Pockets pockets pockets

Erik Hetzner

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

Because I said I would, & because I enjoy wasting bandwidth, at the end of
this message is a short Inform program that implements a pocket with only
one object. It's pretty self explanatory, but:

garment_name is the name of the garment (ie "blue jeans")
garment_article is the article of the gament ("a pair of")
pocket_name is the name of the pocket ("pocket")
pocket_article is the article of the pocket ("your")

It can & is used as a sack object, which I find kind of neat.

Well, I hope you all enjoy!
--
Erik

---cut here----
Constant Story "POCKETS OF PLENTY";
Constant Headline "^Copyright 1997 Erik Hetzner^";
Constant MAX_CARRIED 2;
Constant SACK_OBJECT Jeans;
Include "parser";
Include "verblib";
Include "grammar";

Class GarmentWithPocket
with name "blue jeans",
describe [;
"^You can see ", (a) self, " here.";
],
short_name [;
if (action == ##Take) {
if (self in Player)
print (string) self.pocket_name;
else {
if (self hasnt general)
print (string) self.garment_name;
else
print (string) self.pocket_name;
give self general;
}
} else {
give self ~general;
if (action == ##Insert or ##Remove or ##Search)
print (string) self.pocket_name;
else
print (string) self.garment_name;
}
rtrue;
],
article [;
if (action == ##Take) {
if (self in Player)
print (string) self.pocket_article;
else {
if (self hasnt general)
print (string) self.garment_article;
else
print (string) self.pocket_article;
}
} else {
if (action == ##Insert or ##Remove or ##Search)
print (string) self.pocket_article;
else
print (string) self.garment_article;
}
rtrue;
],
invent [ x;
if (inventory_stage == 2) {
if (self has worn)
print " (being worn)";
if (children (self) == 0)
rtrue;
print ", in the pocket of which ";
if (children (self) == 1)
print "is";
else
print "are";
if ((c_style & NEWLINE_BIT) ~= 0)
print ":";
else
print " ";
if ((c_style & NEWLINE_BIT) ~= 0) {
x = true;
print "^ ";
}
WriteListFrom (child (self), ENGLISH_BIT + RECURSE_BIT);
if (x == true) {
print "^";
}
rtrue;
}
],
description [;
print (string) self.garment_description, " ";
print "In the pocket of ", (the) self, " there ";
if (children (self) == 1)
print "is";
else
print "are";
print " ";
WriteListFrom (child (self), ENGLISH_BIT);
print ".^";
],
has container clothing open ~transparent;

Object Hall "The Hall of Pockets"
with description "Well, the hall of one pocket, really. Yours.",
has light;

Object -> Jeans "blue jeans"
class GarmentWithPocket
with name "pant" "pants" "pair of pants" "trousers" "pocket"
"jeans" "faded" "blue" "blue jeans" "faded blue jeans",
pocket_name "pocket",
pocket_article "your",
garment_name "blue jeans",
garment_article "a pair of",
garment_description "A pair of faded blue jeans.";

Object -> Duckie "rubber duckie"
with name "duck" "rubber" "duckie" "rubber duckie",
description "Squeak! Squeak!";

Object -> Pen "ballpoint pen"
with name "pen" "biro" "ballpoint",
description "All dried out.";

Object -> Candy "chocolate bar"
with name "candy" "bar" "choco" "chocolate bar" "candy bar",
description "A good-looking bar of chocolate.",
has edible;

[ Initialise;
print "^^";
Location = Hall;
move player to Hall;
];
--cut here---

--
Erik Hetzner <e...@uclink4.berkeley.edu>

Richard H. Poser II

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

On 06-Feb-97 22:38:20, e...@uclink4.berkeley.edu
(Erik Hetzner) wrote the following:

>Because I said I would, & because I enjoy wasting bandwidth, at the end of
>this message is a short Inform program that implements a pocket with only
>one object.

>It can & is used as a sack object, which I find kind of neat.

Very good except that the description of the GarmentWithPocket Class gives
the wrong description when the pocket is empty...

The following changes need to be made...

---cut here----

description [;
print (string) self.garment_description, " ";

--> if ( children(self) == 0)
--> "The pocket of ", (the) self, " is empty.";
--> else

Richard H. Poser II (The Next Regeneration) <rhp...@Fair.Net>
--
The Whomiga Times: http://www.america.net/~rhposer
Doctor Who Pinball: http://www.america.net/~rhposer/pinball

Erik Hetzner

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

In article <1277.6976...@fair.net>, Richard H. Poser II

<rhp...@fair.net> wrote:
> Very good except that the description of the GarmentWithPocket Class gives
> the wrong description when the pocket is empty...
>
> The following changes need to be made...
>
>[And here was the fix...]

Well, I never did claim to be perfect. :) I mean, I was rather proud of
it, but...

No, seriously, thanks for pointing that out.

If anyone else notices any problems, please tell me! I might actually use
this code in my next (and first released) game. Thanks!

--
Erik Hetzner <e...@uclink4.berkeley.edu>

Kathleen Fischer

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97
to e...@uclink4.berkeley.edu

Erik Hetzner wrote:
> If anyone else notices any problems, please tell me! I might
> actually use this code in my next (and first released) game. Thanks!

can't use it? :(

* Kathleen M. Fischer
* kfis...@greenhouse.llnl.gov
** "Don't stop to stomp ants while the elephants are stampeding" **

Erik Hetzner

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97

In article <32FBC3...@greenhouse.llnl.gov>, Kathleen Fischer

<kfis...@greenhouse.llnl.gov> wrote:
> can't use it? :(

Of course not. :) You're all free to use this code any way you'd like to.
I don't even care for credit. (Okay, I'm feeling pretty crazy today :)

--
Erik Hetzner <e...@uclink4.berkeley.edu>