LIFE'S A TRIP REPORT, Multi-Generational Disney Freaks

SixToDznee

Jun 14, 2002, 9:30:08 PM6/14/02
As part of my 10 step program towards recovery (if there is such a
thing) I have to announce: HI my name is Angie and I'm totally
addicted to Disney. This is sort of a post trips report:

In the beginning there was Mom. She's Gen1 in our family of Disney
Freaks. She was there for the "real deal"; the original Mousketeers,
the original Wonderful World of Disney, the original Parent Trap
(Hayley Mills is a favorite of hers). Mom begat Gen2 of the Disney
freaks; me, my 2 sisters, and my brother. Back then my favorite part
of the week was Sunday night when we'd all sit and watch The Wonderful
World of Disney together; I think that's where I had my first sense of
peace in my family from the magic of Disney. It also happened when we
finally were able to go to Walt Disney World. It seemed that sibling
rivalry was left on that tree-lined, long (boy it seemed SO long!)
road to the Magic Kingdom. I have so many memories of different times
and rides from the 70's that I don't know which were from our first
trip, my first ride and all. I do remember loving the ride that had
birds flying along the wall and over your head. I believe the cars
were similar to SE and the music was very peaceful. I loved the TIKI
room and Pirates has always been a family favorite (my Dad loves the
dog with the keys and we can't mention PoC without him going wwwwhhrrr
wwwwhhhrrr wwwwhhhrr, wwwwhhrrr wwwwhhhrrr wwwwhhrrr - that's how you
spell the sound of whistling). On the haunted mansion I was paying so
much attention to everything on the ride I didn't notice what kind of
car it was so when we turned around and went backwards down the stairs
I FREAKED because I thought it was an oversized person in the car
above us and we were DOOMED! I don't believe we went on Space Mountain
very much but when we finally did go all the warning signs scared me
more than the actual ride did! This was when you sat two to a seat,
one person almost sitting in the lap of another. My brother had just
made the height requirement and my Mom was worried about him because
he was a Chicken Little and seems she had cause to worry because when
the ride was over he was down on the floor of the ride. She thought
he'd passed out and shook him and yelled his name until he opened his
eyes. (I think he was in self-preservation mode). He was the kind of
kid that scoped the ground for any money that someone had dropped and
was really good at finding discarded ticket books thrown on the
ground, always with the sad "A" rides left in them. (Does anyone know
a web page that has a listing of which rides were "A"'s, "B"s, ect?).
My grandparents lived in central Florida and one year when we were
visiting they paid for my Mom to go to WDW as a gift. She was there
for just a short amount of time before she decided it wasn't any fun
without us and called to have us delivered to the Magic Kingdom to be
with her, she's the best!
The 80's were spent in Germany, first when my Dad was stationed there,
then my husband. The only Disneyfied thing we did there was to see
Neuschwanstein (sp) Castle (gorgeous).
My sister and I spent the 90's begatting Gen3 of the Disney Freaks. 7
of them in 8 years, they're our own built-in dwarves (but most of them
are Dopey!). Then came Mom's magic words in '98 "What do you guys
think about us all going to WDW together?" Count us in! Thanks to
their generous offer to share their Shades of Green rate we were able
to go with them and there's been no looking back . Since that first
trip I've been hooked. The entire group went back again in 2000 and
my husband and I have taken the kids on our own and the sights, sounds
and memories are never too far away.
So that's us, we're cuckoo for Disney puffs.

Tim Business

Jun 16, 2002, 5:54:53 AM6/16/02

SixToDznee wrote:

> I have so many memories of different times
> and rides from the 70's that I don't know which were from our first
> trip, my first ride and all. I do remember loving the ride that had
> birds flying along the wall and over your head. I believe the cars
> were similar to SE and the music was very peaceful.

That ride used to be sponsored by Eastern Airlines and was called "The
Wings of Man (or Flight?)". Something like that. They use the same
location (and same or similar cars) for Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger Spin
now.

I really liked your post. Brought back a lot of memories. My first trp
was in the early mid 70's (I was in 5th grade) with my Mom, a friend of
hers and her two kids (who I was close to also.) We stayed in the
townhouses at Lake Buena Vista. They became the Disney Institute and the
Lake area became Downtown Disney and Pleasure Island. there wasn't really
anything other than the Contemporary, Polynesian and Ft. Wilderness as far
as places to stay. Epcot was being built but wasn't finished yet.

"That was an E-ticket ride". Bet if many people heard that today they
wouldn't know what it meant. But for a magical moment in the 70's, when
the nation sat entranced in front of the TV and watched men walk on the
men, we heard one of our astronauts say it as the rocket blasted off. And
we all knew the reference. And we felt good about it...

Kind of seemed simplier and better.

Tim

Joe

Jun 17, 2002, 12:37:47 PM6/17/02
Tim Business <tma...@amesrubber.com> wrote in <3D0C5F4E.734B0E40
@amesrubber.com>:
>SixToDznee wrote:

>> I have so many memories of different times
>> and rides from the 70's that I don't know which were from our first
>> trip, my first ride and all. I do remember loving the ride that had
>> birds flying along the wall and over your head. I believe the cars
>> were similar to SE and the music was very peaceful.

>That ride used to be sponsored by Eastern Airlines and was called "The
>Wings of Man (or Flight?)". Something like that. They use the same
>location (and same or similar cars) for Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger Spin
>now.

No no. "If You Had Wings" (had wings had wings).... :) It was free (no
tickets required) and had high-capacity, so was a frequent destination for
us when we ran out of tickets and wanted to be out of the heat. Later, Delta
took it over and called it "Dream Flight", but it was pretty much the same
ride. Buzz is a fantastic use of that space, too, since it's always been
such a filler ride (although when you go through that big room I always
remember the "speeding along" stuff you got there...).

>"That was an E-ticket ride". Bet if many people heard that today they
>wouldn't know what it meant. But for a magical moment in the 70's, when
>the nation sat entranced in front of the TV and watched men walk on the
>men, we heard one of our astronauts say it as the rocket blasted off. And
>we all knew the reference. And we felt good about it...

No, the term "e-ticket ride" actually has crossed into cultural
lexicon. Kids may not have ever used an e-ticket, nor know which park it
started at, but the term "e-ticket" as a superlative or top-tier attraction
is actually known.

-- Joe

SixToDznee

Jun 17, 2002, 10:37:57 PM6/17/02
Tim Business <tma...@amesrubber.com> wrote in message news:<3D0C5F4E...@amesrubber.com>...

> SixToDznee wrote:
>
> I really liked your post. Brought back a lot of memories.

Thanks very much. I wish I'd saved some of those ticket books (even
without the tickets in them because I can't imagine not going on a
ride to save the ticket!) Angie

SixToDznee

Jun 17, 2002, 10:46:51 PM6/17/02
gee...@hotmail.com (Joe) wrote in message news:<Xns923061F5CE3F...@216.148.53.88>...

> No no. "If You Had Wings" (had wings had wings).... :) It was free (no
> tickets required) and had high-capacity, so was a frequent destination for
> us when we ran out of tickets

Thanks for that info, I'm trying to find out what was free, etc. That
also must be why I liked it so much (you kids stay on this ride and
we'll meet you at the end of the day!) Do you remember if there was an
admission price *and* you bought a ticket book if you wanted to ride
the rides? Thanks Angie