Jack & Jill?

Allen Cohen

Dec 21, 1994, 11:36:00 AM12/21/94
I have seen numerous references to Jack&Jill in postings over the last year
but I have never seen anyone describe what it is. I could not find a
reference in the FAQ, either. So just what is this mysterious ritual?

Allen Cohen
aco...@tasc.com

Paul Sanders

Dec 21, 1994, 12:26:46 PM12/21/94
rl...@cornell.edu (rl...@cornell.edu) wrote:
: > I have seen numerous references to Jack&Jill in postings over the last year

: > but I have never seen anyone describe what it is. I could not find a
: > reference in the FAQ, either. So just what is this mysterious ritual?

: Basically, it's a competition where one is matched with a partner at
: random: drawing names from a hat, or whatever. So both partners are judged
: on their *social* dance skills, their ability to lead and follow well and

In the UK I've heard this called a Paul Jone competition. Its very popular
for Adult and Child events and the like.

Paul.

Jeff Harvey

Dec 21, 1994, 1:13:13 PM12/21/94

>> > I have seen numerous references to Jack&Jill in postings over the last year
>> > but I have never seen anyone describe what it is. I could not find a
>> > reference in the FAQ, either. So just what is this mysterious ritual?
>>
>> Basically, it's a competition where one is matched with a partner at
>> random: drawing names from a hat, or whatever.
>
>Jack = guy
>Jill = girl
>
>Occasionally you come across Jack & Jack or Jill & Jill contests,
>and for as far as I know only the Southeastern Regional in Knoxville
>has a regular Jill & Jack (women leading men).
>--

My understanding of a "Jack and Jill" contest is one in which you don't
know who your partner is. The Jack and Jill contests I have seen have
had all the men and women who wanted to compete assembled and then
partnered in some "random" way.

Victor Eijkhout

Dec 21, 1994, 10:43:11 AM12/21/94

> > I have seen numerous references to Jack&Jill in postings over the last year
> > but I have never seen anyone describe what it is. I could not find a
> > reference in the FAQ, either. So just what is this mysterious ritual?
>

> Basically, it's a competition where one is matched with a partner at
> random: drawing names from a hat, or whatever.

Jack = guy
Jill = girl

Occasionally you come across Jack & Jack or Jill & Jill contests,
and for as far as I know only the Southeastern Regional in Knoxville
has a regular Jill & Jack (women leading men).
--

Victor Eijkhout ..................................... `As for his conducting,
Department of Computer Science ......................... "It was awful" said

rl...@cornell.edu

Dec 21, 1994, 9:16:14 AM12/21/94
> I have seen numerous references to Jack&Jill in postings over the last year
> but I have never seen anyone describe what it is. I could not find a
> reference in the FAQ, either. So just what is this mysterious ritual?

Basically, it's a competition where one is matched with a partner at

random: drawing names from a hat, or whatever. So both partners are judged
on their *social* dance skills, their ability to lead and follow well and

interpret the music, not on flashy moves. (Sometimes, of course, partners
draw the name of someone they've danced wtih many times before but that's
not the point of hte whole thing). This is the only kind of competition I
am in support of, though I have been too chicken to ever enter one.

Robinne Gray
rl...@cornell.edu
Ithaca, NY

Michael B. Smith

Dec 22, 1994, 9:28:37 AM12/22/94
In article <3d9ogm$o...@pheidippides.axion.bt.co.uk> psan...@srd.bt.co.uk (Paul Sanders) writes:

> rl...@cornell.edu (rl...@cornell.edu) wrote:
> : random: drawing names from a hat, or whatever. So both partners are judged
> : on their *social* dance skills, their ability to lead and follow well and
>
> In the UK I've heard this called a Paul Jone competition. Its very popular
> for Adult and Child events and the like.

Heh. Here a "Paul Jones" is a C&W mixer circle dance.
--
// Michael B. Smith
\X/ m...@adastra.cvl.va.us -or- uunet.uu.net!virginia.edu!adastra!mbs

Gail Zacharias

Dec 29, 1994, 12:26:36 AM12/29/94
In article <3d9ogm$o...@pheidippides.axion.bt.co.uk>, psan...@srd.bt.co.uk
(Paul Sanders) wrote:

In the gay dance circles, at least around Boston, these are known as
Pat&Pat.

---
Gail Zacharias
g...@cambridge.apple.com