Earliest memories of Who....

Gareth G. Jelley Esq.

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
Steve Day <steve...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:b4asjsgtr1f4rda26...@4ax.com...
> I suppose mine was probably Destiny of the Daleks, the TARDIS being
on
> the rocks was an image I had in my head for years afterwards. I can
> also remember being terrified of Scaroth in City of Death. Both
these
> memories would be when I was 5.
>
> The earliest story I remember following was probably Logopolis,
again
> the images in that story held a certain candle - 2 TARDI, the Master
> etc.

I think mine was of the Veroid POV shot in ToaTL...

And then the Candyman...

And then the little girl as Dalek controller...

Gareth.

Steve Day

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
I suppose mine was probably Destiny of the Daleks, the TARDIS being on
the rocks was an image I had in my head for years afterwards. I can
also remember being terrified of Scaroth in City of Death. Both these
memories would be when I was 5.

The earliest story I remember following was probably Logopolis, again
the images in that story held a certain candle - 2 TARDI, the Master
etc.

*
This is a local football club for local people
There's nothing for you here.....
(Football League of Gentlemen)
*

Severian

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
Steve Day <steve...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I suppose mine was probably Destiny of the Daleks, the TARDIS being on
> the rocks was an image I had in my head for years afterwards. I can
> also remember being terrified of Scaroth in City of Death. Both these
> memories would be when I was 5.
>
> The earliest story I remember following was probably Logopolis, again
> the images in that story held a certain candle - 2 TARDI, the Master
> etc.

Mine is The Sea Devils - Jon Pertwee being chased through the sea fort by
one of them, hot to prevent his future career as Worzel Gummidge. Now *that*
would have been a loss. :) I must have been 4 at the time.
--
Professor Kettlewell (angst-ridden automata a specialty)
termin...@severian.demon.co.uk

Geoff Phillips

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
My earliest moments were the Troughton episode where the Tardis was blown
apart, just leaving the console floating in space, with the crew holding on
for dear life. Also, the Medusa bit from the same story haunted me for a
while.

I have vague memories of some scary jelly-like creature earlier, but I could
never work out what story that came from, possibly a late Hartnell story.

I must have been a bit of a cowardly cutlet when I was young.

Geoff

Steve Day <steve...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I suppose mine was probably Destiny of the Daleks, the TARDIS being on
> the rocks was an image I had in my head for years afterwards. I can
> also remember being terrified of Scaroth in City of Death. Both these
> memories would be when I was 5.
>
> The earliest story I remember following was probably Logopolis, again
> the images in that story held a certain candle - 2 TARDI, the Master
> etc.

James

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00

Steve Day <steve...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I suppose mine was probably Destiny of the Daleks, the TARDIS being on
> the rocks was an image I had in my head for years afterwards. I can
> also remember being terrified of Scaroth in City of Death. Both these
> memories would be when I was 5.
>
> The earliest story I remember following was probably Logopolis, again
> the images in that story held a certain candle - 2 TARDI, the Master
> etc.

The first time I realised that Dr Who was a TV series and not a series of
movies was when I was about 4 or 5, and they were showing 'The Brain of
Morbius' on the ABC. This was probably also the first episode which I
didn't run away from before the intro-sequence had finished, hehe. I think
the first full story I watched was Genesis of the Daleks.

--James.

David Brunt

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00

Steve Day wrote in message ...

>I suppose mine was probably Destiny of the Daleks, the TARDIS being on
>the rocks was an image I had in my head for years afterwards. I can
>also remember being terrified of Scaroth in City of Death. Both these
>memories would be when I was 5.

Is it that time of year already....?

Captain Knight being killed by the Yeti in the shop in 'The Web of Fear' ep
4, at a very young age.

David

Shaft Tse Tung

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
The living heads on Rassilon's Tomb from the Five Doctors. And it scared
the fucking shit out of me for some unfathomable reason. I was probably
about 5 at the time.

--
Chairman Shaft Tse Tung
You're damn right he's a complicated man that no one understands!

"Here's the everlasting rub: Neither am I good nor bad"

john long

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
Geoff Phillips wrote:

> My earliest moments were the Troughton episode where the Tardis was blown
> apart, just leaving the console floating in space, with the crew holding on
> for dear life. Also, the Medusa bit from the same story haunted me for a
> while.

What story was that? Sounds interesting.

--
john long -- AIM Cracker499

john long

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
Steve Day wrote:

> I suppose mine was probably Destiny of the Daleks, the TARDIS being on
> the rocks was an image I had in my head for years afterwards. I can
> also remember being terrified of Scaroth in City of Death. Both these
> memories would be when I was 5.
>
> The earliest story I remember following was probably Logopolis, again
> the images in that story held a certain candle - 2 TARDI, the Master
> etc.

The drashigs in the swamp. The sea monster. The tardis being pulled
out of the scope and growing to full size. This was the first stuff I
saw. I was hooked then, obviously.

Richard A DiTullio Jr.

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
john long (jl...@epix.net) wrote:

The Mind Robber.

-- Rich D.

gal8

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00

john long wrote:

> Geoff Phillips wrote:
> >
> > My earliest moments were the Troughton episode where the Tardis was blown
> > apart, just leaving the console floating in space, with the crew holding on
> > for dear life. Also, the Medusa bit from the same story haunted me for a
> > while.
>
> What story was that? Sounds interesting.
>

> It was called "The Mind Robber" were the Doctor and his compainion are
> trnsported to a land of fiction. On there way to dicovering who the Master of
> the world is they encounter many fictional characters such a Gulliver, the
> Minator and Medusa.

Adam Richards

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
On Wed, 07 Jun 2000 11:50:20 +0100, Steve Day
<steve...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I suppose mine was probably Destiny of the Daleks, the TARDIS being on
>the rocks was an image I had in my head for years afterwards. I can
>also remember being terrified of Scaroth in City of Death. Both these
>memories would be when I was 5.
>
>The earliest story I remember following was probably Logopolis, again
>the images in that story held a certain candle - 2 TARDI, the Master
>etc.

Growing up in the States, my first memory was of seeing the two Peter
Cushing Dalek movies on TV. I think they're crap now, though when I
was about 4 years old (1970) they were like the most frightening
movies ever made!

I didn't see the series proper though until I was 12 years old when my
PBS station showed it from "Robot" onwards....

Adam Richards Ad...@roblang.demon.co.uk

mitchboyandy

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
Weirdly, my earliest memory (which may even be utter shite), was
of a woman being lead around an effects workshop/exhibition by
K9. Think it was probably Blue Peter so I get the impression it
may have been Janet Ellis. Anyone know if this really occured or
did I dream it? Other than that it had to be Tom Baker falling
at the end of Logopolis...

Nigel

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
My first memory too was 'Destiny of the Daleks'. Remember vividly wondering
why Floella Benjamin was in the cast ... OK, so she wasn't but she had the
same beads in her hair as those spooky Movellans did, and I was 7 at the
time.

Think the next thing I remember too was Logopolis, with Tegan belly-aching
at Aunt Vanessa for being late, then the Master turning her into a little
Doll thing (Thank god !) .. And finally the watcher, erm watching good old
Tom.

Have plenty of memories from then on.

Nigel,
www.gallifrey5.co.uk

Steve Day <steve...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> I suppose mine was probably Destiny of the Daleks, the TARDIS being on
> the rocks was an image I had in my head for years afterwards. I can
> also remember being terrified of Scaroth in City of Death. Both these
> memories would be when I was 5.
>
> The earliest story I remember following was probably Logopolis, again
> the images in that story held a certain candle - 2 TARDI, the Master
> etc.

Nigel

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
Don't know about anybody else, but I'd much rather watch the film version of
Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150AD for an hour and a half, than sit through the
(rather dull) TV story from which it originated.

Nigel,
www.gallifrey5.co.uk

Adam Richards <Ad...@roblang.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Growing up in the States, my first memory was of seeing the two Peter
> Cushing Dalek movies on TV. I think they're crap now, though when I
> was about 4 years old (1970) they were like the most frightening
> movies ever made!

> Adam Richards Ad...@roblang.demon.co.uk

Alex Steer

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00

Steve Day <steve...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I suppose mine was probably Destiny of the Daleks, the TARDIS being on
> the rocks was an image I had in my head for years afterwards. I can
> also remember being terrified of Scaroth in City of Death. Both these
> memories would be when I was 5.
>
> The earliest story I remember following was probably Logopolis, again
> the images in that story held a certain candle - 2 TARDI, the Master
> etc.

Mine was the end sequence of Revelation of the Daleks, where the Renegades
led Davros away through those very Gothic corridors.

Alex

Joxer

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00

Steve Day <steve...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I suppose mine was probably Destiny of the Daleks, the TARDIS being on
> the rocks was an image I had in my head for years afterwards. I can
> also remember being terrified of Scaroth in City of Death. Both these
> memories would be when I was 5.
>
> The earliest story I remember following was probably Logopolis, again
> the images in that story held a certain candle - 2 TARDI, the Master
> etc.

The Doctor and Rebec stumbling across the Dalek army in Planet otD,
though I didn't become a fan for another 5 or 6 years somehow, with the
Key to Time season
--
Colin B. - baggy, and a bit loose at the seams...
...but Emily loved him

Andy Cosstick

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
Mine was Ace drawing the chalk circle in 'Battlefield', but I have some
vague memory of Tom Baker and some egyptian coffin with dodgy sfx.

>> You're in a Red Alert situation but the electrics are down - do you send
the crew a memo politely informing them of the situation, or do you put on a
red balaclava and start flashing?

Ed Jefferson

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
Mine's the bit in 'The Daemons', in episode 2, I think, where the Brigadier is
trying to get through the force field thingy.

--
Or something...
Ed Jefferson, posting through time from 2004

http://members.xoom.com/radwdatabank Are *you* in the RADW databank?
http://.../upgbook/ The Alt. Book Programme Guide
not iluvjam BTW

Nick Lancaster

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
<steve...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I suppose mine was probably Destiny of the Daleks, the TARDIS being on
>the rocks was an image I had in my head for years afterwards. I can
>also remember being terrified of Scaroth in City of Death. Both these
>memories would be when I was 5.
>
>The earliest story I remember following was probably Logopolis, again
>the images in that story held a certain candle - 2 TARDI, the Master
>etc.

That little baby thing in Delta.

Then: The Dalek dying at the end of Remembrance (but nothing else from
the story), the Kandyman, the Doctor and Ace running around outside
(Silver Nemesis?), the Ringmaster's rap, the helicopter in
Battlefield, Dr Judson, the fake cat in Survival.

Then nothing for years.

love,
Nick
-I just want to get drunk and headbang
http://go.to/lanky

Joe Sueiras

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
Terror of the Autons, watched on a brand-spanking new colour TV,
aged 7. I remember we had a vase of yellow plastic daffodils
(yes, really) in the hall, which I eyed *very* suspiciously for
weeks after ...

Joe.

Multimus_Pob

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
The 'nice' Denis Carey Borad from Timelash, and Stengos...
bloody hell... I'm actually OLDER than some people on this
newsgroup. Suddenly heartened that many of the limited pixies*
who go ON and frootling* ARISTON about how they don't like
McCoy, like pups with bones ballet dancing on a stuck record,
actually still might have a chance to grow up.

Saying 'twats' and 'fucking' suddenly seems terribly wrong
somehow.

SmegheadJB

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
Well, my earliest memory was of The Stones of Blood - the scene where the
campers discover the Ogri, investigate, and are trapped and killed when they
touch it. Gosh, I must've been 8 or 9, I'd guess, and I didn't know at the
time what I was watching. Only later did I find I had been watching Doctor
Who.

The first story I remember watching, knowing what it was, was "The Mutants" a
year or so later -- only I was expecting it to be half an hour or an hour like
US TV shows were, and PBS was screening the whole thing at once, edited into
"movie format". It started at 4 and I was a pretty confused kid when 5:00
rolled around and the plot was STILL branching out. (Sure, I remember that,
but don't ask me what I wore to work yesterday...:-)) Anyway, I don't think I
made it to the end, my attention span being rather short at the time. For
years afterwards, though, I was convinced I had watched Tom Baker in the role,
just because he was by far the most recognizable Doctor in the States.

I remember seeing part or all of "The Armageddon Factor" a bit later on (STILL
an all-time fave, maybe because I still watch it through the eyes of a 10-year
old).

The story that hooked me on the show was "Earthshock", which I saw here in late
1984. That ship hit the Earth and my life changed...:-)

Smeg

Cardinal Zorak

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
At least the film has the wonderful Philip Madoc! But no Slyther :-(

Cardinal Z
"If he wants to torture you, you won't Torquemada'f it!"
--
Nigel <ni...@gallifrey5.co.uk> wrote in message

Keith Brookes

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00

Steve Day <steve...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I suppose mine was probably Destiny of the Daleks, the TARDIS being on
> the rocks was an image I had in my head for years afterwards. I can
> also remember being terrified of Scaroth in City of Death. Both these
> memories would be when I was 5.
>
> The earliest story I remember following was probably Logopolis, again
> the images in that story held a certain candle - 2 TARDI, the Master
> etc.

My first Who memory was my father modelling his new glow in the dark Doctor
Who shirt which he got at the last pledge drive (the one with The Five
Doctors and Snakdance which we still have the tape of, consequencially). It
was a 25th Anniversary shirt, so it must have been 1988, when I was about
three or four.

My first episode memory comes come time around 1990, as we had already moved
into a different house. I was laying on the floor of my mom's room,
watching the TV. She was watching Doctor Who. All I can remember is
Davison running along, with autumn leaves behind him. Then he was looking
down at something. I closed my eyes, and when I opened them, the credits
had started.

I've sort of placed this to Mawdryn Undead pt.1, but this may be wrong. Any
other ideas?

Keith

Keith Brookes

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00

Chris Cwej <cw...@thecia.co.uk_this_bit_is_a_spamfilter_remove_to_use> wrote
in message news:ugftjscvq498asafc...@4ax.com...
> The earliest memory I have is of the TARDIS taking off without Romana
> in Full Circle.... the spiders stuck in my mind for a LONG time.
>
> A few years back now I managed to work out one other very early memory
> (and this just goes to show how the memory really cheats when you're
> thinking back to something from your childhood).
>
> I remembered it as a Troughton episode, the ending of which was this.
> The Doctor and his companions (Jamie and Zoe) are standing round the
> console, waiting for the image on the scanner to clear. They get
> impatient and leave the TARDIS early. The image clears just after I
> left and it's a forrest, the trees in which are made entirely out of
> bones and there's a sign (complete with skull and crossbones) saying
> Danger...

It sound like the end of 100,000 BC part 4...sort of, anyway.

Keith

Miche Doherty

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
wrote:

> The earliest memory I have is of the TARDIS taking off without Romana
> in Full Circle.... the spiders stuck in my mind for a LONG time.
>
> A few years back now I managed to work out one other very early memory
> (and this just goes to show how the memory really cheats when you're
> thinking back to something from your childhood).
>
> I remembered it as a Troughton episode, the ending of which was this.
> The Doctor and his companions (Jamie and Zoe) are standing round the
> console, waiting for the image on the scanner to clear. They get
> impatient and leave the TARDIS early. The image clears just after I
> left and it's a forrest, the trees in which are made entirely out of
> bones and there's a sign (complete with skull and crossbones) saying
> Danger...
>

> Actually, before I say what this memory turned out to be, anyone care
> to try and unscramble it? I know for definite know what the answer is
> and, if it helps, I'm 23 years old....

I'd guess the last episode of An Unearthly Child/100,000 BC in the
repeat series The Five Faces of Doctor Who, 1981. Troughton and co.
probably come into it because The Krotons was the following week.

Miche.
--
I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.
(Douglas Adams)

Paul Andinach

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, mitchboyandy wrote:

> Weirdly, my earliest memory (which may even be utter shite), was
> of a woman being lead around an effects workshop/exhibition by K9.
> Think it was probably Blue Peter so I get the impression it may
> have been Janet Ellis. Anyone know if this really occured or did I
> dream it?

Could it have been one of the TARDIS workshop scenes in Invasion of
Time?

Paul
--
"What is love? Is it a small furry creature coming out of his little
burrow, scavenging for things, then returning to his little burrow,

Paul Andinach

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Chris Cwej wrote:

> A few years back now I managed to work out one other very early
> memory (and this just goes to show how the memory really cheats
> when you're thinking back to something from your childhood).
>
> I remembered it as a Troughton episode, the ending of which was
> this. The Doctor and his companions (Jamie and Zoe) are standing
> round the console, waiting for the image on the scanner to clear.
> They get impatient and leave the TARDIS early. The image clears
> just after I left and it's a forrest, the trees in which are made
> entirely out of bones and there's a sign (complete with skull and
> crossbones) saying Danger...
>
> Actually, before I say what this memory turned out to be, anyone
> care to try and unscramble it? I know for definite know what the
> answer is and, if it helps, I'm 23 years old....

It sounds, in principle at least, a lot like the cliffhanger at the
end of An Unearthly Child/beginning of The Daleks.

Matt Michael

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
My earliest memory full stop is of Tom Baker regenerating into Peter Davison
at the start of Castrovalva. I was nearly three at the time.

matt

David Brunt

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
Paul Andinach wrote in message ...

>On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, mitchboyandy wrote:
>
>> Weirdly, my earliest memory (which may even be utter shite), was
>> of a woman being lead around an effects workshop/exhibition by K9.
>> Think it was probably Blue Peter so I get the impression it may
>> have been Janet Ellis. Anyone know if this really occured or did I
>> dream it?
>
>Could it have been one of the TARDIS workshop scenes in Invasion of
>Time?

It could be any number of things.

Several 'BP' items, though I don't recall Janet Ellis doing a K9 item.
Might be the Tina Heath visiting the Longleat Exhibition item from 1980.

Mat Irvine & K9 visit the Science Museum in 'Saturday Superstore' in 1984.

I think that's the brief 'Saturday Superstore' insert c1985/6 - Sarah
Greene tours the Visual FX Workshop and meets K9.

Hang on, 'Open Air' had an item about the VFW in 1990 which had Janet
Ellis. I don't recall K9, but it *could* be that.....

David

Cameron Mason

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
Ark in Space - last run on the ABC, 1987 IIRC.
Ahhhhh, memories...
Cameron
--
:(|) Official Sponser and web host of the 1999 - 2000 Adrics
Visit the Adrics on-line:-

john long

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
I remember after I discovered Carnival of Monsters, I kept watching all
the way through seasons 10 and 11, then the doctor regenerated into Tom
Baker which left me very cold and bitter, like I couldn't believe that
the doctor I knew was gone forever, and me being a kid I couldn't make
the transition and stopped watching the show sometime during season 12.
I just kept thinking that the new doctor was such a goof and wondered
how he could possibly be so different from the previous doctor. In any
case, years later I learned my lesson and had grown up and had watched
all the Tom Baker stories and realized how fantastic they were. And I
also realized that there was no reason to be sad because I could get the
tapes of all the Pertwee stories, even ones that I had never seem before
and watch them whenever I wanted to. Of course, when your a kid you
don't think that way. I just assumed that Pertwee was gone and I'd
never see him again. The whole regeneration concept boggled my mind.
It was so completely unexpected at the time, since I knew very little
about DW. I didn't know there were other doctors besides Pertwee. I
only knew what I had seen, seasons 10 and 11, which do reveal quite a
bit about the show if you think about it, but they don't prepare you for
a whole new doctor.

David Embery

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
I remember the Doctor's hat being set on fire in 'The Androids of Tara' from
1978 then bits from 'Destiny of the Daleks' and 'City of Death' in 1979.

Actually I probably remember the 'Tara' bit from the 1979 repeat meaning
'Doctor Who' scarred me for life when I was exactly 5 years old.

David Embery

Gillian Walker

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
Just the music and credits which always terrified me.

Actually, thinking about this I just noticed the scar on my left hand,
something I don't usually see anymore - incurred in a Who related
incident.
Apparently, the story is told, that as a 2 yo, my mum was putting my
sister's freshly laundered nappies to dry by the fire, moving the guard
momentarily. At that moment, I climbed into the empty laundry basket and
began leaping around shouting "I'm in the TARDIS!" at which point I fell
over and put my hand in the fire.
Anyone else got any Who-related, nights spent in casualty type blood and
gore tales to tell?
Gill

Severian

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
Gillian Walker <gillia...@mailandnews.com> wrote in message

> Just the music and credits which always terrified me.
>
> Actually, thinking about this I just noticed the scar on my left hand,
> something I don't usually see anymore - incurred in a Who related
> incident.
> Apparently, the story is told, that as a 2 yo, my mum was putting my
> sister's freshly laundered nappies to dry by the fire, moving the guard
> momentarily. At that moment, I climbed into the empty laundry basket and
> began leaping around shouting "I'm in the TARDIS!" at which point I fell
> over and put my hand in the fire.
> Anyone else got any Who-related, nights spent in casualty type blood and
> gore tales to tell?
> Gill

Not *exactly* Who-related, but I was struck by a car less than half an hour
following the transmission of episode 3 of Image of the Fendahl on 12/11/77.
That necessitated a trip to Casualty at good old Victoria Infirmary in
Glasgow. It was a cold, wet night too, so that made the whole experience
even more unpleasant whilst I was lying there in the road waiting for the
ambulance. If only I'd listened to Dave Prowse... :)

Gavin Winters

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00

Severian <termin...@severian.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Not *exactly* Who-related, but I was struck by a car less than half an
hour
> following the transmission of episode 3 of Image of the Fendahl on
12/11/77.
> That necessitated a trip to Casualty at good old Victoria Infirmary in
> Glasgow. It was a cold, wet night too, so that made the whole experience
> even more unpleasant whilst I was lying there in the road waiting for the
> ambulance. If only I'd listened to Dave Prowse... :)

(west country accent) "Yoo should 'arve follered tha green crozz code, coz I
caahn't allwayz be thayre to save yaa!"

--

"I fully understand this shotgun in my pillow is no uncarved block at hand.
Life is sweet but not it seems for Buddha, there's a shotgun in his hand"

David Brunt

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
Severian wrote in message

>Not *exactly* Who-related, but I was struck by a car less than half an
hour
>following the transmission of episode 3 of Image of the Fendahl on
12/11/77.
>That necessitated a trip to Casualty at good old Victoria Infirmary in
>Glasgow. It was a cold, wet night too, so that made the whole experience
>even more unpleasant whilst I was lying there in the road waiting for the
>ambulance. If only I'd listened to Dave Prowse... :)

Well, he did say he wouldn't be dare when yu crozzed da roadd.

David

Ed Jefferson

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00

Shouldn't he have felt a disturbance in the force or something?

Anthony Brown

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
In article <20000607164247...@ng-cg1.aol.com>,
edjef...@aol.comiluvjam (Ed Jefferson) wrote:

> Mine's the bit in 'The Daemons', in episode 2, I think, where the
> Brigadier is
> trying to get through the force field thingy.

Planet of the Daleks 2. For years, I believed that Time Lords couldn't be
exterminated, only stunned...

Nick Lancaster

Jun 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/10/00
On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 18:19:06 GMT, john long <jl...@epix.net> wrote:

>I didn't know there were other doctors besides Pertwee. I
>only knew what I had seen, seasons 10 and 11, which do reveal quite a
>bit about the show if you think about it, but they don't prepare you for
>a whole new doctor.

I got the shock of my life when I read my first novelisation - Dalek
Invasion of Earth - and it didn't have Ace in it. I assumed that
Terrance Dicks had made up Ian, Susan and Barbara.

love,
Nick
-moving back instead of forwards seems to me absurd
http://go.to/lanky

Forge

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
Mine is vague recollections of Peladon eps Ice Warriors in Caves and
Aggador...and of course the theme music and Pertwee's face, etc...

Steve Day <steve...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I suppose mine was probably Destiny of the Daleks, the TARDIS being on
> the rocks was an image I had in my head for years afterwards. I can
> also remember being terrified of Scaroth in City of Death. Both these
> memories would be when I was 5.
>
> The earliest story I remember following was probably Logopolis, again
> the images in that story held a certain candle - 2 TARDI, the Master
> etc.
>

> *
> This is a local football club for local people
> There's nothing for you here.....
> (Football League of Gentlemen)
> *

BallyhooET

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
My earliest memory of WHO is catching the last 5 minutes of "The Sontaran
Experiment" episode 1. I was impressed by the Sontaran mask, intrigued by the
cliffhanger, and very very taken with the tunnel effect and music - but I
remember thinking it must be a rip-off of "The Tomorrow People," which had been
running for years in America on Nickelodeon. Little did I know!

Of course, within 2 days "Genesis of the Daleks" was on and that was it, I was
hooked...

:-)

Martin Hennessee
Bally...@aol.com

Snarky!

Jul 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/2/00
An early ep of _The Green Death_ -- had _no_ idea what was going on, who
this "Doctor" was, where he came from, how it came about that he
travelled around in Time and Space, yet seemed fixated on Earth, and as
for *regeneration* -- ha! Anyway, it was on CKVU-13 at 8:30 am one
Saturday in September 1980 (I think...)

Hail Eris! All hail Discordia!! We must stick apart!!!
Lola, called Snarky, The Chocolate Snark, Queen of the Snarks of Ærisia;
Queen of Rice; loud and flaming queer Demon of Mockery and Silliness,
Demon Lord of Confusion; Pope Snarky Goodfella of the undulating cable,
JM, CK, POEE, KOTHASK; the Very Long, Multi-Coloured Scarf of Tom Baker;
The Black Goat With A Thousand Young; the Goat In Black
The Principia Discordia: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tilt/principia/body.html
SPONGE: http://www.s-p-o-n-g-e.com/
The Coming Out Show: http://geocities.com/comingoutshow/
The _final_ ADRIC Award Ceremonies of the second millennium A.D. are
now over!!!
"Remember: Red meat isn't bad for you. Fuzzy blue-green meat is."
-- Zog the etc. (in alt.discordia)

Gordon Dempster

Jul 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/2/00

"Snarky!" <feeto...@home.com> wrote in message

> An early ep of _The Green Death_ -- had _no_ idea what was going on, who
> this "Doctor" was, where he came from, how it came about that he
> travelled around in Time and Space, yet seemed fixated on Earth, and as
> for *regeneration* -- ha! Anyway, it was on CKVU-13 at 8:30 am one
> Saturday in September 1980 (I think...)

Mine is Davros in front of those doors with the small circular
windows in them from Genesis. BBC March/April 1975. I was two at
the time.

--
"Make a cup of tea, put a record on..."

Gordon Dempster

"Terrahawks, stay on this channel, this is an emergency!"
www.bhfh.fsnet.co.uk

Alex Steer

Jul 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/2/00

Gordon Dempster <gor...@bhfh.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Snarky!" <feeto...@home.com> wrote in message
> > An early ep of _The Green Death_ -- had _no_ idea what was going on, who
> > this "Doctor" was, where he came from, how it came about that he
> > travelled around in Time and Space, yet seemed fixated on Earth, and as
> > for *regeneration* -- ha! Anyway, it was on CKVU-13 at 8:30 am one
> > Saturday in September 1980 (I think...)
>
> Mine is Davros in front of those doors with the small circular
> windows in them from Genesis. BBC March/April 1975. I was two at
> the time.

Would that be Davros, ruthless creator of the evil Daleks, the outer space
robot people from TV's Dr Who? Or another Davros?

Alex

The Doctor

Jul 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/2/00
In article <395EE5F3...@home.com>, Snarky! <feeto...@home.com> wrote:
>An early ep of _The Green Death_ -- had _no_ idea what was going on, who
>this "Doctor" was, where he came from, how it came about that he
>travelled around in Time and Space, yet seemed fixated on Earth, and as
>for *regeneration* -- ha! Anyway, it was on CKVU-13 at 8:30 am one
>Saturday in September 1980 (I think...)

Of course those of us in England. I was born in Season 6 and saw up to Season
9.

Here is a question?

What are Princes William and Harry's earliest memories of DW?

--
God Queen and Country Member - Liberal International
Never Satan President and Republic This is doc...@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doc...@nl2k.ab.ca

Gordon Dempster

Jul 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/2/00

"Alex Steer" <ast...@mail.com> wrote in message

> Gordon Dempster <gor...@bhfh.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Mine is Davros in front of those doors with the small circular
> > windows in them from Genesis. BBC March/April 1975. I was two at
> > the time.
>
> Would that be Davros, ruthless creator of the evil Daleks, the outer space
> robot people from TV's Dr Who? Or another Davros?
>
> Alex

No it was Davros, grumpy creator of the nasty Trods, the extra-
terrestrial machine persons from TV Comic's Dr Who.

Tomas Karlsson

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00

The earliest Doctor Who memories I have is from when I was about
4-6 years old. I would appreciate some help of the titles of the
episodes.

One episode had a scene where a tree branch, or something like
that, took the doctor's watch. In the same episode, there was a
scene of some kind of spaceship with aliens outside of it. They looked like
they were made of leaves.

In another episode, the doctor battled a monster that hid itself behind a
clock. I would be glad if someone recognize these episodes, and can tell me
the names of them, as I would like to see them again.

Cardinal Zorak

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00
See below. PS how old are you, out of curiosity. I was 5 when I started
watching. I was always puzzled by the aliens hiding behnd a dartboard!

"Tomas Karlsson" <devil_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> The earliest Doctor Who memories I have is from when I was about
> 4-6 years old. I would appreciate some help of the titles of the
> episodes.
>
> One episode had a scene where a tree branch, or something like
> that, took the doctor's watch. In the same episode, there was a
> scene of some kind of spaceship with aliens outside of it. They looked
like
> they were made of leaves.

PROBABLY "MARK OF THE RANI", though the tree held Peri rather than taking
the Dr's watch. A couple of stories later, Peri broke the Doctor's watch.
Which may be where you're confused, although you seem to like timepieces so
a Time Lord is a good thing for you to like!

> In another episode, the doctor battled a monster that hid itself behind a
> clock.

PRESUMABLY "THE KEEPER OF TRAKEN", where the Master, the Doctor's
arch-enemy, hid in a clock (really a TARDIS Time machine)...

Cardinal Zorak

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00
Could be "The Deadly Assassin", 1976, also featuring the Master, but you're
a bit too young I guess unless you saw a friends' video (not a "Friends"
video!). Otherwise, the only sinister grandfather clocks I know are in "The
Dark is Rising", a book by Susan Cooper.

The marshemen resemble "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" from the film of
the same name.

Any more clues/memories?

> I'm 16 years old. Well, it wasn't The keeper of Traken, because I have
that
> tape. It's kinda hard to remember clearly after so many years. I have only
> vague memories. As for the other episode, I don't know. I've wondered if
the
> episode I am looking for is "Full circle", but I've seen pictures from it,
> and the marshmen don't look like the monsters that I remember. Are there
any
> episode with dangerous plants (except for the one in "Nightmare of Eden")?

Tomas Karlsson

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00

Tomas Karlsson

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00
The episode with the grandfather clock: The memory I have is the doctor
fighting with some kind of monster. It was trying to strangle the doctor,
and it hid behind a clock. I think it was grey.

I saw these episodes on Sky channel I think. I live in Sweden, and we had
that channel for a while about 11-12 years ago. I cannot say for sure,
because so much time has passed.

Cardinal Zorak

Cardinal Zorak

Charles Daniels

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00
Tomas Karlsson <devil_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm 16 years old. Well, it wasn't The keeper of Traken, because I have that
> tape. It's kinda hard to remember clearly after so many years. I have only
> vague memories. As for the other episode, I don't know. I've wondered if the
> episode I am looking for is "Full circle", but I've seen pictures from it,
> and the marshmen don't look like the monsters that I remember. Are there any
> episode with dangerous plants (except for the one in "Nightmare of Eden")?

Terror of the Vervoids

The Doctor

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00
In article <ReL85.11562$rH5....@nntpserver.swip.net>,

Tomas Karlsson <devil_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>The episode with the grandfather clock: The memory I have is the doctor
>fighting with some kind of monster. It was trying to strangle the doctor,
>and it hid behind a clock. I think it was grey.
>
>I saw these episodes on Sky channel I think. I live in Sweden, and we had
>that channel for a while about 11-12 years ago. I cannot say for sure,
>because so much time has passed.

Sounds like Tremas overrun by the Master in Keeper of Traken.

Gavin Winters

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00

Tomas Karlsson <devil_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The episode with the grandfather clock: The memory I have is the doctor
> fighting with some kind of monster. It was trying to strangle the doctor,
> and it hid behind a clock. I think it was grey.
>
> I saw these episodes on Sky channel I think. I live in Sweden, and we had
> that channel for a while about 11-12 years ago. I cannot say for sure,
> because so much time has passed.

I don't think Doctor who has ever been shown on Sky TV. Are you sure it
wasn't Super Channel? I also had this channel during the time you're talking
about (the late eighties) and it showed the first three years of Tom Baker
stories so it probably is The Deadly Assassin. I don't know about the other
story you mentioned but if that's the channel you're remembering then at
least it narrows it down to those three seasons.

David Brunt

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00
Tomas Karlsson wrote in message ...

>The episode with the grandfather clock: The memory I have is the doctor
>fighting with some kind of monster. It was trying to strangle the doctor,
>and it hid behind a clock. I think it was grey.
>
>I saw these episodes on Sky channel I think. I live in Sweden, and we had
>that channel for a while about 11-12 years ago. I cannot say for sure,
>because so much time has passed.

Then that would definitely be the 'Superchannel' transmission of 'The
Deadly Assassin' which was shown in 1991.

The plant one is probably 'The Seeds of Doom', which they also showed
around the same period.

David

Snarky!

Jul 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/6/00
john long wrote:

> I remember after I discovered Carnival of Monsters, I kept watching all
> the way through seasons 10 and 11, then the doctor regenerated into Tom
> Baker which left me very cold and bitter, like I couldn't believe that
> the doctor I knew was gone forever, and me being a kid I couldn't make
> the transition and stopped watching the show sometime during season 12.
> I just kept thinking that the new doctor was such a goof and wondered
> how he could possibly be so different from the previous doctor. In any
> case, years later I learned my lesson and had grown up and had watched
> all the Tom Baker stories and realized how fantastic they were. And I
> also realized that there was no reason to be sad because I could get the
> tapes of all the Pertwee stories, even ones that I had never seem before
> and watch them whenever I wanted to. Of course, when your a kid you
> don't think that way. I just assumed that Pertwee was gone and I'd
> never see him again. The whole regeneration concept boggled my mind.
> It was so completely unexpected at the time, since I knew very little
> about DW. I didn't know there were other doctors besides Pertwee. I

> only knew what I had seen, seasons 10 and 11, which do reveal quite a
> bit about the show if you think about it, but they don't prepare you for
> a whole new doctor.

Oddly enough, this reminds me that I saw at the very least the
regeneration episode of PotS on CKVU in '80 or '81 -- for a very long
time after that, I had _no_ idea what that was about, since they only
showed Pertwees (IIRC) on 'VU13...Naturally, I had no concept of the
first two Doctors _whatsoever_....

Hail Eris! All hail Discordia!! We must stick apart!!!

Lola, called Snarky, The Chocolate Snark, Queen of the Snarks; Queen of

Steve Erwood

Jul 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/6/00
Vague memories of the maggots in The Green Death - and the fact
that the TV went off due to a power-cut.

Less vague memories of Linx removing his helmet, the Daleks
battling the Exxilon city's probe thing, Bellal and the Doc
jumping over the chessboard, the "crocodile men" hiding on
Peladon where the big-eye thing lived, and the giant spiders
which caused me to be arachnophobic for life.

By the time Tom Doc came along I was a regular viewer (from the
comfort of my grandmother's knee).

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

Braxiatel

Jul 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/14/00
Earliest memory of Who?

Hmmm....

Sam Jones opening the door to the Doctor at the start of Unnatural History

Brax

ste...@hotmail.com

Jul 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/14/00
In article <20000625121113...@ng-fz1.aol.com>,
Steve day wrote:

> Earliest memories?

I can't believe how young some of the people here are! That is
immensely wonderful. To think that people were getting inspired by
Colin Baker and McCoy episodes that we grumpy old cunts were moaning
about in the pub on a Friday night. Blimey. Just goes to show.

Anyway- earliest memory? I have a very very vague recollection of
Pertwee confronting the spider-queen at the end of PotS, but I remember
it very differently, and from a different angle, than how it was
actually shot.

After that, I guess I have bits of images from the whole of Baker's
first season- but as a wee 4 year old, things are blurry. First stand-
out bit came when the wirrn fell out of the cupboard in Ark In Space.
That deeply traumatised me for ages, and made cupboards something I
didn't want to know about.

A bit later the krynoid undermined my love of our garden- as my father
would stand at the window and claim to see "something moving in the
bean row"- scaring the hell out of me. The mummies from 'Pyramids'
caused one memorable walk over the glen to become a panic-stricken race
for my life. And in fact, Doctor Who monsters were my biggest fear on
family outings over fairlight country park and the quarrey for a few
years- until I happened upon a naked man masturbating behind a bush,
and the fictional worries of childhood were replaced by altogether
scarier real-life threats.

Steev

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

john long

Jul 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/14/00
ste...@hotmail.com wrote:

> I can't believe how young some of the people here are! That is
> immensely wonderful. To think that people were getting inspired by
> Colin Baker and McCoy episodes that we grumpy old cunts were moaning
> about in the pub on a Friday night. Blimey. Just goes to show.

I always wondered how people became fans just from the terrible 80's
stories. If I was exposed to that stuff first, I probably wouldn't be
here now.

--
john long -- AIM Cracker499

Gordon Dempster

Jul 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/15/00

"john long" <jl...@epix.net> wrote in message news:396F81...@epix.net...

Quick children! Into the time-machine! Now, if we take these tapes of 80's
stories and play them down the cable we have covertly spliced into his TV,
he probably won't be in RADW in the year 2000. Isn't that fantastic?!?!

(A voice mutters : "But some things could be better with john long...")

SHUT IT!!! (Sound of person being fwapped with Soldeed's Pointy Stick(tm) )

--
"Make a cup of tea, put a record on..."

Gordon Dempster

"You promised to show me puppies. I'm still waiting."
www.bhfh.fsnet.co.uk

Cardinal Snarky of the Fannish Inquisition

Jul 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/15/00
ste...@hotmail.com wrote:

> A bit later the krynoid undermined my love of our garden- as my father
> would stand at the window and claim to see "something moving in the
> bean row"- scaring the hell out of me. The mummies from 'Pyramids'
> caused one memorable walk over the glen to become a panic-stricken race
> for my life. And in fact, Doctor Who monsters were my biggest fear on
> family outings over fairlight country park and the quarrey for a few
> years- until I happened upon a naked man masturbating behind a bush,
> and the fictional worries of childhood were replaced by altogether
> scarier real-life threats.

??? Like....?

http://www.deja.com/my/pb.xp?member_name=the_chocolate_snark

The Coming Out Show/Fruit Salad: http://geocities.com/comingoutshow/

Gavin Winters

Jul 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/15/00

<ste...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:8kmrlq$4l2$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> And in fact, Doctor Who monsters were my biggest fear on
> family outings over fairlight country park and the quarrey for a few
> years- until I happened upon a naked man masturbating behind a bush,
> and the fictional worries of childhood were replaced by altogether
> scarier real-life threats.

It could have been worse, it could have been a naked Cyberman masturbating
behind a bush.

Now THAT would be scary...