INFORM 7: Issues i have not resolved...

ajstua...@hotmail.com

Dec 15, 2007, 5:52:27 PM12/15/07
I have many but here are some that i cant seem to get my arms around,
any help would be nice

How do i make it so the players "it" value is set to what i want it to
be?
for example the player says open box and inside the box is a letter. i
now want to make it so if the player types "GET IT", it will refer to
the letter NOT the box?

How do i make it so if only one item is being carried the GET ALL
command doesnt try and re-pick up that item?

How do i make it so if i do a GET ALL it does not include any items
that are inside of containers?
ie i pick up a vase that has water in it i dont want it to also take
the water.
OR i GET ALL and there is a drawer that is open i dont want it to take
the robe that is inside because i cant take the drawer? stopping the
drawer pickup i can do however...
i do however still want GET ALL FROM either the vase or the drawer to
work properly....

Thanks!

miket...@embarqmail.com

Dec 15, 2007, 9:24:02 PM12/15/07
On Dec 15, 5:52 pm, ajstuart2...@hotmail.com wrote:

> How do i make it so if i do a GET ALL it does not include any items
> that are inside of containers?
> ie i pick up a vase that has water in it i dont want it to also take
> the water.
> OR i GET ALL and there is a drawer that is open i dont want it to take
> the robe that is inside because i cant take the drawer? stopping the
> drawer pickup i can do however...
> i do however still want GET ALL FROM either the vase or the drawer to
> work properly....
>
> Thanks!

Try this:

<code>

The lab is a room.

The box is an openable container in the lab. It is closed.
The letter is in the box.

The drawer is an openable container in the lab. It is fixed in place
and open. A robe is in the drawer.

Rule for deciding whether all includes a thing (called the item):
if the item is inside a container, it does not.

</code>

Mike

miket...@embarqmail.com

Dec 15, 2007, 9:55:57 PM12/15/07
On Dec 15, 5:52 pm, ajstuart2...@hotmail.com wrote:
> I have many but here are some that i cant seem to get my arms around,
> any help would be nice
>
> How do i make it so the players "it" value is set to what i want it to
> be?
> for example the player says open box and inside the box is a letter. i
> now want to make it so if the player types "GET IT", it will refer to
> the letter NOT the box?

The easiest way is to use an extension:

<code>

Include Plurality by Emily Short.

After opening a container:
if something is inside the noun, have the parser notice a random
thing inside the noun;
continue the action.

</code>

The Plurality extension has other features too. Check it out, it's
one of the extensions built into I7.

Mike

ajstua...@hotmail.com

Dec 16, 2007, 3:08:54 PM12/16/07
Thanks mike that was VERY helpful!
I found that the game still tried to pickup things like MYSELF and
items that i was carrying but this seems to fix it. Part of my problem
with doing the stuff is the correct verbage, so it was VERY nice to
see that rule spelled out.

Rule for deciding whether all includes a thing (called the item):

if the item is backdrop begin;
it does not;
else if the item is scenery;
it does not;
else if the item is the player; [Stops referencing yourself as part
of ALL]
it does not;
else if taking;
if the item is inside a container begin;
it does not;
else if the item is not in location; [ Means it wont reference
anything on the player]
it does not;
end if;
end if;