Thurl Ravenscroft

Mark Heiss

Nov 11, 1992, 11:01:44 AM11/11/92

Okay, this isn't strictly a Disney-related post, but then again "How the
Grinch Stole Christmas" isn't either, so here goes...

In addition to Thurl Ravenscroft's various renditions for Disney ("Grim
Grinning Ghosts", and *I think* miscellaneous pirate characters in POTC),
and the Tony-the-Tiger "They're GRRRRREAT!" role, and the previously mentioned
singer in the Grinch special, I know of a few more appearances;

Around 1952 Mr. Ravenscroft appeared as part of the singing group "The Mello
Men" for Spike Jones and his City Slickers recording of the EP "Bottoms Up".
"Bottoms Up" is a medley of internationally flavored polkas (I'm not kidding).
Spike Jones, of course, is the bandleader of the 40's and 50's responsible
for the classic novely songs "Der Feuher's Face", "Cocktails for Two", "All
I Want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth", and many others.

Mr. Ravenscroft returned several years later for additional appearances with Spike Jones. Most notably, he appeared on the record "Spike Jones - A Spooktacular". This record was a halloween flavored LP which relies heavily of the voice talents of Paul Frees (another Disney veteran). Included on this album is a track called "I Was a Teenage Brain Surgeon" sung by Mr. Ravenscroft. This track is quite good but the
entire record has been unavailable for many years. He also appeared on the album
"Spike Jones Presents 60 Years of Music America Hates Best" singing a rock-and-roll number called "Pimples and Braces", which is reminiscent of the classic "Tequila".

Available as a CD through Rhino Records is the Spike Jones' album "Dinner Music
for People Who Aren't Very Hungry". This 1959 record contains a western ballad
called "Wyatt Earp Makes Me Burp" sung by Mr. Ravenscroft. Before you run out
and buy this album, though, be advised that this is not his best work.

Here are some questions that I have...

1) Is Thurl Ravenscroft still alive (I assume so, since Tony-the-Tiger
still sounds pretty good on the commercials), and where does he reside
(Mr. Ravenscroft, NOT Tony-the-Tiger)?

2) Can anyone think of any other roles or appearances by Mr. Ravenscroft?
In particular - what other Disney rides or attractions use his voice?

3) (extra credit) What is Mr. Ravenscroft's neck size? I figure that with
a voice like that, his neck must be about the size of a tree trunk.

Mark.

Steven Swinkels

Nov 16, 1992, 12:59:09 PM11/16/92
In <1992Nov14....@nic.csu.net> jti...@sparc1.sparc1.csubak.edu (j. tinkle ) writes:

>Realized as I was watching 101 Dalmatians last night that he did a voice
>(or two) for the movie, but I don't know of who. I think this has come
>up before, and I think it was said he did the voice of The Colonel, a
>sheepdog.

I don't think so. The Colonel's voice was done by the same gent who did
The Walrus (AND Carpenter) in "Alice in Wonderland" and Sir Ector in "Sword
in the Stone" His name COMPLETELY escapes me right now (but will naturally
return just after I post this....) This voice actor has been in a TON o'Disney
flicks. Wait, wait....it's coming back. Pat something-or-other....HELP!

(mutter, mutter, they say as you grow old you lose 3 things: first is your
memory and I can't remember the other 2...)
--
Steven Swinkels ste...@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com
Amdahl Corporation [ decwrl | hplabs | ames ]!amdahl!steven
>>The opinions expressed herein are solely my own.<<
"Sometimes you're the windshield; sometimes you're the bug." - Dire Straits

Lee Mellinger

Nov 16, 1992, 4:11:55 PM11/16/92
In article <6...@esun179.gdc.com> he...@gdc.com writes:
:
:Here are some questions that I have...

:
:1) Is Thurl Ravenscroft still alive (I assume so, since Tony-the-Tiger
: still sounds pretty good on the commercials), and where does he reside
: (Mr. Ravenscroft, NOT Tony-the-Tiger)?
:
:3) (extra credit) What is Mr. Ravenscroft's neck size? I figure that with
: a voice like that, his neck must be about the size of a tree trunk.
:
:Mark.

Thurl resides somewhere in Orange County, CA, or at least he did a
couple of years ago. I don't know about his neck size, but he is a
rather tall man with a long face.

Lee

"Mit Pulver und Blei, die Gedanken sind frei."

|Lee F. Mellinger Caltech/Jet Propulsion Laboratory - NASA
|4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109 818/354-1163 FTS 792-1163
|le...@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV

Linda G. Brashear

Nov 16, 1992, 8:31:41 PM11/16/92

Wasn't the voice of the Colonel (101 Dogs), the Walrus (Alice...),
and Sir Ector (Sword...) also the voice of Colonel Hathi in Jungle
Book? The man behind that voice is J. Pat O'Malley. Isn't it great
how environmentally conscious Disney is. Just look at their voice
recycling program! :-) Another few recycled voices in Jungle Book:
Verna Felton (Winifred in Jungle Book, Fairy Godmother in Cinderella,
Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland, to name what I can recall)
Sterling Holoway (Kaa in Jungle Book, Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland,
Winnie the Pooh until recently, and several others that I can't think
of right now)
Listening carefully,
Linda
--
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding"
--Proverbs 3:5

* Bouncer **

Nov 16, 1992, 10:37:03 PM11/16/92

>From: he...@gdc.com (Mark Heiss)
>Subject: Thurl Ravenscroft
>Date: 11 Nov 92 16:01:44 GMT

>In addition to Thurl Ravenscroft's various renditions for Disney ("Grim
>Grinning Ghosts", and *I think* miscellaneous pirate characters in POTC),
>and the Tony-the-Tiger "They're GRRRRREAT!" role, and the previously mentioned
>singer in the Grinch special, I know of a few more appearances;
>In addition to Thurl Ravenscroft's various renditions for Disney ("Grim
>Grinning Ghosts", and *I think* miscellaneous pirate characters in POTC),
>and the Tony-the-Tiger "They're GRRRRREAT!" role, and the previously mentioned
>singer in the Grinch special, I know of a few more appearances;
>
>2) Can anyone think of any other roles or appearances by Mr. Ravenscroft?
> In particular - what other Disney rides or attractions use his voice?

Doesn't Thurl Ravenscroft also do the narrator voice for the Train that circles
the park (at least the one at Disneyland, CA).

Trivia: Given the length of track that the Disney Train has traveled over the
past 30(?) years, approximately how manys times (according to the
narration soundtrack) could the Train have encircled the globe?

-- Billyb

Tigger

Nov 20, 1992, 8:40:17 PM11/20/92
In article <BxuCp...@irvine.com>, bi...@irvine.com (* Bouncer **) writes:

> Trivia: Given the length of track that the Disney Train has traveled over the
> past 30(?) years, approximately how manys times (according to the
> narration soundtrack) could the Train have encircled the globe?

Oh, please. Not that! Argh!

"Over a hundred and *fifty* times." (emphasis Thurl's)

:-)
--
| Greg Orman gr...@pomona.claremont.edu |
| A man's best friends: a Harley, a Beretta and a Gund. |

Mark Heiss

Nov 19, 1992, 8:48:24 AM11/19/92

Put on your Disney thinking caps on this one...

Wasn't Thurl Ravenscroft the voice of Big Al in the original
Country Bear Jamboree singing "Blood On the Saddle"?

Sorry if I don't remember the characters names, but after the
announcer refers to the rotund female bear (the one with the
wine glass) as a "Big Star", I can still hear Thurl Ravenscroft's
voice saying "That ain't all that's big".

Any comments?

Mark.

Mark Heiss

Nov 19, 1992, 12:58:17 PM11/19/92
Oops!! I remember where Thurl Ravenscroft's voice was in the old
Country Bear Jamboree - and it wasn't as Big Al! It was as one of those
mounted animal heads located above the door! Buff maybe???

Sorry for the confusion.

I wonder if his voice is in the Vacation Hoedown show as well?

Mark.

Tom Hancock

Nov 20, 1992, 9:33:08 AM11/20/92
In article <6...@esun179.gdc.com>, he...@gdc.com (Mark Heiss) writes:

>[SNIP]
> 1) Is Thurl Ravenscroft still alive (I assume so, since Tony-the-Tiger
> still sounds pretty good on the commercials), and where does he reside
> (Mr. Ravenscroft, NOT Tony-the-Tiger)?
>
> 2) Can anyone think of any other roles or appearances by Mr. Ravenscroft?
> In particular - what other Disney rides or attractions use his voice?

He was the voice of "Kirby" the vacuum cleaner in "The Brave
Little Toaster". Great movie, BTW.

> 3) (extra credit) What is Mr. Ravenscroft's neck size? I figure that with
> a voice like that, his neck must be about the size of a tree trunk.

I think the only one who comes close to him today is James Earl
Jones. Now *THERES* a voice!

> Mark.

Tom Hancock
--
han...@inland.com |My company and I agree:
Tom Hancock -- Assoc. Engr. | I speak for myself, and not the company!