Quotes

Tyler Berry

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

Looking for some good quotes to put in my five games in construction
I am serious, but a little absentminded, so E-mail me rather than
posting answers (or do both)

Thanks!
'I would like to take over the world, but a sandwich would be nice, too.'

- Cyan Sylvain

tbe...@alpha.psd.k12.co.us

Jon

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

Tyler Berry wrote:

> Looking for some good quotes to put in my five games in construction
> I am serious, but a little absentminded, so E-mail me rather than
> posting answers (or do both)
>
> Thanks!
> --(.sig snipped)

Just skip 'em!

Out of curiosity, why does everybody feel the need to put quotes in?
I mean... they're cool and all, especially in Trinity, but after that
it gets a little hackneyed donchathink? Even in Trinity they occasionally
got a little too precious for me. What do you guys think?

Gareth Rees

May 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/17/96

Jon <en...@ucla.edu> wrote:
> Out of curiosity, why does everybody feel the need to put quotes in?
> I mean... they're cool and all, especially in Trinity, but after that
> it gets a little hackneyed donchathink? Even in Trinity they
> occasionally got a little too precious for me. What do you guys
> think?

Trinity doesn't have very many quotes; most of the phrases that appear
in the boxes are puns on "gnomon". It is only "Curses" that really goes
overboard, but that is part of the game's charm.

--
Gareth Rees

David Fletcher

May 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/17/96

Jon (en...@ucla.edu) wrote:

[about quotes]

> Just skip 'em!

> Out of curiosity, why does everybody feel the need to put quotes in?
> I mean... they're cool and all, especially in Trinity, but after that
> it gets a little hackneyed donchathink? Even in Trinity they occasionally
> got a little too precious for me. What do you guys think?

Well, I like them, generally. Of course it may be that I haven't played
enough IF yet to get bored with them.

However, quotes without some vague relevance to the events in the game
would be a bit pointless, so IMHO if the original poster wants sensible
suggestions he'll have to explain the situations he wants them for (which
could be tricky without spoilers).

--

David Fletcher

Phil Goetz

May 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/20/96

I like quotes that are witty/interesting and relevant.

Here's an example of bad use of quotes:
I don't like the quotes at the beginning of each chapter of Middlemarch,
because I have never figured out what the quote at the beginning of a
chapter has to do with the chapter. This may be because, due to the
rambling nature of the work, by the time I figure out what the chapter
is about, I've forgotten what the quote was.

I also despise quotes in foreign languages that are not translated,
which Middlemarch is also guilty of.
("Foreign" means a language other than the one the IF is written in.)

Phil Go...@cs.buffalo.edu

qb...@brisnet.org.au

May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96

Jon wrote:

> Tyler Berry wrote:
> >
> > Looking for some good quotes to put in my five games in construction
> > I am serious, but a little absentminded, so E-mail me rather than
> > posting answers (or do both)
> >
> > Thanks!
> > --(.sig snipped)
>
> Just skip 'em!
>
> Out of curiosity, why does everybody feel the need to put quotes in?
> I mean... they're cool and all, especially in Trinity, but after that
> it gets a little hackneyed donchathink? Even in Trinity they occasionally
> got a little too precious for me. What do you guys think?

I like them, if they are:
* appropriate to the mood of the piece
* relevant to the context at hand
* Not overdone

The latter is the most telling, but a quote is just a worthless bit of
text if you ignore the first two categories. If you ignore the third as
well, then it's an _annoying_ worthless bit of text.

'Flashback' will probably have a few sparse quotes. I'm spending my
effort on the actual narrative, more than anything. We'll see.