Character-Driven NA's/MA's?

1 view

peri

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

Though I've followed the Doctor's adventures on screen for more than a decade, I've only just
begun to read the NA's/MA's. (So far, I've only read "The Left-Handed Hummingbird", "Love &
War" and am about to start "Set Piece"). I enjoyed both of them very much.

For me, the DW episodes I've loved have centered on the personal - I love to get into a
characters' head and learn more about him. So with that in mind, can anyone reccommend
NA's/MA's that focus on the characterizations of the Doctor & his companions?

Thanks!

Piera

David GOLDING

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

Revelation (Ace, Doc)
Warhead (Ace, Doc)
Love and War (Ace, Doc, Benny)
Transit (Doc)
Lucifer Rising (Ace, Benny, Doc)
Set Piece (Ace, Benny, Doc)
The Also People (Benny, Roz, Chris, Doc)
Just War (Benny, Roz, Chris, Mel, Doc)

methinks these are of particular note... but there are plenty of others.

Dave

BTW what is it with some people's posts going waaaay past the screen width,
and having double-spacing? It's driving me insane. Well, more insane.

"...exams, exams, exams..."
--

david by default ... dgol...@halls1.cc.monash.edu.au
*converting Dave is like converting a television into a microwave*

Jonathan Blum

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

In article <4q06dh$g...@news1.panix.com>, peri <pi...@panix.com> wrote:
>So with that in mind, can anyone reccommend
>NA's/MA's that focus on the characterizations of the Doctor & his companions?

NA's: Anything by Paul Cornell, anything by Kate Orman. "Lucifer
Rising", "Birthright", "Original Sin", "The Also People", "Death and
Diplomacy". Oh, and "Head Games", though I'm not so fond of the way it
treats the characters. Lessee, that's about 13 or 14 out of the line
which are very characterization-heavy.

MA's: Hmm. These tend to be a bit more plot-driven. "Millenial Rites"
has a lot to say about the sixth Doctor's character, and "Dancing the
Code" does wonders with the UNIT gang. There are plenty of books which
feature the characters well-drawn in their TV-like roles, but not many
which really stretch the characters beyond them. Oh, "Time of Your
Life" also includes some good new insights, and while I haven't read it
yet I hear that "The Man In The Velvet Mask" is positively radical.

Regards,
Jon Blum
"All this time you two thought you were playing some twisted game of
chess... when it was just me playing solitaire!"
D O C T O R W H O : T I M E R I F T

Sphinx

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

pi...@panix.com (peri) wrote:
Though I've followed the Doctor's adventures on screen for more
than a decade, I've only just
begun to read the NA's/MA's. (So far, I've only read "The
Left-Handed Hummingbird", "Love &
War" and am about to start "Set Piece"). I enjoyed both of them
very much.

For me, the DW episodes I've loved have centered on the personal
- I love to get into a

>characters' head and learn more about him. So with that in mind, can anyone reccommend >NA's/MA's that focus on the characterizati=

ons of the Doctor & his companions?

I thought 'Millenial rites' with the 6'th Doctor was good. We
get to see both Mel's character more, and the Doctor's (His
obsession with the you-know-who) and the other charecters get a
decent outing, IMO

Jeffery Beuck

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

peri (pi...@panix.com) wrote:

: For me, the DW episodes I've loved have centered on the personal -

: I love to get into a characters' head and learn more about him. So
: with that in mind, can anyone reccommend NA's/MA's that focus on the

: characterizations of the Doctor & his companions?

Timewyrm: Revelation is probably one of the ultimate trips into the
Doctor's "head".

For other great characterizations of the Doctor and his new
companions, try Love and War, Human Nature, Original Sin, and Just
War.

Umm ... I can't really recommend any MA's that are good for this
... Attack of the Cat People gave us an interesting perspective on Ben
and Polly ... Dancing the Code gives us a way-over-the-top
characterization of Jo Grant ... the rest of the MA's I've read
haven't gone into much detail, though.

|) The Artist Formerly Known as Jeff

SylviaT190

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

dgol...@halls1.cc.monash.edu.au (David GOLDING) writes:

> Revelation (Ace, Doc)
> Warhead (Ace, Doc)
> Love and War (Ace, Doc, Benny)
> Transit (Doc)
> Lucifer Rising (Ace, Benny, Doc)
> Set Piece (Ace, Benny, Doc)
> The Also People (Benny, Roz, Chris, Doc)
> Just War (Benny, Roz, Chris, Mel, Doc)

To that list, I'd add:

Human Nature by Paul Cornell, and Sleepy by Kate Orman. Original Sin
by Andy Lane also has some good characterization.

Grant Watson

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

pi...@panix.com (peri) splurged forth:

>For me, the DW episodes I've loved have centered on the personal - I love to get into a
>characters' head

...try Timewyrm: Revelation, by PauL Cornell. : )

Cheers!
Grant.

__________...@iinet.net.au________________
"Ii tyni no tyni watewa. Hehehe..."
(GREEDO, STAR WARS)

David GOLDING

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

In article <4q7lpr$m...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> sylvi...@aol.com (SylviaT190) writes:
>In article <4q06dh$g...@news1.panix.com> pi...@panix.com (peri) writes:

>> can anyone reccommend NA's/MA's that focus on the characterizations of
>>the Doctor & his companions?

[snip list I wrote]

> To that list, I'd add:

Well, I did say there were more...the ones I typed were just the first that
came to mind.

> Human Nature by Paul Cornell, and Sleepy by Kate Orman. Original Sin
>by Andy Lane also has some good characterization.

But I wouldn't add these two. Kate characterises the Doctor billiantly
*again* in "Sleepy"; however Chris and Roz aren't quite their normal
selves (a common complaint), and Benny quite often slips in this one.

"Human Nature" is spoiled in my mind by it's extremely sparse text. The
ideas are there, and the characters are certainly there, but other than
dialogue, they just don't seem to be nailed down by the writing. (The first
time I read this was another exam period, and I skimmed it quickly, by
basically only reading the dialogue. Diagnosis: brilliant. On the second,
full read, I noticed the writing problem. Seemed like Paul had all the
stuff, but not the time to write it properly.)

Anyways, you really need to read some other books before you get to "Human
Nature". In particular, "Sanctuary". And I wouldn't start a newbie there...

Dave

Terisa

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

Peri/Peria mentioned she liked character driven DW. Espeically when they
got into the character's head.

Grant Watson(?) suggested Timewyrm: Revelation by Paul Cornell

How about Head Games by Steve Lyons(?).

Terisa

"Maybe you need a doctor." Peri
"Are you trying to be funny?" 6th Doctor

Peri / Piera

Jun 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/26/96

Thank you all for the NA/MA advice! Looks like I've got a lot of reading to do!

Cheers,
piera