Bomb in Manchester

Lori Grenci

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

The bomb made front page this morning in the NY Times.
Hope everyone is OK.
-Lori-

Nick Smale

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

In article <4q16kn$4...@sjx-ixn2.ix.netcom.com>,
da...@ix.netcom.com (Lori Grenci) wrote:

? The bomb made front page this morning in the NY Times.
? Hope everyone is OK.

There are quite a few r.a.dw-ers here in Manchester - me, Si Jerram, Sue
Denim, Chris Thornett, "ro...@jpd.ch.man.ac.uk", plus a couple of occasional
posters at Salford University and UMIST. Obviously I can't speak for anyone
else, but I'm certainly okay.

On an average Saturday morning I would have been shopping in the city
centre at around the time of the blast (the epicentre was just outside
Marks and Spencer, where I make most of my weekend food purchases, and
about a hundred metres from the essential SF and comics shop Odyssey 7) but
as it happened I've had to finish off some work at home this weekend, and
so at 11.20am I was sitting here in front of the computer.

Much of the city centre is still cordoned off by the police, and so I
haven't had the chance to take a look yet - but from what I've seen on TV
and in the newspapers, that whole oh-so-familiar area is utterly
devastated...

- Nick Smale, Manchester, UK

ObWho: The sites of both this year's big terrorist bombs have featured in
the Missing Adventures - the London docklands in "Millenial Rites" and the
Manchester Arndale Centre in "Goth Opera". One can only hope that the IRA
will pick their next target from the MAs, and piss off to Venus...

Terisa

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

Nick Smale wrote:

> In article <4q16kn$4...@sjx-ixn2.ix.netcom.com>,
> da...@ix.netcom.com (Lori Grenci) wrote:
>
> ? The bomb made front page this morning in the NY Times.
> ? Hope everyone is OK.
>
> There are quite a few r.a.dw-ers here in Manchester - me, Si Jerram, Sue Denim, Chris Thornett, "ro...@jpd.ch.man.ac.uk", plus a couple of
occasional posters at Salford University and UMIST. Obviously I can't
speak for anyone else, but I'm certainly okay.
> (Snipped info about the bombing)

> - Nick Smale, Manchester, UK
>
> ObWho: The sites of both this year's big terrorist bombs have featured in the Missing Adventures - the London docklands in "Millenial Rites" and
the Manchester Arndale Centre in "Goth Opera". One can only hope that the
IRA will pick their next target from the MAs, and piss off to Venus...

I'm curious. With the UK being bombed so often, and the US recently
getting introduced to terrorist bombings, am I the only one who had any
problems with Ace's gung-ho approach to explosives? Ace thought blowing
things up was a fun thing to do. I personally don't find people being
crushed under rubble fun.

Am I the only one who feels like this?

Terisa

"953...that's my age. And the Rani's." 7th Doctor (Alternative sign
off in celebration of the my 21st birthday.)

Stewart M Milakovic

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

Nick Smale (ni...@smale.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: Manchester Arndale Centre in "Goth Opera". One can only hope that the IRA

: will pick their next target from the MAs, and piss off to Venus...

We can only hope......

Stewart

David GOLDING

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

In article <31C491...@mail.sdsu.edu> Terisa <tlam...@mail.sdsu.edu> writes:

>I'm curious. With the UK being bombed so often, and the US recently
>getting introduced to terrorist bombings, am I the only one who had any
>problems with Ace's gung-ho approach to explosives? Ace thought blowing
>things up was a fun thing to do. I personally don't find people being
>crushed under rubble fun.

It depends where you draw the line really. I mean the Doctor *kills* people.
But I don't let that stand in the way of my enjoyment at the most basic
level. At more complex levels, I understand how other people can believe in
the justification of killing. (If you really want to consider being crushed
under rubble, perhaps you might watch "Doctor Who and the Silurians" again?)

Dave
--

david by default ... dgol...@halls1.cc.monash.edu.au
*converting Dave is like converting a television into a microwave*

Martin Nike

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

Nick Smale (ni...@smale.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: On an average Saturday morning I would have been shopping in the city

: centre at around the time of the blast (the epicentre was just outside
: Marks and Spencer, where I make most of my weekend food purchases, and
: about a hundred metres from the essential SF and comics shop Odyssey 7) but
: as it happened I've had to finish off some work at home this weekend, and
: so at 11.20am I was sitting here in front of the computer.

Yep, it was quite a shock. If I still lived at home,
then there's a strong chance I would've been in Manc
city centre that morning.

I used to use Odyssey 7, but now I find myself in the vicinity
of Birmingham... Andromeda Bookshop! Ya! Get that credit card
out!

--
Martin Nike
Correct Systems Research Group,

W Randall

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

Lori Grenci (da...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:

: The bomb made front page this morning in the NY Times.
: Hope everyone is OK.
: ^^^^^^^^
-Lori-

Yep, only a few wobbles here in Sheffield, and I
heard that at Wembley, only a few seats were broken..

Terisa

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

Dave GOLDING responded to my post, and this is my response to his.

Perhaps I didn't state my original post right. My main problem with Ace
was that the fact she enjoyed destroying things. Sure the Doctor 'kills'
but he doesn't enjoy it. He sure didn't like what happened at the end of
Dr. Who and the Suliarians (I think that's how it's spelled).

Ace liked destroying things and had a reckless attitude towards her
explosives. When she destroyed the art room, she didn't think about the
fact she could have hurt people, but the fact she had destroyed the room.
She thought it was funny. Would she have thought it was funny if
somebody had gotten hurt?

The Doctor didn't seem to like Ace's attitude towards her explosives. He
was always trying to get her to stop making them. Though he's guilty of
encouraging her in some stories by using them himself.

I guess I just have a problem with Ace getting her kicks out of
destroying things.

Maybe if she had blown a couple of her fingers off like a lot of kids I
know who dabble with home made explosives, we wouldn't be having this
discussion.

Terisa

"I never liked this planet, Doctor." the Master
"Well that's good, because at any moment it shall cease to exist. What'
the time?" 8th Doctor

Jason

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

Terisa:
: I'm curious. With the UK being bombed so often, and the US recently
: getting introduced to terrorist bombings, am I the only one who had any
: problems with Ace's gung-ho approach to explosives? Ace thought blowing
: things up was a fun thing to do. I personally don't find people being
: crushed under rubble fun.

Blowing things up can be fun. Why do you think people like watching
buildings being demolished? =-)

Blowing *people* up is a different matter.

Explosives only kill people if other people mean them to (okay, barring
accidents). I have friends (slightly less than sane ones admittedly) who
think that putting an old television out in a patch of waste ground,
putting an aerosol can inside it, setting fire to it and shooting the
can with a pellet gun is fun. But they would never *hurt* anyone to
have that fun.
--
Jason =-) - - -- ------------------------------------------------ -- - -
"Gentlemen. May I remind you this is a court of law. Not a debating

David GOLDING

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

In article <4q4gni$s...@hole.sdsu.edu> Terisa <tlam...@mail.sdsu.edu> writes:

>Perhaps I didn't state my original post right. My main problem with Ace
>was that the fact she enjoyed destroying things. Sure the Doctor 'kills'
>but he doesn't enjoy it. He sure didn't like what happened at the end of
>Dr. Who and the Suliarians (I think that's how it's spelled).

It was the Brigadier who buried the Silurians. I meant that the Brigadier is
like the terrorists.

>Ace liked destroying things and had a reckless attitude towards her
>explosives. When she destroyed the art room, she didn't think about the
>fact she could have hurt people, but the fact she had destroyed the room.
>She thought it was funny. Would she have thought it was funny if
>somebody had gotten hurt?
>The Doctor didn't seem to like Ace's attitude towards her explosives. He
>was always trying to get her to stop making them. Though he's guilty of
>encouraging her in some stories by using them himself.
>I guess I just have a problem with Ace getting her kicks out of
>destroying things.
>Maybe if she had blown a couple of her fingers off like a lot of kids I
>know who dabble with home made explosives, we wouldn't be having this
>discussion.

So it's okay if she doesn't enjoy it? I'm not sure I see the relevance
between this and the original post about terrorism.

David J. A. Lewis

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

ni...@smale.demon.co.uk (Nick Smale) wrote:
>In article <4q16kn$4...@sjx-ixn2.ix.netcom.com>,
>da...@ix.netcom.com (Lori Grenci) wrote:
>
>? The bomb made front page this morning in the NY Times.
>? Hope everyone is OK.
>
>There are quite a few r.a.dw-ers here in Manchester - me, Si Jerram, Sue
>Denim, Chris Thornett, "ro...@jpd.ch.man.ac.uk", plus a couple of occasional
>posters at Salford University and UMIST. Obviously I can't speak for anyone
>else, but I'm certainly okay.
>
>On an average Saturday morning I would have been shopping in the city
>centre at around the time of the blast (the epicentre was just outside
>Marks and Spencer, where I make most of my weekend food purchases, and
>about a hundred metres from the essential SF and comics shop Odyssey 7) but
>as it happened I've had to finish off some work at home this weekend, and
>so at 11.20am I was sitting here in front of the computer.
>
>Much of the city centre is still cordoned off by the police, and so I
>haven't had the chance to take a look yet - but from what I've seen on TV
>and in the newspapers, that whole oh-so-familiar area is utterly
>devastated...
>
> - Nick Smale, Manchester, UK
>
>ObWho: The sites of both this year's big terrorist bombs have featured in
>the Missing Adventures - the London docklands in "Millenial Rites" and the
>Manchester Arndale Centre in "Goth Opera". One can only hope that the IRA
>will pick their next target from the MAs, and piss off to Venus...

I hope Sinclairs (in Shambles Square) is OK, I don't think I could find
anywhere to replace it.

--
Dai

Me, not allowed ? But I'm allowed everywhere !
----------------------
I've seen it, and I like it,
Now give me MORE

Nick Smale

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

?
? >Much of the city centre is still cordoned off by the police, and so I
? >haven't had the chance to take a look yet - but from what I've seen on
TV
? >and in the newspapers, that whole oh-so-familiar area is utterly
? >devastated...

? I hope Sinclairs (in Shambles Square) is OK, I don't think I could find
? anywhere to replace it.

It's hard to say yet - the police still have the area around Marks and
Spencer cordoned off from the public, and the photos I've seen don't cover
Shambles Square. However judging from the destruction I saw when I walked
down Market St and High St last night, I'd guess that Sinclairs, which is
much closer to the blast point, could be quite extensively damaged.

- Nick Smale

Talkie Toaster

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

In article <31C491...@mail.sdsu.edu> Terisa <tlam...@mail.sdsu.edu> writes:
>From: Terisa <tlam...@mail.sdsu.edu>
>Subject: Re: Bomb in Manchester
>Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 15:59:19 -0700

>Nick Smale wrote:
>>
>> In article <4q16kn$4...@sjx-ixn2.ix.netcom.com>,
>> da...@ix.netcom.com (Lori Grenci) wrote:
>>
>> ? The bomb made front page this morning in the NY Times.
>> ? Hope everyone is OK.
>>
>> There are quite a few r.a.dw-ers here in Manchester - me, Si Jerram, Sue Denim, Chris Thornett, "ro...@jpd.ch.man.ac.uk", plus a couple of
>occasional posters at Salford University and UMIST. Obviously I can't
>speak for anyone else, but I'm certainly okay.

>> (Snipped info about the bombing)
>>

>> - Nick Smale, Manchester, UK
>>
>> ObWho: The sites of both this year's big terrorist bombs have featured in the Missing Adventures - the London docklands in "Millenial Rites" and
>the Manchester Arndale Centre in "Goth Opera". One can only hope that the
>IRA will pick their next target from the MAs, and piss off to Venus...

>I'm curious. With the UK being bombed so often, and the US recently
>getting introduced to terrorist bombings, am I the only one who had any
>problems with Ace's gung-ho approach to explosives? Ace thought blowing
>things up was a fun thing to do. I personally don't find people being
>crushed under rubble fun.

She didn't enjoy blowing up people, only buildings, etc. She wasn't that
much of a nutter! In the case of some buildings here in Rotterdam (the
Netherlands) I sincerely wish they get visited by someone like Ace.

Martijn

Iain McCord

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

In article <ADEA14F99...@smale.demon.co.uk>,

Nick Smale <ni...@smale.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Manchester Arndale Centre in "Goth Opera". One can only hope that the IRA
>will pick their next target from the MAs, and piss off to Venus...
Hope they can spell, and don't bomb Venice instead.
--
Iain M`Cord

ro...@jpd.ch.man.ac.uk

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

Lori Grenci (da...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:

: The bomb made front page this morning in the NY Times.
: Hope everyone is OK.

I had a choice that weekend, of shopping or going to Wales on
a walking holiday. I don't know whether to be grateful that I
was relatively safe, walking up Cair Idris, or ashamed that I
could even consider enjoying such a holiday, given how many
very nearly never enjoyed anything again.

Nick Smale

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

In article <talkie.2...@xs4all.nl>,
tal...@xs4all.nl (Talkie Toaster) wrote:

? In the case of some buildings here in Rotterdam (the Netherlands)
? I sincerely wish they get visited by someone like Ace.

This is one of the ironies of the Manchester bomb. Apparently the (horrible
monolithic nineteen sixties) Arndale shopping centre has been so
extensively damaged that much of it might have to be demolished - and thus
replaced by a (fingers crossed) much more attractive contemporary building!

- Nick Smale

David J. A. Lewis

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

m...@dcs.shef.ac.uk (Martin Nike) wrote:
>Nick Smale (ni...@smale.demon.co.uk) wrote:
>: ? I hope Sinclairs (in Shambles Square) is OK, I don't think I could find
>: ? anywhere to replace it.
>
>: It's hard to say yet - the police still have the area around Marks and
>: Spencer cordoned off from the public, and the photos I've seen don't cover
>: Shambles Square. However judging from the destruction I saw when I walked
>: down Market St and High St last night, I'd guess that Sinclairs, which is
>: much closer to the blast point, could be quite extensively damaged.
>: - Nick Smale
>
>Is Shamble's square that awful concrete thing behind M&S, with
>the gorgeous medieval timber building sitting in it? (The City
>centre's oldest building, as far as I know [Although the cathedral
>may be older])

>--
>Martin Nike
>Correct Systems Research Group,
>Dept. Of Computer Science, University Of Sheffield, England

Yes, those two gorgeous old Inns that sit in the centre of that awful
concrete squre, purveyors of exceptionally fine ales, Oh please
nooooo.....Save Sinclairs.

Martin Nike

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

David J. A. Lewis

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

Yes, but at the loss of the lovely old Royal Exchange building, and
Sinclairs and the Welly, or so I'm informed.

Bamfer

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

:
: Perhaps I didn't state my original post right. My main problem with Ace
: was that the fact she enjoyed destroying things. Sure the Doctor 'kills'
: but he doesn't enjoy it. He sure didn't like what happened at the end of
: Dr. Who and the Suliarians (I think that's how it's spelled).
:
: Ace liked destroying things and had a reckless attitude towards her
: explosives. When she destroyed the art room, she didn't think about the
: fact she could have hurt people, but the fact she had destroyed the room.
: She thought it was funny. Would she have thought it was funny if
: somebody had gotten hurt?

I know I'm going to sound a little like a sick puppy, but I do like to
destroy things now and then. I do it very judiciously, of course, I
have no wish to harm anyone. I also like to blow up things (I've
actually tied grasshoppers up to bottle rockets and such, and I
was around 18 at the time, well we had a plague of the damn things
you see...). I go a little nuts on 4th of July (US independence day),
and have accidentally set fires, and nearly had my own fingers blown
off.

So I really identify with Ace here. It's terrible, it's immature,
yes, people can get hurt, but there you are. At least now I try
to make sure no one except myself gets hurt in the process.

: The Doctor didn't seem to like Ace's attitude towards her explosives. He

: was always trying to get her to stop making them. Though he's guilty of
: encouraging her in some stories by using them himself.

Yes, but that's the 7th Doctor for you: manipulative. When Ace's
predilictions were of use to him, he used it. No, he didn't
like it, but he was probably more worried about her hurting herself
than anything.

: I guess I just have a problem with Ace getting her kicks out of
: destroying things.

I'm afraid lots of people do, especially when they are younger.

: Maybe if she had blown a couple of her fingers off like a lot of kids I

: know who dabble with home made explosives, we wouldn't be having this
: discussion.

The danger is part of the attraction, you see. It's no fun if there isn't
risk.

Sonja
--lans...@scf.nmsu.edu bam...@acca.nmsu.edu
"Independence limited, Freedom of choice
Choice is made for you my friend, Freedom of speech
Speech is words that they will bend, Freedom with their exception"
-- "Eye of the Beholder", Metallica