How do you pronounce "XYZZY"

Sam Powell

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
do you treat the X as a Z and pronounce it
ZIZZY??

--
ICQ: 11475858
Mail: sp...@globalnet.co.uk

tv's Spatch

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
On Sun, 23 Aug 1998 08:41:49 -0700, Sus...@Zearthlink.net (Susan)
wrote:

>>do you treat the X as a Z and pronounce it
>>ZIZZY??
>

> No, this is not a word but a cute grouping of letters that are
>not pronounced as a word but as individual letters X-Y-Z-Z-Y. I don't
>recall any discussion of how it would otherwise be pronounced over the
>past years either. I think there is greater impact not trying to
>prounouce it as a word too.

Although one time on Pee-Wee's Playhouse the secret word was
XYZZYBALUBA and was pronounced "zizzybalooba", but that was an
entirely different word as you can see. I usually pronounce XYZZY
"ehks-why-zeezee-why".

- spatch, why-emm-emm-vee, of course -

--
der spatchel reading, mass 01867
resident cranky fovea.retina.net 4000

"Run, you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!" - Manuel Calveras

Iain Merrick

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
tv's Spatch wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Aug 1998 08:41:49 -0700, Sus...@Zearthlink.net (Susan)
> wrote:
>
> >>do you treat the X as a Z and pronounce it
> >>ZIZZY??
> >
> > No, this is not a word but a cute grouping of letters that are
> >not pronounced as a word but as individual letters X-Y-Z-Z-Y. I don't
> >recall any discussion of how it would otherwise be pronounced over the
> >past years either. I think there is greater impact not trying to
> >prounouce it as a word too.
>
> Although one time on Pee-Wee's Playhouse the secret word was
> XYZZYBALUBA and was pronounced "zizzybalooba", but that was an
> entirely different word as you can see. I usually pronounce XYZZY
> "ehks-why-zeezee-why".

Oh, there was a thread about this ages ago. It turns out that people
pronounce 'xyzzy' all different ways: I myself say 'zizzy'. (In the UK,
'Z' is pronounced 'zed', so 'X-Y-Z-Z-Y' isn't quite so catchy.)

I vaguely recall that either Crowther or Woods himself joined that
thread and gave the 'canonical' pronunciations of all the magic words
from 'Adventure'. Can't remember any of them, though. :/

--
Iain Merrick

Brian 'Beej' Hall

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
In article <6rp5s8$ogl$1...@heliodor.xara.net>,

Sam Powell <sp...@globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
>do you treat the X as a Z and pronounce it
>ZIZZY??

When in doubt, look it up in the Hacker Jargon File:

# :xyzzy: /X-Y-Z-Z-Y/, /X-Y-ziz'ee/, /ziz'ee/, or /ik-ziz'ee/
# /adj./ [from the ADVENT game] The {canonical} `magic
# word'. This comes from {ADVENT}, in which the idea is to
# explore an underground cave with many rooms and to collect the
# treasures you find there. If you type `xyzzy' at the appropriate
# time, you can move instantly between two otherwise distant points.
# If, therefore, you encounter some bit of {magic}, you might
# remark on this quite succinctly by saying simply "Xyzzy!"
# "Ordinarily you can't look at someone else's screen if he has
# protected it, but if you type quadruple-bucky-clear the system will
# let you do it anyway." "Xyzzy!"
#
# Xyzzy has actually been implemented as an undocumented no-op
# command on several OSes; in Data General's AOS/VS, for example, it
# would typically respond "Nothing happens", just as {ADVENT}
# did if the magic was invoked at the wrong spot or before a player
# had performed the action that enabled the word. In more recent
# 32-bit versions, by the way, AOS/VS responds "Twice as much
# happens".
#
# The popular `minesweeper' game under Microsoft Windows has a
# cheat mode triggered by the command `xyzzy<enter><right-shift>'
# that turns the top-left pixel of the screen different colors
# depending on whether or not the cursor is over a bomb.

The HJF can be found at http://sagan.earthspace.net/jargon/ .

For the record, I was always partial to "ziz'ee", 'cause it is easiest
to say. :-)

-Beej

J. Robinson Wheeler

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
Susan wrote:

> >do you treat the X as a Z and pronounce it
> >ZIZZY??
>
> No, this is not a word but a cute grouping of letters that are
> not pronounced as a word but as individual letters X-Y-Z-Z-Y. I don't
> recall any discussion of how it would otherwise be pronounced over the
> past years either. I think there is greater impact not trying to
> prounouce it as a word too.
>
> * Susan * Remove "Z" to fix address

Au contraire. I asked this same question one or two years ago, and got
a few quick responses from Thorntons and Plotkins and those types.
I was of the "spell it out in my head X-Y-Z-Z-Y" camp until I asked, and
since then I've pronounce it "eks-izzy." There are a couple of other
pronounciations out there. I don't think the OED has made a decision
on the preferred...

--
J. Robinson Wheeler
whe...@jump.net http://www.jump.net/~wheeler/jrw/home.html

Sam Powell

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
I think it is ZIZZY - and Im English, and so X-Y-Z-Z-Y takes ages to say

EKS-WHY-ZED-ZED-WHY

Its like the citroen Xantia, and Xsara

pronounced Zantia , and Zara. -

Erik Max Francis

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
Sam Powell wrote:

> do you treat the X as a Z and pronounce it
> ZIZZY??

You pronounce it "Eks Why Zee Zee Why."

--
Erik Max Francis / email m...@alcyone.com / whois mf303 / icq 16063900
Alcyone Systems / irc maxxon (efnet) / finger m...@sade.alcyone.com

Drone

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
In article <35e0368a...@news.earthlink.net>, Sus...@Zearthlink.net
(Susan) wrote:

> >do you treat the X as a Z and pronounce it
> >ZIZZY??
>

> No, this is not a word but a cute grouping of letters that are
> not pronounced as a word but as individual letters X-Y-Z-Z-Y. I don't
> recall any discussion of how it would otherwise be pronounced over the
> past years either. I think there is greater impact not trying to
> prounouce it as a word too.
>
> * Susan * Remove "Z" to fix address

I've been pronouncing it eksizzy since 1979 -- but this discussion has
been done, and it never seems to end conclusively.

Dylan O'Donnell

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
"Sam Powell" <sp...@globalnet.co.uk> writes:
> do you treat the X as a Z and pronounce it
> ZIZZY??

It's probably worth quoting Don Woods' (one of the authors of Adventure,
with Will Crowther) answer last time this came up 18 months ago:

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
>I think there is greater impact not trying to
>prounouce it as a word too.

You can pronounce it just like it's written in German.

--
+------------------------+----------------------------------------------+
| Gunther Schmidl | "I couldn't help it. I can resist everything |
| A-4040 LINZ +----------------------------------------------+
| Tel: 0732 25 28 57 | http://gschmidl.home.ml.org - new & improved |
+------------------------+---+------------------------------------------+
| sothoth (at) usa (dot) net | please remove the "xxx." before replying |
+----------------------------+------------------------------------------+

Bruce Greenwood

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
On Sun, 23 Aug 1998 22:54:00 -0500, foxg...@globalserve.net (Drone)
wrote:

>In article <35e0368a...@news.earthlink.net>, Sus...@Zearthlink.net
>(Susan) wrote:
>

>> >do you treat the X as a Z and pronounce it
>> >ZIZZY??
>>

>> No, this is not a word but a cute grouping of letters that are
>> not pronounced as a word but as individual letters X-Y-Z-Z-Y. I don't
>> recall any discussion of how it would otherwise be pronounced over the

>> past years either. I think there is greater impact not trying to

>> prounouce it as a word too.
>>

>> * Susan * Remove "Z" to fix address
>
>I've been pronouncing it eksizzy since 1979 -- but this discussion has
>been done, and it never seems to end conclusively.

I always pronounce it "kzizzy

*** CARRIER LOST IN A PUFF OF ORANGE SMOKE

theodore hwa

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
Dylan O'Donnell (dyl...@demon.net) wrote:
:
: It's probably worth quoting Don Woods' (one of the authors of Adventure,

: with Will Crowther) answer last time this came up 18 months ago:
:
: --- begin quote ---
:
: From: Don Woods <d...@madrigal.clari.net>
: Date: 1997/02/27
: Newsgroups: rec.games.int-fiction
:
: Alas, Crowther was responsible for XYZZY and PLUGH. I think I remember
: him saying that he'd generated them at random, but I don't remember how
: (or even if) he pronounced them.
[...]
:
: On the other hand, PLOVER was my addition, and since it's keyed to the

: name of the bird ("an emerald the size of a plover's egg!") it ought to
: be pronounced like the bird. But -- aha! -- being ignorant on the topic,
: I always thought the bird's name was pronounced ploh-ver.
:
: -- Don.
:
: ---- end quote ----

While we're on this topic, what about GRUE? Does anyone else besides me
like to pronounce this with two syllables (guh-roo)? I think it sounds
more 'sinister' than the one-syllable version. In fact I never thought to
pronounce it any way other than guh-roo until I played one of the recent
Zork games with sound.

Ted

Erik Max Francis

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
theodore hwa wrote:

> While we're on this topic, what about GRUE? Does anyone else besides
> me
> like to pronounce this with two syllables (guh-roo)? I think it
> sounds
> more 'sinister' than the one-syllable version. In fact I never
> thought to
> pronounce it any way other than guh-roo until I played one of the
> recent
> Zork games with sound.

Do you pronounce _nuclear_ with three syllables, too?

--
Erik Max Francis / email m...@alcyone.com / whois mf303 / icq 16063900
Alcyone Systems / irc maxxon (efnet) / finger m...@sade.alcyone.com
San Jose, CA / languages En, Eo / web http://www.alcyone.com/max/
USA / icbm 37 20 07 N 121 53 38 W / &tSftDotIotE
\

/ Man is preceded by forest, followed by desert.
/ (graffiti written during French student revolt)

J. Robinson Wheeler

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
Erik Max Francis wrote:

> theodore hwa wrote:
>
> > While we're on this topic, what about GRUE? Does anyone else besides
> > me like to pronounce this with two syllables (guh-roo)? ... I never

> > thought to pronounce it any way other than guh-roo until I played one
> > of the recent Zork games with sound.
>
> Do you pronounce _nuclear_ with three syllables, too?

Er... both "noo-klee'-ur" and "noo'-kyoo-ler" have three syllables. Which
pronunciation has two? Or do you know one with four?

As for guh-roo, I think you're alone in that one, Ted. "Not that there's
anything wrong with that." I've got my weird cartoon character thief,
you've got your lurking guh-roos.

Well, how about Aragain falls? I always said "Air-uh-gain." Are there
any "arr-agin"s out there, or others? What about "Flathead"? Maybe
there's someone out there pronouncing it "flath'-eed."

Den of Iniquity

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Erik Max Francis wrote:
>Do you pronounce _nuclear_ with three syllables, too?

Uh... Who doesn't?

Mind you, I pronounce 'four' with two syllables.

--
Den

Brian 'Beej' Hall

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
In article <Pine.SGI.3.95L.98082...@ebor.york.ac.uk>,

Den of Iniquity <dms...@york.ac.uk> wrote:
>Mind you, I pronounce 'four' with two syllables.

I was always partial to "aff-aoh-EWE-ahr", myself.

How does Will Crowther pronounce "four"?

-Beej

Mikko P Vuorinen

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98

>>I think there is greater impact not trying to
>>prounouce it as a word too.

>You can pronounce it just like it's written in German.

I'd pronounce it "ksütsü".

--
)))) (((( + Mikko Vuorinen + mvuo...@cc.helsinki.fi
)) OO `oo'((( + Dilbon@IRC&ifMUD + http://www.helsinki.fi/~mvuorine/

Gunther Schmidl

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98

>I'd pronounce it "ksütsü".

Yep, that's about it. Only my news server wouldn't let me send u-umlauts :-)

Weird Beard

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98

>While we're on this topic, what about GRUE? Does anyone else besides me
>like to pronounce this with two syllables (guh-roo)? I think it sounds
>more 'sinister' than the one-syllable version. In fact I never thought to

>pronounce it any way other than guh-roo until I played one of the recent
>Zork games with sound.

guh-roo may be more sinister but grew is more <rimshot>gruesome</rimshot>

Jonadab the Unsightly One

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Susan <Sus...@Zearthlink.net> wrote in article
<35e29990...@news.earthlink.net>...

> XYZZY - to complex to pronounce so I spell it out.

Zizz-ee

> PLUGH - Plew (gh is silent for me), what do you think of that?
> Maybe it should sound more-like Pla but I can't change now.

Plooh.

> PLOVER - Plover - just the way it sounds.

I pronounce the O as long, personally.

> GRUE - Grew - no accent on anything.

Same, but with a dark tone.

> because no adventurer has ever lived to describe one - so what comes
> up in your mind when you see the word "grue" - some sort of creature
> all the same with sharp claws and fangs or blackness?

One thing I know: grue have sharp teeth.

--
Dyslexic email address: ten.thgirb@badanoj

Erik Max Francis

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:

> > PLUGH - Plew (gh is silent for me), what do you think of that?
> > Maybe it should sound more-like Pla but I can't change
> > now.
>
> Plooh.

We Francis children always pronounced it "plug."

> > PLOVER - Plover - just the way it sounds.
>
> I pronounce the O as long, personally.

Same here.

> One thing I know: grue have sharp teeth.

Wouldn't that be "grues"?

Iain Merrick

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Den of Iniquity wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Erik Max Francis wrote:
> >Do you pronounce _nuclear_ with three syllables, too?
>
> Uh... Who doesn't?

No idea.

> Mind you, I pronounce 'four' with two syllables.

I pronounce 'film' with two syllables [1], but I also pronounce 'cinema'
with two syllables [2].

Iain

[1] 'Fillum'
[2] 'Pictures'

Den of Iniquity

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Iain Merrick wrote:

>Den of Iniquity wrote:
>> Mind you, I pronounce 'four' with two syllables.

(to rhyme with 'lower' of course)

>I pronounce 'film' with two syllables [1]

>[1] 'Fillum'

Haddaway!

So do you pronounce master with a long 'mauster', despite pronouncing
castle with the short flat 'a'?

I had a great evening once, teasing my Geordie girlfriend by pronouncing
all words with 'l' followed by a consonant as if there were a schwa
between the two letters - first fil'm, then stay cal'm, pass the
sal't. She was amused, I coul'd tel'l, even if she did keep punching me. I
laughed and laughed til'l it hurt. Literal'ly.

Grue, by the way, should be pronounced in a thick Scottish accent. In
fact, it sounds a lot like the 'Bru' in Irn Bru. After all, grue is a word
that's been in Scottish dialect for maybe centuries.

So. How do Americans pronounce 'scone'? (The most contentious word in the
British language.)

--
Den

Iain Merrick

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Den of Iniquity wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Iain Merrick wrote:
>
> >Den of Iniquity wrote:
> >> Mind you, I pronounce 'four' with two syllables.
> (to rhyme with 'lower' of course)
>
> >I pronounce 'film' with two syllables [1]
> >[1] 'Fillum'
>
> Haddaway!

Eeek! I surrender! Um, what?

> So do you pronounce master with a long 'mauster', despite pronouncing
> castle with the short flat 'a'?

No...?

> I had a great evening once, teasing my Geordie girlfriend by pronouncing
> all words with 'l' followed by a consonant as if there were a schwa
> between the two letters - first fil'm, then stay cal'm, pass the
> sal't. She was amused, I coul'd tel'l, even if she did keep punching me. I
> laughed and laughed til'l it hurt. Literal'ly.

No, film is 'fillum'; calm doesn't have an 'l' sound, so it's 'camm';
salt doesn't have a 't' sound, so it's 'sol''.

> Grue, by the way, should be pronounced in a thick Scottish accent.

This is not a problem.

> In fact, it sounds a lot like the 'Bru' in Irn Bru.

True.

> After all, grue is a word that's been in Scottish dialect for maybe centuries.

Really? The only pre-Infocom reference I can think of is Jack Vance's
_Dying Earth_ books.

> So. How do Americans pronounce 'scone'? (The most contentious word in the
> British language.)

It's not contentious at all. The One True Pronunciation is 'sconn'. So
there.

Mark J Musante

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Den of Iniquity (dms...@york.ac.uk) wrote:
> Grue, by the way, should be pronounced in a thick Scottish accent. In

Yes! Perfect.

> How do Americans pronounce 'scone'? (The most contentious word in the
> British language.)

The way I pronounce it (and the way I most often hear it), it rhymes
with "bone". OTOH, I've heard it pronounced by a very few others to
rhyme with "gone".

-=- Mark -=-

Den of Iniquity

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Iain Merrick wrote:

>Den of Iniquity wrote:
>> I had a great evening once, teasing my Geordie girlfriend by pronouncing
>> all words with 'l' followed by a consonant as if there were a schwa
>> between the two letters - first fil'm, then stay cal'm, pass the
>> sal't. She was amused, I coul'd tel'l, even if she did keep punching me. I
>> laughed and laughed til'l it hurt. Literal'ly.
>
>No, film is 'fillum'; calm doesn't have an 'l' sound, so it's 'camm';
>salt doesn't have a 't' sound, so it's 'sol''.

Hey, _I_ knew that, she knew that I knew that. Wouldn't have been funny
otherwise. To me, anyway. I'm always teasing her about such things (and
the way she pronounces master, plaster, etc.). I s'pose it's only fair
that she found it hilarious that I often pronounce stairs and similarly
ending words as 'stirs' and so on.

>> So. How do Americans pronounce 'scone'? (The most contentious word in the
>> British language.)
>

>It's not contentious at all. The One True Pronunciation is 'sconn'.

:) What's weird is that I consider it 'posh' to pronounce it
'skoan'. However I have friends (Southerners) who assert that 'skon' is
the posh way to pronounce it. Is this a unique word, varying not only in
pronunciation from place to place but also in social class?

--
Den

Iain Merrick

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Mark J Musante wrote:

> Den of Iniquity (dms...@york.ac.uk) wrote:
> > Grue, by the way, should be pronounced in a thick Scottish accent. In
>
> Yes! Perfect.

Yes... not _quite_ two syllables, just enough of a t'rilled 'r' to break
it up. And 'ue' rhyming with Fraser-from-_Dad's Army_'s "we're
dooooomed!". :)

Allen Garvin

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Den of Iniquity <dms...@york.ac.uk> wrote:

So. How do Americans pronounce 'scone'? (The most contentious word
in the British language.)

Despite being to Britain a number of times, I blissfully pronounced it
with a long 'o', until a couple years ago when I read in the newspaper that
they were returning the Stone of Scone, for which I also had a mistaken
pronunciation, to Scotland. An attempt to make a bad pun about this to
a friend from Edinburgh resulted in her collapsing in laughter as I
missed most words horribly.

Anyway, who cares? Scones are just donuts with an ego problem.
--
Allen Garvin I think I'll
--------------------------------------------- Let the mystery be

Den of Iniquity

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
On 25 Aug 1998, Allen Garvin wrote:
>Despite being to Britain a number of times, I blissfully pronounced it
>with a long 'o',

Not wrong. Just posh. Or southern - in UK terms, anyway, which to
northerners, amounts to the same thing.

>Anyway, who cares? Scones are just donuts with an ego problem.

That's the second time I've seen scones alikened (unfavourably) to donuts
(however spelt) - first time was Bruce Willis, I think. How the two get
linked I'll never know. I mean, you put butter on scones. They're bready.

--
Den

Drone

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
I pronounce XYZZY "eksizzy".
I pronounce PLUGH "ploof". Don't laugh.
I pronounce PLOVER "ploh-ver".
I pronounce GRUE "groo", as in the wanderer.
I pronounce GNUSTO with a silent "G".
I pronounce FLOYD with a silent "L".
I pronounce ZORK III with a silent "I".
I pronounce DON WOODS "woody".
I pronounce RAIF "ralph", in an effort to close the RALPH FIENNES phonetic
wormhole.
I pronounce SPATCH "gesundheit".
I pronounce DOEADEER3 "proof of the cloning conspiracy".
I pronounce JOE MASON with a fifties cop-show drawl.
I pronounce CARDINAL TEULBACHS just for fun.

and

I find ZARF too confusing and difficult to pronounce, so I just spell it out.

Drone.

Dan Shiovitz

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
In article <35E2A0...@cs.york.ac.uk>,

Iain Merrick <i...@cs.york.ac.uk> wrote:
>Den of Iniquity wrote:
[..]

>> After all, grue is a word that's been in Scottish dialect for maybe centuries.
>
>Really? The only pre-Infocom reference I can think of is Jack Vance's
>_Dying Earth_ books.

I'm fairly sure I saw the phrase "gives me a grue" in a book by
Dorothy Sayers, presumably meaning something like "creeps me out".

--
Dan Shiovitz || d...@cs.wisc.edu || http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~dbs
"...Incensed by some crack he had made about modern enlightened

Adam J. Thornton

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
In article <6rvc3e$j...@spool.cs.wisc.edu>,

Dan Shiovitz <d...@cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
>I'm fairly sure I saw the phrase "gives me a grue" in a book by
>Dorothy Sayers, presumably meaning something like "creeps me out".

That's hardly portable.

Adam
--
ad...@princeton.edu
"There's a border to somewhere waiting, and a tank full of time." - J. Steinman

Joe Mason

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
In article <foxglove-250...@dialin2292.toronto.globalserve.net>,

Drone <foxg...@globalserve.net> wrote:
>I pronounce SPATCH "gesundheit".
>I pronounce DOEADEER3 "proof of the cloning conspiracy".
>I pronounce JOE MASON with a fifties cop-show drawl.
>I pronounce CARDINAL TEULBACHS just for fun.

Cool. Not sure what I'm doing in that list, but I like it!

So how do you pronounce RYBREAD CELSIUS?

Joe
--
I think OO is great... It's no coincidence that "woohoo" contains "oo" twice.
-- GLYPH

Joyce Haslam

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
In article <Pine.SGI.3.95L.98082...@ebor.york.ac.uk>,

Den of Iniquity <dms...@york.ac.uk> wrote:

> So. How do Americans pronounce 'scone'? (The most contentious word in the
> British language.)

We don't. Why should we?

Joyce.

--
Enter Comus, with a charming rod in one hand and a
glass in the other (Milton)

Blake Hyde

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
On Tue, 25 Aug 1998 15:43:33 +0100, co...@argonet.co.uk (Joyce Haslam) dared to utter:

>In article <Pine.SGI.3.95L.98082...@ebor.york.ac.uk>,
> Den of Iniquity <dms...@york.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> So. How do Americans pronounce 'scone'? (The most contentious word in the
>> British language.)
>
>We don't. Why should we?

What, pray tell, is a 'scone?' the dictionary says a 'flat cake.' Hmm.
Never heard of it. Cornbread, yes. Tortillas, yes. Scones, no.
--

Blake Hyde (ROT13: ou...@pbaarpgh.arg)
-==(UDIC)==-

Weird Beard

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
>Hmmm. The original was FemaleDeer and Doeadeer3 is a clone?
>
>Possible, but if so, I certainly can't tell.

You've probably been programmed not to. One clue is if you say "What?," "I
don't understand," and "Where's the tea?" alot.

Adam J. Thornton

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
In article <35E296...@cs.york.ac.uk>,

Iain Merrick <i...@cs.york.ac.uk> wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Erik Max Francis wrote:
>> >Do you pronounce _nuclear_ with three syllables, too?
>> Uh... Who doesn't?
>No idea.
>I pronounce 'film' with two syllables [1], but I also pronounce 'cinema'
>with two syllables [2].

I'm from Georgia. Unfortunately, the best example of the Southern
diphthong I can think of is profane.

Thus, you may want to skip to the next message now.

No, really.

Real adventurers do not use the language I am about to.

You've been warned.

I mean it!

"Shit" has at LEAST three syllables. "Shee-ayyyy-it." At least when said
for dramatic effect. But then "Damn" has two : "Day-um!"

And then there are all manner of colorful, if not exactly transparent,
similies: "Slicker 'n' owlshit on a tin roof," "Horny as a two-peckered
billy goat", "Dumber 'n' a bag of hammers," "Crazier than a drunken mule at
a textile mill." Well, I just made up that last one, but you get the
idea.

I hate living in New Jersey, where the above become "Really fuckin'
slick!", "Really fuckin' horny!", and "Really fuckin' dumb!" And I bet you
can guess what the fourth one would become.

Adam J. Thornton

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
In article <Ey8wM...@world.std.com>,

Mark J Musante <olo...@world.std.com> wrote:
>> How do Americans pronounce 'scone'? (The most contentious word in the
>> British language.)
>The way I pronounce it (and the way I most often hear it), it rhymes
>with "bone". OTOH, I've heard it pronounced by a very few others to
>rhyme with "gone".

"Biscuit." Or is that "Cookie?"

Adam J. Thornton

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
In article <35E264D3...@alcyone.com>,

Erik Max Francis <m...@alcyone.com> wrote:
>> One thing I know: grue have sharp teeth.
>Wouldn't that be "grues"?

Gruen.

Julian Fleetwood

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Susan wrote in message <35e29990...@news.earthlink.net>...
>>: Alas, Crowther was responsible for XYZZY and PLUGH. I think I remember
>>: him saying that he'd generated them at random, but I don't remember how
>>: (or even if) he pronounced them.

> PLOVER - Plover - just the way it sounds.

I recall reading somewhere that the proper pronunciation uses the same OV
sound as in GLOVE.

--
Julian Fleetwood (http://surf.to/free4all)
IF: http://www.tip.net.au/~mfleetwo/if/index.htm

Rybread Celsius

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
>Cool. Not sure what I'm doing in that list, but I like it!
>So how do you pronounce RYBREAD CELSIUS?

With saffron and pepper
and a bit of a lepper,
the juice of seed
and the blood of nut
(and whilst digging for
treasures, you must scream "King Tut!"
add a pinch of sarcasm
and airport peanuts
and you'lle have Rybread
and most of his guts.
Sit Vis cum te
peace___anarchyfreedompunkinteractivefictionslackantiinfinityyellowoi!2o3.
/ -\--- Rotund \/ ! "Live long & | ryb...@anok4u2.org
(/ ) Pigeon \00_| fuck off!!" |Pure Nihilism: Emu, Japan, Punk
\o-o/ _||_ Riot Nrrrd | www.digivill.net/~dayeight

Doeadeer3

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
foxg...@globalserve.net (Drone) writes:

>I pronounce DOEADEER3 "proof of the cloning conspiracy".

Hmmm. The original was FemaleDeer and Doeadeer3 is a clone?

Possible, but if so, I certainly can't tell.

Doe ;-) They have improved cloning science a lot, though.
Doe doea...@aol.com (formerly known as FemaleDeer)
"In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain

pke...@hotmail.com

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
> From: foxg...@globalserve.net (Drone)

>I pronounce JOE MASON with a fifties cop-show drawl.

Strangly, I pronounce JOE MASON as JOE DOT MASON due to ...

>I pronounce CARDINAL TEULBACHS just for fun.

... his old sig :-) It done burned into my withered brain :-)

Patrick

David J Wildstrom

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <Pine.SGI.3.95L.98082...@ebor.york.ac.uk>,
Den of Iniquity <dms...@york.ac.uk> wrote:
>On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Iain Merrick wrote:
>
>>Den of Iniquity wrote:
>Haddaway!

Gesundheit.

>So. How do Americans pronounce 'scone'? (The most contentious word in the
>British language.)

BIS-ket. :-)

+--First Church of Briantology--Order of the Holy Quaternion--+
| More than just fun-loving surfer guys... watch the VH1 |
| special "Endless Harmony" and discover the Beach Boys. |
| David Wildstrom |

Thomas Aaron Insel

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
dwil...@mit.edu (David J Wildstrom) writes:

> In article <Pine.SGI.3.95L.98082...@ebor.york.ac.uk>,
> Den of Iniquity <dms...@york.ac.uk> wrote:
> >So. How do Americans pronounce 'scone'? (The most contentious word in the
> >British language.)

> BIS-ket. :-)

The real confusion comes in the way we pronounce 'biscuit'...

ObIF: I knew that I'd been talking to too many ferners when I put
"torch" as a synonym for a flashlight in the game that I'm writing
that none of you are ever going to play because you'll be busy being
dead when it's finally finished.

Tom

tv's Spatch

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
On 26 Aug 1998 04:41:50 GMT, dwil...@mit.edu (David J Wildstrom)
wrote:

>In article <Pine.SGI.3.95L.98082...@ebor.york.ac.uk>,
>Den of Iniquity <dms...@york.ac.uk> wrote:

>>On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Iain Merrick wrote:
>>
>>>Den of Iniquity wrote:
>>Haddaway!
>
>Gesundheit.

Yes?

--
der spatchel reading, mass 01867
resident cranky fovea.retina.net 4000
"I feel like we're in a Noel Coward play.
Someone should be making martinis." - Woody Allen

Joe Mason

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <6rvt29$93h$1...@neko.syix.com>, <pke...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Strangly, I pronounce JOE MASON as JOE DOT MASON due to ...
>
>>I pronounce CARDINAL TEULBACHS just for fun.
>
>... his old sig :-) It done burned into my withered brain :-)

Oh, yeah. I miss that. Clyde "Fred" Slonniker. Heh.

Remind me again - what did I have in there? I've modestly blocked it out.

Jonadab the Unsightly One

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Blake Hyde <ou...@pbaarpgh.arg> wrote in article
<q2IE1.373$W11.3...@ralph.vnet.net>...

> On Tue, 25 Aug 1998 15:43:33 +0100, co...@argonet.co.uk (Joyce Haslam)
dared to utter:
> >In article <Pine.SGI.3.95L.98082...@ebor.york.ac.uk>,
> > Den of Iniquity <dms...@york.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> So. How do Americans pronounce 'scone'? (The most contentious word in
the
> >> British language.)
> >
> >We don't. Why should we?
>
> What, pray tell, is a 'scone?' the dictionary says a 'flat cake.' Hmm.
> Never heard of it. Cornbread, yes. Tortillas, yes. Scones, no.

Oh, come now. You have heard of scones.

They are mentioned in the most annoying poem in the universe.

Stale scones.

It's that poem about the girl who wouldn't take the garbage out
so it piled up to the sky. I forget the title.

But I have absolutely *no* idea what a scone is. Perhaps
I should consult my OED...

--
Dyslexic email address: ten.thgirb@badanoj

Jonadab the Unsightly One

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98

pke...@hotmail.com wrote in article <6rvt29$93h$1...@neko.syix.com>...

> > From: foxg...@globalserve.net (Drone)
>
> >I pronounce JOE MASON with a fifties cop-show drawl.
>
> Strangly, I pronounce JOE MASON as JOE DOT MASON due to ...

I pronounce "." with either zero or three[1] syllables.

It is partly because I come from the world of full ASCII and
the (raised) dot is a distinct character (250 decimal) from the
period (046 decimal). (The dot serves a number of functions,
including ASCII-only starfields and chemical notation involving
hygroscopic materiels -- and sometimes simple multiplication,
as well, if the asterisk has another meaning and parentheses are
not appropriate for whatever reason.)

So I usually say something like "Foo at whatever com", assuming
the period. If the period comes at an unobvious place then
I pronounce it. Three syllables, but I say it. Call me odd.

[1] /PEER-ee-'d/ , with ' being the schwa.

Jonadab the Unsightly One

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98

Thomas Aaron Insel <tin...@jaka.ece.uiuc.edu> wrote in article
<tinsel.9...@jaka.ece.uiuc.edu>...

> dwil...@mit.edu (David J Wildstrom) writes:
>
> > In article <Pine.SGI.3.95L.98082...@ebor.york.ac.uk>,
> > Den of Iniquity <dms...@york.ac.uk> wrote:
> > >So. How do Americans pronounce 'scone'? (The most contentious word in
the
> > >British language.)
>
> > BIS-ket. :-)
>
> The real confusion comes in the way we pronounce 'biscuit'...

/COOK-ee/

Jonadab the Unsightly One

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Jonadab the Unsightly One <jon...@zerospam.com> wrote in article
<01bdd0c8$688c3e60$08118fd1@jonadab>...

> > The real confusion comes in the way we pronounce 'biscuit'...
>
> /COOK-ee/

(This made for an interesting reaction the first time
I saw the chocolate biscuit in Curses.)

Fred M. Sloniker

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
On Wed, 26 Aug 1998 05:50:44 GMT, jcm...@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca
(Joe Mason) wrote:

>Oh, yeah. I miss that. Clyde "Fred" Slonniker. Heh.

That's 'Sloniker', and that was me. (I was using my brother's account
at the time, which is why it was originally attributed to him. When I
piped up with a correction, he changed it. Sort of.)

I don't recall the exact text of my bit... something to do with giving
the Generic Adventurer directions to the bathroom, and having to
rephrase them in Generic Adventurer language instead of Real Person
language ("South twice, then east." "Ah.") Based on the house I was
living in at the time, in fact.

Just some more random irrelevance from someone staying up past his
bedtime. (:3

Adam C. Emerson

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
theodore hwa <hwat...@leland.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
: While we're on this topic, what about GRUE? Does anyone else besides me
: like to pronounce this with two syllables (guh-roo)? I think it sounds
: more 'sinister' than the one-syllable version. In fact I never thought to
: pronounce it any way other than guh-roo until I played one of the recent
: Zork games with sound.

: Ted

__
Webster's New World Dictionary (the red one) says it's groo.

--
Adam C. Emerson aeme...@atdot.org
GPG fingerprint = 7967 DD2E F340 9928 0D67 308F 66E8 15EB EC21 7DBB

Laurel Halbany

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98

>the

With a long "O" if you're talking about the breakfast item.

Den of Iniquity

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Blake Hyde wrote:
>What, pray tell, is a 'scone?' the dictionary says a 'flat cake.' Hmm.
>Never heard of it. Cornbread, yes. Tortillas, yes. Scones, no.

OK. Scones: difficult to describe in terms of something else. Maybe I
should dig up a recipe so people can try them. Basically it's a fairly
dense cake/bread thing, made with wheat-flour, I'm sure, often containing
sultanas, like a thick raisin-bread-thing, small and flat, cooked
traditionally on a griddle and served cut in half horizontally and filled
with whipped cream and fine strawberry jam (mmm-mmmm!). Or just butter
them. Over here it's the ideal accompaniment for your Earl Grey at
afternoon tea and that would be a consummately English thing to do. If you
go to an English tea-shoppe they're almost guaranteed to be on the menu
and a good cream scone is heavenly. Honestly. :) Pronounced 'skon' by
Lancastrians like me and other northerners, 'skoan' by most southeners,
the pronunciation of the word, along with 'bath' is a favourite part of
every 'north-south divide' argument that students in universities all over
the country regularly have. (Take my word for it, the north of England is
better.)

This Scribner-Bantam I have beside me calls a scone (exclusively 'skoan')
a thick batter cake of barley, oatmeal or wheat, which suggests to me that
they're not-the-same-thing in the States.

Trying to head this one off in the pass, as it were, biscuits are all of
those flat, crisp cake things, including the sandwich-type ones with a
cream filling, the mass-produced chocolate-covered things that kids like
to smear all over their faces, some small flat sponge-things, even and
sometimes the crisp, not so sweet things you put cheese on. Cookies, over
here, are specifically a certain type of biscuit, usually with chocolate
chips, which most strongly resemble soft cookies that have been left out
and gone hard. A pale imitation compared to a proper American soft cookie.
(Yum!)

--
Den

Matthew T. Russotto

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <01bdd0c7$0de199c0$08118fd1@jonadab>,

Jonadab the Unsightly One <jon...@zerospam.com> wrote:
}
}It is partly because I come from the world of full ASCII and
}the (raised) dot is a distinct character (250 decimal) from the
}period (046 decimal).

I don't know where you come from (some wierd APL-world?), but in my
world, ASCII is a 7-bit code...
--
Matthew T. Russotto russ...@pond.com
of justice is no virtue."

Doeadeer3

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
I think talking about food is grossly unfair (makes me hungry).

Never seen scones such as you describe. But I would pronounce it like stone.

Biscuits here are roundish, bread items. Risen with baking powder or yeast.
People often butter them.

Cookies are flat, round, contain sugar and come in all varieties: chocolate
chip, raisin oatmeal, peanut butter, sandwich (with cream inside, like oreos),
etc. (How to eat an orea is a whole other discussion.)

But I think most of us know all that by now (although I was surprised at the
description of a scone having cream, thought it was more like a biscuit). It
sounds like a doughnut without a hole.

But doughnuts are often glazed, i.e., drizzled with melted sugar or covered
with powdered sugar. You didn't include that in your description.

I like jelly doughnuts, no hole, covered with powdered sugar with jelly inside.
(A few special doughnuts don't have holes.) Would that be similar to a skoan?

Doe :-) (Preferred oreo eating method: take it apart, scrape the cream off
with your teeth, eat it, then eat the outside chocolate cookies one at a time.)

Gotta get a doughnut on the way to work my stomach is grumbling.

AFranzman

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
>While we're on this topic, what about GRUE? Does anyone else besides me
>like to pronounce this with two syllables (guh-roo)? I think it sounds
>more 'sinister' than the one-syllable version. In fact I never thought to
>pronounce it any way other than guh-roo until I played one of the recent
>Zork games with sound.

Sinister??? It sounds comical to me, being killed by a lurking "Guru."
{Pronounced gu-ROO, which sounds enough like guh-roo to conjure the appropriate
(inapproriate?) image...}

-Alan "A.J." Franzman

John Elliott

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
d...@cs.wisc.edu (Dan Shiovitz) wrote:
>In article <35E2A0...@cs.york.ac.uk>,
>Iain Merrick <i...@cs.york.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>I'm fairly sure I saw the phrase "gives me a grue" in a book by
>Dorothy Sayers, presumably meaning something like "creeps me out".

"It gave me the grues, too."

It's in _The_Nine_Tailors_, and I think your interpretation is fairly
accurate.

------------- http://www.seasip.demon.co.uk/index.html --------------------
John Elliott |BLOODNOK: "But why have you got such a long face?"
|SEAGOON: "Heavy dentures, Sir!" - The Goon Show
:-------------------------------------------------------------------------)

J. Robinson Wheeler

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Doeadeer3 wrote:

> Never seen scones such as you describe. But I would pronounce it like stone.
>

> But I think most of us know all that by now (although I was surprised at the
> description of a scone having cream, thought it was more like a biscuit). It
> sounds like a doughnut without a hole.

A proper scone (and I'm not claiming to have seen a proper one, only the
American version, but even it) is nothing like a donut. It's a ... well,
it was already described thoroughly.

I had never heard of scones until I was in 10th grade (hey, let's not
get into educational systems and O-levels and SATs and whatever) -- by
that I mean I was about 15 years old. One of my friends was eating
some kind of yellow bready thing with raisins in it, and I said, "What's
that?" and he said, "It's a scone" (skoan). "A what?" I said. My 10th
grade friend who was eating the scone for lunch was from Lockhart, TX,
notably home of some of the best beef barbeque in Texas. Where he got
the scone from I have no idea.

Well, ten years later, actually thirteen, the coffee shop I frequent
here in Austin, TX, not far from where I went to school in 10th grade,
sells several varieties of scones. (Although, they use artificial
butter substitutes in baking them, and they come out too dry to be
tasty or edible). They've got cranberry and raisin and blueberry
varieties, as well as an assortment of teas (Earl Grey is among them).
I don't know about other places, but this tells me that (some) residents
of the States have a reasonable chance of running into scones these days.

--
J. Robinson Wheeler
whe...@jump.net http://www.jump.net/~wheeler/jrw/home.html

Darin Johnson

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
tin...@jaka.ece.uiuc.edu (Thomas Aaron Insel) writes:

> ObIF: I knew that I'd been talking to too many ferners when I put
> "torch" as a synonym for a flashlight in the game that I'm writing
> that none of you are ever going to play because you'll be busy being
> dead when it's finally finished.

I always wonder if it's safe to take a torch into a gas filled room or not.

--
Darin Johnson
da...@usa.net.delete_me

J. Robinson Wheeler

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Den of Iniquity wrote:

> OK. Scones: [...] Pronounced 'skon' by

> Lancastrians like me and other northerners, 'skoan' by most southeners,
> the pronunciation of the word, along with 'bath' is a favourite part of
> every 'north-south divide' argument that students in universities all over
> the country regularly have. (Take my word for it, the north of England is
> better.)

In the "Lumberjack Song," the members of Monty Python (and the Fred
Tomlinson Singers) definitely sing "On Wednesdays we go shopping, and
have buttered skons for tea." I don't think I ever noticed before that
they pronounced it like that. Not consciously, anyway. On the occasions
when a casual rendition of this song breaks out in a room, from ear-
memory I probably sang something leaning more towards 'skons' than
'skones'...

So, how is 'bath' pronounced?

Laurel Halbany

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
On Wed, 26 Aug 1998 14:50:11 -0500, "J. Robinson Wheeler"
<whe...@jump.net> wrote:

>I don't know about other places, but this tells me that (some) residents
>of the States have a reasonable chance of running into scones these days.

Move to the Pacific Northwest, land of coffeeshops, and you'll be up
to your eyeballs in them. Here, at least, they are vaguely triangular
baked goods.

Andrew Plotkin

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98

They're in east coast fancy coffeeshops too. I still prefer big cookies or
cakes, except for scones I make myself.

Zarf's Scone Recipe, and I apologize for the American measurements:

2 cups flour (use 25% whole wheat if you're in that kind of mood)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup sour cream (or yogurt if you're self-conscious)
1/8 cup sugar
Flavorings

Preheat oven to 400. Mix wet and dry ingredients separately. (Remember,
sugar is a wet ingredient, and so are cinnamon and nutmeg and so on.)
Combine quickly and thoroughly. Put the lump on a greased tray, flatten,
cut into wedges and separate them a little. Bake 20 minutes.

I usually use cinnamon and raisins. The Secret Ingredient from my earlier
shortbread post is a keen idea too. I know you can sprinkle the top with
lemon juice and sugar, but I've never gotten it to work quite right.

--Z

borogoves..."

Erik Max Francis

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Adam J. Thornton wrote:

> Gruen.

I believe the plural used in the games was _grues_, no?

--
Erik Max Francis / email m...@alcyone.com / whois mf303 / icq 16063900
Alcyone Systems / irc maxxon (efnet) / finger m...@sade.alcyone.com
San Jose, CA / languages En, Eo / web http://www.alcyone.com/max/
USA / icbm 37 20 07 N 121 53 38 W / &tSftDotIotE
\
/ You win the victory when you yield to friends.
/ Sophocles

Thomas Aaron Insel

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
erky...@netcom.com (Andrew Plotkin) writes:

> Zarf's Scone Recipe, and I apologize for the American measurements:

Always remember, they're not American measurements. They're English
measurements. Even if we're the only ones stuck with using them, we
shouldn't have to take all of the blame...

Tom

Todd Baumann-Fern

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Now, is this a normal Oreo or a Double Stuff Oreo?

Doeadeer3 wrote:

> I think talking about food is grossly unfair (makes me hungry).
>

> Never seen scones such as you describe. But I would pronounce it like stone.
>

> Biscuits here are roundish, bread items. Risen with baking powder or yeast.
> People often butter them.
>
> Cookies are flat, round, contain sugar and come in all varieties: chocolate
> chip, raisin oatmeal, peanut butter, sandwich (with cream inside, like oreos),
> etc. (How to eat an orea is a whole other discussion.)
>

> But I think most of us know all that by now (although I was surprised at the
> description of a scone having cream, thought it was more like a biscuit). It
> sounds like a doughnut without a hole.

Joe Mason

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <Pine.SGI.3.95L.98082...@ebor.york.ac.uk>,
Den of Iniquity <dms...@york.ac.uk> wrote:
>On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Blake Hyde wrote:
>>What, pray tell, is a 'scone?' the dictionary says a 'flat cake.' Hmm.
>>Never heard of it. Cornbread, yes. Tortillas, yes. Scones, no.

Cornbread? Tortillas? Somehow I don't associate those with "cakes" at all.

>OK. Scones: difficult to describe in terms of something else. Maybe I
>should dig up a recipe so people can try them. Basically it's a fairly
>dense cake/bread thing, made with wheat-flour, I'm sure, often containing
>sultanas, like a thick raisin-bread-thing, small and flat, cooked
>traditionally on a griddle and served cut in half horizontally and filled
>with whipped cream and fine strawberry jam (mmm-mmmm!). Or just butter
>them. Over here it's the ideal accompaniment for your Earl Grey at
>afternoon tea and that would be a consummately English thing to do. If you
>go to an English tea-shoppe they're almost guaranteed to be on the menu
>and a good cream scone is heavenly. Honestly. :) Pronounced 'skon' by

Would this be similar to what I've seen sold in donut shops here in Canada as
a "tea biscuit"?

(Which is almost entirely unlike my mother's homemade tea biscuits, which are
I've never seen duplicated elsewhere. There is a slight family resemblance,
thought.)

Darin Johnson

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
jcm...@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca (Joe Mason) writes:

> Would this be similar to what I've seen sold in donut shops here in Canada as
> a "tea biscuit"?

Yep, tea biscuits are cookies in the US (though called tea biscuits to
distinguish them from all the other varieties), and biscuits in the UK.

A biscuit in the US has many varieties, but most are breakfast foods.
Biscuits made by dropping globs batter onto a cooking sheet (ie,
buttermilk biscuits), look like small scones. Or at least, they look
like a small version of US style scones. They aren't as soft and
flaky as biscuits though, and tend to be huge lead weights in the
stomach after eating them. You see them in yuppie trendy coffee shops.

(I don't drink coffee, and the whole concept of a trendy place to be
seen and buy $2 cups of coffee with $1 biscotti all served by an
uncaring "really I'm an artist" waiter with more ear and nose rings
than my shower curtain seems bizarre.)

But, are US style scones anything like UK scones? I always rhymed
them with stone, unless I was singing the lumberjack song.

--
Darin Johnson
da...@usa.net.delete_me

Darin Johnson

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
"Jonadab the Unsightly One" <jon...@zerospam.com> writes:

> PC world. IBM compatible. DOS. BASIC. That sort of thing.
> ASCII-graphics. Framing characters. Greek letters. Integration
> symbols. The degree symbol. The upside-down question mark.
> All parts of 8-bit ASCII, the chart for which is printed in the appendix
> of every textbook and manual ever written related to the PC.

They may *call* it ASCII, but it ain't. The PC was the only computer
that did this, and it's always been a headache. Then there's
ansi.sys, which corrects this mess so you can play Zork. The PC is
just too dogmatic about being compatible with the 1981 version of
itself, rather than being compatible with the rest of the world.

--
Darin Johnson
da...@usa.net.delete_me

Erik Max Francis

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Darin Johnson wrote:

> They may *call* it ASCII, but it ain't. The PC was the only computer
> that did this, and it's always been a headache. Then there's
> ansi.sys, which corrects this mess so you can play Zork. The PC is
> just too dogmatic about being compatible with the 1981 version of
> itself, rather than being compatible with the rest of the world.

Any eight-bit characters are by definition not ASCII. The ASCII
character set only defines seven-bit codes.

Erik Max Francis

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Adam J. Thornton wrote:

> Yeah, but "gruen" is funnier.

So is _syzygy_, but I still don't think that's the plural for _grue_.

Thomas Aaron Insel

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Darin Johnson <da...@usa.net.removethis> writes:

It's not really that safe either way, is it?

Tom

Jonadab the Unsightly One

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98

Den of Iniquity <dms...@york.ac.uk> wrote in article
<Pine.SGI.3.95L.98082...@ebor.york.ac.uk>...

> OK. Scones:

[Thank you. I now have a *much* better idea what a scone actually is.]

> This Scribner-Bantam I have beside me calls a scone (exclusively 'skoan')
> a thick batter cake of barley, oatmeal or wheat, which suggests to me
that
> they're not-the-same-thing in the States.

Do they *exist* in the states? I have never seen one.

> Trying to head this one off in the pass, as it were, biscuits are all of
> those flat, crisp cake things, including the sandwich-type ones with a
> cream filling, the mass-produced chocolate-covered things that kids like
> to smear all over their faces, some small flat sponge-things, even and
> sometimes the crisp, not so sweet things you put cheese on. Cookies, over
> here, are specifically a certain type of biscuit, usually with chocolate
> chips, which most strongly resemble soft cookies that have been left out
> and gone hard. A pale imitation compared to a proper American soft
cookie.
> (Yum!)

So, what do you call the thing we call biscuits?

(Biscuits, here, are made from dough (white flour and buttermilk and other
stuff). They are some variation of round or square, anywhere from one
to four inches high and anywhere from two to four inches across. They
are baked in an oven and are golden-brown on the top and white inside.

They may be eaten with butter, jam, or any number of other topings,
but most frequently they are served broken up with some sort of
gravy or stew over top. Every restaurant chicken dinner comes with
one, and McDonald's serves sandwiches with them (with sausage and/or
egg or with bacon, egg, and cheese). Do you have anything like this?
What do you call them?

Jonadab the Unsightly One

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Matthew T. Russotto <russ...@wanda.vf.pond.com> wrote in article

> I don't know where you come from (some wierd APL-world?), but in my
> world, ASCII is a 7-bit code...

PC world. IBM compatible. DOS. BASIC. That sort of thing.

ASCII-graphics. Framing characters. Greek letters. Integration
symbols. The degree symbol. The upside-down question mark.
All parts of 8-bit ASCII, the chart for which is printed in the appendix
of every textbook and manual ever written related to the PC.

Font? Isn't that a Print Shop thing?

Windows '95 has essentially forsaken it in favour of the more
universal 7-bit ASCII (HALFSCII) and TrueType.

Matthew T. Russotto

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
In article <01bdd138$ed985880$LocalHost@jonadab>,

Jonadab the Unsightly One <jon...@zerospam.com> wrote:
}Matthew T. Russotto <russ...@wanda.vf.pond.com> wrote in article
}
}> I don't know where you come from (some wierd APL-world?), but in my
}> world, ASCII is a 7-bit code...
}
}PC world. IBM compatible. DOS. BASIC. That sort of thing.

Ahh. A strange land indeed. That stuff above $7f ain't ASCII. It's
just the IBM-PC character set.

Doeadeer3

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Iniquity <dms...@york.ac.uk> writes:

>cooked traditionally on a griddle

Okay, reread your decription. In the U.S., the use of griddles is out of favor
(except for pancakes, hamburgers in fast food joints and the South) because of
the use of fat to grease the griddle (and because it cooks the oil into the
food). We are very into non-fat or low-fat these days. So griddles are not used
much.

So our "baked goods" are usually baked, which means most scones here would
probably be baked (even those in coffee shops), ergo, unlike your scones.

Doe :-)

Adam J. Thornton

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
In article <35E466F3...@jump.net>,

J. Robinson Wheeler <whe...@jump.net> wrote:
>that?" and he said, "It's a scone" (skoan). "A what?" I said. My 10th
>grade friend who was eating the scone for lunch was from Lockhart, TX,
>notably home of some of the best beef barbeque in Texas. Where he got
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Where?

In Austin, I like Iron Works, but even better is taking a little drive to
Coupland to the Coupland Inn when it's open. DAMN that's fine food.

Adam
--
ad...@princeton.edu
"There's a border to somewhere waiting, and a tank full of time." - J. Steinman

Jonadab the Unsightly One

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
> [Thank you. I now have a *much* better idea what a scone actually is.]

Incidentally, upon further consideration, they
sound a bit like pancakes.

Adam J. Thornton

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
In article <35E49712...@alcyone.com>,

Erik Max Francis <m...@alcyone.com> wrote:
>Adam J. Thornton wrote:
>> Gruen.
>I believe the plural used in the games was _grues_, no?

Yeah, but "gruen" is funnier.

Adam

Mark J Musante

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
J. Robinson Wheeler (whe...@jump.net) wrote:
> So, how is 'bath' pronounced?

Exactly th way it's spellted.

-=- Mark -=-

Andrew Plotkin

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98

Maybe twenty years ago this was true. At this point, we *should* take all
the blame. I was thinking about that very point when I decided to use that
term in that post.

On the other hand, I've heard the expression "Bake in a #2 oven" from the
UK...

Doeadeer3

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
In article <35E48ABA...@midstate.tds.net>, Todd Baumann-Fern
<tf...@midstate.tds.net> writes:

>Now, is this a normal Oreo or a Double Stuff Oreo?

Boy, you make it tough.

But you are probably a licker, not a scraper, anyway.

Doeadeer3

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
People who need hints are the stuckest people in the world...

Can't get no s-a-t-i-s-f-a-c-t-i-o-n
Without that *** You have won *** reaction.

Hints included or for rent,
Don't even cost 50 cents.
No ftp, no rgif, no email,
I ain't got no big phone bill.

Difficult puzzle wider than a mile,
I'm solving you in style, someday.
Dream maker, heart breaker,
Where ever you're going
I'm really trying to go your way.
Then it's off to see the rest of the game,
There's such a lot of game to see,
If I can get pass you and be free.

You say eksizzy, I say xyzzy,
You say groo, I say grew,
You say walkthru, I say hints,
Let's call the whole raif thread off.

Doe :-) Sorry, not that good at this.

(people, satisfaction, trailer for sale or rent,
moon river, let's call the whole thing off)

Todd Baumann-Fern

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Hehe. I needed a good laugh. I'm holding back the obvious comments. ;-}

Doeadeer3 wrote:

> In article <35E48ABA...@midstate.tds.net>, Todd Baumann-Fern
> <tf...@midstate.tds.net> writes:
>
> >Now, is this a normal Oreo or a Double Stuff Oreo?
>
> Boy, you make it tough.
>
> But you are probably a licker, not a scraper, anyway.
>
> Doe :-)

Iain Merrick

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Doeadeer3 wrote:

[...]

> Okay, reread your decription. In the U.S., the use of griddles is out of favor
> (except for pancakes, hamburgers in fast food joints and the South) because of
> the use of fat to grease the griddle (and because it cooks the oil into the
> food). We are very into non-fat or low-fat these days. So griddles are not used
> much.

To digress slightly... in contrast, Scotland is the home of the
deep-fried pizza. You can even get deep-fried Mars Bars nowadays,
apparently.

Coincidentally, the average life expectancy is slightly lower there as
well.

David Given

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
In article <01bdd160$e266dea0$LocalHost@jonadab>,

Jonadab the Unsightly One <jon...@zerospam.com> wrote:
>> [Thank you. I now have a *much* better idea what a scone actually is.]
>
>Incidentally, upon further consideration, they
>sound a bit like pancakes.

Ah! *You're* thinking of drop scones. (Whipped batter with self-raising
agents, pour into pan. You end up with a sort of doughy, bready thing 7mm
thick and anything from 5cm to 15cm wide. Good with butter and/or jam, and
probably whipped cream, too.) (BTW, this is the nomenclature used from my
bit of Scotland.)

Just to add another note of confusion to the discussion, Scone, the place
(near Perth) is pronounced skoon.

--
+- David Given ----------------+
| Work: d...@tao.co.uk | The less a politician amounts to,
| Play: dgi...@iname.com | the more he loves the flag.
+- http://wiredsoc.ml.org/~dg -+

David Given

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
In article <199808270140...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,

Doeadeer3 <doea...@aol.com> wrote:
[...]
>Okay, reread your decription. In the U.S., the use of griddles is out of favor
>(except for pancakes, hamburgers in fast food joints and the South) because of
>the use of fat to grease the griddle (and because it cooks the oil into the
>food). We are very into non-fat or low-fat these days. So griddles are not used
>much.

You don't need fat to cook with a griddle. The traditional Scottish
bannock --- a sort of unleavened bread; think of a soft oatcake, made with
wheat flour --- is cooked on a floured griddle with no fat.

David Given

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
In article <35e4e...@newshost.pcug.org.au>,
Julian Fleetwood <mfle...@pcug.org.au> wrote:
>Susan wrote in message <35e29990...@news.earthlink.net>...
>>>: Alas, Crowther was responsible for XYZZY and PLUGH. I think I remember
>>>: him saying that he'd generated them at random, but I don't remember how
>>>: (or even if) he pronounced them.
>
>> PLOVER - Plover - just the way it sounds.
>
>I recall reading somewhere that the proper pronunciation uses the same OV
>sound as in GLOVE.

Certainly, that's how the bird's pronounced.

(And for the bonus prize, tell me how Cholmondeley is pronounced...)

David Given

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
In article <tvyyasb...@cn1.connectnet.com>,
Darin Johnson <da...@usa.net.removethis> wrote:

>"Jonadab the Unsightly One" <jon...@zerospam.com> writes:
>
>> PC world. IBM compatible. DOS. BASIC. That sort of thing.
>> ASCII-graphics. Framing characters. Greek letters. Integration
>> symbols. The degree symbol. The upside-down question mark.
>> All parts of 8-bit ASCII, the chart for which is printed in the appendix
>> of every textbook and manual ever written related to the PC.
>
>They may *call* it ASCII, but it ain't. The PC was the only computer
>that did this, and it's always been a headache. Then there's
>ansi.sys, which corrects this mess so you can play Zork. The PC is
>just too dogmatic about being compatible with the 1981 version of
>itself, rather than being compatible with the rest of the world.

About the most standard thing these days is the character set used by
Usenet; ISO something-something-something, which people commonly refer to
as Latin 1.

This contains all the useful characters like £ (pound sign; and I'm not
referring to #, which is a hash sign), and accented characters, and
currency, and so on. You can tell someone with a non-compliant newsreader
when they start asking what you're talking about. (Usually on a Mac for
some reason.)

Andrew Plotkin

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
David Given (dg@) wrote:
> In article <tvyyasb...@cn1.connectnet.com>,
> Darin Johnson <da...@usa.net.removethis> wrote:
> >"Jonadab the Unsightly One" <jon...@zerospam.com> writes:
> >
> >> PC world. IBM compatible. DOS. BASIC. That sort of thing.
> >> ASCII-graphics. Framing characters. Greek letters. Integration
> >> symbols. The degree symbol. The upside-down question mark.
> >> All parts of 8-bit ASCII, the chart for which is printed in the appendix
> >> of every textbook and manual ever written related to the PC.
> >
> >They may *call* it ASCII, but it ain't. The PC was the only computer
> >that did this, and it's always been a headache. Then there's
> >ansi.sys, which corrects this mess so you can play Zork. The PC is
> >just too dogmatic about being compatible with the 1981 version of
> >itself, rather than being compatible with the rest of the world.

> About the most standard thing these days is the character set used by
> Usenet; ISO something-something-something, which people commonly refer to
> as Latin 1.

ISO 8859. Also Unicode -- at least, the 8-bit range of Unicode matches
8859, just as the 7-bit range of both match ASCII.

> This contains all the useful characters like £ (pound sign; and I'm not
> referring to #, which is a hash sign), and accented characters, and
> currency, and so on. You can tell someone with a non-compliant newsreader
> when they start asking what you're talking about. (Usually on a Mac for
> some reason.)

Even Mac terminal programs have an "8859" option these days.

Bruce Hollebone

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
On 26 Aug 98 23:59:15 GMT, tin...@jaka.ece.uiuc.edu (Thomas Aaron Insel)
staggered way off topic and wrote:

>Always remember, they're not American measurements. They're English
>measurements. Even if we're the only ones stuck with using them, we
>shouldn't have to take all of the blame...

No, the measurements are U.S.-defined and have been since 1812, when England
passed the Imperial Weights and Measures Act. For example, a U.S. gallon is
smaller than an Imperial one (the fraction is 0.832 675 according to my
references). Further, an Imperial quart has 20 ounces to an American 16.
The ounces are similar but not exactly the same, and so on. This makes importing
cookbooks a real pain, let me tell you.

This arose because the U.S. settled on the wine barrel as their volume standard
and England on a dry-goods barrel. Note that to this day, the U.S. uses TWO
(large) volume standards, one for dry goods and one for liquids.

What it comes down to is that standards are another word for opinions. Everyone
has to have one (or two in the case of the U.S.).

Kind Regards,
Bruce Hollebone: hollebon (at) cyerbus.ca

Den of Iniquity

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, J. Robinson Wheeler wrote:

[The lumberjack song. Good scone reference!]

>So, how is 'bath' pronounced?

Much like scone in that you use a short 'a' in the north, a longer 'ah' in
south.
--
Den

Den of Iniquity

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Andrew Plotkin wrote:

>Thomas Aaron Insel (tin...@jaka.ece.uiuc.edu) wrote:
>> erky...@netcom.com (Andrew Plotkin) writes:
>> > Zarf's Scone Recipe, and I apologize for the American measurements:

>> Always remember, they're not American measurements. They're English
>

>Maybe twenty years ago this was true. At this point, we *should* take all
>the blame. I was thinking about that very point when I decided to use that
>term in that post.

Actually, although pounds and ounces, feet and inches are still very much
current in Britain, from what I can tell, measuring damn near everything
in 'cups' is not something I've come across much except in American
recipes. So they are American measurements, see?

>On the other hand, I've heard the expression "Bake in a #2 oven" from the
>UK...

Good old gas mark 2. Um, what was that then, a meringue? Gas 2 is very low
temperature. I can't stand all these Celsius displays. Brought up on the
gas mark series.

--
Den

Matthew T. Russotto

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
In article <904224633.7062.0...@news.demon.co.uk>,

David Given <dg@> wrote:
}In article <35e4e...@newshost.pcug.org.au>,
}Julian Fleetwood <mfle...@pcug.org.au> wrote:
}>Susan wrote in message <35e29990...@news.earthlink.net>...
}>>>: Alas, Crowther was responsible for XYZZY and PLUGH. I think I remember
}>>>: him saying that he'd generated them at random, but I don't remember how
}>>>: (or even if) he pronounced them.
}>
}>> PLOVER - Plover - just the way it sounds.
}>
}>I recall reading somewhere that the proper pronunciation uses the same OV
}>sound as in GLOVE.
}
}Certainly, that's how the bird's pronounced.
}
}(And for the bonus prize, tell me how Cholmondeley is pronounced...)

Sort of like Worcester and Taliafero, only different. Apocryphally
because the English won't pronounce the "monde" because that's French.

Simon 'tufty' Stapleton

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
dg@ (David Given) writes:

> (And for the bonus prize, tell me how Cholmondeley is pronounced...)

"Chumlee" HTH HAND

Simon
--
_______
| ----- | Biased output from the demented brain of
||MacOS|| Simon Stapleton.
|| NOW ||
| ----- | sstaple AT liffe DoT com
| -+-.| (if you can't figure it out...)
|洵洵洵洱
-------

Den of Iniquity

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
On 26 Aug 1998, Doeadeer3 wrote:

>Biscuits here are roundish, bread items. Risen with baking powder or yeast.
>People often butter them.

I'm not entirely sure what we'd call such things. The word biscuit comes
from the French, literally 'twice baked'. Is that how they get their name?
'Cos they're nothing like any biscuits I know.

>It sounds like a doughnut without a hole.

Nooo. Doughnuts squidge when you press them - filled ones do, anyway.
Scones are pretty hard. Not quite rock buns, but getting there.

>But doughnuts are often glazed, i.e., drizzled with melted sugar or covered
>with powdered sugar. You didn't include that in your description.

Often very lightly glazed. Very lightly, though. No drizzling allowed.

>I like jelly doughnuts, no hole, covered with powdered sugar with jelly inside.

We eat many more of that kind than the holey doughnuts in this country.
I'm rather partial to cream doughnuts (which are elongated, split down the
middle and filled with whipped cream, resembling an eclair but quite
different).

>(Preferred oreo eating method: take it apart, scrape the cream off
>with your teeth, eat it, then eat the outside chocolate cookies one at a time.)

Preferred oreo eating method: put a number of them in a big plastic
sandwich bag, get out a rolling pin and bash it repeatedly until you just
have big crumbs. Mix with a chilled mixture of an unflavoured custard and
cream. Put in ice-cream maker for half an hour then pop into the freezer
for a few more hours to really harden. Yum. Add a bit of Irish Cream to
that for an exceptional dessert. :)

Mind you, when I eat 'custard creams' I'm a scraper, too.

Oh, this _is_ my kind of thread. :) Shame I can't stay and enjoy it. I'm
off to get some real American soft cookies from Cookie Jar in town.

--
Den

Den of Iniquity

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Iain Merrick wrote:

>To digress slightly... in contrast, Scotland is the home of the
>deep-fried pizza. You can even get deep-fried Mars Bars nowadays,
>apparently.

A friend tells me that battered, deep-fried pineapple rings are common in
chip-shops in Blyth. Not sure I believe it, though. 'Pineapple?' I asked
him. 'Pineapple's a tropical fruit. What's it doing in Blyth?'
(Insert requisite lines about it being carried by African swallows.)

>Coincidentally, the average life expectancy is slightly lower there as
>well.

Something to do with Irn Bru.

--
Den

Allen Garvin

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
In article <35e770e8...@news.cyberus.ca>,
Bruce Hollebone <holl...@cyberus.ca> wrote:

No, the measurements are U.S.-defined and have been since 1812, when
England passed the Imperial Weights and Measures Act. For example,
a U.S. gallon is smaller than an Imperial one (the fraction is 0.832
675 according to my references). Further, an Imperial quart has 20
ounces to an American 16. The ounces are similar but not exactly
the same, and so on. This makes importing cookbooks a real pain,
let me tell you.

And, most annoyingly in the US, when you order a pint of beer you good a
bloody American pint, which, if you're lucky, might be as much as 16 oz, but
might be as low as 14 oz if they serve it in a mixing glass, instead of those
19.2 (american) oz's that an Imperial pint takes up. And no American
equivalent to CAMRA to argue for our money's worth, either.

--
Allen Garvin I think I'll
--------------------------------------------- Let the mystery be
eare...@faeryland.tamu-commerce.edu
http://faeryland.tamu-commerce.edu/~earendil Iris Dement

Daryl McCullough

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98

>> (And for the bonus prize, tell me how Cholmondeley is pronounced...)
>>
>"Chumlee" HTH HAND
>
>Simon

My favorite: How do you pronounce "Featherstonehaugh"?

Daryl McCullough
CoGenTex, Inc.
Ithaca, NY

It's spelled "Luxury Yacht", but it's pronounced
"Throat-Warbler Mangrove".

It is loading more messages.