3Z95 Compiler Problem

1 view

Al

Sep 15, 2006, 7:59:27 PM9/15/06
It appears that the verbs "blow" "fill" "swim" and "pray" give the new
3Z95 compiler problems. I noticed this with the worked examples that
use those verbs and my own port of "Shapes" which uses the verb "blow"
for the whistle.

vaporware

Sep 15, 2006, 8:04:13 PM9/15/06

Those verbs have been intentionally removed. This is mentioned in the
change log:

"The 'blowing' action, intended for woodwind instruments and perhaps
the
occasional siphon, has been withdrawn from the built-in set: it no
longer seems to us part of the essential core of actions. We have
similarly removed praying, digging, jumping over, filling and
swimming. (Our main concern with these was that, besides being of
marginal use, they tended to result in inappropriate text being
produced in the few cases where they were relevant.)"

You can define them on your own if you need them.

vw

Al

Sep 15, 2006, 8:39:19 PM9/15/06
vaporware wrote:
> Those verbs have been intentionally removed. This is mentioned in the
> change log:
> You can define them on your own if you need them.

OK but now I get this message for dropping someting when I didn't even
define drop something in my code:

Problem. In the sentence 'Understand "put down [things held]" as
dropping' , you used the '[things held]' as a token, which was allowed
in the early Public Beta versions of Inform 7, but became out of date
in August 2006. A change was then made so that if an action needed to
apply to something which was carried, this would now be specified when
the action is created - not in the Understand line for it. For
instance, one might say 'Dismantling is an action which applies to one
carried thing', instead of '...which applies to one thing', and then
write grammar such as 'Understand "dismantle [something] as
dismantling' instead of '...[something held]...'. So you probably need
to change your '[things held]' token to '[things]', and change the
action's definition (unless it is a built-in action such as
'dropping'). An alternative, though, for fine-tuning is to change it to
'[things preferably held]', which allows anything to be Understood, but
in cases of ambiguity tends to guess that something held is more likely
to be what the player means than something not held.

Al

Sep 15, 2006, 8:47:38 PM9/15/06
OK here's what I've found.

Changed Implicit Action does not work with the new compiler.

I got around it by hacking CIA.

I'l notify Emily.

Emily Short

Sep 15, 2006, 9:26:46 PM9/15/06

CIA is not necessary any longer, since it was always a hack to get rid
of the [something held] token. I will remove the extension from the
website later.