NPC common phrases / questions

GLYPH

Jun 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/14/98

Hi everybody! I've got some NPCs in my entry for lpsmith's TFEAMTOIFMC
and I'm trying to think of as many common phrases and questions that
should generate a response from the NPC. Gunther has already sent me
some, but I'd like as many as possible.

An example might be:
>Bob, what the heck are you doing here?

Any ideas for more?

Thanks!

- GLYPH

michael...@ey.com

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

In article <358418...@hotmail.com>,

Bob, where did you get that lovely tie?
Bob, would you like a soda or some juice?
Bob, what is that terrible thing growing on your neck?

--M.

Jonadab

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

GLYPH wrote
> Hi everybody! I've got some NPCs in my entry for lpsmith's TFEAMTOIFMC
> and I'm trying to think of as many common phrases and questions that
> should generate a response from the NPC. Gunther has already sent me
> some, but I'd like as many as possible.

Well, first of all, a really complex NPC should have some sensible response
to every possible order the player could give, beyond "Bob has better
things to do."

So
>Bob, die
should not just say that Bob has better things to do. (What it should say
depends on Bob's personality, of course...)

> An example might be:
> >Bob, what the heck are you doing here?
>
> Any ideas for more?

Bob, who are you?
Bob, what do I do now?
Bob, why did you [whatever Bob recently did]?
Bob, what should I ask you?
Bob, can you help me?

--
From 501 uses for peanut butter:
365. Tie-dye your underwear with it.

Send replies to username@isp, where username is jonadab
and isp is bright.net

"I" /\ \I /\ I\ /\ I) /\ I) I) 1 /_ II "I" \I [" "I"
\I \/ I\ II I/ II I) \a I) I\ 1 \/ TT I o I\ [_ I

Mary K. Kuhner

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

In article <01bd9895$98474ac0$LocalHost@jonadab>,
Jonadab <jon...@bright.net> wrote:

>Bob, who are you?
>Bob, what do I do now?
>Bob, why did you [whatever Bob recently did]?
>Bob, what should I ask you?
>Bob, can you help me?

Bob, where is X? (for a wide variety of X's)
Bob, what is X?
Bob, what is this? (object held)
Bob, who is this? (ideally, pointing)

I really liked the way Edifice handled pointing at things.
I tried it on a whim and was *delighted* when it worked.

Mary Kuhner mkku...@genetics.washington.edu

Joe Mason

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

GLYPH wrote:

> An example might be:
> >Bob, what the heck are you doing here?
>
> Any ideas for more?

bob, what is your name?
bob, what is your quest?
bob, what is your favourite colour?
bob, who did your hair?
bob, how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck
wood?
bob, knock knock (to which Bob should reply, "Who's there?")

and, seriously...

bob, hello (I always get VERY annoyed when this isn't implemented!)

Joe

GLYPH

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

Joe Mason wrote:

> GLYPH wrote:
> >
> > An example might be:
> > >Bob, what the heck are you doing here?
> >
> > Any ideas for more?
>
> bob, what is your name?
> bob, what is your quest?
> bob, what is your favourite colour?

These first three are already implemented.

> bob, who did your hair?
> bob, how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck
> wood?
> bob, knock knock (to which Bob should reply, "Who's there?")

Sure.

> and, seriously...
>
> bob, hello (I always get VERY annoyed when this isn't implemented!)

Done.

> Joe

- GLYPH

Greg Ewing

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

Bob, are you a Citizen or a Puppet?

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept, | The address below is not spam-
University of Canterbury, | protected, so as not to waste

David Rush

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

Joe Mason <jcm...@execulink.com> writes:
> GLYPH wrote:
> > An example might be:
> > >Bob, what the heck are you doing here?
> > Any ideas for more?
> bob, what is your name?
> bob, what is your quest?
> bob, what is your favourite colour?

But you forgot:

bob, what is the speed of an unladen swallow?

HTH

david rush

Gunther Schmidl

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

>bob, what is the speed of an unladen swallow?

Bob says, "Which do you mean, an African or an European?"

--
Gunther

Steven Marsh

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

No, that's the interpretor's job.

>BOB, WHAT IS THE SPEED OF AN UNLADEN SWALLOW?

Which swallow do you mean, the African swallow or the European
swallow?

>EUROPEAN

[In other words, Bob, What is the Speed of an Unladen European
Swallow?]

Bob says, "I don't know that."
Bob's is visibly flung off the bridge by an invisible force.

There is a bridge here, currently unguarded.
There is Bob in the river, currently living up to his name.

Steven Marsh
ma...@nettally.com

Kjetil Aavik

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
David Rush wrote:
> bob, what is the speed of an unladen swallow?

What is the *air* speed. Geez.

Bob, are you my uncle?

-Kjetil

George Caswell

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98

For a little _Airplane_ nostalgia...
"Bob, have you ever seen a grown man naked?"

---GEC
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffin' glue..."

Rybread Celsius

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98

> For a little _Airplane_ nostalgia...
> "Bob, have you ever seen a grown man naked?"

nonononononono!

"Bob, tell me, do you like movies about gladiators?"

Jonadab the Unsightly One

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
> > For a little _Airplane_ nostalgia...
> > "Bob, have you ever seen a grown man naked?"

Rybread Celsius wrote

====

>Bob, have you ever been crazy?

"Not as far as I remember..."

>Bob, I was crazy once.

"Really! How interesting."

>Bob, they put me in a rubber room.

"Hmmm."

>Bob, I died in the rubber room.

"Fancy, I'm speaking with a dead man."

>Bob, then they put me in the cold hard ground.

"Hmmm."

>Bob, and there were worms in the cold hard ground.

"Here all the time I thought worms preferred soft ground."

>Bob, I hate worms! Worms make me crazy!

"Do they, now?"

>Bob, have you ever been crazy?

[etc ad nauseam]

Yr. Obd't & Humble Servant,
Jonadab the Unsightly One.

One of the many uses for peanut butter:
26. Inhale deeply...

(Need more uses? see http://members.kconline.com/kerr/pb.htm)

Send replies to username@isp, where username is jonadab
and isp is bright.net

The zerospam.com address works, but you get an ugly confirmation.