Hint System Permutations

William J. Maya

Feb 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/13/98

I'm in pre-production on my first "adventure" game in Inform. As part
of the design, I'd like to include a comprehensive hint system.

Instead of reinventing the wheel, I'd like to know what methods of
hint system inplementation in Inform are out there.

Thanks in anticipation of the help.

L. Ross Raszewski

Feb 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/13/98

In article <34e45656...@news.atl.mindspring.com>,

Try the hint system on GMD: Hints.h (which also requires Altmenu.h, Domenu.h,
and utility.h THis confuses some people, but I didn't want to lump them
together, lest you be stuck with features you didn't want, eating up Z-machine
resources) It allows you to define an object-oriented hint menu system nearly
identical to infocom's invisiclues system. The author (which is me) provides
full support and technical help, so even a novice has a fair chance of doing
well
(yes, this is a shameless plug.)

Patrick Kellum

Feb 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/13/98

In article <34e45656...@news.atl.mindspring.com>, William J. Maya was talking about:

>I'm in pre-production on my first "adventure" game in Inform. As part
>of the design, I'd like to include a comprehensive hint system.
>
>Instead of reinventing the wheel, I'd like to know what methods of
>hint system inplementation in Inform are out there.

Well,there's adaptive hints, hints that are only givin when that section
of the game is reached. I created an adaptive hint system when I ported
"The Night of the Vampire Bunnies by Jason Dyer" to Inform. It makes the
hint available when a puzzle or location is first encountered and formats
them in Invisiclues style using a subclass of Graham Nelson's menu.h file.
Feel free to extract the source for the hint system from this source code
and use it in your game.

<URL:ftp://ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/games/source/inform/bunny_s.zip>

Good luck with your adventure.

Patrick
---
A Title For This Page -- http://www.syix.com/patrick/
Bow Wow Wow Fan Page -- http://www.syix.com/patrick/bowwowwow/
The Small Wonder Page -- http://smallwonder.simplenet.com/
My Arcade Page -- http://ygw.bohemianweb.com/arcade/
"I have photographs of you naked with a squirrel." - Dave Barry

Lucian Paul Smith

Feb 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/13/98

William J. Maya (ar...@mindspring.com) wrote:
: I'm in pre-production on my first "adventure" game in Inform. As part

: of the design, I'd like to include a comprehensive hint system.

: Instead of reinventing the wheel, I'd like to know what methods of
: hint system inplementation in Inform are out there.

Try:

ftp://ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/programming/inform5.5/library/contributions/hints.h

and

ftp://ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/programming/inform6/library/contributions/menus.h

for some libraries to use and/or modify for when you're giving your hints.

For general information about hint-giving, try

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?IntFicHints

as well as a couple questions & answers at the end of:

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?IntFicInformTips

Hope that helps!

-Lucian "Lucian" Smith