Group efforts underway???

charm

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Just curious if there are any IF-ers out there combining their efforts to
bring out new IF? Are most people sole authors? It would seem, as
evidenced by open source community, that lots of individuals working together
on a project, is a good way to rapidly develop games.

If people are collaborating, what kind of tools are being used in this
collaboration? (i.e. Netmeeting, ICQ, IRC) The same collaboration could
go into independent documentation for IF. I've looked and there is a lot
of great documentation, but it seems all the effort of individuals, with
help from....

Certainly not a criticism, just curiousity. IF user groups?

I saw that at least one poster had a uwaterloo address... if there are
more people in that area, it might be interesting to form an IF user group.
I have a notebook, with a small enough group we could meet at a coffee
shop, swap data, etc.

Just throwing around ideas...

Jonadab the Unsightly One

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
ch...@zombie.graveyard.lan (charm) wrote:

> Just curious if there are any IF-ers out there combining their efforts to
> bring out new IF? Are most people sole authors? It would seem, as
> evidenced by open source community, that lots of individuals working together
> on a project, is a good way to rapidly develop games.

Lots of people working together on a project is a good way to rapidly
develop [censored] unless there's one primary person heading it up
and others just helping out.

> If people are collaborating, what kind of tools are being used in this
> collaboration? (i.e. Netmeeting, ICQ, IRC)

rec.arts.int-fiction

Also email.

Does if-mud get used for development stuff, or is it just social?

> Certainly not a criticism, just curiousity. IF user groups?

rec.arts.int-fiction
rec.games.int-fiction

There are occasional Cons, too.

--

Forward all spam to u...@ftc.gov

Adam Cadre

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
> Does if-mud get used for development stuff, or is it just social?

Both. There are at least two collaborative projects I can think of
currently using the MUD as a place to hash stuff out.

-----
Adam Cadre, Sammamish, WA
http://adamcadre.ac

Mark Musante - Sun Microsystems

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
Adam Cadre (a...@adamcadre.ac) wrote:
> > Does if-mud get used for development stuff, or is it just social?
>
> Both. There are at least two collaborative projects I can think of
> currently using the MUD as a place to hash stuff out.

In addition to that, it's also a great way to pick up a few
beta-testers, talk design issues, get immediate feedback on ideas,
help with debugging Inform and TADS (and Hugo when Kent Tessman is
around), and find out when IF-gatherings are taking place.

Also, nearly all the 'Speed IF' games have been run through the MUD.

http://ifmud.port4000.com/

-=- Mark -=-

Stefano Gaburri

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00

Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:

> Lots of people working together on a project is a good way to rapidly
> develop [censored] unless there's one primary person heading it up
> and others just helping out.

Right. Still, I wonder why there aren't more games developed by two or three authors. Speaking for myself, I'd like to
do something together with another author or 2: as far as designing goes, there are always good ideas around which to
build the world, and undeveloped areas that need to be "filled". The counterpart(s) could have the right ideas to flesh
those areas. During development, it's just much more fun to overcome technical problems together, and each other's
enthusiasm would push the other author(s) past the inevitable moments of discomfort, fatigue or plain laziness.

Of course, this assumes that 1) design ideas don't clash and 2) development slackness periods don't match. otherwise
it's just a double trouble :)
Generally in these cases is better to be all more or less at the same level of expertise. Still, it's probably right to
assume one has to take the role of the group "leader" since otherwise too much time would be spent in bickering. It's a
bit like fiction, couple of autors working together do exist, but there's no rule about it. If you go along, working
tohether is probably much easier, but if you don't there is no rule or way to allow it.

Also, there would be the issue of an author's jealousy about his own ideas: but this has never been a problem with me -
I would gladly abandon my "magnificent and progressive mental castles" in favor of other, better ideas or conceptions.

Just my opinion...

ciao

John Hill

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
In article <3937a53d...@news.bright.net>, Jonadab the Unsightly
One <jon...@bright.net> wrote:

> rec.arts.int-fiction
> rec.games.int-fiction
>
> There are occasional Cons, too.

This I've never heard of. What would such a thing be like?

jramboz

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
In article <slrn8jb0tn...@zombie.graveyard.lan>,

ch...@zombie.graveyard.lan (charm) wrote:
>Just curious if there are any IF-ers out there combining their
efforts to
>bring out new IF? Are most people sole authors? It would
seem, as
>evidenced by open source community, that lots of individuals
working together
>on a project, is a good way to rapidly develop games.

I'd love to collaborate with someone else on an IF project.
Mostly because I love doing the writing, but am still learning
the coding (Inform), so I haven't been able to put anything out
yet. It'd be great to have someone else doing the coding and let
me focus on just writing.

Unfortunately, I don't think it would work unless the other
person was in my local area. I've tried internet collaborations
on other (non-IF) projects, and found that they really don't
work, at least not for me. And since I don't know any good
coders nearby... *breaks out climbing boots and begins to hike
up the learning curve* ;)

This has been yet another pointless message brought to you by:
-- Jason Ramboz

Unix Shade

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
In article <3937a53d...@news.bright.net>, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
>Lots of people working together on a project is a good way to rapidly
>develop [censored] unless there's one primary person heading it up
>and others just helping out.

With one person heading up a group of others, it's nothing more than a run of
the mill "company." There is probably a lot to be learned from business in
organizing an effort to put together a group of people to work on an IF
project. For example, thinking about the type of people who could be involved
in the project: programmers, graphic artists, sound people, marketing,
documentation editors/writers. At the same time, thinking like an
individual is really helpful to pull together the kind of resources to make
the project really interesting: cd-burners, scanners, various printers,
a digital camera, various computer platforms, even a Palm computer. Of course
one person could do all this, or wouldn't even need 1/2 of it, but some might
make for a more interesting project.

Unix Shade

W. Top Changwatchai

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
I didn't see this mentioned yet: there is an "IF Collaborators List" which
may be just what you're looking for:

http://www.ltlink.com/~jgoemmer/ifcollab.html

Top

jramboz <jramboz...@maranatha.net.invalid> wrote in message