[Tads 2] Dungeon Digger

Steve Breslin

Oct 22, 2003, 4:56:27 PM10/22/03
The Tads 2 Dungeon Digger is a game designer's tool for "prototyping"
the game world. A game writer can use this tool to create and modify
rooms from within a game-space. In other words, it kind of plays like
a normal game, but it makes the player character capable of changing
the parameters of the game. The result can be saved to a .t-style text
file which can then be used as the basis for further development of
your game.

I'll submit the Tads 2 Dungeon Digger to the archive in a week or so,
but beforehand I'd like to invite betatesters (or the curious) to
scope it out and make comments and recommendations.

It's available at:

http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~breslin/t2dd.t

Thanks for any comments.

John Menschenfresser

Oct 23, 2003, 8:02:50 PM10/23/03
I gave it a whirl at work today. Made a couple rooms, etc. Right off
the bat I can tell that this is going to solve all those problems for
people like me who forget to code return connections from existing
rooms when adding a new one.

It's very simple to use. Dummy proof, I'd say.

Any plans for a T3 version, he asks him knowingly?

Now if I could just get it to put sprinkles on this donut, I'd give it
the Nobel peace prize.

Steve Breslin

Oct 24, 2003, 5:34:47 PM10/24/03
John Menschenfresser writes:

> I gave it a whirl at work today. Made a couple rooms, etc. Right off
> the bat I can tell that this is going to solve all those problems for
> people like me who forget to code return connections from existing
> rooms when adding a new one.

Ya, I think it's useful. I have always found map design to be tedious.

> It's very simple to use. Dummy proof, I'd say.

That's good.

> Any plans for a T3 version, he asks him knowingly?

The Tads-3 version is much cooler, in that you can dynamically create
objects, not just rooms -- and then dynamically assign superclasses to
them. So you can make a new object, then make it a container -- so you
can put stuff in it; then make it a openable -- so you can open and
close it. Etc. You can associate key objects with lockable objects,
etc., etc. In short, it's pretty suave. Also, it's basically finished,
but still needs some grunt work.

Thanks for checking it out. Let me know if you have any other
reactions.

John Menschenfresser

Oct 24, 2003, 7:37:24 PM10/24/03

>The Tads-3 version is much cooler, in that you can dynamically create
>objects, not just rooms -- and then dynamically assign superclasses to
>them. So you can make a new object, then make it a container -- so you
>can put stuff in it; then make it a openable -- so you can open and
>close it. Etc. You can associate key objects with lockable objects,
>etc., etc. In short, it's pretty suave. Also, it's basically finished,
>but still needs some grunt work.
>
>Thanks for checking it out. Let me know if you have any other
>reactions.

Wow! I really look forward to putting the T3 version to good use. If
you need an outside test bunny once you get it up and running, let me
know.