Small report on Who/7 convention in Telford, UK, Oct 31

1 view

Chad Fogg

Nov 9, 1992, 1:03:03 PM11/9/92
I attended the Who's Seven (a joint Dr.Who and Blakes 7 organization in
the UK) convention held at the #60/night Telford Moathouse, in Telford,
about 40 miles west of Birmingham. Telford has the intention of becoming
some sort of Silicon Valley, with completely new shoppes, offices,
houses, etc.---in stark contrast to the rest of the midlands countryside.

Guests: Gareth Thomas (Blake), Colin Baker (Dr.6), Jacqueline Pearce
(Servalan), Sheelagh Wells (makeup artist for Dr.Who, B7), Peter Tuddenham
(voice of Orac, Slave, Zen), Sheila Tomlinson (Dr.Who, B7 film editor).

I didn't spend much time there, but here are a few noteworthy tidbits:

- Colin Baker and Nicola Byrant (sp?) star in a production called
"The Stranger" which features an alien traveller (Baker) and sidekick
(Bryant) with "an unnamed time machine around the corner." The
intention is to start where Colin's Doctor left off, yet at the same
time not violating the BBC copyright. To date, three episodes have
been produced. Two are already out on video for #10 each. It was the
hope of the small production crew to have the third in time for
Christmas, though Baker feels it is now unlikely to make it in time.

- UK Gold, a new direct satellite broadcast pay channel, debuted on
November 1. Old programs from the ITV and BBC archives will be
featured, including Dr.Who. According to Baker, the actor's guild
is preparing to sue the BBC due to the low royalties UK Gold is paying
them.

- Pearce strongly dislikes the term "low budget" and has some harsh
words for the Blakes 7 production effort. In particular, she
strongly refered by implication to the out-of-hand ego of Darrow's
(Avon).

- It is unlikely that the Dr.Who plays will return. The production
failed to return money, and the original financer has gone into
bankrupcy recently.

all for now.

Laurie Yadon

Nov 9, 1992, 4:52:47 PM11/9/92
In article <1992Nov9.1...@ole.cdac.com>,

cf...@ole.cdac.com (Chad Fogg) writes:
> I attended the Who's Seven (a joint Dr.Who and Blakes 7
> organization in the UK) convention held at the #60/night Telford
> Moathouse, in Telford, about 40 miles west of Birmingham.

[some material deleted]

> I didn't spend much time there, but here are a few noteworthy
> tidbits:

> Colin Baker and Nicola Byrant (sp?) star in a production called

> "The Stranger" which features an alien traveller (Baker) and sidekick
> (Bryant) with "an unnamed time machine around the corner." The
> intention is to start where Colin's Doctor left off, yet at the same
> time not violating the BBC copyright. To date, three episodes have
> been produced. Two are already out on video for #10 each. It was the
> hope of the small production crew to have the third in time for
> Christmas, though Baker feels it is now unlikely to make it in time.

The *character* Colin plays is called The Stranger; Nicola's
character is called Miss Brown. The two videos which are already
available both in the UK and in the U.S. are called SUMMONED BY
SHADOWS and MORE THAN A MESSIAH. They (the BBC Film Club) have
begun working on a third one, called IN MEMORY ALONE; however,
Colin says that another day and a half of his time will be required
in order to complete the filming. Since his schedule is solidly
booked throughout the rest of this year -- through January 9th,
actually -- they probably won't be able to finish the filming until
sometime in January.

> UK Gold, a new direct satellite broadcast pay channel, debuted on
> November 1. Old programs from the ITV and BBC archives will be
> featured, including Dr.Who. According to Baker, the actor's guild
> is preparing to sue the BBC due to the low royalties UK Gold is
> paying them.

He should know -- he's been an Equity councillor since 1990.

Laurie Yadon
Coordinator/Editor
The Baker Connection
Colin's official American fan club since 1987