Text Editor Recommendations?

Mark Stevens

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

Hello.

Can anyone recommend a decent DOS and/or Win95 text editor? I've
finally decided to start working on my Inform-based magnificent
octopus (which you're all going to love, naturally). I've played
around with Inform before, but I've always used the bog standard Win95
Notepad, or DOS editor. Nesting statements is a pain in the arse
though, so I want something a bit more capable.

Fire away!

Tony Ellis

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

Personally I use Microsoft Word for Windows. <Gasp!> Heresy! Yes, yes, I
know, evil Microsoft blah blah blah emacs is free blah blah blah...

The fact is, if like me you already have this satanic app, you may as well
use it. Word comes with a ridiculously powerful macro language, and I make
full use of it. I now have an "Inform" button on my Word toolbar which
automatically saves the game I'm editing, compiles it via Inform32, and
launches the resulting Z-Code via WinFrotz so that I can see what I have
wrought - all on one mouseclick.

Works for me!

Mark Stevens <ma...@sonance.demon.co.uk> wrote in article
<34bbdbf3...@news.demon.co.uk>...

Lucian Paul Smith

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

Mark Stevens (ma...@sonance.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: Can anyone recommend a decent DOS and/or Win95 text editor?

I like using PFE, the Programmer's File Editor, 'cause it's freeware, and
it does useful things. Visit:

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/people/cpaap/pfe/

to get a copy.

-Lucian

Sverker Wiberg

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

ma...@sonance.demon.co.uk (Mark Stevens) writes:

> Hello.
>
> Can anyone recommend a decent DOS and/or Win95 text editor? I've
> finally decided to start working on my Inform-based magnificent
> octopus (which you're all going to love, naturally). I've played
> around with Inform before, but I've always used the bog standard Win95
> Notepad, or DOS editor. Nesting statements is a pain in the arse
> though, so I want something a bit more capable.

Emacs is the one true text editor ;-) (please send follow-ups to this
statement to alt.religion.emacs)

But seriously...for more details on Emacs on dos or Win{NT,95} you can
look at
<URL:http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/autocad/lsp_tools/ntemacs-faq.html>.
If you don't like Emacs, have a look at PFE (programmer's file editor)
by Alan Phillips. You can find it at
<URL:http://www.lancs.ac.uk/people/cpaap/pfe/>

/Sverker

--
``Och vet du vad? Han tycker om småkakor också!''
--- Morfars granne angående mosters hund.

Brock Kevin Nambo

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

Mark Stevens wrote in message <34bbdbf3...@news.demon.co.uk>...

>Can anyone recommend a decent DOS and/or Win95 text editor? I've
>finally decided to start working on my Inform-based magnificent
>octopus (which you're all going to love, naturally). I've played
>around with Inform before, but I've always used the bog standard Win95
>Notepad, or DOS editor. Nesting statements is a pain in the arse
>though, so I want something a bit more capable.

SOMEBODY has to put this question in a FAQ somewhere. ;)

Ok, here I go again: My favorite text editor is UltraEdit-32 (available from
http://www.ultraedit.com/) and I'm now a happy registered user.

UE has options to run DOS programs (I can just press F9 to compile
anything!)

...and options to run Windows programs (..and F10 to run it in WinFrotz!)

...there is also "syntax highlighting", which is basically taking different
common words in the language and making them a different color so that you
can see them better. I use the wordfile somebody posted ages ago...
attributes and properties appear in blue, directives (izzat the word?) like
Object, Constant, etc.. appear in red, quoted text in græy, special words
like name, number, special, in orange, and the rest (I think) in ordinary
black. It helps a lot when you have source code to go through to be able to
see this kinda thing more easily.

...it's a commercial program, I forget how much, but it's low enough that
me, who has no money whatever, was able to afford it; you do get about a
month and a half trial time.

...other non-Inform options, like syntax highlighting for C and HTML (and it
also has a button to view the current document in your web browser...
useful); you can change those silly line endings (CR/LF or whatever) that
always get messed up when you move files across operating systems; and,
there are options I don't know anything about.

Anyway, it's a really neat program and I recommend it.

--
http://come.to/brocks.place | World Domination Through Trivia!
oah123 (in chatquiz, 12/27/97): "did you guys know during the SPIN cycle the

Chris Marriott

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

In article <34bbdbf3...@news.demon.co.uk>, Mark Stevens
<ma...@sonance.demon.co.uk> writes

>Can anyone recommend a decent DOS and/or Win95 text editor? I've
>finally decided to start working on my Inform-based magnificent
>octopus (which you're all going to love, naturally). I've played
>around with Inform before, but I've always used the bog standard Win95
>Notepad, or DOS editor. Nesting statements is a pain in the arse
>though, so I want something a bit more capable.

My personal favourite is the editor built into Microsoft's "Dev Studio";
the development environment supplied with most Microsoft programming
languages.

The freeware "PFE" (Programmer's File Editor) is pretty good, and worth
taking a look at.

Chris

Chris Marriott, Microsoft Certified Solution Developer.
SkyMap Software, U.K. e-mail: ch...@skymap.com
Visit our web site at http://www.skymap.com

Darrell Rudmann

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

You might consider Pedit ( http://www.spark.net.hk/~pedit ). It is DOS
freeware and handles long filenames in Win 95. Very easy to use, lots of
configurable options.

Darrell

Erik Max Francis

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

Brock Kevin Nambo wrote:

> SOMEBODY has to put this question in a FAQ somewhere. ;)
>
> Ok, here I go again: My favorite text editor is UltraEdit-32
> (available from
> http://www.ultraedit.com/) and I'm now a happy registered user.

I mostly use emacs, but when I'm working on Windows I use UltraEdit
(also a registered user here) and on Macintosh I use BBEdit.

--
Erik Max Francis, &tSftDotIotE / mailto:m...@alcyone.com
Alcyone Systems / http://www.alcyone.com/max/

Tony Ellis

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

Brock Kevin Nambo <newsm...@earthling.net> wrote :

> ...there is also "syntax highlighting", which is basically taking
different
> common words in the language and making them a different color so that
you
> can see them better. I use the wordfile somebody posted ages ago...

Sounds useful. Could you re-post that wordfile for those of us who missed
it the first time around, please?

Stuart George

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

Tony Ellis (tel...@futurenet.spam.co.uk) wrote:
> Personally I use Microsoft Word for Windows. <Gasp!> Heresy! Yes, yes, I
> know, evil Microsoft blah blah blah emacs is free blah blah blah...
>
> The fact is, if like me you already have this satanic app, you may as well
> use it. Word comes with a ridiculously powerful macro language, and I make
> full use of it. I now have an "Inform" button on my Word toolbar which
> automatically saves the game I'm editing, compiles it via Inform32, and
> launches the resulting Z-Code via WinFrotz so that I can see what I have
> wrought - all on one mouseclick.

i like Semwares "Semware Edit Pro" ala QEdit. elegant. simple
and VERY VERY powerful. ofcouse. thats dos, otherwise there
is a nice VI port that comes with watcom (actuall fora VI clone
its crap but its VI in dos............)

--
-df

Dark Fiber [Entropic Coders]
Keeper of the Sazan Eyes Fanfic Homeroom
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Ginza/7478
Head honcho of the Ed Wood school of FanFiccing

email: ent...@mpx.com.au
http://www.mpx.com.au/~entropy

Michael Baum

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

On 16 Jan 1998 11:43:05 GMT, ent...@mpx.com.au (Stuart George) wrote:

>i like Semwares "Semware Edit Pro" ala QEdit. elegant. simple
>and VERY VERY powerful. ofcouse. thats dos, otherwise there
>is a nice VI port that comes with watcom (actuall fora VI clone
>its crap but its VI in dos............)

I'd add another vote for SemWare Pro, particularly the new 32-bit
version for console mode in WINNT and Windows 95. I've been using one
version or another for programming since it was Q-Edit, about a decade
back, and for flexibility and efficiency it's hard to beat. Great
project-management macro that comes with the standard distribution
that makes it easy to keep track of your place in the several source
files you may need to manage in a big project, atrociously powerful
macro language, nice syntax-highlighting facility that I easily
adapted to INFORM..all-in-all a piece of work. You can scarf an eyelid
of the program and pick up a test version from their web site:
www.semware.com, I believe.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Michael Baum
NIST Public & Business Affairs
<michae...@nist.gov>
(301) 975-2763

macu...@gloria.cord.edu

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

ma...@sonance.demon.co.uk (Mark Stevens) wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a decent DOS and/or Win95 text editor?

I posted the same question a couple of weeks ago, and ended up with my
old editor, BOXER. It is so easy, transparent and configurable that I
can't give it up. Syntax Highlighting in particular (which, if you
haven't noticed, has become all the rage around here of late) is easy to
configure to your taste--I'd even be willing to e-mail the default.cfg
file I use when I write Inform (my current magnum opus is also in
progress, heavy on the magnum). But my favorite part is being able to
configure it to compile within the program, read the compiler output and
go directly to error and warning lines. It makes things a whole lot
easier.

Try it, I promise it won't hurt to get an evaluation copy at:
http://www.boxersoftware.com/users/dhamel

Happy coding,
Mike

Joe Mason

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

In article <uamn2gx...@Zeke.Update.UU.SE>,

Sverker Wiberg <sver...@Zeke.Update.UU.SE> wrote:

>Emacs is the one true text editor ;-) (please send follow-ups to this
>statement to alt.religion.emacs)

That reminds me - for my Inform editing I use the Borland Turbo Pacal 7.0 IDE
with syntax highlighting turned off (only annoyance is that it defaults to
.PAS when listing files). One feature I've gotten used to is the ability to
indent blocks of code using Ctrl-I/Ctrl-U: highlight a block of code and press
Ctrl-I and the entire block moves over one line. Ctrl-U unindents. It's
especially useful when moving code to another procedure which is at a
different indentation level.

Do you know how I can do this with Emacs?

Oh, yeah, and can I highlight/cut/paste with the keyboard in Emacs? Right now
I have to select stuff with the mouse, which annoys me no end because I hate
switching between keyboard and mouse when I'm doing a lot of typing.

Joe

Jeremy A.Smith (not affiliated with Rancid the Elf)

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

Mark Stevens <ma...@sonance.demon.co.uk> wrote in article
<34bbdbf3...@news.demon.co.uk>...
> Hello.
>
> Can anyone recommend a decent DOS and/or Win95 text editor? I've
> finally decided to start working on my Inform-based magnificent
> octopus (which you're all going to love, naturally). I've played
> around with Inform before, but I've always used the bog standard Win95
> Notepad, or DOS editor. Nesting statements is a pain in the arse
> though, so I want something a bit more capable.

Hmm. Haven't you heard of Wordpad? I use this all the time. Loads up 1.7
meg files, no problem. Although 17 meg dissassembly dumps is pushing it.
;-)

It's in c:\program files\accessories

Saves as RTF, Word 6, etc etc. I prefer using it to Word, as it runs
faster.
Really, Notepad is just completely archaic, that's Win3.1 stuff.

> Fire away!

Bang!!
(ahem)
--
Jeremy A.Smith

To reply by Email, change the 'z' in lwtcdz to i

"I will not stop... I will not stop... I will not stop..."
Robert De Niro to Al Pacino in Heat.

What the hell?
Read the hell?
http://www.homeusers.prestel.co.uk/lwtcdi/all/

Jeremy A.Smith (not affiliated with Rancid the Elf)

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

Let's see the scores:

vi 1
bbedit 1
pedit 1
boxer 1
msword 1
ms dev studio 1
qedit 2
emacs 2
ultraedit 2
pfe 3

Well, programmer's file editor wins outright!!

But wait, what's this? I'm casting my votes for qedit AND pfe... the plot
thickens...

Mark J Musante

Jan 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/17/98

Jeremy A.Smith (not affiliated with Rancid the Elf) (jeremy...@lwtcdz.prestel.co.uk) wrote:
> Let's see the scores:
>
> vi 1
> bbedit 1
> pedit 1
> boxer 1
> msword 1
> ms dev studio 1
> qedit 2
> emacs 2
> ultraedit 2
> pfe 3

Actually, I'd be amused to se C.E. Foreman's reviews of these. :-)

-=- Mark -=-

Gunther Schmidl

Jan 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/17/98

>> Can anyone recommend a decent DOS and/or Win95 text editor? I've
>> finally decided to start working on my Inform-based magnificent
>> octopus (which you're all going to love, naturally). I've played
>> around with Inform before, but I've always used the bog standard Win95
>> Notepad, or DOS editor. Nesting statements is a pain in the arse
>> though, so I want something a bit more capable.

I use DOS's EDIT.COM :-)

Well, it *does* indent.
And reads large files.
And is small and fast (must be about the only small and fast product today).
On Win 95 machines, that is.
--

+------------------------+----------------------------------------------+
+ Gunther Schmidl + "I couldn't help it. I can resist everything +

Dylan O'Donnell

Jan 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/17/98

In article <#ahUwKeI9GA.134@upnetnews03>,

Brock Kevin Nambo <newsm...@earthling.net> wrote:
>Mark Stevens wrote in message <34bbdbf3...@news.demon.co.uk>...
>>Can anyone recommend a decent DOS and/or Win95 text editor?
>
>Ok, here I go again: My favorite text editor is UltraEdit-32 (available from
>http://www.ultraedit.com/) and I'm now a happy registered user.

[...]

>...there is also "syntax highlighting", which is basically taking different
>common words in the language and making them a different color so that you
>can see them better. I use the wordfile somebody posted ages ago...
>attributes and properties appear in blue, directives (izzat the word?) like
>Object, Constant, etc.. appear in red, quoted text in grey, special words

>like name, number, special, in orange, and the rest (I think) in ordinary
>black. It helps a lot when you have source code to go through to be able to
>see this kinda thing more easily.

I've been using UltraEdit for a while, and like it; the one drawback is that
the syntax highlighting doesn't handle strings that are split over more
than one line, only colouring the first line of the quoted text
appropriately; this has the knock-on effect of words later in the text
that happen to be Inform keywords being misleadingly highlighted. Of
course, in the case of IF coding where you often need to throw around large
chunks of text, this is decidedly unhelpful...

I've tried demos of a few of the other editors mentioned in this thread,
and each of them that support syntax highlighting seem to suffer from the
same problem. Can anyone recommend an editor that _can_ highlight
multi-line quoted text properly?

(Suggestions to move to an Acorn machine where I can use Graham's
ZapInform editor module unhelpful, unfortunately :-)

--
: Dylan O'Donnell : "What scourge, what scourge I bear, from :
: Southend Slave Deck, : what red star/ So near to happiness, :

Brock Kevin Nambo

Jan 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/17/98

Dylan O'Donnell wrote in message <69r4jd$u27$1...@crucigera.fysh.org>...

>I've been using UltraEdit for a while, and like it; the one drawback is
>that
>the syntax highlighting doesn't handle strings that are split over more
>than one line, only colouring the first line of the quoted text
>appropriately; this has the knock-on effect of words later in the text
>that happen to be Inform keywords being misleadingly highlighted. Of
>course, in the case of IF coding where you often need to throw around
>large
>chunks of text, this is decidedly unhelpful...
>
>I've tried demos of a few of the other editors mentioned in this thread,
>and each of them that support syntax highlighting seem to suffer from the
>same problem. Can anyone recommend an editor that _can_ highlight
>multi-line quoted text properly?

Well, UE supports really long lines... do you really *have* to make it
multiline in the source? (It can be our little secret. Hehehe.)

I'm not so sure that ordinary text editors are smart enough to believe in
multi-line commands in programs. Hmm.. :\

>>BKNambo

Jeff Johnson

Jan 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/17/98

Jeremy A.Smith (not affiliated with Rancid the Elf) wrote in message
<01bd22c8$3bc65860$LocalHost@default>...

>Let's see the scores:
>
>vi 1
>bbedit 1
>pedit 1
>boxer 1
>msword 1
>ms dev studio 1
>qedit 2
>emacs 2
>ultraedit 2
>pfe 3

Cast another vote for PFE. Not only that, but I also use it for HTML, so
that's what "Inform for Beginners" is being written in. Oh geez, stop me
before I plug myself again!

Joe Mason

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

In article <34c05...@alijku02.edvz.uni-linz.ac.at>,

Gunther Schmidl <sot...@xxx.usa.net> wrote:
>I use DOS's EDIT.COM :-)
>
>Well, it *does* indent.
>And reads large files.
>And is small and fast (must be about the only small and fast product today).
>On Win 95 machines, that is.

I would use it too, but it lacks my favourite feature of all time in a text
editor: UNDO.

Joe

Thomas Aaron Insel

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

"Jeremy A.Smith (not affiliated with Rancid the Elf)" <jeremy...@lwtcdz.prestel.co.uk> writes:

> vi 1
> bbedit 1
> pedit 1
> boxer 1
> msword 1
> ms dev studio 1
> qedit 2
> emacs 2
> ultraedit 2
> pfe 3

Oh, heck. In case you're keeping track, I vote for vi and BBEdit,
or EDIT.EXE when I'm using DOS or Windows.

Tom
--
Thomas Insel (tin...@jaka.ece.uiuc.edu)
"Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing."

Nir Levy

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

In rec.arts.int-fiction, jcm...@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca (Joe Mason) saw fit to bestow on us:

For Win95 I would vote for TextPad it's fast and configurable (though no syntax
highlighting) - get it at you local shareware site.

For Dos I'm using EditV which is a very small editor, with not many function, but
looks and behaves better then Edit.com. Where you can find it I don't know, but
a net-search will produce nice results.

BTW, does anyone knows of a good tool to draw maps? I tried to get the tools
from the if archive but the only one I liked was ifmap.tcl which does'nt work
well with wish80.

/NL
--
Nir Levy, The above opinions are my own,
nlevy @ usa.net not my employer's.

Paul David Doherty

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

In article <34c05...@alijku02.edvz.uni-linz.ac.at>,
Gunther Schmidl <sot...@xxx.usa.net> wrote:
>>> Can anyone recommend a decent DOS and/or Win95 text editor? I've
>>> finally decided to start working on my Inform-based magnificent
>>> octopus (which you're all going to love, naturally). I've played
>>> around with Inform before, but I've always used the bog standard Win95
>>> Notepad, or DOS editor. Nesting statements is a pain in the arse
>>> though, so I want something a bit more capable.
>
>I use DOS's EDIT.COM :-)
>
>Well, it *does* indent.
>And reads large files.
>And is small and fast (must be about the only small and fast product today).
>On Win 95 machines, that is.

Here's one vote (and, I'm sure, the only one...) for the editor built
into Norton Commander. It's much faster than EDIT.COM (esp. in search
and replace). No UNDO (which is great fun, esp. if one accidentally
deletes a larger portion of code) and, thankfully, no indent. Use it
and you'll love it.

-- Dave

Brock Kevin Nambo

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

Nir Levy wrote in message <34c41cd4...@news.ibm.net.il>...

>BTW, does anyone knows of a good tool to draw maps? I tried to get the
tools
>from the if archive but the only one I liked was ifmap.tcl which does'nt
work
>well with wish80.

Did you try GUEmap?

Brock Kevin Nambo

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

Paul David Doherty wrote in message <69t60v$g...@joker.rz.hu-berlin.de>...

>Here's one vote (and, I'm sure, the only one...) for the editor built
>into Norton Commander. It's much faster than EDIT.COM (esp. in search
>and replace). No UNDO (which is great fun, esp. if one accidentally
>deletes a larger portion of code) and, thankfully, no indent. Use it
>and you'll love it.

The other day I accidentally replaced all the spaces " " in the Inform
library files with nothing ""... And the editor wasn't able to undo that
kind of action. I yelled and screamed and had to d/l a new copy...

>>BKNambo, ack

L. Ross Raszewski

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

In article <34c05...@alijku02.edvz.uni-linz.ac.at>,
"Gunther Schmidl" <sot...@xxx.usa.net> wrote:

> >> Can anyone recommend a decent DOS and/or Win95 text editor? I've
> >> finally decided to start working on my Inform-based magnificent
> >> octopus (which you're all going to love, naturally). I've played
> >> around with Inform before, but I've always used the bog standard Win95
> >> Notepad, or DOS editor. Nesting statements is a pain in the arse
> >> though, so I want something a bit more capable.
>
> I use DOS's EDIT.COM :-)
>
> Well, it *does* indent.
> And reads large files.
> And is small and fast (must be about the only small and fast product today).
> On Win 95 machines, that is.

Here here!

I've never used anything _but_ edit.com to qwrite inform in, and I write
most of my C in it too (My CS professor was once telling the class how
they might not like the TC IDE, but "in the old days" they had to use
text editors, then compile from a command line, and how much better TC is
over it. My roommate laughed and said that that was what _I_ still do)

Now, as a side note, I've found that DOS 6.2's text editor is actually a
little easier for indentation than the DOS text editor that comes with
windows 95. IT doesn't multitask, though.

Jean Jordaan

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

can't resist .. you really have to have
a glance at VIM (VI iMproved) too. it's
small, free, fast, configurable, supported
by a newsgroup (comp.editors) and some
mailing lists .. has its own homepage:
http://www.vim.org

--
* * *
There is an underscore masquerading as a hyphen in my address.

Gunther Schmidl

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

>BTW, does anyone knows of a good tool to draw maps? I tried to get the
tools
>from the if archive but the only one I liked was ifmap.tcl which does'nt
work
>well with wish80.

GUEMap, available on the IF-Archive (but only for Windows), is a good one.

Russell Mirabelli

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

> I've been using UltraEdit for a while, and like it; the one drawback is that
> the syntax highlighting doesn't handle strings that are split over more
> than one line, only colouring the first line of the quoted text
> appropriately; this has the knock-on effect of words later in the text
> that happen to be Inform keywords being misleadingly highlighted. Of
> course, in the case of IF coding where you often need to throw around large
> chunks of text, this is decidedly unhelpful...

The real problem is that it isn't /syntax/ hiliting, but rather /keyword/
hiliting. Real syntax hiliting is one buggerbeast to implement, whereas
keyword hiliting is relatively simple.

Alpha (a Macintosh shareware text editor), for which I have written an
Inform mode, has the same problem as UE.

Russell

--
Russell Mirabelli russ...@fastlane.net
http://www.fastlane.net/~russellm/

athol-brose

Jan 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/19/98

In article <69r4jd$u27$1...@crucigera.fysh.org>,

Dylan O'Donnell <dyl...@demon.net> wrote:
>I've tried demos of a few of the other editors mentioned in this thread,
>and each of them that support syntax highlighting seem to suffer from the
>same problem. Can anyone recommend an editor that _can_ highlight
>multi-line quoted text properly?

TSE (The Semware Editor, check it out at the amazingly slow
http://www.semware.com) can handle multi-line quoted text properly. TSE's
sole problem with it is this: if the multi-line block of text starts off
the screen (same for /* */ comments), it won't be colored properly because
the coloring is basically performed by a small assembly language routine
called after screen updating.

It also doesn't perform well with CGA, if that's an issue for you.

I seem to remember having a slight work-around for this, defining "; as an
end-token for which you paint in the quoted-text color backwards until a "
or beginning-of-screen... but I can't remember. I'm sure I will soon as I
have to set everything up again after the great hard drive crash of 1997.
(Since I rarely program at home after getting a job programming, I haven't
installed my programming editor yet. Shameful, eh?)

--
r. n. dominick -- cinn...@one.net

John Elliott

Jan 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/19/98

Thomas Aaron Insel (tin...@jaka.ece.uiuc.edu) wrote:

: Oh, heck. In case you're keeping track, I vote for vi and BBEdit,

: or EDIT.EXE when I'm using DOS or Windows.

vi under Linux; VDE under DOS.

Come to think of it, it's odd that I don't use joe much under Linux,
because it's very similar to VDE.

------------- http://www.seasip.demon.co.uk/index.html --------------------
John Elliott |BLOODNOK: "But why have you got such a long face?"
|SEAGOON: "Heavy dentures, Sir!" - The Goon Show
:-------------------------------------------------------------------------)

Roger Burton West

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

newsm...@earthling.net "Brock Kevin Nambo" wrote:

>Ok, here I go again: My favorite text editor is UltraEdit-32 (available from
>http://www.ultraedit.com/) and I'm now a happy registered user.

I've just taken a look at it, and it's now my preferred Windows editor
(I was using PFE) - but for DOS (and most of my heavy-duty source code
editing), I still prefer Aurora. It has fairly basic keyword colouring
and all the usual stuff, and it's generally very pleasant to use...

http://members.aol.com/nutext/

Roger

--
/~~\_/~\ BEWARE ,,, |~) _ _ _ _ |~) __|_ _ _ \ / _ __|_
| #=#======of==# | |~\(_)(_|(/_| |_)|_|| | (_)| | \/\/ (/__\ |

J. Holder

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98

Thus spake Jeremy A.Smith (not affiliated with Rancid the Elf) <jeremy...@lwtcdz.prestel.co.uk>:
: Let's see the scores:

: vi 1

: bbedit 1
: pedit 1
: boxer 1
: msword 1
: ms dev studio 1
: qedit 2
: emacs 2
: ultraedit 2
: pfe 3

I vote for vi and for emacs.
--
John Holder (jho...@frii.com) http://www.frii.com/~jholder/
Sr. Programmer Analyst, J.D.Edwards World Source Company, Denver, CO

Gbggb(hint: try rot-13)

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98

J. Holder wrote:

> Thus spake Jeremy A.Smith (not affiliated with Rancid the Elf) <jeremy...@lwtcdz.prestel.co.uk>:
> : Let's see the scores:
>
> : vi 1
> : bbedit 1
> : pedit 1
> : boxer 1
> : msword 1
> : ms dev studio 1
> : qedit 2
> : emacs 2
> : ultraedit 2
> : pfe 3

My vote's for vi, vi, and only vi.

Totto

Bill Blohm

Jan 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/22/98

: Let's see the scores:

: vi 1
: bbedit 1
: pedit 1
: boxer 1
: msword 1
: ms dev studio 1
: qedit 2
: emacs 2
: ultraedit 2
: pfe 3

vi, of course!

Bill B.

Jean Jordaan

Jan 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/25/98

I gotta put in 2c for Vim 5.0t

It's fast, small, very powerful,
absolutely customizable and
highlights Inform syntax. Also
exists for a very wide range of
platforms.

htttp://www.vim.org

Simon Lamont

Jan 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/25/98

Bit late I expect, but my vote is for PFE, though I don't use it to
launch the compiler; I added a 'compile' option to the .inf filetype
(I'm using W95) instead ;)

--
Simon Lamont -- ot...@gizmo1.demon.co.uk -- AOL IM:JenFanOtto -- Smoo!
Jencyclopaedia: http://www.gizmo1.demon.co.uk/jencyclo/jencmain.htm