Gotham City is in New Jersey?????????

cra...@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu

May 4, 1991, 5:09:11 PM5/4/91

Greetings...

When last in a comic shop (a few days ago), I spotted something called
"The Atlas of the DC Universe" - put out by the people who make the "DC
Heroes Role-Playing Game". After perusing through it for a bit, it didn't
really seem good enough to buy, but I thought I would check out a few
facts that had been gnawing at the back of DC continuity for years:
THE LOCATIONS OF THE MAJOR DC CITIES IN THE UNITED STATES!

Well, here are the ones I remember. Locations weren't specified too
exactly, though:

METROPOLIS: In Southern Delaware! The map of the eastern USA shows it
to be inland (near the SW corner), but the close-up map of
the city shows kind of a "distorted" New York set-up - an
island between two rivers.

GOTHAM CITY: In South-West New Jersey! (As a native Joiseyan, I was
proud) 10 or 20 miles south of Carney's Point.

CENTRAL/KEYSTONE CITIES: In North-west Missouri - only a little bit
above KC. A little city called St. Joseph's is there in
"our" universe. These 'twin' cities straddle the river.

STAR CITY: In Northern California, I think. About halfway between
San Fransisco and the northern edge of the state.

HUB CITY: Somewhere in Illinois.

Now, these are FAAAAAAR from being "official" or "canon" - as the DC
people aren't willing to admit where these places are! But it was neat
to see what the Role-Playing people thought. They have been relatively
good about continuity, etc...

Just mindless trivia...

Steve Cranmer

gary michael feldman

May 4, 1991, 10:13:55 PM5/4/91
In article <10001.2...@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu> cra...@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu writes:
> METROPOLIS: In Southern Delaware! The map of the eastern USA shows it
> to be inland (near the SW corner), but the close-up map of
> the city shows kind of a "distorted" New York set-up - an
> island between two rivers.
>
> GOTHAM CITY: In South-West New Jersey! (As a native Joiseyan, I was
> proud) 10 or 20 miles south of Carney's Point.

Now this may or may not have to do with DC continuity, but hasn't it
always been obvious that Gotham City is supposed to be New York???
Gotham refers to New York (or at least part of it). In the Batman
Tv show (please don't flame me), they always made plays on famous
New York places, like New Guernsey for NJ, I think they had Lacy's
(although that might be AllMy CHildren).

Ialways thought Metropolis was supposed to be NY too, especially
after seeing the movies. But, I guess you can't judge by
these adaptations can you?

John Bullough

May 5, 1991, 12:35:30 PM5/5/91
In article <1991May5.0...@midway.uchicago.edu> gm...@quads.uchicago.edu (gary michael feldman) writes:
>In article <10001.2...@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu> cra...@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu writes:
>> METROPOLIS: In Southern Delaware! The map of the eastern USA shows it
>> to be inland (near the SW corner), but the close-up map of
>> the city shows kind of a "distorted" New York set-up - an
>> island between two rivers.
>>
>> GOTHAM CITY: In South-West New Jersey! (As a native Joiseyan, I was
>> proud) 10 or 20 miles south of Carney's Point.
>

>Now this may or may not have to do with DC continuity, but hasn't it
>always been obvious that Gotham City is supposed to be New York???

Gotham City and New York are definitely different cities. The Justice
League's embassy is in NYC, which is explicity named New York, while
Batman "commutes" to JLI meetings from Gotham. I kind of always imagined it
being in Jersey somewhere.

As far as Metropolis goes, I seem to think it was in Rhode Island, or
at least, near Rhode Island. Here's why:

The JL just before they became the JLI were based in a cave outside of
Metropolis. Later, they moved to New York, and the Doom Patrol moved into
the cave after they left Kansas City, around issue #20 of _DP_.
In the Doom Patrol, I remeber a blurb over one of the panels that
said "A cave somewhere in Rhode Island..." So I just assumed it was
that Metropolis must be in Rhode Island.

Granted, Metropolis and Gotham arer certainly _based_ on New York, as
Hub City is based on Chicago, and Star City is based on LA I think.
How did they start using all these fictional cities, anyway? As far
as I know Marvel doesn't, right?

--
John Bullough
bull...@rpi.edu

Tom Galloway

May 5, 1991, 6:02:17 PM5/5/91
bull...@itsgw.rpi.edu (John Bullough) writes:
>Gotham City and New York are definitely different cities.

The best comment I've heard about the location of Metropolis, Gotham City, and
New York is from Frank Miller. Metropolis is the good parts of Manhattan during
the day, while Gotham is the bad parts of New York after dark.

>Hub City is based on Chicago, and Star City is based on LA I think. How did
>they start using all these fictional cities, anyway? As far as I know Marvel
>doesn't, right?

Not quite. Hub City seems to be based on East St. Louis, at least that was the
net consensus the last time it came up. And Coast City was meant to be the DC LA
analogue; Hal Jordan worked for Ferris Aircraft there, and the LA area has a
number of aerospace companies (Seattle/Boeing would be another possibility,
except that Evergreen City seemed to be that analogue). I think Star City was
once set as being Boston, but I'm not sure. Given the Metropolis in Delaware
bit, it sounds like the atlas went with the locations given in the issue of
Amazing World of DC Comics (house fanzine) in the mid-70s. I believe that had
Midway City as Detroit, and Ivy Town as New Haven. Central City was either St.
Louis (which was Gateway City on Earth-2) or Chicago, and Keystone City was
Philadelphia (as Pennsylvania is the Keystone State).

As for the reason DC used fictional cities and Marvel didn't, it's pretty
simple. DC for the most part put each hero in a separate city (the exceptions
being the Earth-2 Green Lantern and Batman both in Gotham, and the Earth-1
Hawkman and Doom Patrol both in Midway, and perhaps a few of the unpowered
JSAers in New York; at least Roy Thomas set a number of them there. In retcons,
Suicide Slum and the Guardian were put in Metropolis, and Gangbuster and Booster
Gold were both put in Metropolis in the 80s). Instead of being constrained by
the geography of a specific city (sorry, there's no river running through the
middle of Manhattan...), they could use slightly disguised attributes of real
cities but also add in any other features they felt were needed for the story.
Also, it meant that an artist wouldn't have to either live in the city or have
to accumulate large amounts of source material to draw from. As an example, in
the first issue of the New Universe's Spitfire and the Troubleshooters, it
appeared that a dorm room had somehow come to exist right in the middle of MIT's
chemistry department since the artist was obviously working from a picture of
the main MIT complex. Except there aren't any dorms in that complex...

Marvel got around this by setting everything in Manhattan. Huge amounts of
source material, and until 1970 or so when Jack Kirby moved to California, every
artist and writer for DC and Marvel actually lived in the New York City area
anyway. However, you'll notice that they stop at the level of the city; Peter
Parker went to "Empire State University", not Columbia or CUNY.

"I mean, it's got all sorts of tall, pokey building and some really large squat
ones. So if you're fond of large urban areas, this one's by far your best bet."
--Batook's Guide to Awfully Big Cities, Third Edition
tyg t...@caen.engin.umich.edu

Cisco's Buddy

May 5, 1991, 5:21:37 PM5/5/91
In article <1991May5.0...@midway.uchicago.edu> gm...@quads.uchicago.edu (gary michael feldman) writes:

} Now this may or may not have to do with DC continuity, but hasn't it
} always been obvious that Gotham City is supposed to be New York???

Both Metropolis *and* Gotham City were intended to be analogs of NYC. As
Frank Miller once put it, Metropolis is New York by day, and Gotham City
is New York by night. At some point circa 1970, DC started de-emphasizing
their fictional cities and started using real cities more and more (though
obviously Superman and Batman were too entrenched in their respective
fictional cities to be moved elsewhere).

DC geography has always been a thorny question, and it gets brought up
here every so often. The basic answer is that DC itself has never made
any canonical decisions (at least until recently) about it all.

There are references, for instance, that place Metropolis and Gotham City
across a bay from each other, and at least one other that suggests that
Gotham, Metropolis, and New York are all clustered together. Other
references suggest that Metropolis is in New Jersey, or that Gotham is,
or that Gotham is in Pennsylvania, or is near Boston. And so forth and
so on.

In article <1z5...@rpi.edu>, bull...@itsgw.rpi.edu (John Bullough) writes...

} Granted, Metropolis and Gotham arer certainly _based_ on New York, as

} Hub City is based on Chicago, and Star City is based on LA I think.

Hub City is *not* based on Chicago, but a smaller city named East Chicago.

} How did they start using all these fictional cities, anyway? As far as
} I know Marvel doesn't, right?

Right, but then DC started publishing a lot earlier than Marvel. All, or
most, of DC's fictional cities were established parts of the mythos by the
40's.

--

"It flies like a truck." "Good. What is a truck?"

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, "The Mill", Maynard, MA)

boyajian%ruby...@DECWRL.DEC.COM or ...!decwrl!ruby.enet.dec.com!boyajian

JCS...@psuvm.psu.edu

May 5, 1991, 10:05:46 PM5/5/91
In article <516351f3...@caen.engin.umich.edu>, t...@CAEN.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU

>Not quite. Hub City seems to be based on East St. Louis, at least that was the
>net consensus the last time it came up.

You're half right. Exactly half right. According to Denny O'Neil himself (he
spoke at Penn State last year) when I asked him at a local shop book signing
session, Hub City is a combination of two Illinois cities. He made me swear
secrecy and said he'd deny all of it if anyone ever asked for proof, but since
you guessed one half, I'll at least acknowledge that much.

Yes, one half IS East St. Louis.

The two cities are places that Denny once worked in, one as a bottler, one as a
writer. About East St. Louis, he said the following...

-It's where he went as a college student to drink underage.
-It's so poor, they can't afford stoplight replacements once they broke.
-The main major road through that area was modified to completely bypass ESL.
-If your car breaks down there, you're dead.
-It's most junkies living there now.
-It's across the river from a town he and his wife now frequent.

Of the other city (which shall remain nameless out of respect for his request),
he said that when he was around there, the Principal of the high school told
the graduating class that the best thing they could do is get out of town as
soon as possible.

Can anyone verify or refute the stuff about East Saint Louis, i.e., is the
city actually like that?

-Akbar

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
.--. :\ John C. Straffin
/| \ ****** : : jcs...@psuvm.psu.edu
/ |____\__ * : \ * : : 226 E Beaver Ave
* | . . \ -*--:---\-*--: / :~~\ /~~\ :/~\ St College, PA 16801
| ____/ * : * :/\ : : /~~\: :
| .__\ ****** \ : \ :__/ \__/: : "I may grow old, but
| | : \ I'll never grow up!"
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Disclaimer, n. - a statement, document, or the like, that disclaims.

Mark Prince

May 5, 1991, 11:22:30 PM5/5/91
In article <1z5...@rpi.edu>, bull...@itsgw.rpi.edu (John Bullough) writes:

|> As far as Metropolis goes, I seem to think it was in Rhode Island, or
|> at least, near Rhode Island. Here's why:
|>
|> The JL just before they became the JLI were based in a cave outside of
|> Metropolis. Later, they moved to New York, and the Doom Patrol moved into
|> the cave after they left Kansas City, around issue #20 of _DP_.
|> In the Doom Patrol, I remeber a blurb over one of the panels that
|> said "A cave somewhere in Rhode Island..." So I just assumed it was
|> that Metropolis must be in Rhode Island.
|> --
|> John Bullough
|> bull...@rpi.edu

Metropolis was modeled after Providence, R.I.. At least the Daily Planet building was modeled after an insurance building in downtown Providence.
This building has a type of beacon which I can see outside my dorm room window.

Mark

Mark Prince

Bitnet: st102207@brownvm (/OO\) Internet: cs01...@cs.brown.edu
\__/

"I don't want the world. I just want your half." -- They Might Be Giants
"Hey there baby won't you tell me what a cowboy's supposed to do?
If they can't find a love, the horse will have to do." --Propaganda
Alias: Grifton, Ed the Wild Beaver, Romeo, and the Sperm On Fire

Cisco's Buddy

May 5, 1991, 6:51:09 PM5/5/91
In article <46...@ryn.mro4.dec.com>, boya...@ruby.dec.com (Cisco's Buddy) writes...

}} Hub City is based on Chicago, [...]

} Hub City is *not* based on Chicago, but a smaller city named East Chicago.

Ah, make that East St. Louis.

david pautler

May 6, 1991, 11:18:21 AM5/6/91
> About East St. Louis, he said the following...
>
> -It's so poor, they can't afford stoplight replacements once they broke.
> -The main major road through that area was modified to completely bypass ESL.
> -If your car breaks down there, you're dead.
> -It's most junkies living there now.
>
> Can anyone verify or refute the stuff about East Saint Louis, i.e., is the
> city actually like that?

It is so poor that they couldn't afford to pick up garbage for
several months at a time. Some sidewalks abruptly open up into deep pits,
and they aren't even marked by construction "flashers". Most of downtown
is boarded up. Everyone locks their doors when driving through, and I
certainly would fear for my safety if I had car problems. The populace
is mostly those who can't afford to move away - single parent black
households. The one beacon of hope is a perenially nationally ranked
high school sports program.
It has the highest tax rate in the state, and two of its neighborhoods
recently appeared at the top of a national list of poor cities. It's
right across the Mississippi from the Arch.

-- dp

Ted

May 6, 1991, 12:25:46 PM5/6/91
>In article <516351f3...@caen.engin.umich.edu>, t...@CAEN.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU
>>
>>Not quite. Hub City seems to be based on East St. Louis, at least that was the
>>net consensus the last time it came up.
>
>You're half right. Exactly half right. According to Denny O'Neil himself (he
>spoke at Penn State last year) when I asked him at a local shop book signing
>session, Hub City is a combination of two Illinois cities. He made me swear
>secrecy and said he'd deny all of it if anyone ever asked for proof, but since
>you guessed one half, I'll at least acknowledge that much.
>
>Yes, one half IS East St. Louis.

After someone mentioned this as a possibility in a lettercol, I
*knew* he was right.

>The two cities are places that Denny once worked in, one as a bottler, one as a
>writer. About East St. Louis, he said the following...
>
>-It's where he went as a college student to drink underage.
>-It's so poor, they can't afford stoplight replacements once they broke.
>-The main major road through that area was modified to completely bypass ESL.
>-If your car breaks down there, you're dead.
>-It's most junkies living there now.
>-It's across the river from a town he and his wife now frequent.

St. Louis, I would guess :-)

>Can anyone verify or refute the stuff about East Saint Louis, i.e., is the
>city actually like that?

Well, I've never lived in ESL, but I did spend 4 years of undergrad
at Washington University in St. Louis (tm and patent pending) and got
to see news from ESL as well on local news. Yeah, my
impression is that it *is* that bad. The number killed there a
year is pretty high, and per capita I'd guess among the top ten in
the nation. It is remerkable badly managed fiscally, and as a
result there are relatively frequent losses of public services.
There is a lot of poverty on the personal level, which breeds the
vices that are depicted in The Question ( drugs, corruption, etc.).
Some of the problem may be that it's got all the population
problems of being near St. Louis, but no way get its cut of the
higher tax bases that are just across the river. The result is
pretty grim.

As an indiction of the guy at the helm, a few years ago the Mayor
of ESL was going on a trip to Africa ( don't even ask me how he got
selected ) and he gave this quote to the papers: "I'm bringing
a supply of my own blood along so I don't get bitten by a monkey
and get AIDS." I *swear* I read this quote. It sounds unbelievable,
but I really saw it.

As a disclaimer, I never lived directly there, but like I say I got
to see four years of news.....

>-Akbar

"This calls for a special blend of applied psychology and extreme violence"
-Vyvian

Ted

Ben Gamble

May 6, 1991, 7:03:12 PM5/6/91

Some guy got beat up in jail, sued the city, and won a settlement.
The city couldn't pay and had to _give him City Hall_ as part of the
settlement. Ow.

--
Ben Gamble
gam...@owlnet.rice.edu

Theo O'Neal

May 6, 1991, 10:52:17 PM5/6/91
gam...@arcadien.rice.edu (Ben Gamble) writes:
>| It is so poor that they couldn't afford to pick up garbage for
>|several months at a time. Some sidewalks abruptly open up into deep pits,
>|and they aren't even marked by construction "flashers". Most of downtown
>|is boarded up. Everyone locks their doors when driving through, and I
>|certainly would fear for my safety if I had car problems. The populace
>|is mostly those who can't afford to move away - single parent black
>|households. The one beacon of hope is a perenially nationally ranked
>|high school sports program.
>| It has the highest tax rate in the state, and two of its neighborhoods
>|recently appeared at the top of a national list of poor cities. It's
>|right across the Mississippi from the Arch.

>Some guy got beat up in jail, sued the city, and won a settlement.
>The city couldn't pay and had to _give him City Hall_ as part of the
>settlement. Ow.

Being from East St. Louis myself, I can say that it's all true, and
worse. The aura of depression and waste there is overwhelming; noone really
thinks they can get away from it. Noone really tries, and it's a damn shame
when I go home on break and see some of my friends just wandering the streets
aimlessly. That's why i want to have a write a comic book with characters
based there. 8-O :)

How did the topic of my hometown come up in r.a.c. anyway???

"Hand in hand is the only way to land..."
The Cure
"The Lovecats"
Japanese Whispers
-------- --------

Dan'l DanehyOakes

May 8, 1991, 12:53:38 PM5/8/91
>In article <1991May5.0...@midway.uchicago.edu> gm...@quads.uchicago.edu (gary michael feldman) writes:

> Now this may or may not have to do with DC continuity, but hasn't it
> always been obvious that Gotham City is supposed to be New York???

O how complex a question, over such trivialities. Gotham is definitely a
port city; too much plot has depended on it. New York is as good a guess
as any.

Based on the current BATMAN storyline, it's pretty clearly *NOT* in
California or anywhere in the West.

Metropolis, now, is wherever the current writer needs it to be.

It is fairly well fixed as a seacoast town in most versions; but the Byrne
Superman comix seemed to put it in the midwest, something that a kid from
Kansas like Klark Kent would think of as "the big town" -- maybe Chicago or
St Looey. On the other hand, the 30th-Century Metropolis (at least in
the old-but-post-Crisis-timeline as featured in WHOS WHO IN THE LSH) was
definitely coastal: it was, approximately, Boswash.

Frank Miller makes it NYC -- he claims that "Metropolis is New York in the
daytime, while Gotham is New York at night." Slightly confusing since the
DC universe also has a New York (e.g., the site of Titans Tower).

The WORLDS FINEST miniseries seemed to establish Metropolis and Gotham as
about two hours' drive apart.

Ah has spoke!
-- Pansy Yokum
The Roach

Klaus Ole Kristiansen

May 9, 1991, 8:50:21 AM5/9/91

According to the Dark Knight series, Gotham city is "the
country`s second largest city." This seems to rule out NY.

BTW the Danish paper Jyllandsposten has an article about Central
City today. Central City is a gold rush town in Colorado.

Klaus Kristiansen

Antonio Romero

May 9, 1991, 1:43:12 PM5/9/91
In article <63...@pbhyc.PacBell.COM> djd...@PacBell.COM (Dan'l DanehyOakes) writes:
>>In article <1991May5.0...@midway.uchicago.edu> gm...@quads.uchicago.edu (gary michael feldman) writes:
>
>> Now this may or may not have to do with DC continuity, but hasn't it
>> always been obvious that Gotham City is supposed to be New York???

It clearly began life as a thinly disguised New York. Now, though...

>O how complex a question, over such trivialities. Gotham is definitely a
>port city; too much plot has depended on it. New York is as good a guess
>as any. Based on the current BATMAN storyline, it's pretty clearly *NOT* in
>California or anywhere in the West.
>Metropolis, now, is wherever the current writer needs it to be.
>It is fairly well fixed as a seacoast town in most versions

There are, however, port cities that are not seacoast cities-- I should
think there are several of these along the Mississippi, or along the
Great Lakes (though none spring to mind right now-- apart from the coasts,
I have a pretty poor sense of US geography). Is it definitely an ocean
port?

>but the Byrne Superman comix

(along with the Siegel and Shuster, by the way)

>seemed to put it in the midwest, something that a kid from
>Kansas like Klark Kent would think of as "the big town" -- maybe Chicago or
>St Looey.

I believe the winning answer was... Cleveland? (Definitely somewhere in
Ohio; I remember giggling over the fact that Metropolis was in what was
from a New Yorker's perspective the middle of nowhere...)

>On the other hand, the 30th-Century Metropolis (at least in
>the old-but-post-Crisis-timeline as featured in WHOS WHO IN THE LSH) was
>definitely coastal: it was, approximately, Boswash.

Who knows? Were our Metropolis and the 30th century one necessarily
the same city? (I honestly don't know-- I don't know anything about
Legion continuity that I haven't read here).

>Frank Miller makes it NYC -- he claims that "Metropolis is New York in the
>daytime, while Gotham is New York at night." Slightly confusing since the
>DC universe also has a New York (e.g., the site of Titans Tower).

The remark was only meant to describe the character of the two cities;
Metropolis has the same character as the "daylight" bustling side of
New York, while Gotham has all of the seedy/dangerous/menacing/dark
elements of New York at night. The remark was not meant to suggest that
New York *was* either of these cities.

I seem to remember seeing a map once that clustered Gotham and Metropolis
somewhere near New York, but I don't know where-- probably browsing some
friend's collection, back in college...

-Antonio Romero rom...@arisia.xerox.com

Robert W Leary

May 10, 1991, 11:25:26 AM5/10/91

It's interesting that Mayfair Games (the makers of the DC
Heroes RPG) decided to come out with this. The locations of most of
the DC cities have been known for years, since E. Nelson Bridwell
created the "map" for the DC universe sometime in the mid-seventies.
Some cities have moved, like Star City (used to be where
Boston is) and Central City (used to be where Athens, Ohio is), but
the overall locations of the cities now make much more sense.
BTW, does anyone else spot the "interesting" Rhode Island
skyline whenever the old JLA cave HQ is shown? It's been officially
stated that the location of this is "Happy Harbor, RI'" but the
closest city with a skyline like this is Providence. Unless
Metropolis has been moved to RI too...

Rob Leary
rle...@wpi.wpi.edu

Henry Spencer

May 11, 1991, 9:20:06 PM5/11/91
In article <1991May9.1...@odin.diku.dk> kl...@diku.dk (Klaus Ole Kristiansen) writes:
>According to the Dark Knight series, Gotham city is "the
>country`s second largest city." This seems to rule out NY.

You can rule out everything if you select your evidence carefully enough.
I think this is in the regular welcome-to-r.a.c postings: it is quite
impossible to solidly identify Metropolis and Gotham City as specific
real cities, because even simple things like the distance between them
change from one story to the next. Historically, Metropolis was almost
certainly 1930s Cleveland (yes, really; that city has changed a lot...)
and Gotham City was almost certainly New York. These days both of them
tend to be viewed as New York clones, whence Miller's famous comment.
--
And the bean-counter replied, | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important". | he...@zoo.toronto.edu utzoo!henry

James Michael Rankin

May 13, 1991, 1:23:54 AM5/13/91
>On the other hand, the 30th-Century Metropolis (at least in
>the old-but-post-Crisis-timeline as featured in WHOS WHO IN THE LSH) was
>definitely coastal: it was, approximately, Boswash.

I seem to remember that in WWitLSH Metropolis had expanded to engulf all
of the cities stretching from Boston to Baltimore or some huge area. I
bet the idea was a continuation of something I heard in grade school,
that all of the northeast coastal cities were expanding to the point
that it was believed that soon it would be undistinguishable where one
city ended and the next began.

I'll have to go home and look this up. Also, I think an Elliot S!
Maggin Superman annual had hints on the location of Gotham/Metropolis
when Superman is transported to "Earth Prime" ("our" Earth) and comments
on the difference in location of various cities and the abscence of
certain others (i. e. the DC universe ones).

or I could be wrong . . .
-jimbo

masu...@ecs.umass.edu

May 13, 1991, 7:39:35 AM5/13/91
> I know in one pre-Crisis issue of the Legion of Super Heroes, Batman goes
>into the future to find that Metropolis "swallows up" Gotham city. So,
>at least back then they must have been pretty close. Of course, that WAS
> pre crisis.
-Michael Sullivan Masu...@Ecs.Umass.edu (I hope this works this time)

Robert Mark Ballasty

May 13, 1991, 6:59:57 PM5/13/91
These locations have changed as needed for a story and with the post-Crisis
effects thrown in.
Star City was shown on some map way back to be where Boston is, but I
always placed it on the West Coast, somewhere near Coast City and LA, so Arrow
and Black Canary could show up towards the end of Green Lantern. Also, their
back-up series in Detective had Ollie living in a city, hot climate, and maybe
Hispanic.
They moved to Seattle, where Dinah sewed Ollie a new, warm costume for
that "colder climate".
Green Lantern shuffled between LA and "Coast City" (actually, I'm not
really sure). Guy Gardner was a gym teacher in "East City", later retconned
to Baltimore. John Stewart was from Detroit.
Keystone City was probably a Philadelphia clone, and Roy Thomas put it
"near" Philly. Post-Crisis, Keystone and Central City were made "twin cities".
Midway City (Hawkman II) was somewhere in the Midwest.

Paulo A. Pereira

May 13, 1991, 6:50:50 PM5/13/91

Yes, as Continuity Cop for DC's Who's Who series, I have found proof that
Gotham is NOT in New Jersey! In the 'Joe Potato' entry of the latest
issue, Joe (who kindly wrote his own entry) says something about a certain
group of people going over to Jersey (or something like that). There --
in a Gothamite's OWN WORDS! Now put those damn Mayfair Whatevers down, and
read REAL comic-books! 8-]

Also, at the end of the letter page, it is stated that 'Mazing Man won't be
used because he's not in "The DC Universe". Does this mean that EVERYTHING
in "Who's Who" IS in the DC Universe. I didn't realize that "Monster in
My Pocket", "Angel & the Ape", and "Shade the Changing Man" were all in
the same universe as Superman and Batman! Hey ... that puts the Inferior Five
in the same universe too, since Angel is related to Dumb Bunny!

And in other news ... anyone know what's going on with Zatanna? Is she still
getting "God"head, so to speak? Was she in The Books of Magic? Can't wait
to see her in WW!

-paulo

Cthulhu's Jersey Epopt

May 17, 1991, 3:23:39 PM5/17/91
to cje
In article <58...@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>

> Also, at the end of the letter page, it is stated that 'Mazing Man won't be
> used because he's not in "The DC Universe". Does this mean that EVERYTHING
> in "Who's Who" IS in the DC Universe.

That's what I thought they meant, too.

> I didn't realize that "Monster in My Pocket", "Angel & the Ape", and "Shade
> the Changing Man" were all in the same universe as Superman and Batman!

Is MONSTER IN MY POCKET getting a WHO'S WHO entry? (Heck, is it even from DC?
Something says no, but I haven't paid attention to MIMP.) It hasn't gotten one
to date.

ANGEL AND THE APE have long been part of the regular DC universe, having made
appearances in CRISIS (after the Great Smooshing Together Of Worlds) and SWAMP
THING. Even if they weren't before, they are now, now that Sam is related to
Gorilla Grodd.

SHADE is nominally in the DC universe, but since the current author doesn't
want to be bound by past continuity, that's a tough one to call.

What surprises me is that Wild Dog is apparently part of the DC universe, too.
I'm not aware of anything else to date that has made such a claim.

> And in other news ... anyone know what's going on with Zatanna? Is she still
> getting "God"head, so to speak? Was she in The Books of Magic?

She played an important part in BOOKS OF MAGIC #2. She's been back from
Godhead, so to speak, ever since SPECTRE #7, which was a year or so after
CRISIS.
--
Yog-Sothoth Neblod Zin,

Chris Jarocha-Ernst
UUCP: c...@elbereth.rutgers.edu
BITnet: JAROCHAERNST@ZODIAC
Rutgers University Computing Services, Piscataway, NJ 08855-0879

RD Francis

May 17, 1991, 5:31:45 PM5/17/91
ol...@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Paulo A. Pereira) writes:
> I didn't realize that "Monster in My Pocket", "Angel & the Ape", and "Shade
> the Changing Man" were all in the same universe as Superman and Batman!

Is MONSTER IN MY POCKET getting a WHO'S WHO entry? (Heck, is it even from DC?
Something says no, but I haven't paid attention to MIMP.) It hasn't gotten one
to date.

MONSTER IN MY POCKET is published by Harvey, who I believe now has
three imprints. I think the one that comes out under will soon be
publishing a BACK TO THE FUTURE comic. The other two are the one
under which the traditional Harveys (CASPER, RICHIE RICH, etc.) are
published (Harvey Classics, maybe?), and the Harvey Rockomics label
which puts out the NKOTB sh^Htuff.
--
R David Francis fra...@cis.ohio-state.edu

Melinda J. Klump

May 18, 1991, 2:31:35 PM5/18/91
I think the character that was being referred to in the original posting
was intended to be Stanley and his Monster and not Monster in My Pocket?

am I correct?

michael j pastor iii
guest in melinda's pocket