Jeff Nyman's I7 tutorials

Mike Tarbert

Dec 6, 2009, 8:46:00 PM12/6/09
Someone over on intfiction.org is looking for Jeff's tutorial on locale
descriptions. Is it still around? Here's the thread if anyone has any
info or a copy of it:

http://www.intfiction.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=877

Skinny Mike

Jeff Nyman

Dec 7, 2009, 5:26:54 AM12/7/09
On Dec 6, 7:46 pm, Mike Tarbert <miketarb...@embarqmail.com> wrote:
> Someone over on intfiction.org is looking for Jeff's tutorial on locale
> descriptions. Is it still around?

That ol' embarassing thing? Yeah, it's still around. I can send it to
whomever but I'll also upload it to the ifarchive as well.

The reason it disappeared is that I gave up my domain
(genuinetesting.com).

- Jeff

Jeff Nyman

Dec 8, 2009, 4:10:30 AM12/8/09
On Dec 7, 4:26 am, Jeff Nyman <jeffny...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can send it to whomever but I'll also upload it to the ifarchive as well.

So I'm not entirely sure where to put this on the IFArchive, to be
honest. It doesn't really seem to go anywhere that people would
logically look to find something like it. I already sent it to someone
who asked and I'm happy to do so for anyone else.

As a note, as I explained to someone else, the document needs some
work and I do know that. So I'm going to update it again. The main
thing I'm waiting on is the next release of Inform 7, just in case
some things changed significantly enough. I also want to cover more of
the Room Description Control and the various other extensions that
affect locale display.

Finally, the next document that's going to follow is going to be
documenting the conversation extensions that exist beyond what's
already in the extensions themselves. I essentially want to place them
in a context and relative to some specific techniques.

- Jeff

Andrew Plotkin

Dec 8, 2009, 10:17:27 AM12/8/09
Here, Jeff Nyman <jeff...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 4:26�am, Jeff Nyman <jeffny...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I can send it to whomever but I'll also upload it to the ifarchive as well.
>
> So I'm not entirely sure where to put this on the IFArchive, to be
> honest. It doesn't really seem to go anywhere that people would
> logically look to find something like it. I already sent it to someone
> who asked and I'm happy to do so for anyone else.

Please upload it and let David and Stephen figure it out. :) We
already have a programming/inform6/manuals directory, so
programming/inform7/manuals is the obvious choice.

The Archive is a defense against just such events as "Oh, I decided to
drop that domain", and you may not be on RAIF next time it happens for
people to ask. People may not think to look in that specific directory
for it, but other sites can link to it, and it's a lot better to have
it filed obscurely than not available at all.

--Z

*

Eleas

Dec 12, 2009, 9:39:15 PM12/12/09
> So I'm not entirely sure where to put this on the IFArchive, to be
> honest. It doesn't really seem to go anywhere that people would
> logically look to find something like it. I already sent it to someone
> who asked and I'm happy to do so for anyone else.

Hey there! I was the one back on intfiction who brought up the subject
in the first place. I would be very grateful to be able to have a look
at the document, with or without alterations.

> As a note, as I explained to someone else, the document needs some
> work and I do know that. So I'm going to update it again. The main
> thing I'm waiting on is the next release of Inform 7, just in case
> some things changed significantly enough. I also want to cover more of
> the Room Description Control and the various other extensions that
> affect locale display.

It sounds great, to be honest, though I worry if by asking the
question I've inadvertently piled work on your shoulders.

Best,
Björn Paulsen