CSSComp: The winner

Andrew Plotkin

Feb 17, 2009, 12:21:21 AM2/17/09
I am pleased to announce the winner: "Chartist", by Chris Klimas. The
Archive is now displaying the new style. Congratulations to Chris. And
thanks to all the entrants for your work.

(Shift-reload if you aren't seeing it yet. You might have the old
ifarchive.css file cached. Please let me know if the site is
displaying funny; we were having some trouble with IE7, and I'm not
sure I fixed it right.)

The Popular Choice vote was pretty darn solid. Out of 65 ballots,
Chartist appeared on 52, and 44 of them put it first. (The next-best
candidate appeared on just 17.) David, Stephen, Goob, and I were
equally pleased with it. I just made a few adjustments, such as
increasing the font size.

The final ranking (which had a tie for second place):

1: Chartist, Chris Klimas
2: Very Simple One, Eric Forgeot
": Black, Blue, Columns, Icons, Dave C
4: Sea Plain, Andrew Plotkin
5: Grey, Mark J Musante
6: Sans Serif Square, Watts Martin
7: The Original, Andrew Plotkin
8: The Cafe, Paolo Pellegri
9: Black and Tan, Mark J Musante
10: Simp1e, Peter Mattsson
11: Halo, David Knott
12: Color Blocks Example, Andrew Plotkin

I will update the CSSComp page shortly to reflect the results.

--Z

*

Eriorg

Feb 17, 2009, 8:45:04 AM2/17/09
On 17 fév, 06:21, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:
> I am pleased to announce the winner: "Chartist", by Chris Klimas. The
> Archive is now displaying the new style. Congratulations to Chris. And
> thanks to all the entrants for your work.

Yes, congratulations to Chris Klimas!

> (Shift-reload if you aren't seeing it yet. You might have the old
> ifarchive.css file cached. Please let me know if the site is
> displaying funny; we were having some trouble with IE7, and I'm not
> sure I fixed it right.)

There's a small problem with the front page on Opera, at least with
Opera version 9.52 on Windows: the word "Roberts" from the link to the
IFDB is unreadable because the "To Submit Files" title covers it.

There's no such problem in Chris Klimas' original entry at
http://ifarchive.org/csscomp/cklimas/index.html , even when I increase
the font size enormously. (There's no such problem with Firefox,
either.)

> The final ranking (which had a tie for second place):
>
> 1: Chartist, Chris Klimas
> 2: Very Simple One, Eric Forgeot
> ": Black, Blue, Columns, Icons, Dave C
> 4: Sea Plain, Andrew Plotkin
> 5: Grey, Mark J Musante
> 6: Sans Serif Square, Watts Martin
> 7: The Original, Andrew Plotkin
> 8: The Cafe, Paolo Pellegri
> 9: Black and Tan, Mark J Musante
> 10: Simp1e, Peter Mattsson
> 11: Halo, David Knott
> 12: Color Blocks Example, Andrew Plotkin

The last places are the same as my own vote. Does it mean that I was
the only one who ranked *every* entry from best to worst?

Andrew Plotkin

Feb 17, 2009, 11:15:50 AM2/17/09
Here, Eriorg <Eri...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> There's a small problem with the front page on Opera, at least with
> Opera version 9.52 on Windows: the word "Roberts" from the link to the
> IFDB is unreadable because the "To Submit Files" title covers it.
>
> There's no such problem in Chris Klimas' original entry at
> http://ifarchive.org/csscomp/cklimas/index.html , even when I increase
> the font size enormously. (There's no such problem with Firefox,
> either.)

Intriguing. I'll see what I can do.

> > The final ranking (which had a tie for second place):
> >
> > 1: Chartist, Chris Klimas
> > 2: Very Simple One, Eric Forgeot
> > ": Black, Blue, Columns, Icons, Dave C
> > 4: Sea Plain, Andrew Plotkin
> > 5: Grey, Mark J Musante
> > 6: Sans Serif Square, Watts Martin
> > 7: The Original, Andrew Plotkin
> > 8: The Cafe, Paolo Pellegri
> > 9: Black and Tan, Mark J Musante
> > 10: Simp1e, Peter Mattsson
> > 11: Halo, David Knott
> > 12: Color Blocks Example, Andrew Plotkin
>
> The last places are the same as my own vote. Does it mean that I was
> the only one who ranked *every* entry from best to worst?

Two voters did that. However, even if you were the only one who had,
it wouldn't mean that you were solely responsible for the bottom end
of the scale. Everyone who mentioned Halo or Color Blocks (or both)
influenced which of those beat the other. And so on.

RootShell (www.ifreviews.org)

Feb 17, 2009, 3:35:55 PM2/17/09
On 17 Fev, 05:21, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:
> The final ranking (which had a tie for second place):
>
>   1: Chartist, Chris Klimas

And what a victory it was... Without a doubt, it was one of the most
professional looking CSS shown.

Congratulations to Chris Klimas for this and for sharing it :)

Kind Regards,
RootShell

Nathan

Feb 17, 2009, 3:41:40 PM2/17/09
On Feb 16, 10:21 pm, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:

> (Shift-reload if you aren't seeing it yet. You might have the old
> ifarchive.css file cached. Please let me know if the site is
> displaying funny; we were having some trouble with IE7, and I'm not
> sure I fixed it right.)

The main site looks fine to me, but mirror.ifarchive.org
has a weird dark background.

Gav Massingham

Feb 17, 2009, 4:15:40 PM2/17/09
On Feb 17, 8:41 pm, Nathan <ntsp...@netscape.net> wrote:
> On Feb 16, 10:21 pm, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:
>
> > (Shift-reload if you aren't seeing it yet. You might have the old
> > ifarchive.css file cached. Please let me know if the site is
> > displaying funny; we were having some trouble with IE7, and I'm not
> > sure I fixed it right.)

Is any kind of 'CSS reset' being used before the main style sheet to
get rid of any browser imposed styling?
E.g Eric Meyer's reset.css:

http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2007/05/01/reset-reloaded/

Doing so might get rid of some browser specific issues, (or at least
make them easier to fix).

New styling looks very good, by the way.

Gav

namekuseijin

Feb 17, 2009, 4:24:19 PM2/17/09

Possibly they've not updated yet?

Nice choice indeed! :D

Andrew Plotkin

Feb 17, 2009, 4:44:53 PM2/17/09
In rec.arts.int-fiction, Gav Massingham <gavmas...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 17, 8:41 pm, Nathan <ntsp...@netscape.net> wrote:
> > On Feb 16, 10:21 pm, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:
> >
> > > (Shift-reload if you aren't seeing it yet. You might have the old
> > > ifarchive.css file cached. Please let me know if the site is
> > > displaying funny; we were having some trouble with IE7, and I'm not
> > > sure I fixed it right.)
> >

> Is any kind of 'CSS reset' being used before the main style sheet to
> get rid of any browser imposed styling?
> E.g Eric Meyer's reset.css:
>
> http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2007/05/01/reset-reloaded/

Jesus Cadwaller on a motorcycle, no.

Andrew Plotkin

Feb 17, 2009, 4:47:31 PM2/17/09

You're right, I needed to tweak something by hand there and I'd
forgotten to. Thanks.

Andrew Plotkin

Feb 17, 2009, 9:00:34 PM2/17/09
Here, Eriorg <Eri...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> There's a small problem with the front page on Opera, at least with
> Opera version 9.52 on Windows: the word "Roberts" from the link to the
> IFDB is unreadable because the "To Submit Files" title covers it.

Is it fixed?

Eriorg

Feb 17, 2009, 9:27:02 PM2/17/09
On 18 fév, 03:00, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:
> Here, Eriorg <Eri...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There's a small problem with the front page on Opera, at least with
> > Opera version 9.52 on Windows: the word "Roberts" from the link to the
> > IFDB is unreadable because the "To Submit Files" title covers it.
>
> Is it fixed?

Yes, it is. Thank you!

Dennis Carlyle

Feb 17, 2009, 9:42:44 PM2/17/09
> (Shift-reload if you aren't seeing it yet. You might have the old
> ifarchive.css file cached. Please let me know if the site is
> displaying funny; we were having some trouble with IE7, and I'm not
> sure I fixed it right.)

IE7 - Windows XP.

The page at http://www.ifarchive.org/ looks fine.

If I go to "Index: if-Archive" I have problems with --

Menu on the left
-------------------
-- *recent additions*: A window - "getting file info" pops up, and another
one over that asking if I want to save the file. Same thing occurs for this
item with the link at the bottom of "Index: if-archive."
-- *long xml desc. of every file* - shows source of "Master-index.xml" with
CSS styling.
But the link at the bottom of the page goes to "Master-index", and works as
intended.

Andrew Plotkin

Feb 18, 2009, 12:07:31 AM2/18/09
Here, Dennis Carlyle <dgc...@telus.net> wrote:

> If I go to "Index: if-Archive" I have problems with --
>
> Menu on the left
> -------------------
> -- *recent additions*: A window - "getting file info" pops up, and another
> one over that asking if I want to save the file. Same thing occurs for this
> item with the link at the bottom of "Index: if-archive."
> -- *long xml desc. of every file* - shows source of "Master-index.xml" with
> CSS styling.

These are MIME type issues. Master-index.xml is text/xml, which is
correct; your browser can display XML however it likes. Master-index
(no suffix) is a plain text file, which is also correct.

new-since-last-post is coming out as message/news, and that's
goof-ass... looks like the "file" command is generating that guess.
I'll see if I can work around that.

Thanks for the note.

Andrew Plotkin

Feb 18, 2009, 12:23:59 AM2/18/09
Here, Andrew Plotkin <erky...@eblong.com> wrote:

> new-since-last-post is coming out as message/news, and that's
> goof-ass... looks like the "file" command is generating that guess.
> I'll see if I can work around that.

Fixed. Hopefully without breaking anything else.