What is in a Name?

Jamee Wang

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Is there an ettiquette for naming a Room/Place/Location? How does
one 'craft' a better name for a location?

For example, naming an armor shop:

A Village In Armour Shop ; Colossal Cave style ?

An Armour Shop

An Armoury Shop in Village

The Armoury etc..

or indirectly:

The BloodyAxe Shop

Jessy's Hammerhead

The BlackForge of Village

The One-And-Only-Armor etc..

Wildman, the Cuberstalker

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
On 9 Nov 1998 17:33:39 GMT, Jamee Wang <isc...@mail2.sas.upenn.edu> wrote:
>Is there an ettiquette for naming a Room/Place/Location? How does
>one 'craft' a better name for a location?

The only "right" way to choose a name (for anything) is the way that feels
right _to you_. It is, after all, your game.

--
Wildman, the Cuberstalker
You know the Klingon proverb that tells whose revenge is a dish that is best

Schep

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Jamee Wang wrote:

> Is there an ettiquette for naming a Room/Place/Location? How does
> one 'craft' a better name for a location?
>
> For example, naming an armor shop:
<snip examples>

This is entirely a matter of style. Whatever name fits your type of game
is the one you should use. It would be nice to the player to make the
place easy to remember (using name and description together), but if you
would rather confuse the player, that's the author's right.

--
Schep -----------------------------------------------------
Reply by email should be schepler at pilot dot msu dot edu.

Doeadeer3

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98

In article <slrn74elp8....@foobar.net>, wil...@microserve.net
(Wildman, the Cuberstalker) writes:

>The only "right" way to choose a name (for anything) is the way that feels
>right _to you_. It is, after all, your game.

As long as it's spelled right.

Doe :-)

Doe doea...@aol.com (formerly known as FemaleDeer)
"In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain

TenthStone

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
isc...@mail2.sas.upenn.edu (Jamee Wang) caused this to appear in our
collective minds on 9 Nov 1998 17:33:39 GMT:

>Is there an ettiquette for naming a Room/Place/Location? How does
>one 'craft' a better name for a location?
>
>For example, naming an armor shop:

Sliversimth.

Three words: Concision, Allusion, Distinction.
Seriously.

-----------

The imperturbable TenthStone
tenth...@hotmail.com mcc...@erols.com mcc...@gsgis.k12.va.us

T Raymond

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
On 10 Nov 1998 03:46:21 GMT, doea...@aol.com (Doeadeer3) wrote:

> In article <slrn74elp8....@foobar.net>, wil...@microserve.net
> (Wildman, the Cuberstalker) writes:
>
> >The only "right" way to choose a name (for anything) is the way that feels
> >right _to you_. It is, after all, your game.
>
> As long as it's spelled right.
>
> Doe :-)

Even that might all depend on the aim of the name errr game
as it were? *L* Say, using phonetic spelling for some things
as a simple code, or alternate spelling just to be different.
HAving already confessed to being a habitual typo person,
perhaps I am just hunting for some solid and reasonable
explanations I can use if I get caught up in one. *LOL*

Tom
Tom Raymond a...@usa.net
"It was a bright star, and the day was lost..."