The IF Comp 10 surveys...

Conrad

Oct 2, 2010, 2:54:49 PM10/2/10
One per game.

In essence, this is quality control. If you fill out a survey after
you vote for a game, then that allows the author and the authorship
community to know and understand what you liked and want more of, and
what you didn't like and want less of.

If you're reading this on newsgroups, where I'm posting it, then you
probably realize there's some controversy around the question of what
makes a text game good. That's a difficult question to answer; but we
can begin by collecting hard data on what makes a game you like.

The IF Comp 10 website is, of coure,
http://www.ifcomp.org

The 12:54 to Asgard, by J. Robinson Wheeler
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F9KCMZK

The Bible Retold: The Lost Sheep, by Ben Pennington
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F8JY3K5

The Chronicler, by John Evans
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F8WRCDS

Death Off the Cuff, by Simon Christiansen
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F86WM32

East Grove Hills, by XYZ
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FLYCPPN

Flight of the Hummingbird, by Michael Martin
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FLCMRL7

Heated, by Timothy Peers
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FLW783W

Mite, by Sara Dee
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FLXMVSB

Ninja's Fate, by Hannes Schueller
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FL3Z828

The People's Glorious Revolutionary Text Adventure Game, by Taylor
Vaughan
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FL6DBWN

Pen and Paint, by Owen Parish
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F992YK9

A quiet evening at home, by anonymous
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FL5BJLZ

The Warbler's Nest, by Jason McIntosh
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FV8LVZL

Rogue of the Multiverse, by C.E.J. Pacian
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FVGRX7J

Aotearoa, by Matt Wigdahl
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FVZB9FC

The Bible Retold: Following a Star, by Justin Morgan
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F7VLZHZ

The Blind House, by Maude Overton
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F7D2QQB

Divis Mortis, by Lynnea Dally
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F72TKX2

Gigantomania, by Michelle Tirto
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F7QLMYM

Gris et Jaune, by Steve van Gaal
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F7TTBNM

One Eye Open, by Colin Sandel and Carolyn VanEseltine
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F7X7RZR

Oxygen, by ShadowK
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F7FL9FD

Under, In Erebus, by Brian Rapp
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F73RW3G

R, by therealeasterbunny
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F7PKHGQ

Leadlight, by Wade Clarke
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F76ZRRV

Violet

Oct 2, 2010, 4:46:11 PM10/2/10
On 2 Okt., 20:54, Conrad <conradc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In essence, this is quality control.  If you fill out a survey after
> you vote for a game, then that allows the author and the authorship
> community to know and understand what you liked and want more of, and
> what you didn't like and want less of.

And what exactly makes your survey so more special than the original
IFComp voting system which we used for the last 10 years?

Besides, if people will vote in your survey they may have some more
information, but the scores won't be counted anyway since your website
is not connected to the official IFComp voting systen. So what's the
point?

Come on. Use your brain! And don't be another nuisance, because
you are only making a fool of yourself right now. At first you
insulted
voters of being lazy, because they won't write online reviews. Now
you are trying to intimidate people to come to your website and vote
there instead. Are you lame or something? Everyone will use the IFComp
organizer's voting system in order to make their scores being counted.

To all voters. Ignore Conrad and his survey. He's just trying to make
other IFComp voters look bad.

Jim Aikin

Oct 2, 2010, 5:00:40 PM10/2/10
On 10/2/2010 1:46 PM, Violet wrote:

> And what exactly makes your survey so more special than the original
> IFComp voting system which we used for the last 10 years?

It's a lot more detailed, for one thing. If you're willing to accept
that it's a completely unofficial survey, and not get in a twist about
it, you might find a few of the questions worth pondering -- "How much
did you identify with the PC?" "How clear an idea did you have of your
position in the game's space?" "How much did you like this game's
story?" These are all good questions.

> Besides, if people will vote in your survey they may have some more
> information, but the scores won't be counted anyway since your website
> is not connected to the official IFComp voting systen. So what's the
> point?

It's difficult to know whether any type of survey will produce useful or
interesting results until after you've done the survey.

> To all voters. Ignore Conrad and his survey. He's just trying to make
> other IFComp voters look bad.

I'd be more inclined to think he's trying to develop a database of
better information in order to help authors.

--JA

Retro

Oct 2, 2010, 5:18:18 PM10/2/10
Well, it's not a bad idea in my opinion. I would gladly take the
survey.
No problem. But as others have pointed out here, it's an unofficial
survey. It's not connected to scores being counted on the ifcomp
server right now.

Whatever. Let's wait and see how many people will vote in this...

Emilian

Andrew Plotkin

Oct 2, 2010, 5:34:32 PM10/2/10
In rec.games.int-fiction, Violet <viol...@writeme.com> wrote:
> At first you insulted voters of being lazy

No he didn't.

--Z

*

Violet

Oct 2, 2010, 5:39:50 PM10/2/10
On 2 Okt., 23:00, Jim Aikin <midigur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > To all voters. Ignore Conrad and his survey. He's just trying to make
> > other IFComp voters look bad.
>
> I'd be more inclined to think he's trying to develop a database of
> better information in order to help authors.
>
> --JA

Oh really? self-proclaimed samaritan Conrad coming and helping the IF
community out. how noble of him. don't make me laugh out loud. you
really believe that? just for your info: surveymonkey.com is a damn
german website which is online since 1999. so if this is such a great
idea then why hasn't Conrad proposed it years before? why did he come
out with it now?

Jim Aikin

Oct 2, 2010, 5:45:03 PM10/2/10
On 10/2/2010 2:39 PM, Violet wrote:
> On 2 Okt., 23:00, Jim Aikin<midigur...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> To all voters. Ignore Conrad and his survey. He's just trying to make
>>> other IFComp voters look bad.
>>
>> I'd be more inclined to think he's trying to develop a database of
>> better information in order to help authors.
>>
>> --JA
>
> Oh really? self-proclaimed samaritan Conrad coming and helping the IF
> community out. how noble of him. don't make me laugh out loud. you
> really believe that?

Who's being the troll now?

Look, you don't have to believe that his methodology will be _effective_
in order to give him credit for having (a) good intentions and (b) a lot
more initiative than you yourself have so far displayed.

> just for your info: surveymonkey.com is a damn
> german website which is online since 1999. so if this is such a great
> idea then why hasn't Conrad proposed it years before? why did he come
> out with it now?

Yeah, I can see how you'd be upset about that. The fact that he would
use a _German_ website -- that's just a giant red flag, isn't it?

Also, you seem quite clearly to be asserting that no good idea should be
proposed unless it was proposed years before. That principle, if
rigorously adhered to, would have left us all living in caves and
wearing uncured animal hides.

You're sounding an awful lot like Jacek Pudlo, come to think of it --
not a shred of logic, just a spewing of random abuse.

--JA

Conrad

Oct 2, 2010, 5:53:16 PM10/2/10
On Oct 2, 5:18 pm, Retro <retrozyk...@t-online.de> wrote:

> Well, it's not a bad idea in my opinion. I would gladly take the
> survey.
> No problem. But as others have pointed out here, it's an unofficial
> survey. It's not connected to scores being counted on the ifcomp
> server right now.

Well, that's true. But the surveys *do* ask what score the judge gave
the game in the Comp. So we ought to get a managable subset of the
proper data.

> Whatever. Let's wait and see how many people will vote in this...

I mean, we *won't* get enough people to be able to make statistically
tight conclusions. We *can't* (as Gravel recently pointed out on my
blog. There's only about 300 people who play the Comp, and we'll only
get some fraction of them.

But, if you look at the debates that go on, here and elsewhere, about
what makes a game "good," you'll see the need for some kind of hard
data.

Obviously, and as J.P. often points out, I'm only able to measure what
people *like*. Whether that's the same thing as what is *good* is
another question.

But we'll have hard data in a standard form that we can compare
against a wealth of reviews.

Conrad.

ps - Regrettably, I hadn't found the community in 99.

Retro

Oct 2, 2010, 5:53:42 PM10/2/10
On 2 Okt., 23:39, Violet <viole...@writeme.com> wrote:

> surveymonkey.com is a damn german website

Hey violet, do you have sth against Germans?

I'm asking, because I'm German and I really don't
appreciate people who insult other nations.

And I already told you in my topic. You accuse
other people of trolling but you don't behave
any better.

Please clarify.

Emilian

Violet

Oct 2, 2010, 6:23:21 PM10/2/10
On 2 Okt., 23:53, Retro <retrozyk...@t-online.de> wrote:
> Hey violet, do you have sth against Germans?

No, I have nothing against guys like you. But I do have something
against Conrad. Every year it's the same shit. He wants to instruct
other people what to do and what not to do. I tell you. This entire
year he prepared for this one moment in hope that people will take his
survey. He seriously hopes that all 300 voters or more in this year's
competition will surf to his website. But you know what? Everyone can
come up with a survey like this. I can make a survey like that too.
And certainly Stephen Granade could do one aswell if he wanted. But
nooo, Conrad thinks the IFComp organizers need help to create better
competitions.

Retro

Oct 2, 2010, 7:26:50 PM10/2/10
On 3 Okt., 00:23, Violet <viole...@writeme.com> wrote:

> But you know what? Everyone can
> come up with a survey like this. I can make a survey like that too.
> And certainly Stephen Granade could do one aswell if he wanted. But
> nooo, Conrad thinks the IFComp organizers need help to create better
> competitions.

So what is this quarrel all about? You and Conrad I mean...

Leandro Ribeiro

Oct 2, 2010, 9:09:47 PM10/2/10

> just for your info: surveymonkey.com is a damn
> german website which is online since 1999. so if this is such a great
> idea then why hasn't Conrad proposed it years before? why did he come
> out with it now?

You know, I'm glad you asked that!

There is a similar question that has been haunting me for quite some time
now, and who knows you can help: numbers and math symbols have been around
for centuries, but only in 1861 Maxwell came up with his famous differential
equations. Why only then if he thought they were such a great idea?

It gets me wondering...

Violet

Oct 2, 2010, 9:26:51 PM10/2/10
On 3 Okt., 01:26, Retro <retrozyk...@t-online.de> wrote:

> So what is this quarrel all about? You and Conrad I mean...

It's a cyberwar which has went on in the IF community for a couple of
years. There are two factions competing with each other. One faction -
which I belong to - believes that we should keep things as they are in
the IFComp. This also applies to the current voting system. The other
faction intends to change things and shape the IFComp for its own
purposes. Conrad's survey is just the beginning for more dubious
changes in the future. And he got his marching orders now. Conrad is
viewed as a threat by the old establishment.

J R Houck

Oct 2, 2010, 10:32:25 PM10/2/10
On 10/2/2010 7:26 PM, Violet wrote:
> It's a cyberwar which has went on in the IF community for a couple of
> years. There are two factions competing with each other. One faction -
> which I belong to - believes that we should keep things as they are in
> the IFComp.

Currently you seem to be a faction of exactly ONE ...

Poster

Oct 3, 2010, 12:08:19 AM10/3/10
In article
<1340bcd4-a70b-4caf...@n3g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
Violet <viol...@writeme.com> wrote:

> On 2 Okt., 20:54, Conrad <conradc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In essence, this is quality control.  If you fill out a survey after
> > you vote for a game, then that allows the author and the authorship
> > community to know and understand what you liked and want more of, and
> > what you didn't like and want less of.

I don't think this is necessary. I write what I'm driven to write.
People can like it or loathe it. There's no need for a centralized
database of wants and dislikes, and it would always be incomplete and
suffer terribly from respondent bias.

So, while I don't share Violet's passion, I also have a dim view of this.

--
Poster

www.intaligo.com I6 libraries, doom metal, Building, Zegrothenus
sturmdrangif.wordpress.com Game development blog / IF commentary
Seasons: Q4 '11 -- One-man projects are prone to delays.

Dannii

Oct 3, 2010, 12:22:16 AM10/3/10

I love this thread's high LOLs density!

In general anyone who uses the words "faction", "cabal" or
"establishment" is great for the LOLs. Perhaps I should make my own
survey to get some hard data... is there really a statistical
correlation between these words and LOLworthy RAIF threads?!?

Jim Aikin

Oct 3, 2010, 12:31:50 AM10/3/10
On 10/2/2010 9:08 PM, Poster wrote:
> In article
> <1340bcd4-a70b-4caf...@n3g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
> Violet<viol...@writeme.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2 Okt., 20:54, Conrad<conradc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> In essence, this is quality control. If you fill out a survey after
>>> you vote for a game, then that allows the author and the authorship
>>> community to know and understand what you liked and want more of, and
>>> what you didn't like and want less of.
>
> I don't think this is necessary. I write what I'm driven to write.
> People can like it or loathe it. There's no need for a centralized
> database of wants and dislikes, and it would always be incomplete and
> suffer terribly from respondent bias.

Poster and I don't always see eye to eye, but I agree completely with
this. While I feel some of Conrad's survey questions are
thought-provoking, I would have no use for the results of the survey.

--JA

Retro

Oct 3, 2010, 6:39:42 AM10/3/10
On 3 Okt., 03:26, Violet <viole...@writeme.com> wrote:

> It's a cyberwar which has went on in the IF community for a couple of
> years. There are two factions competing with each other. One faction -
> which I belong to - believes that we should keep things as they are in
> the IFComp. This also applies to the current voting system. The other
> faction intends to change things and shape the IFComp for its own
> purposes. Conrad's survey is just the beginning for more dubious
> changes in the future. And he got his marching orders now. Conrad is
> viewed as a threat by the old establishment.

Ok, Rambo. Whatever. LOL

I knew there were some strange people in this community,
but I didn't know that it was that bad. o_O

Emilian

Conrad

Oct 3, 2010, 9:04:44 AM10/3/10

Emilian and others,

I *won't deny* that my faction has numerous plans regarding the
future, not only of the IF Comp, but the entire IF authorship and game-
playing community. Nor will I deny that all our talks take place in
deepest secrecy. But I will assure you that when we have shaped the
IF community to our own purposes, benefits will come to everyone --
members of our faction, of THEIRS, and neutrals.

But I *will* object to "Violet's" claim that he represents powerful
old-timers in the community. I assure you, he does not represent
*all* of them.

On Oct 3, 12:31 am, Jim Aikin <midigur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Poster and I don't always see eye to eye, but I agree completely with
> this. While I feel some of Conrad's survey questions are
> thought-provoking, I would have no use for the results of the survey.

Well, as a writer I respect that. But I don't want to let this go by
and let people come away with the impression that the surveys are for
the purpose of teaching IF authors to better pander to their audience.

The goal is simply to understand better, in a measured way, what
people are responding to. The intended advantage to the author is
simply better command of the medium.

As an IF author, Jim, I imagine you do quite a lot of work for the
benefit of the reader. You do it in a way that expresses what you're
getting at. But the reason you do it is to produce a higher-quality
game.

The data is meant to turn up, in a numbered way, what dimensions and
modalities we should be paying attention to.

The project isn't meant to dictate to authors how to make games.

Conrad.

J R Houck

Oct 3, 2010, 9:19:46 AM10/3/10

Personally, as a fledgling IF author, I can see some merit in a survey
like this. I agree with Poster too, one is going to write what one
wishes, but OTOH, being able to avoid pitfalls (no pun intended) could
be useful as well to new authors.

I remember "Creative Writing" classes from my high school days. We
examined several popular authors and discussed what made their styles of
writing unique and well, popular. I can see some of this survey
information in the same light, IF 'ers discussing or analyzing to some
extent what makes a particular game good to them.

Respondent bias is fine IMO. What else is a survey except a reporting of
one's likes and dislikes?

Cheers.

Violet

Oct 3, 2010, 9:51:01 AM10/3/10

On 3 Okt., 12:39, Retro <retrozyk...@t-online.de> wrote:

> Ok, Rambo. Whatever. LOL
>
> I knew there were some strange people in this community,
> but I didn't know that it was that bad. o_O

Guys, don't lol about me! The community knows that I'm right. I
certainly have 100 oldtimers behind me who will support me in this
debate.

And Retro, why the heck do you support Conrad now? You said you only
wanted to vote in the comp..

Peter Pears

Oct 3, 2010, 10:36:45 AM10/3/10
>. I
> certainly have 100 oldtimers behind me who will support me in this
> debate.

I'll be sure to start counting. So far, there's you and two people who
rather share your views somewhat (though they didn't pronounce
themselves about your method or your tone). Does that count as them
being behind you?

Violet

Oct 3, 2010, 11:00:21 AM10/3/10

Peter, listen to me and don't ignore me like Conrad, Retro and the
others. We gonna win this fight. Give us your full support, dude. You
know the old community. We don't need a new voting system.

Peter Pears

Oct 3, 2010, 11:15:22 AM10/3/10

My two cents is that the old voting system is good enough for what it
is - choosing winners. And Conrad's survey is something else entirely,
meant to provide another sort of feedback. Personally, I think reviews
are more efficient, but it's a game effort, and filling out Conrad's
survey is actually like playing The Baron. It's not enough to make a
choice - you are confronted with your choice and have to elaborate on
it. It's qualitative, while the old voting system is quantitative - as
it should be, considering it's a *voting system*.

Also, I see no fight. I certainly don't see Conrad trying to impose
anything on anyone.

Conrad

Oct 3, 2010, 12:04:42 PM10/3/10
On Oct 3, 11:00 am, Violet <viole...@writeme.com> wrote:

> Peter, listen to me and don't ignore me like Conrad, Retro and the
> others. We gonna win this fight. Give us your full support, dude. You
> know the old community. We don't need a new voting system.

You faction goin' DOWN, V. You notice they didn't have **authorship
forums** in '99, huh? Did they?

The well-inflated wheels of progress never rolled so quickly as over
microculturally conservative text game programmers. Be warned.

dott.Piergiorgio

Oct 3, 2010, 1:19:26 PM10/3/10
Il 03/10/2010 15:04, Conrad ha scritto:

> Emilian and others,
>
> I *won't deny* that my faction has numerous plans regarding the
> future, not only of the IF Comp, but the entire IF authorship and game-
> playing community. Nor will I deny that all our talks take place in
> deepest secrecy. But I will assure you that when we have shaped the
> IF community to our own purposes, benefits will come to everyone --
> members of our faction, of THEIRS, and neutrals.

Trouble is, these rants, flames and suspects seems rooted in a perceived
attempt or doubts of an attempt (re)commercialise IF, and this led to
the usual suspicions when money (no matter how few or how much) is
involved....

Generally I ignore these flames, (and I force myself to skim these ugly
threads) but I heartly advise: don't spoil or rot the IFComp for this or
that flamingo and/or personal grudges (or worst, agendas)

Dott. Piergiorgio.

Andrew Plotkin

Oct 3, 2010, 2:40:07 PM10/3/10
In rec.arts.int-fiction, dott.Piergiorgio <dott.Pierg...@kaigun.fastwebnet.it> wrote:
> Il 03/10/2010 15:04, Conrad ha scritto:
> >
> > I *won't deny* that my faction has numerous plans regarding the
> > future, not only of the IF Comp, but the entire IF authorship and game-
> > playing community. Nor will I deny that all our talks take place in
> > deepest secrecy. But I will assure you that when we have shaped the
> > IF community to our own purposes, benefits will come to everyone --
> > members of our faction, of THEIRS, and neutrals.
>
> Trouble is, these rants, flames and suspects seems rooted in a perceived
> attempt or doubts of an attempt (re)commercialise IF

I'm pretty sure Conrad was kidding.

I know that *my* deeply-secret plans to transform the entire IF
authorship community mostly revolve around pneumatic tubes, steam
engines, and an invisible zeppelin base hovering over Yellowstone
National Park.

dott.Piergiorgio

Oct 3, 2010, 4:33:03 PM10/3/10
Il 03/10/2010 20:40, Andrew Plotkin ha scritto:

> I know that *my* deeply-secret plans to transform the entire IF
> authorship community mostly revolve around pneumatic tubes, steam
> engines, and an invisible zeppelin base hovering over Yellowstone
> National Park.

OK that means that if came out an anonymous but top-quality steampunk
IF, everyone known that came from Zarf's mind ;)

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

Victor Gijsbers

Oct 3, 2010, 5:02:01 PM10/3/10

I am always glad when discussions with weird trolls lead to good jokes
-- it justifies their existence, don't you think?

Never will I forget the immortal Adam Thornton joke in a Jacek
Pudlo-thread entitled "How often do you get laid thanks to your IF?"

JACEK: How often do you get laid thanks to your IF?

ME: I only get laid thanks to Adam Thornton's IF. :(

ADAM: Wow. Can you tell me the trick to that? It never works for me.

DARYL: Have you tried "Want to come upstairs and see my interactive
fiction?"

ADAM: Yeah, she said "I only understood you as far as wanting to come."
Which initially seemed pretty promising, but turned out to just be a
parser error.

Kind regards,
Victor

PS. Are you related to my favourite Portuguese metal singer? :)

Captain Mikee

Oct 3, 2010, 5:08:54 PM10/3/10
Conrad, will you be making results available? Although I'm not
registered as a competitor, I contributed to one of the competition
games, and I'd love to get as much feedback as possible, from any and
every source.

I apologize if you already posted this information and it got lost in
the noise. I started skimming when I saw flames.

Peter Pears

Oct 3, 2010, 5:57:10 PM10/3/10

Hey, how can you know Portuguese metal singers called Violet? I'm
Portuguese and all I know is Moonspell! Not fair!

Stephen Granade

Oct 3, 2010, 6:01:33 PM10/3/10
Violet <viol...@writeme.com> writes:

I'm quite glad for folks to help out in the competition. For now I'll
post a link to the surveys on the comp web page. Next year, Conrad,
let's work to integrate survey links for each game as part of the comp
system.

Stephen

--
Stephen Granade
ste...@granades.com

Adam Thornton

Oct 3, 2010, 6:36:39 PM10/3/10
In article <2cab4397-81ab-417f...@h7g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,

Violet <viol...@writeme.com> wrote:
>Guys, don't lol about me! The community knows that I'm right. I
>certainly have 100 oldtimers behind me who will support me in this
>debate.

*ARE* there 100 oldtimers? That's probably about 80 more than I coud
name.

Adam

Retro

Oct 4, 2010, 7:56:27 AM10/4/10
On 3 Okt., 15:51, Violet <viole...@writeme.com> wrote:

> And Retro, why the heck do you support Conrad now? You said you only
> wanted to vote in the comp..

At first I only wanted to vote in the comp. But after Conrad
presented his survey I actually thought it was interesting,
provided that it's integrated in the official IFComp ofcourse.
Voters are given the opportunity to give authors a more
detailed feedback about their games without the need to
write reviews. I think it's a great idea which the IFComp
organizers can consider.

E.

Conrad

Oct 4, 2010, 7:59:36 AM10/4/10
On Oct 3, 5:08 pm, Captain Mikee <captainmi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Conrad, will you be making results available? Although I'm not
> registered as a competitor, I contributed to one of the competition
> games,

Good for you!

> and I'd love to get as much feedback as possible, from any and
> every source.
>
> I apologize if you already posted this information and it got lost in
> the noise. I started skimming when I saw flames.

I'll make the raw data publicly available. I haven't considered how
to deliver it yet. I'll default to a Google docs spreadsheet if I
don't find a better vehicle.

If feasible, directly at the end of the Comp I'll email each author
the ugly, unformatted data for their own game. That way they don't
have to wait for me to get the whole package together.

So, you can get the data early through the author you worked with, or
when it's made public.

Conrad.

Conrad

Oct 4, 2010, 9:17:11 AM10/4/10
On Oct 3, 6:01 pm, Stephen Granade <step...@granades.com> wrote:

> I'm quite glad for folks to help out in the competition. For now I'll
> post a link to the surveys on the comp web page. Next year, Conrad,
> let's work to integrate survey links for each game as part of the comp
> system.

Sweet!

C.

Leandro Ribeiro

Oct 4, 2010, 9:29:21 AM10/4/10
Victor Gijsbers wrote:

You have a favourite portuguese metal singer? I'll be darn! Well... THAT
justifies trolling, I'm sure 8-)

Violet

Oct 4, 2010, 10:46:43 AM10/4/10
On 4 Okt., 00:36, a...@fsf.net (Adam Thornton) wrote:
> In article <2cab4397-81ab-417f-b82d-fec8745ba...@h7g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,

> Violet  <viole...@writeme.com> wrote:
> >Guys, don't lol about me! The community knows that I'm right. I
> >certainly have 100 oldtimers behind me who will support me in this
> >debate.
>
> *ARE* there 100 oldtimers?  That's probably about 80 more than I coud
>  name.
>
> Adam

We have a lot of fans in this community. Me, Eric and a couple of
others. We were among the winners in every past competition so far.
Conrad is a noname for us. You want to support someone like him?! You
better us. We know how a good competition works. And it always worked
for many years. The old way is still the best way. You either vote or
write a review or both. This survey crap may impress the newbies, but
it does not impress us. Period.

P.S. Conrad does not really care about the community but about his own
interests. There is no doubt about it. He intends to keep people away
from reviewing the IFComp games. It's a trick to make his survey more
popular than all the cool blogs and good reviewers we still have in
this community. I even heard from internal sources that Conrad has a
game running in this year's comp, either under anonymous or under a
pseudonym. He's up to something.

Leandro Ribeiro

Oct 4, 2010, 11:58:10 AM10/4/10

> Hey, how can you know Portuguese metal singers called Violet? I'm
> Portuguese and all I know is Moonspell! Not fair!

I think he was talking about Moonspell's very own Fernando _Ribeiro_ ;)

Roverman

Oct 4, 2010, 12:26:05 PM10/4/10
On 2 Okt., 23:45, Jim Aikin <midigur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/2/2010 2:39 PM, Violet wrote:
> > just for your info: surveymonkey.com is a damn
> > german website which is online since 1999. so if this is such a great
> > idea then why hasn't Conrad proposed it years before? why did he come
> > out with it now?
>
> You're sounding an awful lot like Jacek Pudlo, come to think of it --
> not a shred of logic, just a spewing of random abuse.
>
> --JA

I am inclined to think that this Violet guy sounds more like Daryl
Smith:

http://www.erichufschmid.net/mp3/smith-angry-3-8sep2007.mp3

( Warning! Smith gets very rude in this phone call, so do not play
this audio file in public! )

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Gravel

Oct 4, 2010, 2:30:40 PM10/4/10

I have a feeling the fans support Violet in emails.

I think the survey should be interesting. The idea of filling that
info out for each of 24 games (I betaed one this year) makes my mouth
go dry, but if it's helpful to someone, it's worth doing for me. I've
got my own opinions about how much can be read into the conclusions; I
don't think I'll use it as a writer, but I'd like to see the results
as a fan of the medium.

But it's not like you can't just play the games, or just vote, or just
write reviews, or make your own bar graphs, or dance interpretive
reactions.

Message has been deleted

TheTraveler

Oct 4, 2010, 2:51:48 PM10/4/10
On 10/4/2010 12:37 PM, Violet wrote:

> On 4 Okt., 18:26, Roverman<rover...@contractor.net> wrote:
>> I am inclined to think that this Violet guy sounds more like Daryl
>> Smith:
>>
>> http://www.erichufschmid.net/mp3/smith-angry-3-8sep2007.mp3
>>
>> ( Warning! Smith gets very rude in this phone call, so do not play
>> this audio file in public! )
>
> Don't make fun of Daryl. Eric is with me on this!

Do the caretakers at the institute in which you reside know you have
internet access?

Roverman

Oct 4, 2010, 2:58:05 PM10/4/10
Daryl calls back!!!

PART TWO
http://www.erichufschmid.net/mp3/smith-angry-5-8sep2007.mp3

( Attention! Rude phone call. Do not play audio in public! )

Retro

Oct 4, 2010, 3:28:38 PM10/4/10
On 4 Okt., 18:26, Roverman <rover...@contractor.net> wrote:

> http://www.erichufschmid.net/mp3/smith-angry-3-8sep2007.mp3

ROFL This is some freaky hardcore stuff. I actuallly had to laugh
out loud when listening to it.

Is this a prank phone call or sth?

Roverman

Oct 4, 2010, 3:39:35 PM10/4/10

No, it's serious. It's a phone call between Daryl Bradford Smith and
Eric Hufschmid, based on a real story. :)

Daryl Smith reminded me of this Violet guy going mad on people here.

Rikard Peterson

Oct 4, 2010, 5:15:06 PM10/4/10
In article
<bea32c4f-ce8b-4493...@l20g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
Gravel <kat....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the survey should be interesting. The idea of filling that
> info out for each of 24 games (I betaed one this year) makes my mouth
> go dry, but if it's helpful to someone, it's worth doing for me. I've
> got my own opinions about how much can be read into the conclusions; I
> don't think I'll use it as a writer, but I'd like to see the results
> as a fan of the medium.
>
> But it's not like you can't just play the games, or just vote, or just
> write reviews, or make your own bar graphs, or dance interpretive
> reactions.

Please upload your dances to Youtube or something!

/ Rikard

Peter Pears

Oct 4, 2010, 5:43:19 PM10/4/10

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. My ignorance showed. My bad.

Retro

Oct 5, 2010, 6:53:54 AM10/5/10
On 4 Okt., 21:39, Roverman <rover...@contractor.net> wrote:

> Daryl Smith reminded me of this Violet guy going mad on people here.

Violet guy is crazy. I mean he has already lost his war,
because the IF organizers have already put a link to
Conrad's survey on the ifcomp website. So what he's
gonna do? Hack into the website? Prevent us from
taking the survey if we decide to do it? ;)

Emilian

Conrad

Oct 5, 2010, 8:09:44 AM10/5/10

*NEWS FLASH* A game was left off the list, causing Stephen Grenade to
circle the IF Comp around to pick it up, like Bishop in ALIEN 2.

The survey to that game is here--

Sons of the Cherry, by Alex Livingston
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6G9F3BM

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Roverman

Oct 5, 2010, 8:21:23 AM10/5/10

Exactly. Violet aka Daryl is finished and banned. Nobody supports him
anymore. All voters take Conrad's survey now.

Retro

Oct 5, 2010, 8:44:27 AM10/5/10

Good job, guys. Conrad really knows how to pull things off.
Good luck with the survey! :)

Best regards

E.

Conrad

Oct 5, 2010, 9:07:27 AM10/5/10
On Oct 5, 8:44 am, Retro <retrozyk...@t-online.de> wrote:

> Good job, guys. Conrad really knows how to pull things off.

Well, what's more important is knowing how to proceed once you've
pulled something off.

> Good luck with the survey! :)

We're getting some responses already. It looks good.

C.

Retro

Oct 5, 2010, 10:37:04 AM10/5/10
On 5 Okt., 15:07, Conrad <conradc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, what's more important is knowing how to proceed once you've
> pulled something off.

You've got support from the ifcomp organizers,
so I wouldn't be concerned too much if I was you.

E.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

S. John Ross

Oct 6, 2010, 8:35:36 PM10/6/10
On 10/2/2010 12:54 PM, Conrad wrote:
> One per game.
>
> In essence, this is quality control.

In general, this thread is of no interest to me since I neither write
comp games nor play comp games until they've caught my attention for
some other reason.

But I must say, this line reminded me of that bit from The Search For
Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe, about the concept of quality
control ;)

Jacob Nevins

Oct 8, 2010, 4:19:38 PM10/8/10
Nice questions. One comment: I think you really need a question "Did you
finish the game?". I think it makes quite a difference to the
interpretation of some answers (such as "How possible was it to fail in
this game?"). (I'm sticking to the 2-hour rule for the survey as well as
the real score, although I realise it's probably not mandatory.)

(Assuming that this isn't in fact on a subsequent page -- I haven't got
past the first page yet :)

Conrad

Oct 8, 2010, 4:40:02 PM10/8/10
On Oct 8, 4:19 pm, Jacob Nevins <jac...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Nice questions. One comment: I think you really need a question "Did you
> finish the game?". I think it makes quite a difference to the
> interpretation of some answers (such as "How possible was it to fail in
> this game?"). (I'm sticking to the 2-hour rule for the survey as well as
> the real score, although I realise it's probably not mandatory.)

Ah, good point! I'll look to add that next year.

> (Assuming that this isn't in fact on a subsequent page -- I haven't got
> past the first page yet :)

Actually, there's only one page. Page two is just a thank-you.

C.

Jacob Nevins

Oct 8, 2010, 8:14:22 PM10/8/10

Aha, I was foxed by "Soon we'll ask you to answer just a few questions
about one of the NPCs" near the end of the page. On reflection,
presumably the survey monkey just put the questions in a different order
than expected.