36 Plots 2/3

Gerry Kevin Wilson

Jan 25, 1994, 5:25:20 AM1/25/94
Part 2 of 3:

13. Familial Hatred: Here you need two family members that (well duh) hate
each other. That's what familial hatred means, after all. Anyways,
here's another subplot for ya. The trick with this one is that you
have to overlay it onto some exciting story or another. Just plain old
hatred doesn't cut it as a storyline.

14. Familial Rivalry: Preferred kinsman, rejected kinsman, object of their
desire. Shades of _Hollywood Hijinx_ here folks. I'm sure that you
guys can do better with this one. (Although, I did like the atomic
Chihuahua. That was fun, stomping and smashing things.)

15. Murderous Adultery: Exactly why this is in a seperate category from
adultery I may never know. I don't always agree with Polti, but he
did have several great ideas. Anyways, you have two adulterers, and
the betrayed party or parties. This is a classic for murder mysteries
all over the world.

16. Madness: Madman, and a victim. Well then, I don't see why the madman
can't be his own victim, struggling against the slow fall into
insanity. Maybe he's the victim of some exotic poison, working away at
his mind. I still like the split personality murder plot, myself. Or
any other sort of debilitating madness that the player must overcome.
Or how's about this? The player is catatonic, aware only of some
fantasy world inside his own mind that is slowly becoming hostile to
him. Either he has to escape to the real world, or find a way to
truly enter his world before his family pulls the plug on him. I like
madness, it's a good plot.

17. Fatal Imprudence: Sort of like fatal stupidity. The ambassador to the
USSR accidentally leaves a compromising document in a briefcase that
is stolen, or a guard watching the crown jewels falls asleep and well,
you get the idea. For this one, you need an Imprudent person and a
victim or lost object.

18. Involuntary Crimes of Love: I suppose this could be classified as
Not-quite-Murderous Adultery. Or maybe the lovers are forced to kill
someone who stumbles in on their little affair. Use your imagination.

19. Kinsman kills unrecognized kinsman: Whoa, Oedipus Rex. Killer,
unrecognized victim, and a revealer. Another mystery plot or a nice
subplot that adds a poignant touch to any game.

20. Self Sacrifice for an Ideal: Hero, Ideal, thing or person sacrificed.
Just think of the Civil War, thousands of people gave their lives to
free the slaves in the south, even though they weren't really affected
by the slavery. Or the American Revolution's quest for freedom. There
have been innumerable causes throughout history, and many many more that
you could use as the motivation for a heroic sacrifice.

21. Self sacrifice for Kindred: Hero, Kinsman, person or thing sacrificed.
Not neccessarily a blood relation, just someone the sacrificer really
cares for and relates to. It need not be the player that does the
sacrificing, it could be an NPC sacrificing themselves for the player's
benefit, or for the benefit of another NPC.

22. All Sacrifice for Passion: Lover, object of passion, person or object
sacrificed. Reminds me of _Romeo and Juliet_. This is an excellent
plot, but it needs to be garnished with other subplots as well to make
a really good game. Really, all plots need that sort of enhancement.

23. Sacrifice of Loved ones: Hero, beloved victim, and a need for sacrifice.
I'm not really sure what would possess someone to give up someone they
love, but I'm sure you guys will come up with something clever. Oh,
wait, maybe something about a mercy killing, or maybe the loved one is
needed in a greater cause or something.

24. Rivalry between superior and inferior: Superior, inferior, object of
rivalry. Maybe a boss and an employee are both out for the same girl,
or an aristocrat and a commoner both seek the same public office, etc.
It's not too difficult to think of other stories for this plot.
--
< V R I O Software. We bring words to life! | ~~\ >