Implementing Andrew Plotkin's "Freefall" question...

biag...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2005, 3:51:21 PM12/8/05
Hey all,

I've been studying Andrew Plotkin's code for Freefall, and I'm not
gonna lie...it's a bit over my head. What I'd like to do is implement
it in a test game I'm doing where a player would pick up a gameboy,
play tetris, and when they reach a certain score, a secret message
would be revealed. I have no problem with the basics (creating the
gameboy, etc.) but have been having trouble implementing the code from
Freefall.

My confusion is in a few areas:

1. The code uses "Main"...if I'm not mistaken (and I could be) the
library already handles this, so it seems like this needs to go (?)

2. What would be the best way to build the "high score secret
message"...would that be into the main Freefall codeblock?

3. To complicate matters (perhaps) I'm working within the ORBBlankGame
template from the Onyx Ring...don't know if this will affect things
adversely.

Thanks in advance. I'm hoping to work through this as an experiment,
and to eventually create my own "Z Machine Abuses" that I can work into
the middle of an otherwise all text game.

Biagio

Andrew Plotkin

Dec 8, 2005, 4:54:33 PM12/8/05
Here, biag...@gmail.com wrote:

> I've been studying Andrew Plotkin's code for Freefall, and I'm not
> gonna lie...it's a bit over my head. What I'd like to do is implement
> it in a test game I'm doing where a player would pick up a gameboy,
> play tetris, and when they reach a certain score, a secret message
> would be revealed. I have no problem with the basics (creating the
> gameboy, etc.) but have been having trouble implementing the code from
> Freefall.
>
> My confusion is in a few areas:
>
> 1. The code uses "Main"...if I'm not mistaken (and I could be) the
> library already handles this, so it seems like this needs to go (?)

It's been a long time since I looked at this myself, of course.

The "Main" routine just prints introductory text, calls PlayTetris(),
and then prints closing text. You can throw it away entirely, and call
PlayTetris() directly. (Possibly with Pause() calls before and after.)

> 2. What would be the best way to build the "high score secret
> message"...would that be into the main Freefall codeblock?

In the big loop in TetGameLoop(). If the score reaches your trigger
point, set a flag and then return 1. Later you can check the flag and
print your message.

> 3. To complicate matters (perhaps) I'm working within the ORBBlankGame
> template from the Onyx Ring...don't know if this will affect things
> adversely.

I don't think so, but I'm not familiar with the OR code. It's possible
that the tetris code will leave the status line hidden, in which case
you'd have to do a little work afterwards to reopen it.

--Z

*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.

Daniel Dawson

Dec 19, 2005, 9:26:19 PM12/19/05
You pick up and read article
<1134075081.3...@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, written by

<biag...@gmail.com>. It says:
>gonna lie...it's a bit over my head. What I'd like to do is implement
>it in a test game I'm doing where a player would pick up a gameboy,
>play tetris, and when they reach a certain score, a secret message
>would be revealed. I have no problem with the basics (creating the

C.E. Forman did something like this in _Delusions_. If you type a certain magic
word on the first move...

(If you want to know more, I posted about this easter egg several months ago.)

--
| Email: Daniel Dawson <ddawson at icehouse.net> ifMUD: DanDawson |
| Web: http://www.icehouse.net/ddawson/ PGP key: 'about' on web site |