[Announce] eliza ported to Inform

Ricardo Dague

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
I've uploaded eliza.tgz to ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/incoming.
It's a port to Inform of that old ELIZA program which is a
simulation of a conversation with a psychiatrist. The file
contains the Inform source, the .z5 game file, a sample
transcript, and the BASIC source from which it was ported.

All the program really does is scan each line the user
enters for a key phrase (such as "why can't I" or "you are")
and prints out a suitable response. After many of the
is parroted back with certain words replaced (such as "am"
for "are" and "I" for "you"). I think it's amazing that the
program gives such a realistic and varied simulation of a
real response.

-- Ricardo

LucFrench

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
>I've uploaded eliza.tgz to ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/incoming.
>It's a port to Inform of that old ELIZA program which is a
>simulation of a conversation with a psychiatrist. The file
>contains the Inform source, the .z5 game file, a sample
>transcript, and the BASIC source from which it was ported.

Hey, would you Mind Uploading Just the Z5 file?

Thanks
Luc "Capitolize" French

Rotonoto

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
I used to see how long it took her to flunk the Turing test ... usually
some grammatical blunder ... but it was amazing how long she could go
sometimes.

Mark J Musante

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99

A grammatical blunder causes a failure? Whoa. I guess I'm software,
then.

Thanks for opening my eyes to reality!

-=- Mark -=-

Brian 'Beej' Hall

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
In article <36BDC0D4...@hotmail.com>,

Ricardo Dague <tri...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>transcript, and the BASIC source from which it was ported.

It seems to me that the original Eliza was rather complex compared to
the BASIC version...It's been so long that I don't remember. Does
anyone know what the original was written in and where to get source?

(This isn't meant to belittle your Inform port, which is very cool. For
all I know, I could be totally wrong and the BASIC version _was_ the
original version.)

Cheers,
-Beej

Brent VanFossen

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
On Sun, 07 Feb 1999 20:53:08 GMT, Ricardo Dague <tri...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I've uploaded eliza.tgz to ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/incoming.

Thank you! Somehow, I had never seen this before, although I'd heard
of it many times.

Brent VanFossen

Wildman, the Cuberstalker

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
On 8 Feb 1999 16:24:11 GMT, Brian 'Beej' Hall <be...@ecst.csuchico.edu>
wrote:

LISP. But for some reason, it was very popular to implement it in BASIC.
Possibly because of the string handling.

--
Wildman, the Cuberstalker
Thank you, Microsoft, and please get out of the way.

Trevor Barrie

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
On Mon, 8 Feb 1999 15:12:24 GMT, Mark J Musante <olo...@world.std.com> wrote:
>Rotonoto (rre...@unm.edu) wrote:
>> I used to see how long it took her to flunk the Turing test ... usually
>> some grammatical blunder ... but it was amazing how long she could go
>> sometimes.
>
>A grammatical blunder causes a failure? Whoa. I guess I'm software,
>then.

The grammatical blunders Eliza makes are rather different from those that
humans typically make.

Ricardo Dague

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
I didn't realize it until yesterday, but Dave Allan ported
Eliza to TADS in 1994. It's in
ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/programming/tads/examples/eliza.zip.

There are also two LISP versions of it in that file, and
Dave notes that the original author is Wes Modes.

-- Ricardo
"The only thing new in the world is the history you don't
know." -- Harry Truman