How long's did it take to write your game?

Edmund Kirwan

May 24, 2003, 5:55:17 PM5/24/03
Authos, how long did it take you to write your last game?

Are we talking weeks, months, or years?

.ed

www.edmundkirwan.com

Jim Fisher

May 25, 2003, 12:09:22 AM5/25/03
"Edmund Kirwan" asked:

> Authos, how long did it take you to write your last game?
> Are we talking weeks, months, or years?

Months. Um, but I'm not actually finished yet. Better make make that years.

Jim (AT) OnyxRing (DOT) com
Visit "An Inform Developer's Guide" or browse the
"ORLibrary" extensions to the standard library at
www.OnyxRing.com
----------------------
Some days you eat the code; some days the code eats you.

Fredrik Ramsberg

May 25, 2003, 4:23:28 AM5/25/03
ade...@eircom.net (Edmund Kirwan) wrote in message news:<a80e1059.03052...@posting.google.com>...

> Authos, how long did it take you to write your last game?

Roughly 14 years. Since I had two co-authors, I think it would take
about 42 years to write a game on my own. Give or take some.

/Fredrik

Paul Johnson

May 25, 2003, 5:27:49 AM5/25/03
"House of the Midnight Sun"-My first game, all of last year, and I am
still tweaking the code! My last game "The Ghost Train" about three months.
Paul T. Johnson

Quintin Stone

May 25, 2003, 9:49:15 AM5/25/03
On 24 May 2003, Edmund Kirwan wrote:

> Authos, how long did it take you to write your last game?
>
> Are we talking weeks, months, or years?

My current WIP was started in September. It's nearly done.

|| Quintin Stone O- > "You speak of necessary evil? One ||
|| Code Monkey < of those necessities is that if ||
|| Rebel Programmers Society > innocents must suffer, the guilty must ||
|| st...@rps.net < suffer more." -- Mackenzie Calhoun ||
|| http://www.rps.net/ > "Once Burned" by Peter David ||

Michael Coyne

May 25, 2003, 12:12:37 PM5/25/03
On Sun, 25 May 2003 01:23:28 +0000, Fredrik Ramsberg said to the parser:

> Roughly 14 years. Since I had two co-authors, I think it would take
> about 42 years to write a game on my own. Give or take some.

Having worked with co-authors before (but not on IF), my experience is
that each additional author doubles the time and work, rather than the
opposite.

It's a little like software projects in that way.

Michael

Michael Coyne

May 25, 2003, 12:14:18 PM5/25/03
On Sat, 24 May 2003 14:55:17 +0000, Edmund Kirwan said to the parser:

> Authos, how long did it take you to write your last game?
>
> Are we talking weeks, months, or years?

I started learning Inform in February, and started writing my first IF
piece in March.

I'm nearing completion now, but there still seems to be a mountain of work
to do. I'm wasting time fiddling with existing things now rather than
finishing up the last few locations. I hate me.

Michael

J. Robinson Wheeler

May 25, 2003, 3:09:45 PM5/25/03
Edmund Kirwan wrote:
> Authos, how long did it take you to write your last game?
>
> Are we talking weeks, months, or years?

First Things First: 4 Years

Four in One: 3 Months

Being Andrew Plotkin: 3 Weeks

Centipede: 10 Days

The Tale of the Kissing Bandit: 5 Days

ASCII and the Argonauts: 15 Hours

A Scurvy Gift for Bos'n Chuck: 2 Hours

--
J. Robinson Wheeler Games: http://www.raddial.com/if/
j...@jrwdigitalmedia.com Movie: http://thekroneexperiment.com/

davidw

May 25, 2003, 4:33:01 PM5/25/03
I wrote my last game in about 6 weeks, the one before that took 2
months and most of my others have varied between the two. It depends
to some degree on which authoring system you're using. If you use a
system like Adrift - like I do - you can write games pretty damn quick
because you don't have to spend a month poring over code before you
start writing. The same game with Tads would probably take twice as
long.

Gunther Schmidl

May 25, 2003, 5:41:43 PM5/25/03
Edmund Kirwan wrote:
> Authos, how long did it take you to write your last game?
>
> Are we talking weeks, months, or years?

Oh God, please don't ask.

-- Gunther

Seebs

May 25, 2003, 11:09:05 PM5/25/03
In article <a80e1059.03052...@posting.google.com>,

Edmund Kirwan <ade...@eircom.net> wrote:
>Authos, how long did it take you to write your last game?
>
>Are we talking weeks, months, or years?

Janitor was "months" - maybe a year, but there were a couple of one to three
month breaks in the middle. The current WIP is looking more like a solid
year, and I've got less time to work on it, but it's also much bigger.

-s
--
Copyright 2003, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / se...@plethora.net
http://www.seebs.net/log/ - YA blog. http://www.seebs.net/ - homepage.

ji...@le-kaki.com

May 26, 2003, 6:07:23 AM5/26/03
8 months, working an average of 1 hour / day and 5 hours on Sundays.
So it's like 350 hours, 1 hour per Ko of the game ;-)

Not counting reading the DM4, testing and browsing on raif, but counting
learning the language by exercising on the game.

JB

D. R. Porterfield

May 27, 2003, 1:41:37 PM5/27/03
"Michael Coyne" <coy...@mbDOT.sympaticoDOT.ca> wrote in message news:<pan.2003.05.25....@mbDOT.sympaticoDOT.ca>...

> I'm nearing completion now, but there still seems to be a mountain of work
> to do.

Someone somewhere once said that the first 90% of a work of IF takes
90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time. I
have discovered that this is true. Sometimes it feels like a Xeno's
Arrow situation -- you keep covering half the remaining distance, but
you never quite seem to get there. I've been working on my first game
for over a year, but that's partly because it was, in retrospect, a
rather ambitious project for a first-time game. I've actually spent a
fair amount of time making it smaller than it was originally planned
to be, whittling the map down to more playable proportions.

> I'm wasting time fiddling with existing things now rather than
> finishing up the last few locations. I hate me.

Actually, I don't think this is a waste of time at all, and not just
because I've also been doing a lot of it myself (fiddling with
existing game objects instead of finishing up the map). If I'm
inspired to work on a particular object and make it more interesting
or powerful or whatever, I go ahead and do that while I'm into it,
even if it wasn't what I'd planned to do when I first sat down to
code. That way, it gets done, and I have fun doing it. If I force
myself to do some other coding task (say, writing room descriptions)
when I'm really more interested at the moment in fiddling with the
code for (e.g.) a magic baseball, the descriptions will probably end
up having to be rewritten anyway because my mind is halfway on
something else, and the magic baseball code may not get written at all
because the inspiration has passed. Other days I might be more
interested in writing descriptions than in coding objects. So I tend
to work on whatever aspect of the game I'm most motivated to work on
at the time. Since I'm not getting paid anything for all the effort, I
figure I might as well enjoy myself while I'm doing it, and eventually
it will all get done.

-- David

Michael Coyne

May 27, 2003, 2:34:46 PM5/27/03
On Tue, 27 May 2003 10:41:37 +0000, D. R. Porterfield said to the parser:

> Actually, I don't think this is a waste of time at all, and not just

Thanks for the encouragement : )

> code for (e.g.) a magic baseball, the descriptions will probably end

What? Another magic baseball in a game?

Now I have to rework that whole glowing diamond and burnt club puzzle.

Michael

Steven Feil

May 28, 2003, 3:23:18 PM5/28/03
On Sat, 24 May 2003 16:55:17 -0500, Edmund Kirwan wrote:

> Authos, how long did it take you to write your last game?
>
> Are we talking weeks, months, or years?

According to Harry Hol it takes two years. See
http://www.xyzzynews.com/dutchdapper12102002.html for details.

PS. If Your reading this Harry, you need to stop and get back to working on
Reality's End. :-) :-)
Steven Feil | It may be true that necessity is the .~.
Programmer/Developer | mother of invention, but I say that more /V\
sf...@io.com | often than not, it's one ugly mother. // \\