One Room Game Competition 2007 - News

fran...@avventuretestuali.com

Jul 9, 2007, 11:24:19 AM7/9/07
Hi all,
this is to announce that soon will be time for One Room Game
Competition 2007, reserved to one room interactive fiction games
written in any language and programming language.

You find rules on: www.avventuretestuali.com/orgc/orgc-2007-eng

Deadlines are not decided yet: I'll post them in the next weeks.

But authors interested should keep in mind that, approximately, games
should be ready to be submitted by the end of next November (in this
way, december will be the voting period and results will come on
Christmas)

Good luck
f.

Glenn P.,

Jul 9, 2007, 2:00:33 PM7/9/07
On 09-Jul-07 at 8:24am -0700, <fran...@avventuretestuali.com> wrote:

> But authors interested should keep in mind that, approximately, games

> should be ready to be submitted by the end of next November...

Let's be precise: by "next November" you mean "November, 2008"? Because
that is what is usually meant by "NEXT November". If, in fact, what you
actually meant to say was "November, 2007", then the correct wording for
that is "THIS November" (emphasis added), since November hasn't arrived
yet. This isn't trivial: the potential confusion is a period of a whole
year!

<rant>

Frankly, for the sake of clarity, and the avoidance of unnecessary
ambiguity, it is ALWAYS preferable to skip the "this month" or "next
month" bit altogether, and simply state the Jesus-freakin' YEAR. As
in: "Games should be ready to be sumbitted by the end of November,
2008." Now how direct and unambiguous is that? Sheesh! I am truly
sorry to sound so impatient but this is a pet peeve of mine. I mean,
good God! Does anyone even CARE about precise speaking anymore? Did
somebody actually, really need to point this out??? Grrrr!!!

</rant>

-- %%%%%% "Glenn P.," <C128UserD...@FVI.Net> %%%%%%
WARRANTY: This Message Is Guaranteed To Be Anthrax-Free
Or Your Money Back.

:: Take Note Of The Spam Block On My E-Mail Address! ::

dott.Piergiorgio

Jul 9, 2007, 2:15:24 PM7/9/07
Glenn P., ha scritto:

> On 09-Jul-07 at 8:24am -0700, <fran...@avventuretestuali.com> wrote:
>
> > But authors interested should keep in mind that, approximately, games
> > should be ready to be submitted by the end of next November...
>
> Let's be precise: by "next November" you mean "November, 2008"? Because
> that is what is usually meant by "NEXT November". If, in fact, what you
> actually meant to say was "November, 2007", then the correct wording for
> that is "THIS November" (emphasis added), since November hasn't arrived
> yet. This isn't trivial: the potential confusion is a period of a whole
> year!

Dear mr. Glenn,

Mr. Francesco Cordella, as I, are Italian, and English isn't our
mothertongue; I can humbly ask for a better tolerance towards language
errors ? BTW, in Italian, "il prossimo Novembre" (literally,"next
november" ) means the first incoming November, that is, in English,
"this november".

English isn't the only language in the World.... ;)

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.

Francesco Cordella

Jul 9, 2007, 5:23:51 PM7/9/07
Glenn P., ha scritto:

> On 09-Jul-07 at 8:24am -0700, <fran...@avventuretestuali.com> wrote:
>
> > But authors interested should keep in mind that, approximately, games
> > should be ready to be submitted by the end of next November...
>
> Let's be precise: by "next November" you mean "November, 2008"? Because
> that is what is usually meant by "NEXT November". If, in fact, what you
> actually meant to say was "November, 2007", then the correct wording for
> that is "THIS November" (emphasis added), since November hasn't arrived
> yet. This isn't trivial: the potential confusion is a period of a whole
> year!

I mean "THIS November", to be more precise: "November, 2007".

English world: I'm sorry.

f.

Valzi

Jul 10, 2007, 11:52:39 AM7/10/07
On Jul 9, 12:00 pm, "Glenn P.," <C128UserDELETE-T...@FVI.Net> wrote:
>Does anyone even CARE about precise speaking anymore? Did
> somebody actually, really need to point this out??? Grrrr!!!

Actually, the interpretation of "next November" as anything but the
very next November (November 2008) is blatantly incorrect, though it
is not an uncommon misinterpretation at all. I agree though, that
since this mistake is so common, it is best to include the year for
the sake of clarity.

-Michael

Valzi

Jul 10, 2007, 11:53:42 AM7/10/07
On Jul 9, 9:24 am, france...@avventuretestuali.com wrote:
> Hi all,
> this is to announce that soon will be time for One Room Game
> Competition 2007

I hope to have something ready to enter! I love the idea of this
competition, so thanks for putting it on.

-Michael