Nominees announced for 1999 XYZZY Awards

Eileen Mullin

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
You've picked the XYZZY Awards nominees for the best games of 1999 -- are
you ready to pick the winners?

The XYZZY Awards are the IF "Oscars" that honor the authors of the best
text adventure games of the previous year by celebrating a wide array of
game characteristics that make IF so absorbing and fun to play. Check out
below who you, collectively, voted for as the nominees -- and then vote
yourself in the second round at <a
href="http://www.xyzzynews.com/99finalists.html">http://www.xyzzynews.com/99finalists.html</a>.

The deadline for second-round voting is Friday, February 11 at midnight
Eastern Standard Time. The award ceremony itself will take place on
Saturday, February 12 at 4 p.m. EST (which is 9 p.m. GMT), on the ifMUD.

Thank you,

Eileen

Listed alphabetically, the nominees are...

Best game:
For A Change
Lunatix: The Insanity Circle
The Mulldoon Legacy
Varicella
Worlds Apart

Best writing:
Exhibition
For A Change
Lunatix: The Insanity Circle
Varicella
Worlds Apart

Best story: (since there was a tie, we have 6 nominees)
Aisle
Common Ground
Lunatix: The Insanity Circle
The Mulldoon Legacy
Varicella
Worlds Apart

Best setting: (since there was a tie, we have 6 nominees)
Erehwon
For a Change
Hunter, in Darkness
The Mulldoon Legacy
Winter Wonderland
Worlds Apart

Best puzzles:
Lunatix: The Insanity Circle
The Mulldoon Legacy
Not Just an Ordinary Ballerina
Varicella
Worlds Apart

Best NPCs:
A Day for Soft Food
The Frenetic Five vs. Mr. Redundancy Man
The Mulldoon Legacy
Varicella
Worlds Apart

Best individual puzzle:
The Clone Puzzle, The Frenetic Five vs. Mr. Redundancy Man
Getting the Light Upstairs, The Mulldoon Legacy
The Maze, Hunter, in Darkness
Stopping the Flood, For a Change
The Water Puzzle, Break-In

Best individual NPC
Anatoly Domokov, Exhibition
Lyric/Echo in Worlds Apart
Miss Sierra, Varicella
Princess Charlotte, Varicella
The Wumpus in Hunter, In Darkness

Best individual PC:
The Cat, A Day for Soft Food
The Wife, Exhibition
Primo Varicella, Varicella
Sarah, Winchester's Nightmare
Unnamed PC, Aisle

Best use of medium:
Aisle
Hunter, in Darkness
Six Stories
Varicella
Worlds Apart

Lucian Paul Smith

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
Eileen Mullin (eil...@interport.net) wrote:

: Best individual puzzle:

: The Maze, Hunter, in Darkness

Hey--which one? (There was one maze, but two possible puzzles)

-Lucian