OT (Sort of): Craig's List Scam Story (ha-ha-ha!)

trish_...@hotmail.com

Aug 21, 2008, 3:20:24 PM8/21/08
Remember two years ago or so when Gary Jobst warned all of us about
some e-mail scams going on? Where someone, posing as an out of town
parent (usually from the Congo or Zaire or some other far away place)
looking for dance lessons for their child, wants to send you a money
order for more than the agreed teaching amount in order to have you
give the balance to the child for spending money, living expenses,
etc? Or some such scenario, there are quite a few of them and they are
all written in very bad English (freetranslation.com gone wrong).

I've been aware of these scams for quite some time, I receive them on
a fairly regular basis and usually I delete them. Every now and then
when I'm feeling cantankerous I'll shoot back one-word reply,
something really witty and scathing like.... "butthead" or "scumbag,"
LOL.

I received one of these e-mails today and was going delete it as usual
when I was struck with a sudden urge. If they're going to try and scam
me, I'm going to give it back to them in spades. Here's the original e-
mail, underneath is my reply. Notice how his "daughter's" name is Rose
in one paragraph, and Debra in another.

This is just designed to amuse, I had a sort of perverse fun with it,
hope you do, too, Enjoy!

Original e-mail:
---------------
Hello Teacher,

My Names are Jide Samuel , 46 years old from Cotonu(Benin Republic). I
read your description on Craigslist.org and i am highly impressed and
Interested in your lessons.I need a Lessons Teacher for my Daughter
( Rose ) and i got your advertisement on Craigslist when am searching
via the Internet. My daughter will be coming down to your location for
vacation and i don't want her to be less busy without doing something,
and I have make decision that instead of her being less busy, she
should be attending your lessons.

Debra  is 18 years old and she'll like to learn anything that come her
way. So she will be coming for 3 hours a day (9am to 12pm) 5 times a
weeks or at your leisure period, so I want you to calculate the cost
for 4 weeks lessons and i will want us to make an arrangement for a
Hotel or Motel for her in your area where she will be staying for the
period of the vacations. And let me know if i can make subsequent
amount to show commitment in this lessons.

If you are interested in Tutor my Daughter,... Kindly get back to me
with this information below....
1.She will be coming for lessons 4 times a week....
2.Your Experienced In It....
3.Charge for an Hour.....
4.Total Charges for 4 weeks.....

Regards,
Mr Samuel

My response
-------------------------
Dear Mr. Samual:

Thank you for inquiring about dance lessons for your daughter.

Here are my terms for the number of hours/lessons requested:

$6,000 US for 3 hours per day, 5 days per week, 4 weeks.
US Cash only (no money orders, no checks, no bank drafts, no wire
transfers, no paypal).
100% payment required in advance no later than 96 hours (4 days)
before the first scheduled lesson.
Student and/or Parent/Responsible Party responsible for locating,
maintaining and paying for student's own room, boarding, lodging,
food, transportation, medical, travel, tourist, and any/all other
expenses.
Instructor not responsible for student’s attendance, attention,
application, talent, skill, progress, or lack thereof.
NO REFUNDS, NO CREDIT FOR MISSED LESSONS

Since your daughter Rose/Debra is 18 years of age she is considered of
legal age in this country and able to enter into a legal and binding
contract. Therefore, before we proceed I require both of you to print
and sign this contract indicating your agreement to the terms as
specified above.

Scan and .pdf the partially executed document and e-mail it back to me
as an attachment within the next 48 hours. Two (2) copies of the
partially executed agreement with original signatures will be due at
the time of payment as will copies of your passports.

Once I have received full payment per the contract, I will sign the
both copies of the partially executed agreement so that we both will
have fully executed copies for our records.

Additional contact information is also required for both of you (home
phone, business phone, cell phone, home mailing address, business
mailing address, etc.).

A copy of this fully executed contract, along with copies of your
passports, will be filed with the Department of State to ensure full
compliance on both sides.

Regards,

Trish Connery, Dance Instructor

Agreed and Accepted:

Jide Samuel, Parent/Responsible Party
Home Address: ______________________________________________
Business Address: ______________________________________________
Home Telephone: ______________________________________________
Business Telephone: ______________________________________________
Cell Telephone: ______________________________________________
E-Mail: ______________________________________________

Agreed and Accepted:

Rose/Debra Samuel, Student
Home Address: ______________________________________________
Business Address: ______________________________________________
Home Telephone: ______________________________________________
Business Telephone: ______________________________________________
Cell Telephone: ______________________________________________
E-Mail: ______________________________________________

Swin...@webtv.net

Aug 21, 2008, 4:24:25 PM8/21/08
You sure went to more trouble than I did. On two occassions, when I had
time to mess with them, I received two bogus $5,000 money orders. Since
then, I just delete.

There are only two ways of telling the complete truth - anonymously and
posthumously.
Thomas Sowell
****************************
I should never believe in a God who would not know how to dance.
Nietzche
****************************
Left wing, right wing? I'm for the whole bird.
****************************
Don't do any kinky stunts!
Houdini
****************************
Leave Naturally

Gene E. Bloch

Aug 22, 2008, 1:00:13 PM8/22/08
On 8/21/2008, trish_...@hotmail.com posted this:

> Remember two years ago or so when Gary Jobst warned all of us about
> some e-mail scams going on?

Much clippage...

OK, Trish, my curioity is aroused: has Mr Samuel answered yet?

:-)

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) letters617blochg3251

trish_...@hotmail.com

Aug 22, 2008, 7:01:40 PM8/22/08
On Aug 22, 10:00 am, Gene E. Bloch <spamf...@nobody.invalid> wrote:

> OK, Trish, my curioity is aroused: has Mr Samuel answered yet?

hahaha, somehow I don't think I'll be hearing back from him. I did
think it would make a cute screenplay if I did hear back and it was
actually a real offer, LOL. But not holding my breath on that one.

:^)