Scramble! Ideas up for grabs. (LONG)

Drone

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

I can't help it. "Command Line Interface", which is to be the first
episode of a series called "Mutter & Cry", is going swimmingly. But
after that I have to start episode two (not to mention my non-IF
projects), and I'm getting so immersed in this medium I'm having all of
these great ideas pop into my head that I have no time whatsoever to
pursue.

So, partly to get into the community spirit, and partly just to banish
these nagging thoughts and reestablish my focus, I'm offering up to the
newsgroup the two ideas that nag me the most. Let me know if you would
be interested in playing the following, and especially if you would be
interested in producing them.

(1) "Dungeonville". An IF magazine. Concept: the old Dungeon maze has
been discovered, reclaimed, and refurbished by dimension-hopping IF
enthusiasts. "Columnists" have established hangouts where they sit and
eat chips (or whatever) and chew the fat about the state of IF with
whomever happens by. Instead of writing an article, a contributor would
design (through a submission form) a little IF version of himself or
herself (not necessarily true-to-life), complete with habits, travel
plans, and a large stock of conversational responses regarding the topic
of the "article". Regular columnists could actually submit code
(hopefully Inform so people could read on palmtops like a real portable
magazine -- I love my PSION). Alternatively, information (like reviews,
notices, etc.) could be presented as virtual bulletin boards, crystal
balls, libraries, weird puzzles, telephone booths, covert contacts. I
envision a very eclectic feel, tinged with the nostalgia of the original
maze, and with the overriding "conceit" that all of these IF-enthusiasts
have moved into the original Dungeon maze and set up shop, because they
consider it their home. (Kind of like "The Promised Land" sort of
thing.)
One or two people need to code it up. After the first issue,
coding should be easier, since a lot of code could be reused, with a few
changes for the passage of time. All contributors must also serve as
beta-testers, during which period they will see (for the first time) the
complete work. And they can suggests new reactions and behaviours for
their "columnists" or "column-objects" relative to the other columnists
or to other rooms.
Puzzles would be allowed, I imagine. But it would be annoying
if a difficult puzzle were to keep me from "conversing" with a columnist
or reading an article.
Column ideas: The Game Critic's Corner (several critics
combined in a "Siskel & Ebert" room?), The Bulletin Board (new
releases), The Crystal Ball (future releases), The Work-in-Progress (a
"guest" set of locations previewing somebody's upcoming release), The
Tutorial Rooms (where examining objects lists their source code), The
Short IF Feature (just a few rooms, chosen from submissions, like a
short story in a paper mag). I could go on and on. I sort of am,
actually.
If using the Dungeon/Zork maze would be a copyright problem,
then I imagine "Adventureville" would work just as well. It's more
catchy, actually. Although I like the Dungeon maze better for this
purpose.
If you like this rather detailed concept, you're free to pursue
it, in whole or in part or in your own retooled format. Hell, maybe
there are fifty people out there thinking of something similar. Anyway,
all I ask is that you keep me informed.

(2) "The Annotated Adventure." I would love to take Graham Nelson's port
of the original Adventure, play it once again, but this time send off a
transcript of my play to both Willie Crowther and Don Woods, who would
annotate it with anecdotes, historical facts, musings, opinions, etc.
Then I would take the source code and add to it two NPCs: Willie
Crowther and Don Woods, who would follow you around and comment on what
you're doing (using the annotations). The real Crowther and Woods would
know about this plan, and would hopefully write their annotations as if
they were standing there, in the maze, watching the game happen. Play
the Original Adventure with the creators at your side! I'm dying to do
it. Others I would love to see in this series, copyright issues aside:
"The Annotated Dungeon" (with Marc Blank and Dave Lebling), "The
Annotated Planetfall/Stationfall" (with Meretzky), "The Annotated
Trinity" (with Moriarty), and probably hardest to arrange but definitely
intriguing, "The Annotated Hitchhiker's" (with Meretzky and Adams).

Okay, so I'm throwing these out there in the hopes that, although I
wouldn't be able to put any work toward them for nearly year, maybe I
could see them happen anyway. Again, all I ask is that you let me know
if you want to pick up all or part of one of these ideas and work on it.

Whew. That's a relief. Now back to work on "Command Line Interface".

Drone.
--
"Esse est percipi."
foxg...@globalserve.net

Andrew Plotkin

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

Drone (foxg...@globalserve.net) wrote:
> (2) "The Annotated Adventure." I would love to take Graham Nelson's port
> of the original Adventure, play it once again, but this time send off a
> transcript of my play to both Willie Crowther and Don Woods, who would
> annotate it with anecdotes, historical facts, musings, opinions, etc.
> Then I would take the source code and add to it two NPCs: Willie
> Crowther and Don Woods, who would follow you around and comment on what
> you're doing (using the annotations).

You are a intensely sick and twisted individual. I clasp my hands and bow in
deep respect.

> Okay, so I'm throwing these out there in the hopes that, although I
> wouldn't be able to put any work toward them for nearly year, maybe I
> could see them happen anyway. Again, all I ask is that you let me know
> if you want to pick up all or part of one of these ideas and work on it.

I (obviously) have no time either.

--Z

borogoves..."

Adam J. Thornton

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

Here's an idea I've been having, and if my dissertation continues to go
nowhere, maybe one I will implement:

A short (25-page?) monograph on Stephen Bishop, Bedquilt Cave, and the
humongous and mostly unrecognized influence of caving and caving language
on the fundamental forms and assumptions of the text adventure.

It'll draw heavily on "The Craft of Adventure" and _The Longest Cave_, of
course, and on some cool Kentucky archival documents I found of
19th-century trips into Colossal Cave.

Whether I write it is of course very much in doubt.

Adam
--
"I'd buy me a used car lot, and | ad...@princeton.edu | As B/4 | Save the choad!
I'd never sell any of 'em, just | "Skippy, you little fool, you are off on an-

Adam J. Thornton

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

In article <33075D...@globalserve.net>,

Drone <foxg...@globalserve.net> wrote:
>(2) "The Annotated Adventure." I would love to take Graham Nelson's port
>of the original Adventure, play it once again, but this time send off a
>transcript of my play to both Willie Crowther and Don Woods, who would
>annotate it with anecdotes, historical facts, musings, opinions, etc.
>Then I would take the source code and add to it two NPCs: Willie
>Crowther and Don Woods, who would follow you around and comment on what
>you're doing (using the annotations). The real Crowther and Woods would
>know about this plan, and would hopefully write their annotations as if
>they were standing there, in the maze, watching the game happen. Play
>the Original Adventure with the creators at your side! I'm dying to do
>it. Others I would love to see in this series, copyright issues aside:
>"The Annotated Dungeon" (with Marc Blank and Dave Lebling), "The
>Annotated Planetfall/Stationfall" (with Meretzky), "The Annotated
>Trinity" (with Moriarty), and probably hardest to arrange but definitely
>intriguing, "The Annotated Hitchhiker's" (with Meretzky and Adams).

The Crowther and Woods would be especially endearing since the parts that
are cave simulation are mostly Crowther and the parts that are mostly Woods
are the Tolkeinesque/fantastic elements. For instance, in the Dome Room
you can have Crowther happily scrambling around the walls checking for
missed exits while Don Woods tries unsuccessfully to get the muck off his
pants. On the other hand, at the Grand Vista, you can have Woods beaming
happily and pointing out his magnificent writing as Will Crowther says
"Right. A *live volcano* in a limestone cave. Sure, Don. *Where*,
exactly, did you learn your geology?" Likewise with the dwarf: Woods
shouts something in Dwarvish and throws the knife back, while Crowther just
looks disgusted. This would be a scream if done well.

Matthew T. Russotto

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

In article <5e9vk5$2...@cnn.Princeton.EDU>,

Adam J. Thornton <ad...@yuma.Princeton.EDU> wrote:

}The Crowther and Woods would be especially endearing since the parts that
}are cave simulation are mostly Crowther and the parts that are mostly Woods
}are the Tolkeinesque/fantastic elements. For instance, in the Dome Room
}you can have Crowther happily scrambling around the walls checking for
}missed exits while Don Woods tries unsuccessfully to get the muck off his
}pants. On the other hand, at the Grand Vista, you can have Woods beaming
}happily and pointing out his magnificent writing as Will Crowther says
}"Right. A *live volcano* in a limestone cave. Sure, Don. *Where*,
}exactly, did you learn your geology?" Likewise with the dwarf: Woods
}shouts something in Dwarvish and throws the knife back, while Crowther just
}looks disgusted. This would be a scream if done well.

Taking such liberties with real people who aren't safely dead might
not be such a good idea.
--
Matthew T. Russotto russ...@pond.com
of justice is no virtue."

Andrew Plotkin

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

Matthew T. Russotto (russ...@wanda.vf.pond.com) wrote:
> In article <5e9vk5$2...@cnn.Princeton.EDU>,
> Adam J. Thornton <ad...@yuma.Princeton.EDU> wrote:

> }The Crowther and Woods would be especially endearing since the parts that
> }are cave simulation are mostly Crowther and the parts that are mostly Woods
> }are the Tolkeinesque/fantastic elements. For instance, in the Dome Room
> }you can have Crowther happily scrambling around the walls checking for
> }missed exits while Don Woods tries unsuccessfully to get the muck off his
> }pants. On the other hand, at the Grand Vista, you can have Woods beaming
> }happily and pointing out his magnificent writing as Will Crowther says
> }"Right. A *live volcano* in a limestone cave. Sure, Don. *Where*,
> }exactly, did you learn your geology?" Likewise with the dwarf: Woods
> }shouts something in Dwarvish and throws the knife back, while Crowther just
> }looks disgusted. This would be a scream if done well.

> Taking such liberties with real people who aren't safely dead might
> not be such a good idea.

The original suggestion was to start with a *detailed* interview with
C&W. And presumably continue to get their input as the game was developed.

Clyde Sloniker

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

Matthew T. Russotto <russ...@wanda.vf.pond.com> wrote:

>Taking such liberties with real people who aren't safely dead might
>not be such a good idea.

I think the original author wanted to actually contact Crowther and Woods
and ask them to work out the dialogue. I could be wrong. (:3

glee...@aol.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

foxg...@globalserve.net wrote:
> (1) "Dungeonville". An IF magazine. Concept:
> [...]

> One or two people need to code it up.

I'd love to do that. I work with TADS, but I could probably learn Inform
and create a version for both. Don't get your hopes up, though.

> [...]

> then I imagine "Adventureville" would work just as well. It's more
> catchy, actually. Although I like the Dungeon maze better for this
> purpose.

I like "Adventureville". Tacky, yet catchy, like you say.

> If you like this rather detailed concept,

And I do!

> you're free to pursue
> it, in whole or in part or in your own retooled format. Hell, maybe
> there are fifty people out there thinking of something similar. Anyway,
> all I ask is that you keep me informed.

And I will.

> Drone.
> --
> "Esse est percipi."
> foxg...@globalserve.net

And me,
glee...@aol.com (Shay Caron)

Graham Nelson

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

In article <5e9vk5$2...@cnn.Princeton.EDU>, Adam J. Thornton
<URL:mailto:ad...@yuma.Princeton.EDU> wrote:
[Speculation on introducing Crowther and Woods as NPCs in their
own game.]

> The Crowther and Woods would be especially endearing since the parts that
> are cave simulation are mostly Crowther and the parts that are mostly Woods
> are the Tolkeinesque/fantastic elements. For instance, in the Dome Room
> you can have Crowther happily scrambling around the walls checking for
> missed exits while Don Woods tries unsuccessfully to get the muck off his
> pants. On the other hand, at the Grand Vista, you can have Woods beaming
> happily and pointing out his magnificent writing as Will Crowther says
> "Right. A *live volcano* in a limestone cave. Sure, Don. *Where*,
> exactly, did you learn your geology?" Likewise with the dwarf: Woods
> shouts something in Dwarvish and throws the knife back, while Crowther just
> looks disgusted. This would be a scream if done well.

All true enough, but Crowther's original wasn't totally geology --
the snake and bird puzzle was Crowther's, I think, and there
were "about five treasures", mostly just tokens to reward exploring
in depth.

Oddly, I think the literary merit of Advent is mainly caused by
the tension between Crowther's text and Woods's. A game written
by either alone would not have the same appeal, just as the
weakest sections of Advent are those predominantly by one author
(e.g. across the chasm, by Woods, or some of the messy geography,
by Crowther). That said -- Crowther was the more original author.

--
Graham Nelson | gra...@gnelson.demon.co.uk | Oxford, United Kingdom

Drone

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Andrew Plotkin wrote:

> Drone (foxg...@globalserve.net) wrote:
> > (2) "The Annotated Adventure." I would love to take Graham Nelson's port
> > of the original Adventure, play it once again, but this time send off a
> > transcript of my play to both Willie Crowther and Don Woods, who would
> > annotate it with anecdotes, historical facts, musings, opinions, etc.
> > Then I would take the source code and add to it two NPCs: Willie
> > Crowther and Don Woods, who would follow you around and comment on what
> > you're doing (using the annotations).
>
> You are a intensely sick and twisted individual. I clasp my hands and bow in
> deep respect.

Yeah, but would you do it as a "Guest Annotator" to "So Far"? <g>

> > Okay, so I'm throwing these out there in the hopes that, although I
> > wouldn't be able to put any work toward them for nearly year, maybe I
> > could see them happen anyway. Again, all I ask is that you let me know
> > if you want to pick up all or part of one of these ideas and work on it.
>

> I (obviously) have no time either.

Ugh. Come on, come on, who wants to grab one? Is everybody who's interested
just totally and completely busy with their own stuff? (duh. stoopid question.
sigh.)

Drone

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Adam J. Thornton wrote:

> Here's an idea I've been having, and if my dissertation continues to go
> nowhere, maybe one I will implement:
>
> A short (25-page?) monograph on Stephen Bishop, Bedquilt Cave, and the
> humongous and mostly unrecognized influence of caving and caving language
> on the fundamental forms and assumptions of the text adventure.
>
> It'll draw heavily on "The Craft of Adventure" and _The Longest Cave_, of
> course, and on some cool Kentucky archival documents I found of
> 19th-century trips into Colossal Cave.
>
> Whether I write it is of course very much in doubt.

I guess everybody has their own pet projects on the afterburner. Yours sounds
interesting too. I reckon nobody'll wanna take the orphans in. <sniff> I can't keep
them. How will I feed and clothe them?

Drone

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Adam J. Thornton wrote:

> In article <33075D...@globalserve.net>,
> Drone <foxg...@globalserve.net> wrote:
> >(2) "The Annotated Adventure." I would love to take Graham Nelson's port
> >of the original Adventure, play it once again, but this time send off a
> >transcript of my play to both Willie Crowther and Don Woods, who would
> >annotate it with anecdotes, historical facts, musings, opinions, etc.
> >Then I would take the source code and add to it two NPCs: Willie
> >Crowther and Don Woods, who would follow you around and comment on what
> >you're doing (using the annotations). The real Crowther and Woods would
> >know about this plan, and would hopefully write their annotations as if
> >they were standing there, in the maze, watching the game happen. Play
> >the Original Adventure with the creators at your side! I'm dying to do
> >it. Others I would love to see in this series, copyright issues aside:
> >"The Annotated Dungeon" (with Marc Blank and Dave Lebling), "The
> >Annotated Planetfall/Stationfall" (with Meretzky), "The Annotated
> >Trinity" (with Moriarty), and probably hardest to arrange but definitely
> >intriguing, "The Annotated Hitchhiker's" (with Meretzky and Adams).
>
> The Crowther and Woods would be especially endearing since the parts that
> are cave simulation are mostly Crowther and the parts that are mostly Woods
> are the Tolkeinesque/fantastic elements. For instance, in the Dome Room
> you can have Crowther happily scrambling around the walls checking for
> missed exits while Don Woods tries unsuccessfully to get the muck off his
> pants. On the other hand, at the Grand Vista, you can have Woods beaming
> happily and pointing out his magnificent writing as Will Crowther says
> "Right. A *live volcano* in a limestone cave. Sure, Don. *Where*,
> exactly, did you learn your geology?" Likewise with the dwarf: Woods
> shouts something in Dwarvish and throws the knife back, while Crowther just
> looks disgusted. This would be a scream if done well.

ROFL! This are *great*! Why not add a few of the later additions as well, just to
be able to sneak them into the transcript and see how the real Crowther and Woods
would react to them being there? It is interesting to favour the games with two
creators. Hopefully the "play & interview" process between the "Annotated" author
and the original authors could reveal some of how the two interact creatively, and
how they feel about their creations and what happened to them. And where their
backgrounds are different, that of course is a great opportunity for
characterisation (which is why Meretzky & Adams rang little bells in my head).

Matthew Amster-Burton

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Drone <foxg...@globalserve.net> wrote:

>(2) "The Annotated Adventure." I would love to take Graham Nelson's port
>of the original Adventure, play it once again, but this time send off a
>transcript of my play to both Willie Crowther and Don Woods, who would
>annotate it with anecdotes, historical facts, musings, opinions, etc.
>Then I would take the source code and add to it two NPCs: Willie
>Crowther and Don Woods, who would follow you around and comment on what
>you're doing (using the annotations). The real Crowther and Woods would
>know about this plan, and would hopefully write their annotations as if
>they were standing there, in the maze, watching the game happen.

God, I'm trying so hard not to like this idea, but its brilliance
cannot be contained. I would play this twelve times.

Matthew

Olav Mueller

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

REF: foxg...@globalserve.net (Drone) (16.02.1997, 14:16:29)
- Subject "Scramble! Ideas up for grabs. (LONG)"

Hallo Drone,

> (1) "Dungeonville". ...
> (2) "The Annotated Adventure." ...

Great! I love these ideas. I would give my left arm^H^H^H
ALT-Key to see these things done.

CU,
Olav

omue...@tribal.line.org omue...@sunserver1.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de
Fileserver: SEND HELP im Subject an omue...@tribal.line.org

Disclaimer - These opiini^H^H damn! ^H^H ^Q ^[ .... :w :q :wq
:wq! ^d X exit X Q ^C ^? :quitbye CtrlAltDel ~~q :~q logout
save/quit :!QUIT ^[zz ^[ZZZZZZ ^H man vi ^@ ^L ^[c ^# ^E ^X ^I ^T
? help helpquit ^D mhelp ^C ^c help exit ?Quit ?q CtrlShftDel
"Hey, what does this button d

Adam J. Thornton

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

In article <5eadgd$s...@wanda.vf.pond.com>,

Matthew T. Russotto <russ...@wanda.vf.pond.com> wrote:
>In article <5e9vk5$2...@cnn.Princeton.EDU>,

>Adam J. Thornton <ad...@yuma.Princeton.EDU> wrote:
>}The Crowther and Woods would be especially endearing since the parts that
>}are cave simulation are mostly Crowther and the parts that are mostly Woods
>}are the Tolkeinesque/fantastic elements. For instance, in the Dome Room
>}you can have Crowther happily scrambling around the walls checking for
>}missed exits while Don Woods tries unsuccessfully to get the muck off his
>}pants. On the other hand, at the Grand Vista, you can have Woods beaming
>}happily and pointing out his magnificent writing as Will Crowther says
>}"Right. A *live volcano* in a limestone cave. Sure, Don. *Where*,
>}exactly, did you learn your geology?" Likewise with the dwarf: Woods
>}shouts something in Dwarvish and throws the knife back, while Crowther just
>}looks disgusted. This would be a scream if done well.
>Taking such liberties with real people who aren't safely dead might
>not be such a good idea.

Well, this was predicated on the assumption that the author would get their
the role of the hardcore caver and Woods the fantasist. Somehow, I suspect
that, were they to agree to the project at all, they'd also find this idea
somewhat amusing.

Only one way to find out, of course.

Admiral Jota

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Drone <foxg...@globalserve.net> writes:
>Andrew Plotkin wrote:
>> Drone (foxg...@globalserve.net) wrote:

>> > (2) "The Annotated Adventure." I would love to take Graham Nelson's port

>> > of the original Adventure, [....] add to it two NPCs: Willie

>> > Crowther and Don Woods, who would follow you around and comment on what
>> > you're doing (using the annotations).

>> You are a intensely sick and twisted individual. I clasp my hands and bow in
>> deep respect.

>Yeah, but would you do it as a "Guest Annotator" to "So Far"? <g>

Why do I somehow doubt that he'd be willing to do this? (Although I bet
he'd be willing to play "Guest Annotator" to Lists:

>ASK ZARF ABOUT GAME

Andrew looks at you with a touch of pity in his eyes. "It's not a game.
It's just a joke. Stop wasting your time here!"
He sighs, and walks away muttering something about r.a.i-f'ers who have no
sense of humor.

BTW, I would *love* to see the Annotated Adventure! This is definitely a
very, *very* good idea.
--
/<-= Admiral Jota =->\
-< <-= jo...@tiac.net =-> >-

Andrew Plotkin

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Admiral Jota (jo...@laraby.tiac.net) wrote:
> >Yeah, but would you do it as a "Guest Annotator" to "So Far"? <g>

> Why do I somehow doubt that he'd be willing to do this?

ASK ZARF ABOUT GAME
"Life doesn't work that way."

> (Although I bet
> he'd be willing to play "Guest Annotator" to Lists:

> ASK ZARF ABOUT GAME

"What? You haven't found the diary, the six crystals, or even the broken
photograph frame! I'm not going to any effort until *you* do."

they got purple; purple's a fruit

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

And behold, Drone <foxg...@globalserve.net> did spake, speaking:

> (1) "Dungeonville". An IF magazine. Concept: the old Dungeon maze has
> been discovered, reclaimed, and refurbished by dimension-hopping IF
> enthusiasts. "Columnists" have established hangouts where they sit and
> eat chips (or whatever) and chew the fat about the state of IF with
> whomever happens by. Instead of writing an article, a contributor would
> design (through a submission form) a little IF version of himself or
> herself (not necessarily true-to-life), complete with habits, travel
> plans, and a large stock of conversational responses regarding the topic
> of the "article". Regular columnists could actually submit code
> (hopefully Inform so people could read on palmtops like a real portable
> magazine -- I love my PSION). Alternatively, information (like reviews,
> notices, etc.) could be presented as virtual bulletin boards, crystal
> balls, libraries, weird puzzles, telephone booths,

I call dibs on the phone booth, durnit.

> covert contacts. I
> envision a very eclectic feel, tinged with the nostalgia of the original
> maze, and with the overriding "conceit" that all of these IF-enthusiasts
> have moved into the original Dungeon maze and set up shop, because they
> consider it their home. (Kind of like "The Promised Land" sort of
> thing.)
> One or two people need to code it up. After the first issue,
> coding should be easier, since a lot of code could be reused, with a few
> changes for the passage of time. All contributors must also serve as
> beta-testers, during which period they will see (for the first time) the
> complete work. And they can suggests new reactions and behaviours for
> their "columnists" or "column-objects" relative to the other columnists
> or to other rooms.
> Puzzles would be allowed, I imagine. But it would be annoying
> if a difficult puzzle were to keep me from "conversing" with a columnist
> or reading an article.
> Column ideas: The Game Critic's Corner (several critics
> combined in a "Siskel & Ebert" room?), The Bulletin Board (new
> releases), The Crystal Ball (future releases), The Work-in-Progress (a
> "guest" set of locations previewing somebody's upcoming release), The
> Tutorial Rooms (where examining objects lists their source code), The
> Short IF Feature (just a few rooms, chosen from submissions, like a
> short story in a paper mag). I could go on and on. I sort of am,
> actually.

This almost sounds like a MU* implementation, too, and would work just as
well like that. Dammit, I don't know exactly why I am advocating MU*s all
of a sudden tonight after my frantic attempts to rid myself of them over the
past few years.

> If using the Dungeon/Zork maze would be a copyright problem,
> then I imagine "Adventureville" would work just as well. It's more
> catchy, actually. Although I like the Dungeon maze better for this
> purpose.

I think "Adventureville" is a nifty name. Quite a hoot.

> (2) "The Annotated Adventure." I would love to take Graham Nelson's port
> of the original Adventure, play it once again, but this time send off a
> transcript of my play to both Willie Crowther and Don Woods, who would
> annotate it with anecdotes, historical facts, musings, opinions, etc.
> Then I would take the source code and add to it two NPCs: Willie
> Crowther and Don Woods, who would follow you around and comment on what
> you're doing (using the annotations). The real Crowther and Woods would
> know about this plan, and would hopefully write their annotations as if
> they were standing there, in the maze, watching the game happen. Play
> the Original Adventure with the creators at your side! I'm dying to do
> it.

You, sir, are a genius.

--
spa...@error.net, chief engineer (toot toot!) Spatula Labs, error.net/~spatula

"Pez is cheap; smiles are priceless." - C. L. McCoy
mstie#43790

Rybread Celsius

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

>Ugh. Come on, come on, who wants to grab one? Is everybody who's interested
>just totally and completely busy with their own stuff? (duh. stoopid question.
>sigh.)

Well, for the Adventureville one, that sounds like a definate group project
idea. First everyone chooses the language, so that would elimante some people,
and then divy up what needs to be divvied up... of couse you could try to port
over an issue Xyzzy to start... I really like the idea of coding myself
though...

>ask rybread about spelling
Rybread gives you a quisicle look, "Waht's rong wiht my spelilng?"

peopel could also showcase their favorie rooms from games and ANNOTE those.

peace___anarchyfreedompunkinteractivefictionslackantiinfinityyellowoi!2o3.
/ -\--- Rotund \/ ! "Live long & | ryb...@connix.com
(/ ) Pigeon \00_| fuck off!!" |Its always after MidNite
\o-o/ _||_ Riot Nrrrd | www.connix.com/~rybread

Drone

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Clyde Sloniker wrote:

> Matthew T. Russotto <russ...@wanda.vf.pond.com> wrote:
>
> >Taking such liberties with real people who aren't safely dead might
> >not be such a good idea.
>
> I think the original author wanted to actually contact Crowther and Woods
> and ask them to work out the dialogue. I could be wrong. (:3

No, that's right. Or at least, write an interaction based on a sense of who
they are in the interviews and then submit respectfully for their review.

Drone

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Matthew T. Russotto wrote:

> In article <5e9vk5$2...@cnn.Princeton.EDU>,
> Adam J. Thornton <ad...@yuma.Princeton.EDU> wrote:
>
> }exactly, did you learn your geology?" Likewise with the dwarf: Woods
> }shouts something in Dwarvish and throws the knife back, while Crowther just
> }looks disgusted. This would be a scream if done well.
>
> Taking such liberties with real people who aren't safely dead might
> not be such a good idea.

It would have to be done with their collaboration, which is required by project
anyway.

Drone

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Matthew Amster-Burton wrote, regarding "The Annotated Adventure":

> I would play this twelve times.

Wow. When I explained the concept to my best friend, who introduced me to
Adventure eons ago on his father's home terminal, he just sort of shrugged his
shoulders, and that's pretty much what I was expecting here. I'm sort of taken
aback. But then, he also sort of shrugs his shoulders whenever I mention
r.a.i-f.

Drone

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Olav Mueller wrote:

> > (1) "Dungeonville". ...
> > (2) "The Annotated Adventure." ...
>
> Great! I love these ideas. I would give my left arm^H^H^H
> ALT-Key to see these things done.

Wow. And here I don't even *have* an ALT-key.

Drone

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

they got purple; purple's a fruit wrote:

> And behold, Drone <foxg...@globalserve.net> did spake, speaking:
> >
> > magazine -- I love my PSION). Alternatively, information (like reviews,
> > notices, etc.) could be presented as virtual bulletin boards, crystal
> > balls, libraries, weird puzzles, telephone booths,
>
> I call dibs on the phone booth, durnit.

Go ahead. Pick it up.

Drone.

> [ flattery snipped but appreciated ]

Admiral Jota

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

Drone <foxg...@globalserve.net> writes:
>Olav Mueller wrote:

>> > (1) "Dungeonville". ...
>> > (2) "The Annotated Adventure." ...

>> Great! I love these ideas. I would give my left arm^H^H^H
>> ALT-Key to see these things done.

>Wow. And here I don't even *have* an ALT-key.

I would say that this would be a pretty fair arrangement then, wouldn't
you?

Matthew Amster-Burton

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

Drone <foxg...@globalserve.net> wrote:

>Wow. When I explained the concept to my best friend, who introduced me to
>Adventure eons ago on his father's home terminal, he just sort of shrugged his
>shoulders, and that's pretty much what I was expecting here. I'm sort of taken
>aback. But then, he also sort of shrugs his shoulders whenever I mention
>r.a.i-f.

Hey, man, I used to play Adventure and Dungeon on a PDP-11, and I
think it's a great idea. I doubt it'll actually happen, but it's
still cool.

Matthew

Branko Collin

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

Drone (foxg...@globalserve.net) wrote:

: Clyde Sloniker wrote:
: >
: > Matthew T. Russotto <russ...@wanda.vf.pond.com> wrote:
: >
: > >Taking such liberties with real people who aren't safely dead might

: > >not be such a good idea.
: >
: > I think the original author wanted to actually contact Crowther and Woods

: > and ask them to work out the dialogue. I could be wrong. (:3

: No, that's right. Or at least, write an interaction based on a sense of who
: they are in the interviews and then submit respectfully for their review.

I think such an interview would be valuable on its own, so it could be
carried even if on one can be found who has time and the skills to
program the annotated game.

Anyone know where Crowther and Woods can be found?

-----
Branko Collin http://www.xs4all.nl/~collin
col...@xs4all.nl http://www.kun.nl/undans/members/branko.htm
"Erm... Erm... should I say something interesting now?"
- Branko Collin -

Admiral Jota

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

col...@xs2.xs4all.nl (Branko Collin) writes:

>Anyone know where Crowther and Woods can be found?

Well, this may or may not be helpful, but I did a People Search over on
Yahoo, and got the following results:

Crowther:

Name and Internet Domain Bill Crowther msn.com
Bill Crowther aol.com
Billy Crowther aol.com
C William Crowther prodigy.com

Woods:

Name and Internet Domain Don Woods aol.com
Don Woods tsc.com
Don Woods hotmail.com
Don Woods ix.netcom.com
Don Woods aol.com
Don Woods nbnet.nb.ca
Don Woods ix.netcom.com
Don Woods juno.com
Don Woods altum.altum.com
Don Woods aol.com
Don Woods cadvision.com
Don Woods GENMAGIC.COM
Don Woods NETCOM.COM
Don J Woods prodigy.com
Don Lee Woods uwyo.edu
Don Tyrone Woods aol.com
Donald Woods mci.newscorp.com
Donald Woods aol.com
Donald Woods prodigy.com
Donald Woods beta.delphi.com
Donald Woods hotmail.com
Donald Woods aol.com
donald woods ix.netcom.com
Donald A Woods Compuserve.Com
Donald A. Woods gte.net
Donald B Woods ksly.iii.net
Donald D Woods Compuserve.com
Donald E Woods Compuserve.Com
Donald E Woods Compuserve.Com
donald e woods bgnet.bgsu.edu
DONALD F WOODS iastate.edu
Donald G Woods prodigy.com
Donald Greg Woods ix.netcom.com
Donald H Woods prodigy.com
Donald J Woods Compuserve.Com
Donald J Woods pacbell.net
Donald J Woods prodigy.com
Donald Jeffrey Woods cornell.edu
Donald John Woods iu.net
Donald L Woods prostar.com
Donald L Woods Compuserve.Com
Donald M Woods prodigy.com
Donald P Woods Compuserve.com
Donald R Woods prodigy.com
Donald R Woods Compuserve.Com
Donald R Woods Compuserve.Com
Donald R Woods Compuserve.Com
Donald T Woods Compuserve.Com
Donald W Woods Compuserve.Com
Don Woodson whytel.com
Donald Woodson msn.com
Donald L Woodson Compuserve.Com
Donald W. Woodson prysm.net
Don L Woodstock ix.netcom.com

So who wants to check these out?

Admiral Jota

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

jo...@laraby.tiac.net (Admiral Jota) writes:
>col...@xs2.xs4all.nl (Branko Collin) writes:

>>Anyone know where Crowther and Woods can be found?

>Well, this may or may not be helpful, but I did a People Search over on
>Yahoo, and got the following results:

[....]

>So who wants to check these out?

OK, I looked into these myself, and I think I've found two Email adresses
for the *real* Don Woods: d...@clari.net and d...@madrigal.altum.com (I'm
more certain about the first than the latter). Unfortunately, I have no
clue what Crowther's could be -- does anyone have a Kentucky phone book?
:)

Drone

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

Rybread Celsius wrote:

> Well, for the Adventureville one, that sounds like a definate group project
> idea. First everyone chooses the language, so that would elimante some people,
> and then divy up what needs to be divvied up... of couse you could try to port
> over an issue Xyzzy to start... I really like the idea of coding myself
> though...

It sounds interesting as a group project. I agree in spirit with offering up the
choice of lanuguages to the group, but I think it might get ugly. Perhaps its
fair that the primary coders choose the language. I don't care which. If Inform,
I could toss off a column in code, and if TADs or other I would submit by filling
out the form, at least at first. I like the idea of being able to carry the
magazine around on my PSION, but I wouldn't wage a holy war over it.

But to the real point: you're interested in coding it! Chalk one up! Made my day.
Maybe everyone who is interested in taking a piece of the coding could reply and
add their names to the list, and everyone who is interested in the editorial end
could also step forward. Or everyone else step back. Parceling out Bedquilt real
estate month by month will take some tough decision making. ("Hey! *I* wanted
Witt's End!")

From the list, two "teams" could be formed. The coders could discuss the
language. And the editors could discuss content. I see no reason you can't serve
on both lists if you have the time.

Under this model, I believe I could afford the time to submit a column, and serve
among a group of editors. But as of right now, I will at least commit the time
required to maintain this list...

Editoral Team Coding Team
------------- -----------
Drone Rybread Celsius

Please reply and add your name if you're interested. Or e-mailing me is fine. If
you think the list should be set up differently, let me know that too.

Torbj|rn Andersson

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

erky...@netcom.com (Andrew Plotkin) wrote:

> Admiral Jota (jo...@laraby.tiac.net) wrote:
> > >Yeah, but would you do it as a "Guest Annotator" to "So Far"? <g>
>
> > Why do I somehow doubt that he'd be willing to do this?
>
> ASK ZARF ABOUT GAME
> "Life doesn't work that way."

The first thing I'd try would probably be "ASK ZARF FOR SPEECH", but
I wouldn't expect it to work on the first, second or even the third
attempt.

_
Torbjorn

foxg...@globalserve.net

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

In article <8562249...@dejanews.com>,
> foxg...@globalserve.net wrote:
> > (1) "Dungeonville". An IF magazine. Concept:
> > [...]

> > One or two people need to code it up.
>
> I'd love to do that. I work with TADS, but I could probably learn Inform
> and create a version for both. Don't get your hopes up, though.
>
> I like "Adventureville". Tacky, yet catchy, like you say.
> > If you like this rather detailed concept,
> And I do!
> > you're free to pursue
> > it, in whole or in part or in your own retooled format. Hell, maybe
> > there are fifty people out there thinking of something similar. Anyway,
> > all I ask is that you keep me informed.
> And I will.

I never got this post on my news server -- I only saw it because
I checked DejaNews when my server was down for a bit. But anyway,
by the time I read this I had already started a two-part
"sign-up" list, "Editorial Team" and "Coding Team". You might
want to sign up. The idea is to pursue Rybread's suggestion of
making this one a group project. If you were all geared up to
pursue on your own, by all means do. Without enough sign-ups, the
"group" thing will probably disintegrate.

Drone.

Drone

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

Drone wrote:

> Rybread Celsius wrote:
> >
> > Well, for the Adventureville one, that sounds like a definate group project
> > idea. First everyone chooses the language, so that would elimante some people,
> > and then divy up what needs to be divvied up... of couse you could try to port
> > over an issue Xyzzy to start... I really like the idea of coding myself
> > though...
> >

> you're interested in coding it! Chalk one up!

It occurred to me later that you might have just meant that you like the idea of
coding your own article yourself, rather than the whole magazine "layout". If so,
sorry for signing you up willy-nilly.

Again with the list...

Editorial Team Coding Team
-------------- -----------
Drone Rybread Celsius ?
(more needed) (more needed)

Drone

Feb 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/22/97

Admiral Jota wrote:

> Drone <foxg...@globalserve.net> writes:

> >> Great! I love these ideas. I would give my left arm^H^H^H
> >> ALT-Key to see these things done.
>
> >Wow. And here I don't even *have* an ALT-key.
>
> I would say that this would be a pretty fair arrangement then, wouldn't
> you?

No. In order to make a proposition like this palatable, I would need ...
Function keys. In small unmarked increments. One through ten ... No, make that
one through *twelve*. Left in an unmarked briefcase on the corner of Bloor &
Bathurst...

Drone.

Admiral Jota

Feb 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/22/97

Drone <foxg...@globalserve.net> writes:
>Admiral Jota wrote:

>> I would say that this would be a pretty fair arrangement then, wouldn't
>> you?

>No. In order to make a proposition like this palatable, I would need ...
>Function keys. In small unmarked increments. One through ten ... No, make that
>one through *twelve*. Left in an unmarked briefcase on the corner of Bloor &
>Bathurst...

Da Boss says dat you been askin' too much. Da Boss dudn't like people who
ask foh too much. Da Boss sez dat if you eveh wanna see youse li'l rodent
again, you gunna take the ALT key an' be happy. Kapish?

Olav Mueller

Feb 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/22/97

REF: foxg...@globalserve.net (Drone) (20.02.1997, -3:20:31)
- Subject "Re: Scramble! Ideas up for grabs. (LONG)"

Hallo Drone,
Hallo Rest,

> > > (1) "Dungeonville". ...
> > > (2) "The Annotated Adventure." ...
> > Great! I love these ideas. I would give my left arm^H^H^H
> > ALT-Key to see these things done.
>
> Wow. And here I don't even *have* an ALT-key.

Hm, doesn't that help to get things done? Envision this: You
do "Dungeonville" and "The Annotated Adventure", send me your
snail-mail address and get a new and shiny (well, it used to be
that ...) ALT-Key!

CU,
Olav

omue...@tribal.line.org omue...@sunserver1.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de
Fileserver: SEND HELP im Subject an omue...@tribal.line.org

As soon as we allow one right to be taken away, one truth
lost, we form a link in a chain. It is that chain which
eventually binds us all
-Jean Luc Picard

Drone

Feb 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/23/97

Admiral Jota wrote:

> Well, this may or may not be helpful, but I did a People Search over on
> Yahoo, and got the following results:
>
> [results quoted below]

Nice work! If Inform is to be the base language, the coder might want to ask
Graham Nelson privately for permission to use his port of Adventure as a
basis. This also applies to Adventureville, if and when the time comes to
code it.

Drone.
--
Esse Est Percipi
foxg...@globalserve.net

Drone

Feb 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/23/97

Admiral Jota wrote:

> Drone <foxg...@globalserve.net> writes:
>
> >No. In order to make a proposition like this palatable, I would need ...
> >Function keys. In small unmarked increments. One through ten ... No, make that
> >one through *twelve*. Left in an unmarked briefcase on the corner of Bloor &
> >Bathurst...
>
> Da Boss says dat you been askin' too much. Da Boss dudn't like people who
> ask foh too much. Da Boss sez dat if you eveh wanna see youse li'l rodent
> again, you gunna take the ALT key an' be happy. Kapish?

Hey, Paulie. I din mean nuttin by it. Tell da boss I din mean nuttin by it. I jus
wan my feh sheh, yoo noze? I tot I was patada family, yoo noze? Tell da boss I
loves im like a bruddah. If he say I gotta take da ALT key, I take da ALT key.

Dronie.

glee...@aol.com

Feb 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/23/97

In article <330D62...@globalserve.net>,
foxg...@globalserve.net wrote:
> [...]

> Maybe everyone who is interested in taking a piece of the coding could reply and
> add their names to the list, and everyone who is interested in the editorial end
> could also step forward. Or everyone else step back. Parceling out Bedquilt real
> estate month by month will take some tough decision making. ("Hey! *I* wanted
> Witt's End!")
Pick me! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!!

> Editoral Team Coding Team
> ------------- -----------
> Drone Rybread Celsius

. Gleemoth (Shay C.) I work in TADS; earlier I attempted to learn
Inform, but I think that with Visual Basic, QBasic, HTML, and TADS, my
mind is too full of junk to absorb another language. Gleemoth (Shay)

Drone

Feb 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/23/97

Matthew Amster-Burton wrote:

> Hey, man, I used to play Adventure and Dungeon on a PDP-11

Do you remember a bug in the mainframe Dungeon in which if you didn't
specify to open the *trap* door, the parser would default to the boarded
up front door, and then crash trying to open it?

This was the first bug I ever discovered in a piece of computer
software.

Also, a general question. Which version of both Adventure and Dungeon
should I download from ftp.gmd.de in order to get an experience as close
as possible to exactly what I had on the PDP?

Drone.

Drone

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

glee...@aol.com wrote:

> . Gleemoth (Shay C.) I work in TADS; earlier I attempted to learn
> Inform, but I think that with Visual Basic, QBasic, HTML, and TADS, my
> mind is too full of junk to absorb another language. Gleemoth (Shay)

Nobody has said it has to be in Inform. I have just expressed a personal
preference for it because it can compile for palmtops. But since I'm not doing
the coding that's probably irrelevant. If you're interested, I could put you on
the list and you could help make that decision.

Neil deMause

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

Drone (foxg...@globalserve.net) wrote:

: glee...@aol.com wrote:
: >
: > . Gleemoth (Shay C.) I work in TADS; earlier I attempted to learn
: > Inform, but I think that with Visual Basic, QBasic, HTML, and TADS, my
: > mind is too full of junk to absorb another language. Gleemoth (Shay)
: >

: Nobody has said it has to be in Inform. I have just expressed a personal
: preference for it because it can compile for palmtops. But since I'm not doing

Well, if somebody would be so kind as to write a TADS interpreter for
palmtops, now that the source code is available...

Neil