free custom cover art for IF games

Tim

Jan 8, 2007, 8:58:26 PM1/8/07
I like to tinker with graphics (among other things) so I thought I'd
offer to make a cover art for any IF games where the author can't make
their own or wants a different perspective. I am not a "trained"
artist but I've done some cool things.

I'd do one pic for free and you could tell me the gist of the game and
I could do something or any input you want to give is fine. But if
free, I couldn't really redo it over and over if you didn't like it.
I'd work with you on fine tuning but there'd be some limit beyond which
I'd have to say okay, I've done my best. take it or leave it. Just
common sense.

You can see some things I've done on my site (www.timsimmons.com).
Most I did just to be doing them. It'd be done digitally to whatever
size you want. I did 2 cover versions for this game I'm dabbling with
(which will probably take another 2 years to finish heheh). You can
see version 1 and 2 at www.timsimmons.com/if_game/Medium%20Cover.jpg
and www.timsimmons.com/if_game/cover.png. The 2nd one is the one I'm
going with. The .png will be transparent in the game so no matter what
bg color the player picks, it'll look great with the transparent
dropshadow. Takes more memory but.... oh well. Obviously a jpg will
be best if you don't need true transparency.

Just give me a credit in your game. That's all I'd ask. If I can't do
what you want or it's beyond my skills, I'll let you know.

You can email me from the address on the site or to meftsimmons (at
sign) yahoo (daught khom). hehehehe

Tim

Tim

Jan 8, 2007, 9:06:32 PM1/8/07

> You can email me from the address on the site or to meftsimmons (at
> sign) yahoo (daught khom). hehehehe
>

> Tim

There are some sample book covers in the commercial art section where I
made the artwork then made that into a "book". Also a few digital
pics in the fine art sections.

The one of Luke Skywalker is probably one of my best but I spent 2
months airbrushing it (with a real airbrush on real foam board).

Anyway, let me know if you want me to take a stab at something.

Tim

Arnel Legaspi

Jan 9, 2007, 7:38:51 AM1/9/07

Interesting work you got there. I'll let you know when one of my WIPs
get finished.

--Arnel

Tim

Jan 9, 2007, 9:37:37 PM1/9/07

> Interesting work you got there. I'll let you know when one of my WIPs
> get finished.
>
> --Arnel

Thanks. Gimme a shout.

Tim

Tim

Jan 31, 2007, 6:27:53 PM1/31/07
On Jan 9, 6:38 am, "Arnel Legaspi" <jalespr...@excite.com> wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > > You can email me from the address on the site or to meftsimmons (at
> > > sign) yahoo (daught khom). hehehehe
>
> > > Tim
>
> > There are some sample book covers in the commercialartsection where I

> > made the artwork then made that into a "book". Also a few digital
> > pics in the fineartsections.
>
> > The one of Luke Skywalker is probably one of my best but I spent 2
> > months airbrushing it (with a real airbrush on real foam board).
>
> > Anyway, let me know if you want me to take a stab at something.
>
> > Tim
>
> Interesting work you got there. I'll let you know when one of my WIPs
> get finished.
>
> --Arnel- Hide quoted text -

Well, I've done 2 games since I posted this (can't put the art on my
site until the games are out) so if anyone would like cover art for
their game, my offer still stands. Sometimes you get MORE than what
you pay for! hehehheheheh

The one I did for Jim Aiken turned out pretty cool.

Tim

rgrassi

Feb 1, 2007, 4:53:46 AM2/1/07
Actually, Tim, I'd need cover for Rpg rule book I'm writing...
Is your offer valid for this kind of things? :I
Rob

Tim

Feb 1, 2007, 8:43:52 PM2/1/07

Well, as long as you are not selling it and as long as it is not going
to be part of a whole which will be sold, I suppose my offer would be
valid. Again, I'm just doing these because I like it and I want to
help IFers who can't do their own covers or think they can't. hehehe
But the cost is to give me credit in the game/rulebook/whatever.

One point I didn't make (but do not have to legally) is that all of
the art I do for people is still (c) Tim Simmons meaning you can't go
using it for other stuff and especially selling it. This is not a
work for hire so you do not own the art once it's done. It just means
that I control it's ultimate disposition but you get to use it free
because I allow it to be used in THAT particular instance/situation.

So, if it is to be sold, then I probably am not interested even if you
paid me. I just want to do mostly IF and not feel unduly burdened
having to deal with the pressures of real "commercial" art
assignments. I do a regular job M-F so it's hard doing the digital
art at night (my eyes looking at a screen for 14 hrs a day) but I like
to create so...

Feel free to email me when you are ready to discuss what you need and
if I can do it, great!

I know a friend who draws and if I can't do it he might do it for very
cheap. Plus, there are tons of artists on various websites that might
do it for free.

Tim

Cesia

Feb 2, 2007, 7:58:17 PM2/2/07
I just want to say that I poked around your site and your artwork is
very nice. The fine art is beautiful and the photo touchups are
amazing! What do you do 9-5? You should be making money on art! :)

- Cesia

Tim

Feb 2, 2007, 10:53:26 PM2/2/07

Thanks for the compliments.

I do QA for Hilton Corp testing website changes before they go into
production. Been doing that for about a year now. I was trying to do
art b4 that but in 2005 I made about $10,000. That isn't enough in a
year to pay my bills. B4 that I was teaching computer science at a
local 2 year college.

Yeah, I guess my business saavy and my ego aren't big enough to make
it doing art for a living. Plus, I don't have a style or niche. Each
time I do something I do it differently. Sort of cool like that but
you never can churn out a bunch of stuff with a style of your own. I
tend to copy from something as a base (like the portraits). I copy a
photo and basically recreate it much larger using the airbrush.

I've gotten to where I just don't have the desire to spend 80% of my
time rubbing elbows and begging people so I can spend the other 20%
painting. I suppose I've resigned myself to just work 9-5 for
someone else and spend my nights and weekends doing whatever I want.

Thanks again!

Tim

Tim

Mar 6, 2007, 11:43:23 AM3/6/07
On Jan 31, 5:27 pm, "Tim" <meftsimm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > There are some sample book covers in the commercialartsection where I
> > > made the artwork then made that into a "book". Also a few digital
> > > pics in the fineartsections.
>
> > > The one of Luke Skywalker is probably one of my best but I spent 2
> > > months airbrushing it (with a real airbrush on real foam board).
>
> > > Anyway, let me know if you want me to take a stab at something.
>
> > >Tim
>
> > Interesting work you got there. I'll let you know when one of my WIPs
> > get finished.
>
> > --Arnel- Hide quoted text -

> Well, I've done 2 games since I posted this (can't put thearton my

> site until the games are out) so if anyone would likecoverartfor
> theirgame, my offer still stands. Sometimes you get MORE than what

> you pay for! hehehheheheh
>
> The one I did for Jim Aiken turned out pretty cool.

Correction: It's Jim Aikin. AIKIN! Sorry about that.

Tim