[Comp01] Go Get Them Games

Stephen Granade

Sep 30, 2001, 10:11:07 PM9/30/01
I hereby declare the 2001 Interactive Fiction Competition begun. We
have 52 entries this year, one less than the record-setting number
from last year.

The Textfire page is moving, so for now use one of the following
web addresses:

http://www.plover.net/~textfire/comp01
http://www.ifcomp.org
http://www.ifcompetition.org

You can get the games from the FTP version of IFArchive. It'll appear
on the web version in a while. For now, the following sites are
online:

ftp://ftp.ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/competition2001
http://www.wurb.com/if/competition2001/
ftp://baf.wurb.com/pub/competition2001/

Enjoy.

Stephen

--
Stephen Granade
sgra...@phy.duke.edu

Billy Harris

Oct 1, 2001, 6:25:11 AM10/1/01
In article <jdwv2gn...@login2.phy.duke.edu>, Stephen Granade
<sgra...@phy.duke.edu> wrote:

> The Textfire page is moving, so for now use one of the following
> web addresses:

Am I the only one who thinks this is extraordinarily bad timing, and is
this related to About.Com's shutdown?

Stephen Granade

Oct 1, 2001, 8:18:25 AM10/1/01
Billy Harris <wha...@mail.airmail.net> writes:

The timing is unfortunate, but completely unrelated to About.com
removing my site. Ivan Cockrum had been paying to host Textfire for a
number of years now, but found he couldn't any more. David Cornelson
has kindly agreed to let the old Textfire pages be hosted on one of
his machines. We're hoping that in a week or three we can have the
Textfire and ifcompetition.org domains pointed at the new pages.

Andrew Plotkin

Oct 1, 2001, 9:56:55 AM10/1/01
Stephen Granade <sgra...@phy.duke.edu> wrote:
> I hereby declare the 2001 Interactive Fiction Competition begun. We
> have 52 entries this year, one less than the record-setting number
> from last year.

> The Textfire page is moving, so for now use one of the following
> web addresses:

> You can get the games from the FTP version of IFArchive. It'll appear
> on the web version in a while. For now, the following sites are
> online:

Now also:

http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-archiveXgamesXcompetition2001.html
http://mirror.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-archiveXgamesXcompetition2001.html

I strongly suspect the "mirror" machine will be faster.

--Z

*

Ted M

Oct 1, 2001, 6:47:46 PM10/1/01
> I hereby declare the 2001 Interactive Fiction Competition begun. We have
> 52 entries this year, one less than the record-setting number from last
> year.

Huzzah! And yet...

...no Rybread again this year?

Rybread, my Rybread, why have you abandoned us???

- Ted, wistful

David A. Cornelson

Oct 1, 2001, 7:04:50 PM10/1/01
"Ted M" <kin...@a-znet.com> wrote in message

I have a sneaking suspicion that he is lurking and not far.

Jarb

Al

Oct 2, 2001, 8:33:55 AM10/2/01
Stephen Granade wrote:

We're hoping that in a week or three we can have the

> Textfire and ifcompetition.org domains pointed at the new pages.

Hope fully Stephen's ( former) page at about.com will be placed on a new
server as well.

Marnie Parker

Oct 2, 2001, 11:29:48 PM10/2/01
>Subject: Re: [Comp01] Go Get Them Games
>From: "Ted M" kin...@a-znet.com
>Date: 10/1/2001 3:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time

>Huzzah! And yet...
>
>...no Rybread again this year?
>
>Rybread, my Rybread, why have you abandoned us???
>

>- Ted, wistful

I feel the same.

But I have a sneaking suspicion he's not around anymore because...

... he grew up.

Doe :-)

doea...@aol.com
Glulx/Glk for Dunces http://members.aol.com/doepage/glkdunces.htm
IF Art Gallery http://members.aol.com/iffyart/
IF Review Conspiracy http://www.textfire.com/conspiracy/
The Tame Computer http://members.aol.com/tamecomputer/

Andrew Plotkin

Oct 3, 2001, 11:00:06 AM10/3/01
Marnie Parker <doea...@aol.com> wrote:
>>Subject: Re: [Comp01] Go Get Them Games
>>From: "Ted M" kin...@a-znet.com
>>Date: 10/1/2001 3:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time

>>Huzzah! And yet...
>>
>>...no Rybread again this year?
>>
>>Rybread, my Rybread, why have you abandoned us???
>>
>>- Ted, wistful

> I feel the same.
>
> But I have a sneaking suspicion he's not around anymore because...
>
> ... he grew up.

Then I hope it's a long time before I do the same. :)

L. Ross Raszewski

Oct 3, 2001, 11:44:27 PM10/3/01
On 3 Oct 2001 15:00:06 GMT, Andrew Plotkin <erky...@eblong.com> wrote:
>Marnie Parker <doea...@aol.com> wrote:
>>>Subject: Re: [Comp01] Go Get Them Games
>>>From: "Ted M" kin...@a-znet.com
>>>Date: 10/1/2001 3:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time
>
>>>Huzzah! And yet...
>>>
>>>...no Rybread again this year?
>>>
>>>Rybread, my Rybread, why have you abandoned us???
>>>
>>>- Ted, wistful
>
>> I feel the same.
>>
>> But I have a sneaking suspicion he's not around anymore because...
>>
>> ... he grew up.
>
>Then I hope it's a long time before I do the same. :)
>
>--Z

I think the rest of us hope so too.

Rybread

Oct 4, 2001, 2:21:26 AM10/4/01
> >>...no Rybread again this year?
> >>
> >>Rybread, my Rybread, why have you abandoned us???
> >>
> >>- Ted, wistful
>
> > I feel the same.
> >
> > But I have a sneaking suspicion he's not around anymore because...
> >
> > ... he grew up.
>
> Then I hope it's a long time before I do the same. :)

Nope. I'm here. My old e-mail address finally evaporated, my legion
of fans are probably bored of the same songs at mp3.com/bratwurst and
I've generally been busy with school and work (I'm a pharmacy
technician. They let me count drugs.) I'm actually in a game design
tutorial at school right now, those who doubt can look here
http://nmc.bennington.edu/faculty/rpuentedura/tutorials/gameprog/index.html
We're into narrative form now and everyone hates me cause I'm making
them read Crimes Against Mimesisisisisis and making them play Shade.

There about 8-10 students in the class and we all have to make a short
game, so yes, Virginia, a new Rybread game soon. Perhaps a little bit
more thought, maybe not, I only have a week. And hopefully with all
the competition games, no one will even notice.

However, my past work is indeed biting me in the rear, as my teacher
has found my past 'work' and made it public knowledge.

Even more disturbing:
http://members.tripod.com/~BlueMagus/zzt/flesh.htm
Rippled Flesh was ported to ZZT.

Ryan Stevens
http://www.pushove.com

Marnie Parker

Oct 4, 2001, 4:51:16 AM10/4/01
>Subject: Re: [Comp01] Go Get Them Games
>From: lrasz...@loyola.edu (L. Ross Raszewski)
>Date: 10/3/2001 8:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time

>>> ... he grew up.
>>
>>Then I hope it's a long time before I do the same. :)
>>
>>--Z
>>

>I think the rest of us hope so too.

Ditto.

Ted M

Oct 5, 2001, 12:51:34 PM10/5/01
He lives! He LIVES! The RYBREAD RETURNITH (sic) !!!

> and we all have to make a short game, so yes, Virginia, a new
> Rybread game soon.

And THE RYBREAD STILL WRITETH!

I must go construct a shrine.

- Ted

Alexander Deubelbeiss

Oct 6, 2001, 9:01:48 AM10/6/01
Anson Turner wrote:
>In article <pan.2001.10.05.1...@a-znet.com>,
> "Ted M" <kin...@a-znet.com> wrote:

>>And THE RYBREAD STILL WRITETH!
>>
>>I must go construct a shrine.
>

>I hope you aren't implying that you don't already have one. How have you
>been conducting your sacrifices?

I usually just pour some beer on the ground.

Martin Julian DeMello

Oct 6, 2001, 7:34:37 PM10/6/01

Before or after drinking it?

--
Martin DeMello

Alexander Deubelbeiss

Oct 7, 2001, 5:26:07 AM10/7/01
Martin Julian DeMello wrote:
--

[Formerly appended fullquote was nuked by morver,
the versatile morphing server.]