CreatureComp ?

David Fisher

Aug 21, 2006, 10:55:21 AM8/21/06
A couple of people have mentioned that they would be interested in another
min-comp ... the idea of a general "try out anything you want" competition
didn't go down so well, so how about a CreatureComp ?

The main focus of the game must be some kind of creature. For example:

- the PC is an animal (as in "Ralf" (dog), "A Day For Soft Food" (cat), etc)
- a creature (or creatures) must be trapped and captured by the PC
- the PC has crashed in a remote location and there is Something Out There

Just testing the waters,

David Fisher

quic...@quickfur.ath.cx

Aug 21, 2006, 11:38:07 AM8/21/06
[...]

How about a game where the player *is* an unusual creature? It seems
that a vast majority of games (in general, not just IF) out there has
the player more-or-less playing a human/humanoid/human-like role. I've
always wondered about exploring the idea of playing a creature vastly
different from your conventional adventurer/hero(ine)/anti-hero(ine).

This would, most likely, require an unusual verbal inventory... it might
be interesting to see how people write this in a way that a prospective
player can learn the unusual verbs as part of the story without feeling
it's contrived.

QF

--
They pretend to pay us, and we pretend to work. -- Russian saying

David Fisher

Aug 21, 2006, 12:15:20 PM8/21/06
<quic...@quickfur.ath.cx> wrote in message

> On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 12:55:21AM +1000, David Fisher wrote:
>> A couple of people have mentioned that they would be interested in
>> another min-comp ... the idea of a general "try out anything you want"
>> competition didn't go down so well, so how about a CreatureComp ?
>>
>> The main focus of the game must be some kind of creature. For example:
>>
>> - the PC is an animal (as in "Ralf" (dog), "A Day For Soft Food" (cat),
>> etc)
>> - a creature (or creatures) must be trapped and captured by the PC
>> - the PC has crashed in a remote location and there is Something Out
>> There
> [...]
>
> How about a game where the player *is* an unusual creature?

That would definitely fit inside this competition ...

Are you making a suggestion that this be a requirement ? (I kind of like the
idea of capturing a creature - lots of potential puzzles, and a logical
reason to re-try the same kind of thing over and over until you get it
right).

David Fisher

Taz

Aug 21, 2006, 5:41:53 PM8/21/06

Well, if we want to make it compulsory that'd probably stop noobs like
me entering. I think it's a neat idea, but implementing so many new
verbs, stopping old behaviours, etc, would probably be too hard for me.

quic...@quickfur.ath.cx

Aug 21, 2006, 7:33:38 PM8/21/06
On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 07:11:53AM +0930, Taz wrote:
> David Fisher wrote:
[...]
> >>How about a game where the player *is* an unusual creature?
> >That would definitely fit inside this competition ...
> >Are you making a suggestion that this be a requirement ? (I kind of
> >like the idea of capturing a creature - lots of potential puzzles,
> >and a logical reason to re-try the same kind of thing over and over
> >until you get it right).
> >David Fisher
>
> Well, if we want to make it compulsory that'd probably stop noobs like
> me entering. I think it's a neat idea, but implementing so many new
> verbs, stopping old behaviours, etc, would probably be too hard for
> me.

Well, I'm a noob too. :-) I've only started writing IF within the past
2 weeks or so, although I've known IF games for a long time. I haven't
even completed my first game yet. But I like to stretch the limits,
'cos that's how you really get to know the platform you're developing
on, its limitations, its advantages, etc..

But on second thoughts, maybe making this a requirement is a bit too
much. Let the authors decide for themselves, I guess.

QF

--
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I
understand. -- Benjamin Franklin

Taz

Aug 21, 2006, 8:40:28 PM8/21/06

I'm guessing you have programmed before though =).

I agree. If we make it a general comp then people can do either.

Raksab

Aug 21, 2006, 10:00:33 PM8/21/06
Does *any* NPC count as a "creature"?

Under some definitions, I'd qualify humans as critters. Sprites and
fairies might too, even if they look human but aren't.

Or are we just talking furry/scaly/feathery things?

Also, would the creature actually have to appear in-game as a thing to
interact with? Because I could definitely see plots that involved
animals wherein the animals aren't actually in the game, or are present
but aren't alive and, um, interactive.

David Fisher

Aug 21, 2006, 11:00:01 PM8/21/06
"Raksab" <thel...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Does *any* NPC count as a "creature"?
>
> Under some definitions, I'd qualify humans as critters. Sprites and
> fairies might too, even if they look human but aren't.
>
> Or are we just talking furry/scaly/feathery things?

You are free to interpret the requirements as you wish ... surprise us.
:-)

The spirit of the comp is for the game to be focused on a non-human(oid)
creature, though.

> Also, would the creature actually have to appear in-game as a thing to
> interact with? Because I could definitely see plots that involved
> animals wherein the animals aren't actually in the game, or are present
> but aren't alive and, um, interactive.

As long as the creature is central to the game somehow. I guess the PC could
be a palaeontologist ...

David Fisher

lumi...@hotmail.com

Aug 21, 2006, 11:05:01 PM8/21/06

I'd be interested! Funnily enough I just wrote a game with an animal PC
in the Adrift Hourglass comp, and I've been working on an idea for a
larger game, so it's definitely something I've been giving a lot of
thought to.

quic...@quickfur.ath.cx

Aug 22, 2006, 11:14:00 AM8/22/06
On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 10:10:28AM +0930, Taz wrote:
> quic...@quickfur.ath.cx wrote:
> >Well, I'm a noob too. :-) I've only started writing IF within the past
> >2 weeks or so, although I've known IF games for a long time. I haven't
> >even completed my first game yet. But I like to stretch the limits,
> >'cos that's how you really get to know the platform you're developing
> >on, its limitations, its advantages, etc..
> >But on second thoughts, maybe making this a requirement is a bit too
> >much. Let the authors decide for themselves, I guess.
> >QF
>

> I'm guessing you have programmed before though =).
[...]

Yeah, programming is both my hobby and my profession. That's probably
one of the things about TADS that appeals to me: it's object-oriented
programming done right (i.e., non-straitjacketed in the way Java or C++
is) -- even if it was only in the context of IF gaming. But I digress.

QF

--
To provoke is to call someone stupid; to argue is to call each other stupid.