation. "The examine supporters rule is
> not listed in any rulebook" gets rid of the weird output.

Whether or not the author can fix it, it's still a horrible bug. That
output is NEVER what one wants. Also, there's a space before the period
in the output, which is a separate bug.

I've reported it. They have to do a Windows maintenance update anyway,
may as well fix a few other little snarfles at the same time. (I mean,
we aren't going to have to wait a year for this to be fixed, are we? Are
we?)

--JA

cunningjames

Jun 15, 2010, 2:15:25 PM6/15/10
On Jun 15, 1:58 pm, Jim Aikin <midigur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/15/2010 10:53 AM, cunningjames wrote:
>

> > This is due to the new "examine supporters rule"---see the release
> > notes for a reference implementation. "The examine supporters rule is
> > not listed in any rulebook" gets rid of the weird output.
>
> Whether or not the author can fix it, it's still a horrible bug. That
> output is NEVER what one wants. Also, there's a space before the period
> in the output, which is a separate bug.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. I just wanted to make sure Al was aware of
what was happening and how to fix it in the meantime.

This is probably closer to the behavior they intended than unlisting
the rule:

<code>
Definition: a thing is unplayer if it is not the player.

Carry out examining (this is the new examine supporters rule):
if the noun is a supporter:
if the noun supports something that is not the player:
say "In [the noun] [is-are a list of unplayer things on the
noun].";
stop the action.

The new examine supporters rule is listed instead of the examine
supporters rule in the carry out examining rulebook.
</code>

Best,
James

> I've reported it. They have to do a Windows maintenance update anyway,
> may as well fix a few other little snarfles at the same time. (I mean,
> we aren't going to have to wait a year for this to be fixed, are we? Are
> we?)
>
> --JA

Best,
James

Al

Jun 15, 2010, 3:31:45 PM6/15/10
On Jun 15, 11:58 am, Jim Aikin <midigur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've reported it. They have to do a Windows maintenance update anyway,
> may as well fix a few other little snarfles at the same time. (I mean,
> we aren't going to have to wait a year for this to be fixed, are we? Are
> we?)

Boy I sure hope not.

and while Graham is at it he needs to get the compiler to remvoe the
extra line
feeds when a website is output.

khelwood

Jun 15, 2010, 3:39:28 PM6/15/10
On 15/06/2010 19:15, cunningjames wrote:

> Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. I just wanted to make sure Al was aware of
> what was happening and how to fix it in the meantime.
>
> This is probably closer to the behavior they intended than unlisting
> the rule:
>
> <code>
> Definition: a thing is unplayer if it is not the player.
>
> Carry out examining (this is the new examine supporters rule):
> if the noun is a supporter:
> if the noun supports something that is not the player:
> say "In [the noun] [is-are a list of unplayer things on the
> noun].";
> stop the action.
>
> The new examine supporters rule is listed instead of the examine
> supporters rule in the carry out examining rulebook.
> </code>
>
> Best,
> James

Or this preferably, to avoid introducing more bugs:
<code>
Carry out examining (this is the sensibly examine supporters rule):

if the noun is a supporter:

if something worth mentioning is on the noun:
issue library message looking action number 4 for the noun;
now examine text printed is true.

Definition: something is worth mentioning if it is not the player and it
is not scenery.

The sensibly examine supporters rule is listed instead of the examine

vaporware

Jun 15, 2010, 5:00:05 PM6/15/10

He doesn't read the newsgroup. Please file bug reports on the tracker:
http://inform7.com/mantis/

vw

Al

Jun 15, 2010, 6:35:35 PM6/15/10