[Inform] 6/8 and pronouns - hack

Gunther Schmidl

Dec 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/13/98
Are you, too annoyed that after

>GET KNIFE. CUT ROPE WITH IT.

'it' is set to 'rope' when it should be 'knife' still? This messes up
'AGAIN', too.

Here's an easy fix. In parserm.h, look for the lines saying

if (parameters > 0 && results-->2 >= 2)
PronounNotice(results-->2);

and add the line

if (pronoun_obj) == NULL

before PronounNotice(results-->2);

Thanks to zarf for the vital tip; I take no guarantees, though.

BTW, I proposed this to Graham as an optional feature (maybe define a
constant like PERSISTENT_PRONOUNS, like you have to do with
MANUAL_PRONOUNS), but here's the hack anyway :-)

--
+------------------------+----------------------------------------------+
+ Gunther Schmidl + "I couldn't help it. I can resist everything +

David Glasser

Dec 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/14/98
Gunther Schmidl <sot...@xxx.usa.net> wrote:

> Are you, too annoyed that after
>
> >GET KNIFE. CUT ROPE WITH IT.
>
> 'it' is set to 'rope' when it should be 'knife' still? This messes up
> 'AGAIN', too.

Ick, I don't like it. The dobj becomes the pron, I say.

> Here's an easy fix. In parserm.h, look for the lines saying
>
> if (parameters > 0 && results-->2 >= 2)
> PronounNotice(results-->2);
>
> and add the line
>
> if (pronoun_obj) == NULL
>
> before PronounNotice(results-->2);
>
> Thanks to zarf for the vital tip; I take no guarantees, though.
>
> BTW, I proposed this to Graham as an optional feature (maybe define a
> constant like PERSISTENT_PRONOUNS, like you have to do with
> MANUAL_PRONOUNS), but here's the hack anyway :-)

At least make it user-controllable. (Insert plug for my ManPron module
that allows MANUAL_PRONOUNS to be user-controllable.)

--
David Glasser gla...@NOSPAMuscom.com http://onramp.uscom.com/~glasser
DGlasser @ ifMUD : fovea.retina.net:4001 | r.a.i-f FAQ: come.to/raiffaq

okbl...@usa.net

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98
In article <1dk1cp2.3ol...@usol-209-186-16-187.uscom.com>,

gla...@DELETEuscom.com (David Glasser) wrote:

> Ick, I don't like it. The dobj becomes the pron, I say.

How about the dobj becomes the pronoun unless that doesn't make sense. Then
the parser goes back through a certain number of previous "it"s to find out
which noun *does* make sense.

OK, it's a pipe dream.<g>

[ok]

Joe Mason

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
okbl...@usa.net <okbl...@usa.net> wrote:
>In article <1dk1cp2.3ol...@usol-209-186-16-187.uscom.com>,
> gla...@DELETEuscom.com (David Glasser) wrote:
>>
>> Ick, I don't like it. The dobj becomes the pron, I say.
>>

>How about the dobj becomes the pronoun unless that doesn't make sense. Then
>the parser goes back through a certain number of previous "it"s to find out
>which noun *does* make sense.
>
>OK, it's a pipe dream.<g>

<cough> Inscribe </cough>

Joe
--
Congratulations, Canada, on preserving your national igloo.
-- Mike Huckabee, Governor of Arkansas

Jonadab the Unsightly One

Dec 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/19/98
okbl...@usa.net wrote:

> In article <1dk1cp2.3ol...@usol-209-186-16-187.uscom.com>,
> gla...@DELETEuscom.com (David Glasser) wrote:
> >
> > Ick, I don't like it. The dobj becomes the pron, I say.
> >

> How about the dobj becomes the pronoun unless that doesn't make sense. Then
> the parser goes back through a certain number of previous "it"s to find out
> which noun *does* make sense.
>
> OK, it's a pipe dream.<g>

I think it should depend on the verb. For some verbs the
second object should become the pronoun.

Also,

> Give Bob the flowers

should set him_obj to Bob and it_obj to flowers, IMO.

Then there's the following:

---

> Look beneath the desk

Bending over to look under the desk, you notice a
mismatched patch in the carpet. Upon closer inspection,
you realise that there's a trap door here!

---

My instinct is that it_obj should now be the trap door.
(This goes for any object discovered by an action.)
That's not something the library can do automatically,
but I think it would be a nice gesture on the author's
part to set the appropriate pronoun object in the
before rule (or wherever the text comes from that
mentions the object).

- jonadab

Mary K. Kuhner

Dec 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/19/98
Jonadab the Unsightly One <jon...@zerospam.com> wrote:

>> Look beneath the desk

>Bending over to look under the desk, you notice a
>mismatched patch in the carpet. Upon closer inspection,
>you realise that there's a trap door here!

>My instinct is that it_obj should now be the trap door.

If the player typed:

>look beneath desk then open it

they will be sadly surprised by the outcome, especially if
opening the trap door was something they definitely didn't want
to do. I think as a player I'll stop using "it" altogether
if I encounter many surprises like this.

One favorite of mine, from Jigsaw: Graham neglected to straighten
out all the pronoun issues around a certain NPC, and when I
typed

>kiss her

I got the response

>You don't see any snow leopard here

Mary Kuhner mkku...@genetics.washington.edu

Dan Shiovitz

Dec 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/19/98
In article <75ghm9$1oec$1...@nntp3.u.washington.edu>,

Mary K. Kuhner <mkku...@kingman.genetics.washington.edu> wrote:
>Jonadab the Unsightly One <jon...@zerospam.com> wrote:
>
>>> Look beneath the desk
>
>>Bending over to look under the desk, you notice a
>>mismatched patch in the carpet. Upon closer inspection,
>>you realise that there's a trap door here!
>
>>My instinct is that it_obj should now be the trap door.
>
>If the player typed:
>
>>look beneath desk then open it
>
>they will be sadly surprised by the outcome, especially if
[..]

The obvious patch for this is to make "look beneath desk then open it"
work differently than "look beneath desk<return>open it". Would this
be bad? Personally, I think I'd be ok with it, although someone's
going to end up being surprised any way you do it (eg, what if they
knew from previous experience that looking under the desk would reveal
the trapdoor and set the itobj? But this seems rather less
likely). Already, I believe, the undo command makes a distinction
between the two, so I suppose that's a precedent.

>Mary Kuhner mkku...@genetics.washington.edu
--
Dan Shiovitz || d...@cs.wisc.edu || http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~dbs
"...Incensed by some crack he had made about modern enlightened

okbl...@usa.net

Dec 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/21/98
In article <P0_d2.41428$c8.21...@hme2.newscontent-01.sprint.ca>,
jcm...@uwaterloo.ca (Joe Mason) wrote:

> <cough> Inscribe </cough>

Do you have TB, or would you like to make a pitch here? ;-)

TenthStone

Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98
okbl...@usa.net thus inscribed this day of Wed, 16 Dec 1998 21:50:55 GMT:

>In article <1dk1cp2.3ol...@usol-209-186-16-187.uscom.com>,
> gla...@DELETEuscom.com (David Glasser) wrote:
>>
>> Ick, I don't like it. The dobj becomes the pron, I say.
>>

>How about the dobj becomes the pronoun unless that doesn't make sense. Then
>the parser goes back through a certain number of previous "it"s to find out
>which noun *does* make sense.

I don't know the feasibility of this, but the most logical thing to do
would be to have "it" always point to a noun from a previous sentence,
and have a special "itself" pronoun point to a noun from the current
sentence.

-----------

The imperturbable TenthStone
tenth...@hotmail.com mcc...@erols.com mcc...@gsgis.k12.va.us

Jonadab the Unsightly One

Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98

d...@cs.wisc.edu (Dan Shiovitz) wrote:

> >If the player typed:
> >
> >>look beneath desk then open it

Hmmm... I didn't think of that. It's something
to think about, but I still think I'd like to have
"it" refer to the last object mentioned by either
the player or the game, not just the player.
(This of course cannot be done adequately by the
library, so the game will have to do it manually.
More work for authors. Yay.)

> The obvious patch for this is to make "look beneath desk then open it"
> work differently than "look beneath desk<return>open it". Would this
> be bad?

IMO no. "it" should mean exactly the value of it_obj when
the "it" is typed. Implementing that could be a little
trickier, but probably worth it.

> Already, I believe, the undo command makes a distinction
> between the two, so I suppose that's a precedent.

Quite so.

- jonadab

okbl...@usa.net

Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98
In article <367ffe7e...@news.erols.com>,

mcc...@erols.com (TenthStone) wrote:

> I don't know the feasibility of this, but the most logical thing to do
> would be to have "it" always point to a noun from a previous sentence,
> and have a special "itself" pronoun point to a noun from the current
> sentence.

Itself is fine:

> TIE THE ROPE TO ITSELF

But "it" could be a lot more sensible:

> FILL THE BALLOON WITH WATER
The balloon swells and trembles.
> TIE IT
Tie the water? Excuse me?
> NO, TIE THE BALLOON, YOU MORON
Okay. You tie the balloon so that the water will not leak out.
> OPEN THE WINDOW
You open the window. Your ex-friend Babs is down there kissing your
ex-boyfriend Maurice.
> DROP IT.
You're not carrying the window.

[etc.]