Hugo

indigolem

Sep 6, 2000, 10:21:44 PM9/6/00
Why so few posts about it?
I find the manual totally incomprehensible.
Is there some sage advice for understanding it?
There don't even seem to be any examples.
I really hate programing.

---
Indigolem ||[ http://octoberzone.port5.com/ ]||

sg...@my-deja.com

Sep 6, 2000, 11:28:06 PM9/6/00
In article <39b6fb44...@news.evcom.net>,

octob...@yahoo.calm (indigolem) wrote:
> Why so few posts about it?

Probably coz of the reasons you list next :-)

> I find the manual totally incomprehensible.
> Is there some sage advice for understanding it?
> There don't even seem to be any examples.

which all gives a wrong impression of Hugo. Its actually a pretty
logical and friendly system.

If you want to learn it, I suggest reading the manual in conjunction
with the Vault of Hugo example game. Both need to be read in parallel,
I think, if a newcomer is to understand either. Its a clumsy
introduction to the system. Hugo deserves a nice beginners' tutorial.
Someone please write it.

> I really hate programing.

Wow, you're surely in the wrong place then! :-)

Well actually, there are some easier text adventure programming (shhh!
don't mention that word!) systems around that you might like to try
too. Take a look at the rec.arts.int-fiction 'frequently asked
questions' document for some pointers to a few of them
http://www.davidglasser.net/raiffaq/
But I'd also say that Hugo's a good system. It might be exactly what
you want if you give it a bit more of a chance and look at the sample
game as well as the manual. Its at

ftp://ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/programming/hugo/examples/sample.hug

and there's more examples in the directory

ftp://ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/programming/hugo/examples/games/

> ---
> Indigolem ||[ http://octoberzone.port5.com/ ]||

Hope that helps,

regards,
SteveG.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

indigolem

Sep 7, 2000, 1:50:01 AM9/7/00
>> Why so few posts about it?
>
>Probably coz of the reasons you list next :-)

Which leads me to think Inform is worth bearing just for the amount of
feedback the questions get.

>> I really hate programing.
>
>Wow, you're surely in the wrong place then! :-)

Unfortunately, I used to be quite the HHGTTG and Maniac
Mansion et al addict, I've tried creating games like these in
the past, and I'm a writer. What I really hate is not being able
to understand programing. Doing it is the easy part.

The online manual alone is reason enough for me to look into
Inform. The thing is, Hugo just seems, at first glance, to be a
lot more multimedia and Windows compatible. Or is it just me?
Or maybe it's just their screenshots.

Question though: isn't there a Windows compiler for Inform?

---
Indigolem ||[ http://octoberzone.port5.com/ ]||

Kent Tessman

Sep 7, 2000, 2:07:18 AM9/7/00
indigolem wrote:
> Why so few posts about it?
> I find the manual totally incomprehensible.
> Is there some sage advice for understanding it?
> There don't even seem to be any examples.
> I really hate programing.

I cringe whenever I read something like this--I really do. Hugo is (I
hope) too straightforward a language to be unduly crippled by my
tough-to-chew technical writing (as evidenced in the Hugo Manual, which
is really a technical reference).

A new introductory guide to Hugo is in the works (or at least the
planning), but unfortunately I haven't had a lot of time to devote to it
recently. But it's definitely something that is on the way. Of course,
any Hugo programmers that want to help out in that direction, I couldn't
possibly refuse. :)

--Kent Tessman

--
Kent Tessman
The General Coffee Company Film Productions

Stuart Moore

Sep 7, 2000, 6:39:50 AM9/7/00
In article <8p71vk$9ra$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

sg...@my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <39b6fb44...@news.evcom.net>,
> octob...@yahoo.calm (indigolem) wrote:
> > Why so few posts about it?
>
> Probably coz of the reasons you list next :-)
>
> > I find the manual totally incomprehensible.
> > Is there some sage advice for understanding it?
> > There don't even seem to be any examples.
>
> which all gives a wrong impression of Hugo. Its actually a pretty
> logical and friendly system.

With this, I agree. I don't have Hugo installed at the mo, because the
version I did have was out of date, but I do intend to download the
latest 2.x and/or the 3.0 beta.

> If you want to learn it, I suggest reading the manual in conjunction
> with the Vault of Hugo example game. Both need to be read in parallel,
> I think, if a newcomer is to understand either. Its a clumsy
> introduction to the system. Hugo deserves a nice beginners' tutorial.
> Someone please write it.

Something along the lines of the Designer's Manual for Inform, perhaps?

> > I really hate programing.

So? You may grow to like it, or at least tolerate it. Hey, you're
looking at a programming language, so there may be hope yet you'll be
absorbed into our ranks! :-)

> Wow, you're surely in the wrong place then! :-)
>
> Well actually, there are some easier text adventure programming (shhh!
> don't mention that word!) systems around that you might like to try
> too. Take a look at the rec.arts.int-fiction 'frequently asked
> questions' document for some pointers to a few of them
> http://www.davidglasser.net/raiffaq/
> But I'd also say that Hugo's a good system. It might be exactly what
> you want if you give it a bit more of a chance and look at the sample
> game as well as the manual. Its at

AGT/MakeAGX...

Bye,

--
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
AIM: MrSslaxx

Konnrad / T Taylor

Sep 7, 2000, 5:07:51 PM9/7/00
> Much to my disappointment, no one entered a Hugo game in the
toastercomp.
> Are there no Hugo programmers out there who like toasters?

Not liking toasters wouldn't stop you from writing a game about
toasters.

What about the "Psychopathic Toaster Smashing Adventure"?

Of course, the toasters would only be vulnerable at the exact moment
they expelled the toast, because then there'd be cleverly timed puzzles,
each toaster needing a more and more devious plan to destroy it.

TOM

Robb Sherwin

Sep 8, 2000, 1:05:22 AM9/8/00
On 7 Sep 2000 13:49:52 GMT, mmus...@Sun.COM (Mark Musante - Sun
Microsystems) wrote:
>Example source code wouldn't hurt either. There are at least 7 games
>whose source code is available at GMD
> ftp://ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/games/source/hugo/

Along these lines -- what I like about Hugo is the fact that while
there are only a few examples of source code out there, they are
jam-packed and dripping with programmy goodness. Hugo Zork is solid if
you're looking at implementing a cavecrawl, Guilty Bastards is great
if you're looking to do something in "reality," and so on.

(For instance, the other day I needed to put a phone in the ware I'm
working on. I really didn't want to muck around for a half hour
putting together a phone object -- I already did it, badly, in Inform,
after all. It was there in Guilty Bastards and fleshed out quite well.
As I get older I guess I have less and less enthusiam for making
mundane objects. And those mundane objects are pretty much already
done in Hugo and you don't have to look in many files in order to grab
them.)

Hugo really is an elegant language and, in my opinion, the easiest to
pick up of the Big Three. All I really think it needs is a couple more
killer apps and a manual chock-full of example code dealing with
situations we all saw in Infocom games. (Although I do think, as a
technical reference, the current manual works well.)

--Robb

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Robb Sherwin, Fort Collins CO
Reviews From Trotting Krips: http://ifiction.tsx.org
Knight Orc Home Page: www.geocities.com/~knightorc

Mark Musante - Sun Microsystems

Sep 8, 2000, 7:45:45 AM9/8/00
Robb Sherwin (bea...@zombieworld.com) wrote:
> Hugo really is an elegant language and, in my opinion, the easiest to
> pick up of the Big Three. All I really think it needs is a couple more
> killer apps and a manual chock-full of example code dealing with
> situations we all saw in Infocom games. (Although I do think, as a
> technical reference, the current manual works well.)

So how about starting off with a nice little game that has, oh, say,
a toaster in?

-=- Mark -=-

j_mcw...@my-deja.com

Sep 8, 2000, 1:23:00 PM9/8/00
In article <PM000370A...@unknown.unknown.dom>,
Kent Tessman <ke...@remove-to-reply.generalcoffee.com> wrote:

> Hugo is (I
> hope) too straightforward a language to be unduly crippled by my
> tough-to-chew technical writing (as evidenced in the Hugo Manual,
which
> is really a technical reference).

Hugo is strait forward and thats why I use it and love it. I must admit
that the manual is difficult for a nebie to understand. It helped me
alot to read both the Inform and Tads manuals.

> A new introductory guide to Hugo is in the works (or at least the
> planning)

Thats great! Although, as stated by Robb Sherwin, the available source
code is a great resource. I just wish there was more of it : )

j_mcwright

jjkc

Sep 8, 2000, 2:14:45 PM9/8/00
I don't know if this was on purpose,
but your post was a great poem.
-Jim

W. Top Changwatchai

Sep 9, 2000, 2:16:13 AM9/9/00
You know, you're correct, it is a great poem. What economy of
expression! And the first four lines have the rhythm of a
question/answer dialogue, although its meaning subverts the convention.
Perhaps echoing rhetorical or Socratic dialogue? And the last line is
perfect, even down to the spelling. What a wonderful portrait of a
frustrated user.

I say this without sarcasm.

Not even the last sentence is sarcastic.

Not that one either.

Top

PS No, really.

jjkc wrote:

--
W. Top Changwatchai
chngwtch at uiuc dot edu

Jonadab the Unsightly One

Sep 11, 2000, 12:31:02 AM9/11/00
octob...@yahoo.calm (indigolem) wrote:

> Which leads me to think Inform is worth bearing just for the amount of
> feedback the questions get.

There are a lot of us who really like Inform. I won't deny
that most games made with Inform have some real programming, though.

> The online manual alone is reason enough for me to look into
> Inform. The thing is, Hugo just seems, at first glance, to be a
> lot more multimedia and Windows compatible. Or is it just me?
> Or maybe it's just their screenshots.

Hugo is more multimedia-oriented; whether it is still more
multimedia-compatible I'm not sure, but it's geared more
that direction, yes. As far as being more "Windows compatible",
if by that you mean "limited to fewer systems, one of which
is Windows", then, yeah. But Inform works on Windows, as
well as a large, large number of other systems.

> Question though: isn't there a Windows compiler for Inform?

Yes, the Inform compiler is available for Windows.
Look here for links...
http://www.bright.net/~jonadab/if/writewin.htm

I really need to add the Windows port of the biplatform
compiler to the glulx section there... what was that
link again?

--

Forward all spam to u...@ftc.gov

Mark Musante - Sun Microsystems