You know you've been CODING too much in Inform when

J.D. Berry

Jan 9, 2001, 9:04:43 AM1/9/01
In ordinary correspondence, you reach for the tilde instead of the
quotation mark.

When you're ready to add to your Metro card, you think: move card to
hand; <<Addfare card>>;

The ATM receipt gets stuck and you think: "that statement can never be
reached."

The bumper sticker "think globally, act locally" makes you theorize.

You seem to be missing a button.

Your ordinary correspondence has each sentence ending with a semicolon.

The guy who just cut you off in traffic is missing a few properties.

You lament that the whiskey you took to Canada was declared but never
used.

if (trafficLight.color == GREEN)
self.acceleration++;

You think any of the above should have been more efficiently or
elegantly humorous.

Jim

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Neil Cerutti

Jan 9, 2001, 9:46:47 AM1/9/01
J.D. Berry posted:

Hee hee. Here's a few more:

You attempt to rtrue from unpleasant conversations.

You often think seriously about replacing yourself with a new and
better player object, one with a diet_and_exercise property.

You write your "TO DO" list every morning in z-machine op-codes.

Whenever something goes unexpectedly wrong, you mutter: "Must be
an error in the standard library."

When you see a phrase inside quotation marks you mentally
append: new line, return true.

"You "; #Include "lots of"; "", (address) 'extra', " punctuation
^in your writings.";

When people converse with you they get frustrated because you
only recognize the first 9 letters of their words, yet you
invariably utilize enormous words to talk back to them.

In a discussion of how much better the book Shirley Jackson's "The
Haunting of Hill House" was than the movie, you say: "I liked the
v3 version much better than the v6 version."

When you forget to buy eggs at the grocer's you think
perhaps you should switch to Glulx to get more memory.

--
Neil Cerutti <cer...@together.net>

Joe Mason

Jan 12, 2001, 1:38:21 PM1/12/01
In article <93f5po$llk$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

J.D. Berry <jdb...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>In ordinary correspondence, you reach for the tilde instead of the
>quotation mark.

I used to do this on IFmud all the time. Dunno when I stopped.

>The ATM receipt gets stuck and you think: "that statement can never be
>reached."

Hah!

Joe

Jonadab the Unsightly One

Jan 23, 2001, 12:59:58 AM1/23/01
J.D. Berry <jdb...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> In ordinary correspondence, you reach for the tilde instead of the
> quotation mark.

I used to do that.

> The bumper sticker "think globally, act locally" makes you theorize.

Heh.

> Your ordinary correspondence has each sentence ending with a semicolon.

Many computer languages will do that to you.

> You think any of the above should have been more efficiently or
> elegantly humorous.

Oh, absolutely.

When you're cooking, and something is in a closed cupboard, you
mentally tell yourself to give the cupboard open, and then you
reach out and do so. (I actually do this. Doors also.)

Every time you look at a key you stop and think about whether
it's a brass key, an steel key, an iron key, ... This can
also happen if you play too many IF games, especially Curses.

You go to take a drink at the end of a meal, but unfortunately
your glass already has empty.

Every time you pour just part of something into a different
container, you wince, thinking how difficult that is to code.

You're programming in another language, such as Perl, and
when you reach a certain problem your gut reaction is that
it would be easier to do with Inform objects.

You want to write react_before routines in shell scripts.

You want to write react_before routines for some of
the real objects in your house.

You thought about porting Linux to glulx, and you actually
started on the kernel, but then you realised that you'd have
to recompile it for systems with different amounts of RAM,
so you gave up.

- jonadab