What are the shorthand characters used in Inform 7

Brian

Oct 19, 2006, 12:40:22 AM10/19/06
I know some of the short hand characters such s N for going North and
Z for wait, but I'd be interested in knowing all of the shorthand
characters used during gameplay in Inform 7. I can't see any reference
in the manual, if there is a reference then what page number s it on?

Regards Brian

David Fisher

Oct 19, 2006, 1:00:15 AM10/19/06
"Brian" <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote in message

Looking at grammar.h, the single character commands (apart from the compass
directions n, s, e ,w, u and d) are q, x, i, l ,y and z:

Verb meta 'quit' 'q//' 'die'
Verb 'examine' 'x//' 'check' 'describe' 'watch'
Verb 'inventory' 'inv' 'i//'
Verb 'look' 'l//'
Verb 'yes' 'y//'
Verb 'wait' 'z//'

There's also 'g' ("again") and 'o' ("oops")

Some common non-standard ones are "h" (hint/ help), "a" (ask about) and "t"
(talk to).

This leaves the following other letters: bcfjkmprv.

David Fisher

David Fisher

Oct 19, 2006, 1:02:44 AM10/19/06
"David Fisher" <da...@hsa.com.au> wrote in message

> "Brian" <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote in message
>>I know some of the short hand characters such s N for going North and
>> Z for wait, but I'd be interested in knowing all of the shorthand
>> characters used during gameplay in Inform 7. I can't see any reference
>> in the manual, if there is a reference then what page number s it on?
>>
>> Regards Brian
>
> Looking at grammar.h, the single character commands (apart from the
> compass directions n, s, e ,w, u and d) are q, x, i, l ,y and z:

Oops, I was thinking of Inform 6 not Inform 7, so the reference to
"grammar.h" might not make sense. But the single character commands are
still the same in both :-)

David Fisher

John W. Kennedy

Oct 21, 2006, 2:34:54 PM10/21/06

"F" and "p" have a long history of being used for "fore" and "port"
(together with "aft" and "sb" for "starboard").

--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres

Richard Bos

Oct 21, 2006, 4:10:13 PM10/21/06
"David Fisher" <da...@hsa.com.au> wrote:

> Looking at grammar.h, the single character commands (apart from the compass
> directions n, s, e ,w, u and d) are q, x, i, l ,y and z:
>
> Verb meta 'quit' 'q//' 'die'
> Verb 'examine' 'x//' 'check' 'describe' 'watch'
> Verb 'inventory' 'inv' 'i//'
> Verb 'look' 'l//'
> Verb 'yes' 'y//'
> Verb 'wait' 'z//'
>
> There's also 'g' ("again") and 'o' ("oops")
>
> Some common non-standard ones are "h" (hint/ help), "a" (ask about) and "t"
> (talk to).
>
> This leaves the following other letters: bcfjkmprv.

In games that play on a boat, (p)ort, (s)tarboard, (f)ore and (a)ft are
often used. Starboard is then usually mapped to South, so most IF ships
apparently sail eastwards.

Richar

John W. Kennedy

Oct 21, 2006, 6:28:08 PM10/21/06

I don't know about that. Infocom used "sb" for starboard, had no
abbreviation for "aft", and mapped "fore" to north.