Original idea? Was Alternatives to scoring in...

Al Hunt

Aug 17, 1992, 11:20:53 AM8/17/92
Netters,

I just got what I think is an original idea that would solve this scoring
problem. It is a technique used in film and tv.

How about having the adventurer filling out a diary or log book. This
could be controlled by the player (ie "Update the Diary" command), or
done at a scheduled time (ie Just before the adventurer goes to sleep).

Example:
>Sleep

You find a comfortable spot, and begin to fill out your diary prior to a
much needed rest.

Dear Diary,
I am really pleased with myself today! Not only did I find the golden
fleece, but managed to solve a puzzle written on the side of a well! If
I can keep progressing at this rate, I will have the Crown in my grasp in
no time!

---

This sort of idea does not distract from the game. The feeling of the
adventurer doing the solving is there. Subtle hints could be given:

Dear Diary,
I finally got the golden fleece. I am feeling a little uneasy about
throwing in that pit. I think I should have kept it after all.

---

Well, that is a little blatent, but you get the idea.

Speling is my fort, eh?
Al Hunt

Al Hunt a...@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca

John Francis

Aug 17, 1992, 3:00:35 PM8/17/92
In article <iTPNPB...@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca> a...@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Al Hunt) writes:
>How about having the adventurer filling out a diary or log book. This
>could be controlled by the player (ie "Update the Diary" command), or
>done at a scheduled time (ie Just before the adventurer goes to sleep).
>
>Example:
>>Sleep
>
>You find a comfortable spot, and begin to fill out your diary prior to a
>much needed rest.
>
>Dear Diary,
>I am really pleased with myself today! Not only did I find the golden
>fleece, but managed to solve a puzzle written on the side of a well! If
>I can keep progressing at this rate, I will have the Crown in my grasp in
>no time!

Brilliant! Absolutely Brilliant! Provides feedback & reinforcement from
the game designer to the player. This could be incorporated with the hints
mentioned by earlier players, rather like:

Dear Diary,
I still don't know what to do with the candlestick, the birdcage,
or the pogo stick. I think tomorrow I will try to find a way into
the gingerbread house I found yesterday - maybe I'll find something
inside that will help me on my way.

--
John Francis jo...@apollo.hp.com
The world can be divided into two classes :-

t911...@phillip.edu.au

Aug 18, 1992, 10:54:54 AM8/18/92
In article <iTPNPB...@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca>, a...@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Al Hunt) writes:
> Netters,

[...]

> Dear Diary,
> I am really pleased with myself today! Not only did I find the golden
> fleece, but managed to solve a puzzle written on the side of a well! If
> I can keep progressing at this rate, I will have the Crown in my grasp in
> no time!

This sort of thing is a lot like "Journey" (one of Infocom's last games)
the way that Tag 'narrated' the story. I hated the game, it was much too much
like a Choose Your Own Adventure, but this style of scoring worked well.

> Al Hunt a...@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca
--

Adam Eberbach Computer Science student, RMIT. t911...@phillip.edu.au
"We don' need no stinkin' signatures!"

Peter Scheyen

Aug 18, 1992, 10:03:03 AM8/18/92
The graphic adventure/simulation Dune does this with a twist. There is a book always at your
disposal which keeps an updated history of your job so far. It has chapters outlining the
history of your progress for different topics (spice production, politics, etc.). Truely a
great idea.

Pete

sch...@csd.uwo.ca